Annoyed in Mainstream Gyms

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
I have more of problem with people’s proactive fuckery. I don’t mind micro Y-backs, shitty form, and flexing pumped 14 inch arms that shit is irritating but doesn’t cause me lost sleep. My problem is when my workout is affected by the 0 fuck given by some of my lesser considerate brothers in iron. Equipment misuse, hoarding the cable crossover machine with some misunderstood tabata routine they plulled outta Musclemag. That’s the problem. Local clubs tend to have a family values like back with Arnold and his gang. At Joe’s Gym it was like that, at Metroflex it was like that.

However these big gym chains churn out products, not people. So having said that, today I was doing hamstrings, and later in my workout, I was doing stiff-legged deadlifts; slight bend knees full contraction minding my own business when, what appears out the corner of my eye is a skinny-musclehead staring briefly comes over to me. “Hey brother, I think you’re doing it wrong”, he said. And I proceeded to inquire why did he feel so inclined to correct me and what exactly did I do wrong. He said, " you have to come all the way up and stretch at the top!" I explained to this half-tard that I was doing hammies (i.e. Constant tension) He told me he never had heard of that and storms off.[/quote]

Most people do not talk to the big guys, what your experiencing is rare behavior no reason to think that it is common.

[quote]FattyFat wrote:

I have more of problem with people’s proactive fuckery. I don’t mind micro Y-backs, shitty form, and flexing pumped 14 inch arms that shit is irritating but doesn’t cause me lost sleep. My problem is when my workout is affected by the 0 fuck given by some of my lesser considerate brothers in iron. Equipment misuse, hoarding the cable crossover machine with some misunderstood tabata routine they plulled outta Musclemag. That’s the problem. Local clubs tend to have a family values like back with Arnold and his gang. At Joe’s Gym it was like that, at Metroflex it was like that.

However these big gym chains churn out products, not people. So having said that, today I was doing hamstrings, and later in my workout, I was doing stiff-legged deadlifts; slight bend knees full contraction minding my own business when, what appears out the corner of my eye is a skinny-musclehead staring briefly comes over to me. “Hey brother, I think you’re doing it wrong”, he said. And I proceeded to inquire why did he feel so inclined to correct me and what exactly did I do wrong. He said, " you have to come all the way up and stretch at the top!" I explained to this half-tard that I was doing hammies (i.e. Constant tension) He told me he never had heard of that and storms off.[/quote]

You come across as having a good head on your shoulders.

What I’m about to say can be misconstrued as being ignorant or not keeping an open mind on other perspectives, but:
you were giving a person you’ve instantaneously classified as ‘a skinny-musclehead’ a forum to critique your form. So, on the one hand, that speaks highly of you from information gathering and respecting people perspective. On the other hand - and I wouldn’t say this if you wouldn’t appear as being pissed by your ‘critic’ - you would’ve been better off not giving that guy both your ear and time.

I guess you know what I’m getting at: classification has its purpose, although it can have negative consequences, too. As with every tool, there are trade-offs involved.

Sure, maybe the guy used to be big, once. And maybe he’s very well educated in exercise physiology and stuff. Hey, why not both? Then again: highly unlikely. Case closed.

I’m 30, now, and have a very good grasp at whom and what to pay attention to and what not. Did I have this with 15? Hell, no! With 18? To a greater degree, yeah. But not the balls to go through with it.

Not meaning to sound condescending, just sharing my thoughts, since you comport yourself as a responsible and respectful person demanding the same from his environment, but not getting it (in the gym).
[/quote]

Very true good post.

[quote]Builder wrote:
I dont have many other options working shift work. I gets the job done!

[/quote]

Same here. Home gym only thing that works for for me. She’s always there waiting for me in the basement. Hoping to throw up some sheetrock soon as I can make some extra coin.

The reason I never invested in a home gym is because it would have to be like Ronnie Coleman’s home gym for me to fell like I got a good workout.

i think things like that may be better for powerlifting since they focus on very specific exercises. I can’t credit things like heavy HS machines or squat machines enough.

…and honestly, spending $5,000+ on exercise equipment just isn’t economic when I like the atmosphere of the gym.

Find a good one and nothing can beat being around a lot of other serious people. Being around a bunch of exercise bike riders and 10lb dumbbell lifters can fuck up your focus.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
The reason I never invested in a home gym is because it would have to be like Ronnie Coleman’s home gym for me to fell like I got a good workout.

i think things like that may be better for powerlifting since they focus on very specific exercises. I can’t credit things like heavy HS machines or squat machines enough.

…and honestly, spending $5,000+ on exercise equipment just isn’t economic when I like the atmosphere of the gym.

Find a good one and nothing can beat being around a lot of other serious people. Being around a bunch of exercise bike riders and 10lb dumbbell lifters can fuck up your focus.[/quote]

I can’t function in gyms anymore. I’ve lost all my social skills, and the idea of having to wait for equipment or share with others sends me into a rage, haha.

1. 24 hour fitness
  2. The worst part of going to commercial gym is just the usual…curlers taking up squat racks. Oh and also this. A little disclaimer, I have nothing against drug use whatsoever. But when it is obvious that you use it and you go around claiming natural to the newbies…that’s just unethical. Sure I understand it isn’t a topic that you really want to talk about in public, but when you go around telling people that before even getting asked the infamous “are you on…” then I think that’s a problem.
  3. An obese PT.
  4. A few years back a lot of these little things irk me. Now that I’m more mature, I just understand that not everyone shares the same goal nor the same knowledge. We all had to start somewhere. Heck, does anyone remember “DB Hammer” from many years back? I started training with those principles and did some dumb shit. Granted, some things can be a little too ridiculous in which I just pity them and proceed with whatever I’m doing.

Find a good one and nothing can beat being around a lot of other serious people. Being around a bunch of exercise bike riders and 10lb dumbbell lifters can fuck up your focus.[/quote]

I see what you mean. As far as powerlifting goes, all you need is a rack, bench, bar, and some weights (and even with that you should expect to fork over a few grand). Bodybuilding training is a lot more specialized with regards to apparatuses.

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:

I see what you mean. As far as powerlifting goes, all you need is a rack, bench, bar, and some weights (and even with that you should expect to fork over a few grand). Bodybuilding training is a lot more specialized with regards to apparatuses. [/quote]

You are correct in that those basic pieces of equipment are enough to train the competition lifts in powerlifting, but as I have trained more, I have gathered a lot of equipment that I find to be invaluable. Do I necessarily “need” it? No, but there is no way I’d be able to advance as far or as fast as I have without it.

Stuff like

GHR
Reverse hyper
Bands
Chains
Swiss bar
Safety squat bar
Deadlift bar
Trap bar
Sled
Kettlebells
Power tower
Deadlift mats/blocks
etc

My home gym is very limited on machines, but has a ton of different bars, haha.

You must be putting off some friendly vibes.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[/quote]

He hasn’t learned the “headphones and serious ‘don’t fuck wit me’ facial expression” trick.

People act like they are scared to talk to me.

He is black AND smiling in his picture…which is very strange.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

I see what you mean. As far as powerlifting goes, all you need is a rack, bench, bar, and some weights (and even with that you should expect to fork over a few grand). Bodybuilding training is a lot more specialized with regards to apparatuses. [/quote]

You are correct in that those basic pieces of equipment are enough to train the competition lifts in powerlifting, but as I have trained more, I have gathered a lot of equipment that I find to be invaluable. Do I necessarily “need” it? No, but there is no way I’d be able to advance as far or as fast as I have without it.

Stuff like

GHR
Reverse hyper
Bands
Chains
Swiss bar
Safety squat bar
Deadlift bar
Trap bar
Sled
Kettlebells
Power tower
Deadlift mats/blocks
etc

[/quote]

How long did it take to get to your current selection and what did you start out with?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Stuff like

GHR
Reverse hyper
Bands
Chains
Swiss bar
Safety squat bar
Deadlift bar
Trap bar
Sled
Kettlebells
Power tower
Deadlift mats/blocks
etc

[/quote]

How long did it take to get to your current selection and what did you start out with?[/quote]

I’ve been building the gym since 2008. I originally started out with just an olympic bench with uprights I could set high enough to squat from and a 300lb olympic set.

I totally feel your anger. I dumped mainstream gyms after a friend of mine bought an older gym in our town that’s ratty and pretty hardcore. Place usually turns away idiots who aren’t serious but still attracts like you mentioned above the idiot “powerlifting wana be fat guy” who claims he needs 160lb dumbells for shrugs and kroc rows that look like he’s going to blow his back and lat out hucking the weight up 3.5 inches from hip to mid lat… I could go on forever.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[/quote]

He hasn’t learned the “headphones and serious ‘don’t fuck wit me’ facial expression” trick.

People act like they are scared to talk to me.

He is black AND smiling in his picture…which is very strange.[/quote]

Exactly. Blasting metal in the earbuds, shaved head, beard, and thousand yard death stare.

This happened to me recently. My gym has two power racks that are next to eachother. We have firefighters who come in and train (basically bro it up, they don’t do anything productive but take up space unfortunately) and this one guy goes in the rack beside me and we squat in unison. As I put on a plate he does too, and it’s almost like he’s competing to out squat me. This gets to the point where he has 405 on the bar, and he’s like 180 6"…He just quarter squats it and his buddy spots him saying “GET IT, GET IT. GET IT. YEEEEE ATTA BOI.”

I was tempted to also put 200% of my max squat on the bar and join him in his antics, but I thought, “No, I wouldn’t want to detract from his act…”

Stuff like

GHR
Reverse hyper
Bands
Chains
Swiss bar
Safety squat bar
Deadlift bar
Trap bar
Sled
Kettlebells
Power tower
Deadlift mats/blocks
etc

[/quote]

Right. I definitely get where you’re coming from, and I agree.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
This happened to me recently. My gym has two power racks that are next to eachother. We have firefighters who come in and train (basically bro it up, they don’t do anything productive but take up space unfortunately) and this one guy goes in the rack beside me and we squat in unison. As I put on a plate he does too, and it’s almost like he’s competing to out squat me. This gets to the point where he has 405 on the bar, and he’s like 180 6"…He just quarter squats it and his buddy spots him saying “GET IT, GET IT. GET IT. YEEEEE ATTA BOI.”

I was tempted to also put 200% of my max squat on the bar and join him in his antics, but I thought, “No, I wouldn’t want to detract from his act…”[/quote]

Arghhh, that reminds me of my high school days. Had so many kids doing that! Usually with the bench and someone deadlift spotting them, but sometimes I would get a few guys squatting 3 inches and claiming 500lb lifts. Or the leg press where they loaded up 1000lbs+ and unracked it basically.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Stuff like

GHR
Reverse hyper
Bands
Chains
Swiss bar
Safety squat bar
Deadlift bar
Trap bar
Sled
Kettlebells
Power tower
Deadlift mats/blocks
etc

[/quote]

How long did it take to get to your current selection and what did you start out with?[/quote]

I’ve been building the gym since 2008. I originally started out with just an olympic bench with uprights I could set high enough to squat from and a 300lb olympic set.[/quote]

I’m green with envy. :slight_smile:

Stuff like

GHR
Reverse hyper
Bands
Chains
Swiss bar
Safety squat bar
Deadlift bar
Trap bar
Sled
Kettlebells
Power tower
Deadlift mats/blocks
etc

[/quote]
How much was your GHR? I’m kinda pissed about how expensive the elitefts one is.

[quote]Dead_For_Life wrote:

Stuff like

GHR
Reverse hyper
Bands
Chains
Swiss bar
Safety squat bar
Deadlift bar
Trap bar
Sled
Kettlebells
Power tower
Deadlift mats/blocks
etc

[/quote]
How much was your GHR? I’m kinda pissed about how expensive the elitefts one is.[/quote]

I bought this one

It was 240 at the time.