New Formatting Look

White background is fine. The overall look of the site is like going back in time but I’ll get used to it.
The main issue is bring back the article discussion threads.
It was the single best thing about this website. You could actually ask the author questions about his/her article.

2 Likes

@Angus1:

This was an example of a change that (IMO) was MUCH bigger than this one. It really significantly changed how one interacted with authors and responded to articles. As I recall; it wasn’t a “change just for the sake of change”; it had some mix of legal/business/attracting good authors/etc. implications. (I can’t remember all the specifics). I almost never respond to an article now or ask a lot of questions (like in the past). It just became too convoluted and complex…and the response of the authors is really hit and miss now. (Again…this was a HUGE change).

1 Like

(This is regrettable…because some authors…like Dani Shugart…have posted some simply outstanding articles).

Actually I can’t see it staying like this for too long. It’s almost unreadable with everything the same color, no boxes and quotes mashing into one big ugly set of words.
I doubt too many people will suffer through pages of this look when there are more user friendly forums elsewhere.

At least the articles are still readable and easy to find.

2 Likes

My feelings exactly.
I’ve had black, and I want to go back!

1 Like

Now that I mysteriously am able to log back in when I couldn’t yesterday…

The new format makes it easier to bold, link, etc. so that’s a plus.

Haven’t logged into here from my smart phone yet but if that’s been made easier, that’s also a plus.

The profile pics should be larger and square or rectangular - like the old site. This is still a meathead forum first and foremost, is it not…? Those of us who actually bust ass in the gym should show that we walk the talk.

Agree with Rampantbadger there should be a post count below the profile, like the old site. This, along with the larger profile pics, gives me an idea who is worth listening to and who is full of shit.

Thumbs Up feature is nice but there should also be a Thumbs Down.

Emojis…? I’ve long believed that’s what unimaginative people with poor writing skills resort to. But that’s my opinion. Can’t wait 'til some clown quotes this with gigantic emoticons.

FWIW, I have purchased T-Nation products (just not off the MinotaurXXX account). Although I like the products and the spirit of the old site, I hope this new format is a work in progress and those in control use the feedback posted here to make improvements.

I really prefered the old background(I can’t log in with my original account that’s why I use a new one)

Great, now all the oldertimers know how to bold things…

3 Likes

Is there a fast way to go to your training log anymore?

The best way I’ve found so far is… click the round avatar in the top right, then click your username. That will take you to your profile page. Then click “Topics” in the list on the left, and your log should show up near the top on the right.

I hate the change to be honest, very little to like at all… And I have tried.

The lack of proper pages in threads and real user signatures and pictures / join date / post count etc. at the side of each post are annoying and make navigating and following threads painful; the change in color scheme to this washed-out, depressing white and gray makes the site seem bleak and unwelcoming; posts from before the change are now virtually unreadable, rendering a great part of the forums’ former value worthless; and, importantly, the tone of the recent FAQs etc. is petty and unbefitting a site aimed towards strength, performance, and physique enthusiasts - I believe the emojis etc. are part of this same movement in the wrong direction.

A further problem is the lack of basic functionality. Having been unable to sign in with my original login, I attempted to set it up with the sign up page, but now I’m stuck with an account that puts a “1” after my username and doesn’t let me access my previous posts properly, despite it having precisely the same username when I enter it AND the same password.

This site has been a great resource in the past, but this change has made it so painful to use and even look at that I’m struggling to justify staying. Hopefully there can be at least some sort of resolution.

You can also bookmark threads. They’ll show up listed in the Bookmark section of your profile.

For more fun forum facts and posting tips, check this super-helpful thread. :smirk:

Try any of the tips from this thread.

try to stay on topic

1 Like

I firmly believe T-Nation cheaped out on its web developers and maybe on its testers as well. Considering we pay nothing for this site I can’t really complain.

I’ll give you a metaphor for what you did here T-Nation: its as if you had a good 675 deadlift and you randomly decided that the old technique needed tweaking so you hired a 22 year old exercise science graduate instead of going to Westside and your deadlift technique improved, but it stayed at 675 at the same speed.

Anyway.

The white doesn’t really bother me, what bothers me is that the new layout isn’t organized. The old layout was in nicely packed squares and rectangles and everything was separated from everything else. This new layout pretty much puts everything all over the place. Even if it was yellow on black it would still be a mess. That’s really the only issue here.

Other than that I’ll have to play around with it for a bit to give more feedback.

I do like the option of being able to scroll through the thread while replying.

EDIT: It also took me 20 min to figure out how to log back into my account.

That will work, thanks LoRez.

Really, really do not like the new look. I can get used to aesthetics after a while–and everything changes in time anyway–but I am not AT ALL happy with the organization.

It is crowded, and as the man above me just said the old site was packed neatly in to squares and rectangles and very organized.

More importantly, it is a lot harder on the eyes. I read hours and hours every day on pubmed and other academic research sites for my job, and I get noticeable eye fatigue. Was never a problem for T-Nation in the yellow on black scheme. I could read forever and never have a problem.

Most importantly of all however, is that I really despise the long single chain layout for threads–instead of pages with a limited scope, now all replies are in one single thread and just load up (on my phone at least).

This is a big problem for trying to keep track of large threads. I have trouble backtracking through the thread to find the one post I wanted to reply to–yes, as odd as it is, I do usually want to read the entire thread before going back to respond. It is a big annoyance for medium size threads with 60+ replies, but for long threads with 100s of replies? Forget it.

I would be much less inclined to ever use this site in its present format, and that is not due to the aesthetics. Seeing as I do not have internet at home, the only time I use this is on my phone (it is my internet service) unless I am at work.

This is extremely annoying to use and try to track things on my phone. That means I will use it much, much less.

1 Like

The new topic button doesn’t seem to work on mobiles?

Anyway, posting here will have to do… Anyone know how to view images from old posts in the new forum? They appear as text amd cutting and pasting the link doesn’t seem to work.