Mayweather vs McGregor

LOL. Spend some time in a boxing gym and watch boxers spar with “street fighters” and “MMA” guys after finishing up with their actual workouts. Guys walk in off the street and want to show off their skills against boxers all the time. The same scene plays out just about every time. Hands up, walk to the new guy and let him blow his load until he’s had enough. This time, people were just dumb enough to pay money to watch that shit.

2 Likes

Conor beautifully boxed Floyd out of his comfort zone for several rounds.

Nobody disputed that Floyd would be the overwhelming favorite.

Your comparison with someone basically walking by borders on the conspiratorial side of reality. He did ridiculously well, catching TBE defensive boxer again and again.
Do you know a boxer that managed to hit Mayweather that often? Do you imply that he let Conor catch him?

I loved that they made a real showing of this (maybe on purpose). I also love that Connor landed a hammer fist. I thought hammer fists never get used in boxing because they’re stupid and leave you wide open to counters, turns out they’re illegal.

Does someone have a link to the official boxing rabbit punch rule? I can’t find how it actually reads. Some of those “back of the head” hits looked legit. The one rule I found said nothing behind the ears. And it didn’t look dirty/intentional. If anything it bothered Maywether and took him off his game.

Not bad for a circus act.

He never caught him. Mayweather took two years off, trained for a few months, and made a guy wear himself out like a reasonably tough and well-conditioned “street fighter” trying to walk into a gym and spar does.

I’m a huge fan of Floyd’s boxing talent & style, so I love watching him make his opponents miss. But Floyd definitely got caught clean with that counter uppercut in round 1. That’s a shot he’ll get joked on for the rest of his life. I burst out laughing when he got caught with that shot - I imagine many boxers did too. He just wasn’t expecting that. Conor legitimately surprised him with some of the stuff he did in there. Conor landed some other shots but they were light and relaxed (good strategy), Floyd definitely isn’t comfortable coming in like that with his hands up. He looked like a worse version of Joshua Clottey, lmfao. But he did it to make the fight more entertaining and to let Conor tire out, throwing shots against his guard while constantly being pressured. So that was pretty impressive to see from Floyd. He’s usually philly shelled up making people come to him, he was a bit out of his comfort zone in there.

Nick, I’m going to respond one last time to you.

It’s not my business to make you see what I perceive as factual reality. But maybe others reading this can take something productive out of our little dispute.

When two people witness one event from the same point of view yet come to very different conclusions, something is afoot.
With sport film footage, it should be comparatively easy to deduce truth since our perspective is EXACTLY the same and there is not much in terms of contextual layers.

1. Your comparison is just insane.
    So a bum walks in and boxers can tire them out. Got that.
    But McGregor is no bum. Which “guy who walks in off the street” sparred national and world champs?

(Btw I’ve trained in several boxing gyms and never seen something like that. I’ve seen and experienced countless sparrings, feuds, uneven beatings, kos, even brawls between nonfighters but never an assault on an amateur passing by. Are you training in a ghetto or a warzone?)

McGregor objectively took whole ROUNDS from Mayweather. You could argue for a score of 5-4 before the 10th round, in favour of McGregor. Are you telling me that Mayweather was 100% sure that McGregor would fade? What if his endurance would be just a little better? What if he clinched a little more (which he could and should have btw)?
In the end, the strategy paid off, but we all know if things were a little different, McGregor could’ve well made it through till the last round.

1. “he never caught him”

In an age of abundant video footage, this is straight up make belief.
The first hit I get from YT

There’s some beautiful hits against the world’s most defensively sound boxer.

Furthermore, Floyd did something I never saw him doing and which is completely frowned upon.
I saw friends lose fights because of that behaviour in otherwise good scraps.
He exposed his back and turned away. You completely give up control and look helpless.
Top10 pros don’t do this versus bums.
Was that part of his strategy, too?

I’m curious to see if any die-hard MMA fans who legitimately thought Conor would win, learned anything from the fight, and if so what? I mean there was lots of talk about the substantial reach advantage, substantial weight advantage for Conor, substantial age difference in favor of Conor, the fact that Floyd was coming off a 2 year lay off, the idea that Floyd would just run the whole fight, and the idea that Floyd can’t punch at all etc … I mean, people who watch both sports & respect both sports mostly saw this exact result coming.

The one thing i’d like to point out, is what McGregor pointed out several times immediately after the fight - and he literally seemed shocked by it: how composed & relaxed Mayweather was in there. Most people just don’t understand this component of boxing. That could literally be the most important aspect of boxing in a 10-12 round fight, and people just kept overlooking it.

It’s evident that Conor was TRYING to stay composed & relaxed, while Floyd was simply composed and relaxed. Major difference.

1 Like

I understand that most have no experience in boxing, but you don’t go right back to what you were doing after you get caught. You just try to survive until the haze wears off. Mayweather got caught by Shane Mosley. Having to readjust your feet in round one is not the same as being caught. Mcgregor landed some punches.

I doubt any do. Walk in and spar with guys that have been in the gym for six months or a year? Tons.

Pretty much agree, though I do give Conor credit for landing that Uppercut counter in the first round. It didn’t hurt Floyd, but it was a nice counter nonetheless.

After the 2nd round it was pretty much Floyd masterfully utilizing minimal energy to get Conor to punch himself out while Floyd incurred minimal damage on the process (absorbing most of his punches on his firearms and/or gloves). Then once he began to tire and his athleticism could no longer save him Floyd started to exploit his skill advantage and land more solid shots on him.

I thought the stoppage was justified. Floyd was landing repeated solids shots on an increasingly passive and wobbly McGregor who had stopped effectively fighting back. No need to let him continue to take damage at that point when it was clear that he had lost the ability/desire to fight back or defend himself effectively. He had zero chance of KO’ing Floyd or winning on points at that point, so why let him incur more brain trauma? It’s not like this was for the Belt.

1 Like

Exactly this. I stand by my earlier point that MMA and boxing are very different sports. Mayweather is one of the greats and it played out as most expected; Mayweather simply waited for Conor to fatigue himself and drop his hands, and when he did Mayweather took full advantage. That’s how a man with all those physical advantages lost. He didn’t have anywhere near the the same skill level.

3 Likes

Yes, he did land a punch. Did anyone expect a 40 year old to come off of a two-year layoff and not be touched? Anyone willing to throw punches and risk being punched in return is going to land some, against anyone. Especially when that person is coming from a related sport, in excellent physical condition, and has been training for a single opponent for months.

I just saw and realized today that people are saying Mayweqther beat Marciano’s record. How in the fuck…?

btw… if Conor hadn’t thrown so many useless hammer fists, he might have been able to make it to round 11. Seriously, what a waste of energy.

I keep hearing people talk about “will Conor transition to boxing?!”. No.

He’d have to fight someone like GGG (Gennady Golovkin) at 154. After seeing his performance against Floyd, people seriously, that he’d be able to compete with a guy like GGG in his prime who punches like a Tank? In boxing, 147-154 is stacked with monsters. Stick to MMA Conor, but take more fights at 170 :smiley:

2 Likes

I give Connor lots of credit, he performed well, but some of the comments I’m reading online about him landing more shots than Pacquiao etc. are bordering on ridiculous. Connor did well the first 3-4 rounds because that was part of Floyd’s strategy to let Connor expend energy and then come forward later in the fight and KO an exhausted McGregor.

Connor had every conceivable physical advantage. He was bigger, stronger, younger, taller, hit harder and had more reach. A 40 year old Floyd who had already been visibly declining in his last couple of fights and had not fought in 2 years handled him easily and got his first KO in something like 10 years (I don’t count the Victor Ortiz cheap shot).

Connor landed more shots than Manny because of the style chose to fight, not because he is in any way a better boxer than Manny. I think Floyd landed over 50% of his power shots and would surely have dropped McGregor if the ref had not stepped in.

4 Likes

Didn’t watch it, didn’t need to. I never doubted the outcome, just surprised it didn’t go the distance.

1 Like

I give Connor credit for making it look like it was going to be competitive, but for boxing fans most realized in the first round that Floyd had zero respect for Connor’s vaunted power left…if Connor fought GGG or a boxer that moves forward instead of Floyd who typically moves backwards, he would’ve been put away in the first 4. Still credit to Connor for making it look like it was going to be a scrap if only for the first 5 rounds or so

1 Like

conor trained well i am not surprised by that.
I have to mention positivly floyds aggressiveness and his approach to move forward the entire fight. It was clear that he did not plan on driving this home savely. Also he punched harder then mcgregor , you could hear it clearly when he landed .

And although the stoppage was correct it would have been better for “worldpeace” if they would have let the fight continue until he was knocked down.

good job by both and we all learned absolutly fucking nothing out of it.

The real loss from this fight are people who paid to watch it.

3 Likes