Annoyed in Mainstream Gyms

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Whats with people wearing mouth gaurds to workout at alot of commercial gyms. Is this like an MMA inspired fashion trend? [/quote]

YES.

So is shadow boxing in the mirror for 20 minutes in plain site of as many people as possible.

I train at a LA Fitness in Staten Island, home of the stereotypical douchebag…on the surface only.

Alot of the guys that you would probably look at as a Bro, tanning guido, is only one side of their story they are also amateur BBers, one guy I believe just received their pro-card recently. I found all of the advanced BBers to be helpful, gregarious and courteous…again you look at them and a pre-conceived notion would be typical tanned bro. I was the only PLer there and we joke about me slamming weights, making a mess of chalk and relegating me to PL corner next to the power rack…but its all in good fun. While it may be cool to say I work out at a Hardcore gym…so Im hardcore…it aint where ya from its where ya at…

I also love watching all the ass in my gym…Love people watching and I find the real douchebag element at my gym, the 19 - 22 year olds playing slap ass with each other for half repping a 265 on the bench…(yes I know there are times where full ROM has its place, but these dolts are doing so they can update their FB status).

My la fitness has a Power Rack, 2 squat racks, tons of benches and DBs up to 125…not too shabby for a commercial gym… if I need to go heavier on say DB rows, I get creative or rock Meadows Rows. I would like to train at a PL oriented gym sometimes, no doubt, but I dont think Ill ever leave my commercial gym…its just too much fun.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Whats with people wearing mouth gaurds to workout at alot of commercial gyms. Is this like an MMA inspired fashion trend? [/quote]

YES.

So is shadow boxing in the mirror for 20 minutes in plain site of as many people as possible.[/quote]

This…man I love seeing the guy who does a set of curls, and then commences to shadow box in between sets…I get it bro, your a tough guy…its hilarious I love it!

[quote]Waittz wrote:

YES.

So is shadow boxing in the mirror for 20 minutes in plain site of as many people as possible.[/quote]

I do not know why this bothers me so much but it does. Remember when people used to wear Tapout shirts everywhere? Made me want to suprise them while they were in line at chipotle with a rear naked choke.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

YES.

This…man I love seeing the guy who does a set of curls, and then commences to shadow box in between sets…I get it bro, your a tough guy…its hilarious I love it!
[/quote]

There is this one dude at my gym, going on 3 years now seeing him. About 5’6", maybe…just maybe weighs in at 130-135. Always has the mouth peice, fight shorts, and does nothing but circuit train and shadow box.

Wears these big Beats by Dre head phones and raps out loud with the songs, and I mean like vintage DMX, Wakka Flakka stuff and like dances too, i cant even explain how ridiculous it is. And he just straight up grills everybody. He is everything I hate about MMA’s influence these days.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

YES.

[/quote]

They don’t seem to understand it often has the exact opposite effect than they thought it did.

I see it as no different than doing a set of barbell bench with 1 45lb plate on each side and then jumping up to take your shirt off in between sets.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

YES.

[/quote]

They don’t seem to understand it often has the exact opposite effect than they thought it did.

I see it as no different than doing a set of barbell bench with 1 45lb plate on each side and then jumping up to take your shirt off in between sets.[/quote]

I swear to you, i once saw a group of 3 kids, maybe 18, benching. One kid stopped after the first set of 135, went to the front desk, asked to borrow a pair of scissors, came back, cut off his sleeves, then did his second set.

Wow…just Wow…I wish I was there for that…fucking classic.

1:I train at my home with my own equipment.
2:Only getting yelled at for dropping the weights (read:deadlifting without fucking your back up)
3: I train by myself… Misloading a bar without knowing then wondering why it felt off
4: It doesn’t… I shall get a somewhat large garage to my self that will be air conditioned and heated and I will be buying a box squat box later this year maybe some fatgripz.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

YES.

[/quote]

I see it as no different than doing a set of barbell bench with 1 45lb plate on each side and then jumping up to take your shirt off in between sets.[/quote]

I swear to you, i once saw a group of 3 kids, maybe 18, benching. One kid stopped after the first set of 135, went to the front desk, asked to borrow a pair of scissors, came back, cut off his sleeves, then did his second set. [/quote]

That sounds BRO-tastic!

1. Uni. Gym

2. We have 1 bench press stand a guy was doing wrist curls with the barbell. I kindly asked how many sets he has left and he said two. Then I said “ok Ill just take this oly bar here (there’s an extra one close to the wall) and start benching here.” And he said ok…

OL get’s alot of attention, same with deadlifting. They give me angry looks for the noise but none of them has come and said anything yet.

I queue for squat rack for 10min. I’ve already asked how sets guy has left. Then when he is on his last set another dude comes to stand right in front me, then I just walk pass him and said to the squatting “you done right?” and he was “yeah”. And I just start squatting with his weights and the other guy was said “WTF” and rolledhis eyes and walked away. Luckily I had some warmup from leg presses before.

Most of the time the douchery is done by guys who train once a month, or so. I dont get it why they’re like that or where they get their ego from. Leaving the dumbbells and plates wherever, and trying to cut in line or take a place.

3. Guy doing widegrip lat-pulldowns(?) and pulling the bar down to his bellybutton.

Guy training biceps on leg extension machine.

Same guy benchpressing/training his triceps or whatever on sittng leg curl machine.

Guy preparing for deadlift roaring loud and making an angryface while looking himself at the mirror, his forehead touching it and spit flying out of his mouth in the mirror as he breaths heavily. Ok maybe it was more disturbing than funny. And then he went and lifted 225lbs.

Guy shadowboxing the air with no dumbbells and 60yo woman comes and does the same with 5lbs dumbbells.

HUGE woman going to the leg press machine and loading it with 2x 5lbs plates and doing it for 6reps and moving on.

4. I don’t really care. Plus OL, deadlifting, squats give this nice zen feeling so I try to incorporate it to my BB as much as I can.

5. Whats great about my gym: It’s on a biking (pedaling) distance, squat rack is mostly vacant as most of the people are curling, it’s next to a good food place, a lot of the gym goers are from science background with similar interests.

Chances are, this is going to make sense to a lot of people.

1. Train at home in the basement with my own gear.
  2. Sometimes the dogs sneak downstairs and decide its play time.
  3. one of my dogs likes to stand and box with the punching bag after seeing me do it. One day he got mad at either me or the wife and decided to go down and pee all over my new weight bench…I was not impressed. I have the floor covered in puzzle mats and the dog I speak of is a Great Dane. It is unreal how much pee they can hold for such an occasion. Lots of clean up required!
  4. Dogs are no longer allowed to go downstairs.

[quote]Builder wrote:

3. one of my dogs likes to stand and box with the punching bag after seeing me do it. One day he got mad at either me or the wife and decided to go down and pee all over my new weight bench…I was not impressed. I have the floor covered in puzzle mats and the dog I speak of is a Great Dane. It is unreal how much pee they can hold for such an occasion. Lots of clean up required!
  4. Dogs are no longer allowed to go downstairs.[/quote]

lets see some pics of your gym!

what part of NS do you lve in? i lived in antigonish for 4 years

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]Builder wrote:

4. Dogs are no longer allowed to go downstairs.[/quote]

lets see some pics of your gym!

what part of NS do you lve in? i lived in antigonish for 4 years[/quote]

It is nothing spectacular, but I dont have many other options working shift work. I gets the job done!
I live just outside of Windsor NS, about an hour from Halifax.

[quote]gregron wrote:

1. I’m not there to sorry about others. They can waste their time if they like, I’m there to get a productive session in.[/quote]

Same feelings here. Don’t care what anyone is doing in there. Just do my thing, be polite to people, and get out. But I also go in the morning so there is less poeple there and always equipment available.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
Chances are, this is going to make sense to a lot of people.[/quote]

LOL Perfect!

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:

The point of this thread is to see:
  1. Where do you train.
  2. Do you have to deal with ALOT of dumb shit where you train
  3. What’s the funniest thing you’ve seen
  4. How do you not late it phase you
    [/quote]

Pussy-tis?

1. At a commercial gym and at home.

2. At the most once per perpetrator or perpetrating group. Should I feel wronged, disturbed, molested etc., I’ll state my point in a manner most suitable for getting my point across to the ‘annoying’ party: this can be anything from smiling, staring, charming, scaring, shouting, shooing away, burping, ignoring and simply claiming his/her station or plain language (‘Please go away.’,). It always works. I’ll also do this to women (staunch believer in gender justice, here, but not in gender equality, of course).

3. Sometimes I’m training with my woman. While it’s no big surprise that other trainees think about making a move on her until I arrive to spot her and reward her with a clap on her ass (no matter if she broke her PR or not), once, there was a rather persistent and weird fellow gym rat. He had a good physique and I once overheard him talk rather disparagingly about his conquests and infidelities (to each his own). He repeatedly pranced by us, checking her out, checking me out. Whilst I was doing my sets, he seemed to be more focused on me than on her (said she), although my gaydar didn’t detect any gaydiation (NTTAWWT).
    Afterwards, my woman commented on that and told me she wasn’t sure if he was bi-curious or afraid of me.

4. I don’t. I just do my shit, talk with people as I see fit (depends on my schedule: if I’m not in a talkative mood, I cut the guys/gals short, tell them to contact me outside the gym, smile, perform an affectionate gesture and get right back to training).

I have more of problem with people’s proactive fuckery. I don’t mind micro Y-backs, shitty form, and flexing pumped 14 inch arms that shit is irritating but doesn’t cause me lost sleep. My problem is when my workout is affected by the 0 fuck given by some of my lesser considerate brothers in iron. Equipment misuse, hoarding the cable crossover machine with some misunderstood tabata routine they plulled outta Musclemag. That’s the problem. Local clubs tend to have a family values like back with Arnold and his gang. At Joe’s Gym it was like that, at Metroflex it was like that.

However these big gym chains churn out products, not people. So having said that, today I was doing hamstrings, and later in my workout, I was doing stiff-legged deadlifts; slight bend knees full contraction minding my own business when, what appears out the corner of my eye is a skinny-musclehead staring briefly comes over to me. “Hey brother, I think you’re doing it wrong”, he said. And I proceeded to inquire why did he feel so inclined to correct me and what exactly did I do wrong. He said, " you have to come all the way up and stretch at the top!" I explained to this half-tard that I was doing hammies (i.e. Constant tension) He told me he never had heard of that and storms off.

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
I have more of problem with people’s proactive fuckery. I don’t mind micro Y-backs, shitty form, and flexing pumped 14 inch arms that shit is irritating but doesn’t cause me lost sleep. My problem is when my workout is affected by the 0 fuck given by some of my lesser considerate brothers in iron. Equipment misuse, hoarding the cable crossover machine with some misunderstood tabata routine they plulled outta Musclemag. That’s the problem. Local clubs tend to have a family values like back with Arnold and his gang. At Joe’s Gym it was like that, at Metroflex it was like that.

However these big gym chains churn out products, not people. So having said that, today I was doing hamstrings, and later in my workout, I was doing stiff-legged deadlifts; slight bend knees full contraction minding my own business when, what appears out the corner of my eye is a skinny-musclehead staring briefly comes over to me. “Hey brother, I think you’re doing it wrong”, he said. And I proceeded to inquire why did he feel so inclined to correct me and what exactly did I do wrong. He said, " you have to come all the way up and stretch at the top!" I explained to this half-tard that I was doing hammies (i.e. Constant tension) He told me he never had heard of that and storms off.[/quote]

You come across as having a good head on your shoulders.

What I’m about to say can be misconstrued as being ignorant or not keeping an open mind on other perspectives, but:
you were giving a person you’ve instantaneously classified as ‘a skinny-musclehead’ a forum to critique your form. So, on the one hand, that speaks highly of you from information gathering and respecting people perspective. On the other hand - and I wouldn’t say this if you wouldn’t appear as being pissed by your ‘critic’ - you would’ve been better off not giving that guy both your ear and time.

I guess you know what I’m getting at: classification has its purpose, although it can have negative consequences, too. As with every tool, there are trade-offs involved.

Sure, maybe the guy used to be big, once. And maybe he’s very well educated in exercise physiology and stuff. Hey, why not both? Then again: highly unlikely. Case closed.

I’m 30, now, and have a very good grasp at whom and what to pay attention to and what not. Did I have this with 15? Hell, no! With 18? To a greater degree, yeah. But not the balls to go through with it.

Not meaning to sound condescending, just sharing my thoughts, since you comport yourself as a responsible and respectful person demanding the same from his environment, but not getting it (in the gym).