Mayweather vs McGregor

Meh, just because it wasn’t a ‘real’ fight, doesn’t mean it wasn’t entertaining.

Although $60- $70 is a bit rich for 40minutes of television.

I give Floyd that credit, for not throwing any punches for 3 rounds. The whole thing was COMPLETELY in Floyds hands for the entire fight. Never a doubt.

7 Likes

The real loss is how many times i’ve seen people talk about the real loss being those who paid to watch it.

The undercard was great. The circus event was fun to watch.

Floyd got a whole lot of people paid.

1 Like

I watched he whole thing on instagram live srs

The combat forum really has deteriorated with so many low quality posts.

It goes without saying that the fight was a great gain for martial arts.

Was it worth 100 bucks? How about taking economic arguments to the political subforum, its worth whatever people pay, duh.

The numskulls who brag and signal how little interest they had and how unremarkable the fight was do so at their loss.
Those guys would’ve talked shit about the MMA revolution.

“What’s even the point of seeing a wrestler take on a boxer?”

McGregor used a style that could without doubt defeat Floyd’s. To the champs credit, he switched tactics on his own and put on a sombrero.

The Irish even took multiple rounds and made Floyd reel from a punch to the spleen.

Yeah, nothing to see here, you guys are really great Internet warriors, I’m in awe.

1 Like

Mayweather said in the post fight news conference that he chose to be more aggressive and move forwards rather than just sitting back and “playing it safe” which would have likely resulted in McGregor landing far fewer punches but wouldn’t have been as exciting.

I guess you can speculate that he was just making excuses for getting hit more often than usual “because Conor is such a good striker that he took Floyd out of his game,” but, judging by the fact that Floyd has fought much better boxers than Conor in his career and fought this fight completely differently than he usually does (coming forwards for at least the last 6 if not 7 rounds of the fight, which is always going to result in someone getting hit more often than if they choose to hang back and “run” or “sharp shoot”) I’d say that’s probably just wishful thinking.

Mayweather did give McGregor credit for using angles and being better than he had thought he was before the fight, and I think it’s fair to say that, for an MMA fighter who was not a boxer to start out, Conor did pretty well (considering he was in the ring with one of the best, if not the best, boxers of this generation and arguably in the history of the sport).

But, IMO there is a difference in saying that Conor didn’t look like a complete embarrassment in the ring and did pretty well considering he has no boxing experience, and thinking that he really had anything other than a lucky punch’s chance of winning that fight.

1 Like

Why would anyone have reason to not believe Floyd in this scenario? He stated he would do this a few times before the fight, but I don’t think anyone believed him, especially Conor - lmao. Imagine if he had just “run” all fight, countering and pot-shotting, Then it would have looked like a typical Floyd fight with a rare TKO at the end - same end result regardless of styles. Floyd fought 49 times before the Conor fight, he never once fought like that. So I tend to believe Floyd that he wanted to walk Conor down, make it a bit more exciting. Floyd could have easily danced around the ring, pissing everyone off, then hurt Conor towards the middle to late rounds. The style he chose for this fight was sloppy, but made it far more exciting I imagine.

2 Likes

I got the impression that Mayweather really wasn’t fighting until the sixth round. He just moved around and threw random shots here and there.

That being said… I think McGregor did significantly better than anyone outside of his camp expected him to do.

And I honestly do believe that McGregor gave Mayweather more trouble than he expected in the first three rounds.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to imply that there was ever even a chance that McGregor would win, or that he could even challenge Mayweather in a realistic fashion.

So Mayweather is going back into retirement… What’s the next step for McGregor?

He is going to challenge the world chest grandmaster, Magnus Carlsen. How can Magnus prepare for him?

4 Likes

Heard he has Michael Phelps on speed dial, he’s reeling from the loss to the shark during Shark Week, if he’s ever been vulnerable…it’s now!

3 Likes

You just can’t prepare for Conor!

I saw he said he’d fight Diaz again if he drops down to 155 or some shit.

Well yes . . .

Ha! Yeah I had seen this on social media, I got a kick out of it!

the michael phelps thing is totally legit, you guys need to learn :slight_smile:

• what if conor has some solid strikes on the first couple of meters?
  • conor will surprise michael phelps with unpredictable moves in the water !
  • conor is training water movements since he was a child
    -michael phelps is old
  • you can’t prepare for Conor
4 Likes