The Flame-Free Confession Thread II

Similar scenario but different: my gym ran a novice meet a month ago or so. I helped out as a spotter/leader. It was just a push/pull. I was really, really surprised when multiple people hit the rack on bench and weren’t red lighted for it. Every judge was a reasonably experienced PLer at least. I know it’s just a novice meet, but I’d feel bad if any of the lifters went to a sanctioned meet without knowing this was a rule.

One of the novice comps in Melbourne has the following rule regarding contacting the uprights, under causes for disqualification in the bench press:

• Contact between the bar and the bar rest uprights during the lift to assist the completion of the
    press .

Maybe your had the same and the contact was deemed to have not assisted the lift in anyway ?

Nope. Wasnt even mentioned in the lifters’ brief. PL rules are any contact of bar with bench structure at any point as far as I’m aware, and of feet likewise. The novice rules are close, I guess that’s why they have them.

The funny thing was, the judges were super vigilant on butt coming off bench. Go figure.

Yer feet is also in the novice rules here. Weird they called a little but lift and not this. Go figure !!

I have mix feelings In novice divisions when free passes are given.

My feelings about it aren’t mixed. It’s a disservice to the lifter and the sport.

1 Like

Surely the question is whether it was in the rules or not. The issue then is with the rules themselves not the judging.

But why is that a rule? I’ve never been assisted by hitting the rack. The result is quite the opposite.

1 Like

Yeah we are on the same page

2 Likes

IPF changed their rules a few years ago i think, now they say “Deliberate contact between the bar and the bar rests support” is reason for disqualification of a bench attempt. I like it this way, as others said, typically touching the rack makes it harder to finish the lift.

Much like hitching a dead or a loading event, you can press the bar into the rack, regroup/rest and then reattack the press.

1 Like

When I’m dieting or cutting I like to play little will power games with myself, “I’m hungry, but I’ll bet I can push this meal out another 30 minutes, if you can make it 30, you can make it another 15.”

Really does kill time, surprisingly.

I play similar will power games. When I’m cutting and I eat bad I like to see how long I can go before eating bad again. Same basic concept, results are a little different :joy:

1 Like

I try that then my body does the same back and tells me " I bet you cant binge eat after dinner after sticking religiously to your macros all day and have 3 PB&J sandwiches, a dozen cookies, 4 bowls of cereal, 2 nutty bars, whatever gummy candy you can steal from the kids, then a few handfuls of goldfish for the salt to counterbalance the sweets" so I feel obliged to prove him wrong

3 Likes

I can taste thing in my dreams… is that normal?

I had a dream about eating chocolate cake last night and woke up freaking out at the “indulgence”. I swear I actually ate the cake until I realized that we didn’t have cake in the house and that the last time I had cake was 5 years ago.

1 Like

It depends what someone is putting in your mouth when you’re asleep !!

3 Likes

You should explore out of body experiences. Read Journeys Out of the Body by Robert Monroe.

Hit me up in this thread if you want WooWoo Stuff - All Things Woowoo

5 years without cake?

How do you live? How do you live?!

2 Likes

Flame free bro.

Settle down Gramps. All fun, no flame.

1 Like