Annoyed in Mainstream Gyms

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
I have more of problem with people’s proactive fuckery. I don’t mind micro Y-backs, shitty form, and flexing pumped 14 inch arms that shit is irritating but doesn’t cause me lost sleep. My problem is when my workout is affected by the 0 fuck given by some of my lesser considerate brothers in iron. Equipment misuse, hoarding the cable crossover machine with some misunderstood tabata routine they plulled outta Musclemag. That’s the problem. Local clubs tend to have a family values like back with Arnold and his gang. At Joe’s Gym it was like that, at Metroflex it was like that.

However these big gym chains churn out products, not people. So having said that, today I was doing hamstrings, and later in my workout, I was doing stiff-legged deadlifts; slight bend knees full contraction minding my own business when, what appears out the corner of my eye is a skinny-musclehead staring briefly comes over to me. “Hey brother, I think you’re doing it wrong”, he said. And I proceeded to inquire why did he feel so inclined to correct me and what exactly did I do wrong. He said, " you have to come all the way up and stretch at the top!" I explained to this half-tard that I was doing hammies (i.e. Constant tension) He told me he never had heard of that and storms off.[/quote]

You must be putting off some friendly vibes.
[/quote]

He hasn’t learned the “headphones and serious ‘don’t fuck wit me’ facial expression” trick.

People act like they are scared to talk to me.

He is black AND smiling in his picture…which is very strange.[/quote]

Exactly. Blasting metal in the earbuds, shaved head, beard, and thousand yard death stare.

[/quote]

LMFAO! I can speak no and HEAR no evil, but hard as he’ll not to see it!

Today, I witness a guy setup a crossover machine for straight-arm pull down, leaves gym bag along with water jug and rush off to restroom briefly. Less than two minutes later, another guy come kids his shit aside and sets up rope for tricep pressdowns. That was a little rude but no big deal right? Other than the offender actually took the rope off a pressdown tower consisting of six ready-to-go machines to be in front of mirror. So essentially, he went through the trouble to rudely interrupt someone to be in front of mirror. The gentleman came back and was none too pleased.

1. Where do you train.

2. Do you have to deal with ALOT of dumb shit where you train

3. What’s the funniest thing you’ve seen

4. How do you not late it phase you
    [/quote]

5. At a mainstream gym, although I live in a country town and this particular gym has a reputation as the place to be if you lift heavy. Most of the bro’s attend the gym in the evening.

6. Not really. I lift early in the morning and there are maybe only 3-4 other people in the gym at the same time. Its a large gym, so usually I stay out of the way of other people and they stay out of the way of me.

7. Just the usual. My latest fascination is the amount of guys that wear tracksuit pants or full length lycra/compression pants on days where it is 40 degrees celsius.

8. I try and keep focused on my own training. Although there are days where I catch my self staring and scratching my head.

tweet

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I have more of problem with people’s proactive fuckery. I don’t mind micro Y-backs, shitty form, and flexing pumped 14 inch arms that shit is irritating but doesn’t cause me lost sleep. My problem is when my workout is affected by the 0 fuck given by some of my lesser considerate brothers in iron. Equipment misuse, hoarding the cable crossover machine with some misunderstood tabata routine they plulled outta Musclemag. That’s the problem. Local clubs tend to have a family values like back with Arnold and his gang. At Joe’s Gym it was like that, at Metroflex it was like that.

However these big gym chains churn out products, not people. So having said that, today I was doing hamstrings, and later in my workout, I was doing stiff-legged deadlifts; slight bend knees full contraction minding my own business when, what appears out the corner of my eye is a skinny-musclehead staring briefly comes over to me. “Hey brother, I think you’re doing it wrong”, he said. And I proceeded to inquire why did he feel so inclined to correct me and what exactly did I do wrong. He said, " you have to come all the way up and stretch at the top!" I explained to this half-tard that I was doing hammies (i.e. Constant tension) He told me he never had heard of that and storms off.[/quote]

You must be putting off some friendly vibes.
[/quote]

He hasn’t learned the “headphones and serious ‘don’t fuck wit me’ facial expression” trick.

People act like they are scared to talk to me.

He is black AND smiling in his picture…which is very strange.[/quote]

Exactly. Blasting metal in the earbuds, shaved head, beard, and thousand yard death stare.

[/quote]

LMFAO! I can speak no and HEAR no evil, but hard as he’ll not to see it![/quote]

Oh I speak the evil when people annoy me, but in general I try and be extremely respectful of other people’s space.

The next time somebody bothers you, ask them if they even lift? haha

The unorganized DB’s pisses me off. So between sets in one of the college gyms I went to. I would throw all the disorganized db’s on the floor reorganize them. I got some funny looks but it got my point across. I guarantee you, you’re big enough if you pull this stunt and glare around as looking for the potential violators. There will be an impact.

My current gym is a bb gym with a few cardio rats. DB’s to 150 everything is generally in its place.

I like my owners idea to hire kids to come in for a free membership and organize weights for a few hours each week. Always someone there to pick up and yell at members who don’t respect that.

[quote]Builder wrote:
It is nothing spectacular, but I dont have many other options working shift work. I gets the job done!
I live just outside of Windsor NS, about an hour from Halifax.
[/quote]

Builder that is a hell of a layout and nice home gym.

I had a huge mirror that stood about six and half feet tall until we moved out of our home with 10 foot ceilings. My mirror looked similar in width to yours. That’s a good thing to have.

I have more of problem with people’s proactive fuckery. I don’t mind micro Y-backs, shitty form, and flexing pumped 14 inch arms that shit is irritating but doesn’t cause me lost sleep. My problem is when my workout is affected by the 0 fuck given by some of my lesser considerate brothers in iron. Equipment misuse, hoarding the cable crossover machine with some misunderstood tabata routine they plulled outta Musclemag. That’s the problem.

Local clubs tend to have a family values like back with Arnold and his gang. At Joe’s Gym it was like that, at Metroflex it was like that. However these big gym chains churn out products, not people. So having said that, today I was doing hamstrings, and later in my workout, I was doing stiff-legged deadlifts; slight bend knees full contraction minding my own business when, what appears out the corner of my eye is a skinny-musclehead staring briefly comes over to me.

“Hey brother, I think you’re doing it wrong”, he said. And I proceeded to inquire why did he feel so inclined to correct me and what exactly did I do wrong. He said, " you have to come all the way up and stretch at the top!" I explained to this half-tard that I was doing hammies (i.e. Constant tension) He told me he never had heard of that and storms off.

I typically don’t give a shit about the crap other people do. No gym member approaches me with dumb shit, like giving me dumb advice or so. Only some compliments here and there.

But the gym owner is a different story. He is a miserable midget who always tries to find something to complain about. Since there are no other decent gyms around, I have to play nice no matter how ridiculous his complaints.

The most annoying thing I find about the idiots in the gym is that almost no one is asking me (or other decent members) for advice. Sometimes I feel generous and try to help out some beginners on my own, but almost always regret trying it immediately 'coz they don’t want to learn. There were only a handful of people over the years who actually wanted to get better and actually tried applying things.

Fucking sad but I rarely give a shit.

1. I train in 4 different gyms. When I’m away at school I use my college’s varsity weight room (I’m on the wrestling team) and when that’s closed I use the student weight room. When I’m home I train at my local wrestling club and at a small gym near my hometown that is run by a competitive bodybuilder. I have occasionally trained at a big commercial gym in a neighboring town as a last resort when I’m home.

2. The dumb shit is rare at the wrestling club, the small gym, and the varsity weight room. The student weight room is infested with frat boys, Jersey Shore cast wannabes, and MMA wannabes. They also inhabit the big commercial gym. The big commercial gym also has creepy old men who look like they aren’t allowed within 500 feet of a school…or a Chuck E Cheese.

3. I once went to train at the big commercial gym with my younger brother and one of his high school wrestling teammates. When we were done working out we went to the sauna; I went in to relax and they went in to cut weight for a tournament they had the next day. A fat, hairy, pedophiliac-looking old man was in the sauna completely naked, shaving his ass and pubes.

4. We sat on the opposite side of the sauna and managed to contain our laughter until after he looked at us awkwardly and slowly shuffled out of the sauna.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

The most annoying thing I find about the idiots in the gym is that almost no one is asking me (or other decent members) for advice. Sometimes I feel generous and try to help out some beginners on my own, but almost always regret trying it immediately 'coz they don’t want to learn. There were only a handful of people over the years who actually wanted to get better and actually tried applying things.

[/quote]

This is the thing i hate the most about lifting in commercial gyms. I hate that people who know their stuff will almost never approach a newb to lifting to give advice, just cause 90% of the time the newb doesnt give a shit.

If i never needed help on something, i would be so hesitatnt to ask people for advice cause i feel like im wasting their time.

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:

[/quote]

This is the thing i hate the most about lifting in commercial gyms. I hate that people who know their stuff will almost never approach a newb to lifting to give advice, just cause 90% of the time the newb doesnt give a shit.

If i never needed help on something, i would be so hesitatnt to ask people for advice cause i feel like im wasting their time. [/quote]

I never give advice unless asked. Unsolicited advice can be seen as insulting.

[quote]NOLAlift wrote:

[/quote]

If i never needed help on something, i would be so hesitatnt to ask people for advice cause i feel like im wasting their time. [/quote]

I never give advice unless asked. Unsolicited advice can be seen as insulting.[/quote]

There are different reasons why people don’t ask and/or don’t listen. All are stupid in most cases.

1. The people that absolutely refuse to unrack machines are my biggest annoyances. My gym is also a rehab facility and we have a couple older men that are recovering stroke victims but they still come in 4 days a week. Its motivational to me, but it never fails that some douche creates a situation where they have to try to swallow their pride(and you can tell that its difficult for them) and ask someone for help unloading the 1000 lbs worth of plates some fool left on the leg press.

Also another thing that pisses me off is having to unload the entire 25 pound peg because some idiot put a 45 on the 10 pound peg and then someone puts the 25s on so that they overlap. For the most part, people will leave you alone but one time I did have this really skinny Indian dude tell me that I was doing it preacher curls wrong on my free day. My workout partner, who has a reputation for being a supplier later informed me that this dude had been running a cycle for the past 4 weeks but you sure as hell couldnt tell it.

At my golds there used to be this one fat personal trainer who would make his clients(normal people, overweight noobs who never lifted before) do tons of advanced and crazy things. He would always like yell motivational things at them so loud the entire gym could here.

“3 more bro! you are a monster! pump it! pump it! Awesome!!! Group high five!”. And I would look over and see 3 fat soccer moms doing lateral raises on a bosu ball supersetting with pushing one of the punching bags across the gym like some ghetto prowler push following by sit ups.

Eh, I’m a class A pervert. I gawk at ladies at commercial gyms between sets. Keeps me going.

But it is annoying as hell to see the PTs at Crunch working with a client having them balancing on one leg on a Bosu ball while curling pussy weights. You know, got to work at the stability son.

Waitz, you don’t happen to workout at golds in altamonte do you? If so, definitely seen the guy with mouth piece and headphones. I saw him working out with someone once who was fairly new to the gym and they were doing db curls. He walks up after his partner gjoes and makes fun of the weight he’s using and grabs heAvier dbs and starts clean curling them, being a total asshole.

I don’t mind my mainstream gym, the free weights are pretty sequestered from the cardio and yoga areas, though it doesn’t have many machines I’m interested in using.

The one thing that truly irritates me is the old men in the locker room sliding their ballsack on the benches, rubbing their ballsacks over the sauna (splinters?), brushing their teeth buck naked, milling around chatting buck naked, blow drying their balls with one leg propped up on a bench…

Can any elders chime in and explain why it’s so important for the entire world to see your sagging scrotum? Thanks in advance.

[quote]TBItruck89 wrote:
I don’t mind my mainstream gym, the free weights are pretty sequestered from the cardio and yoga areas, though it doesn’t have many machines I’m interested in using.

The one thing that truly irritates me is the old men in the locker room sliding their ballsack on the benches, rubbing their ballsacks over the sauna (splinters?), brushing their teeth buck naked, milling around chatting buck naked, blow drying their balls with one leg propped up on a bench…

Can any elders chime in and explain why it’s so important for the entire world to see your sagging scrotum? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

LMFAO! No shit with that old man nudity, they are way too comfortable. I don’t people changing nude in lockeroom, its that prolonged nudity that is irritating. Just this morning, elder sitting cock out on bench and that’s fine. Return 20 mins later to piss to find the same man, not moved an inch still chilling. So… You’re just gonna chill with your cock out eh? When I was young, I trained at the Y and there too the same shit. I can’t wait to get old, rub my dick on the hand dryer and swear at children.

[quote]TBItruck89 wrote:

Can any elders chime in and explain why it’s so important for the entire world to see your sagging scrotum? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

LMFAO! No shit with that old man nudity, they are way too comfortable. I don’t people changing nude in lockeroom, its that prolonged nudity that is irritating. Just this morning, elder sitting cock out on bench and that’s fine. Return 20 mins later to piss to find the same man, not moved an inch still chilling. So… You’re just gonna chill with your cock out eh? When I was young, I trained at the Y and there too the same shit. I can’t wait to get old, rub my dick on the hand dryer and swear at children.[/quote]

What is up with that? Does something happen to you at age 65 that makes you want to walk around public places naked and blow dry your pubic hair?

Do your nuts like the back draft more at that age?

They spend more time drying nuts than they do lifting any weights.

Just buy a blow dryer and stay home

[quote]NOLAlift wrote:

[/quote]

I never give advice unless asked. Unsolicited advice can be seen as insulting.[/quote]

Completely agree. Theres a trainer at my gym that has told me a couple times benching is bad for me. I just say thanks and keep benching. If someone wants advice they will ask, otherwise I think it’s almost rude to walk around the gym telling people what to do a not do, especially when you don’t have the slightest knowledge of that person and their goals.