T Nation

Annoyed in Mainstream Gyms...

Well I’ve switched gyms in August of 2012 to a more convient Gold’s gym far from the realms of smaller gyms Im accustomed to. Change made CoCo unhappy, but I adapt. Meet beautiful scantily clad vixens who seem to only do leg presses and shoulder raises, formerly use to hanging around big angry powerlifters named Ed.

Shiny Precor And Hammer Strength machines await me as i was use to a crooked t bar row and a cable crossover machine that’s been broken since 2011. In all that excitement, I find a chink in Gold’s illustrious armor: 70% of their members are depressingly retarded and rude. My workouts have been great there but, only in spite of unnecessary obstacles.

For example, in my small time  gym, if I failed to unrack 22 plates off the leg press,  the manager will hit in the back of the head with a dragon kick, make me rerack, then bar me for my consideration. However, in my new gym, I spend most of the time playing 'locate and match the dumbell'. Some X fitter next to me does some shitty combination of shrug-deadlift-row with 150s slams them down, and walk the fuck off, possibly on his way to a rave.

If I had nickel for every dozen 2.5 and 5 lb plates I pulled off a leg press or barbell, I’d have enough cash to open my own fucking gym!!

The point of this thread is to see:
  1. Where do you train.
  2. Do you have to deal with ALOT of dumb shit where you train
  3. What’s the funniest thing you’ve seen
  4. How do you not late it phase you

Keep training.

1: Garage
2: Sub zero temps in the winter, 100 degrees with humidity in the summer
3: Me swearing like a sailor after pulling a muscle and then looking up and seeing some sweet lady walking a small dog gawking at me with her jaw on the floor
4: I smiled and waved

As a college student I have free (read: paid for by tuition) access to a bad ass facility. Power racks, more than one of them! DBs up to 125. Tons of Hammer Strength machines, all equipment dutifully maintained.

The fun part is watching all the greek row kids come in and bro out, I couldn’t even begin to think of the amount of stupid shit I see on a daily basis. I guess the most recent was trying not to laugh, squatting, mid set, as the guy in the cage next to me began tearing it up on some extreme kipping pull ups. LOL + weight on your back = not good.

Too many women in the mainstream gyms annoy me, especially the ones who wear unwashed clothes smelling of pee, which seems a problem especially in the U.S.

1. Golds Gym
  2. Nope. I get to the gym between 3:45-4:45 (depends on if its a work day) in the morning so it’s always empty.
  3. A 5’2 guy doing round houses between sets and using the rope push down attachment as his target (he wasn’t even close)
  4. I’m not there to sorry about others. They can waste their time if they like, I’m there to get a productive session in.
  1. A small Anytime fitness

2. I’ve been asked three times this week to be more quiet when deadlifting. They asked courteously, so I’m not really mad, but I’m not TRYING to be loud, I simply can’t hold that kind of weight for a 4 count eccentric. The people there are really cool, but I’m the top tier of strength at this gym, it is sad. I’m considering switching for this reason alone.

3. A guy doing leg extensions WHILE eating an apple. srs

4. I find the humor in everything.

I workout in a home gym in garage. Deadlifts leave me spent.

Early morning workouts 5:00 am until 6:30 am

Used to belong to a well known gym and would laugh to myself watching members drive around for 5 minutes trying to get a parking spot close to the door only to go directly to a treadmill.

“4. I’m not there to sorry about others. They can waste their time if they like, I’m there to get a productive session in.”

My gym is pretty commercial and you can expect most of the demographic to be that alike. I agree ^ but honestly they blast the kind of shitty music a teenage girl would listen . It overpowers the music from my earbuds. Come on now… but you gotta laugh about it and keep focus.

1. 24 hour local chain gym, equipment is very good though. Lots of HS machines DB’s up to 200lbs (never seen them taken off the rack though)
  2. I’m fortunate as I go early morning before most of the bro’s and their ilk, but still have to play always fun game of ‘find the dumbbell’ and why has that dude got his water bottle on one bench, his coat on another and actually using the third one.
  3. Been a couple, saw a really short dude oly lifting with some rubber plates, dropped the thing and it came right back up and smacked him in the mouth. Also saw a little asian dude doing face away pulldowns on the lat pulldown machine but everytime the weight went back to the starting position he would jump up onto the seat, somewhat like a frog.
  4. Generally I just put my Ipod in and just try to ignore everybody in the place.

I’ve actually found one 45lb dumbell where it was were it was suppose to be, and the other one was waay across the gym leaning next the step mill. At some point, they were going back to the rack and said, " Aww fuck it, too much work, Ill leave it right here and get it two weeks later when I workout again".

I work out at a couple of gyms. The first one is on a medical complex and actually has most of the equipment I need. Most people working out there are in their 20’s and have decent gym etiquette. Not too many people are doing anything that get in the way of my workout so I don’t pay too much attention. I can actually only think of one thing that irked me at this gym a while back. There was this one guy that would do circuits on 3 or 4 different sets of equipment. I saw someone start working on one of the other benches in between his circuit and he told them he was still using it. The guy asked to work in and he was told “I only have a few more sets left.” Seemed a bit rude IMO. I think he eventually got spoken to by either another member or management about this because I can’t say that I’ve seen him doing the circuits thing again in the past few weeks.

The other gym I work out at is a commercial gym with several locations in the city. People generally have good etiquette here too as far as returning weights and plates. The only things here that tend to happen is people doing curls right in front of the dumbell rack to where you can’t get at any of the weights. Oh, and there’s this one guy who will bring a newspaper into the work out area and leave it on some other bench that he isn’t using. I just move it out of the way, but always feel a bit awkward touching someone else’s personal stuff. Moreso with him because this is the same guy that uses the gym’s hair dryer on his balls for about 5-10 minutes at a time. There should be some kind of man law against this.

All that being said, you still have some random guy who will do curls in the squat rack. But this has happened every place I’ve been at some point, so I try to ignore it.

Funniest thing I saw was this guy who would load up about five plates on the squat rack and just stand there with it, not really bending his knees at all and just sort of straining with it. Eventually as I learned more about training I gathered that he was doing a walkout or something, so it turned out to be a legitimate thing I suppose. So, now I don’t laugh at any bizarre thing I see because I’m never sure if it has a real purpose that I’m just ignorant to, even if it looks totally ridiculous.

I go to two family owned gyms, they both love bodybuilding and cater to us. I moved to FL couple of years ago and I had to go to a corporate gym at first and I hated it, too many lil kids and crazy cross fit people so I was glad to find a real gym where grunting is allowed =)

[quote]NOLAlift wrote:
Moreso with him because this is the same guy that uses the gym’s hair dryer on his balls for about 5-10 minutes at a time. There should be some kind of man law against this.

[/quote]

Hahahahaha, yeah I forgot about the ball blow drying. I went back to the UK for a couple of months recently and had to join a Fitness First. Balls being blow dryed all over the place. Very fucking bizarre.

1. I’m lucky as i have four body building gyms within 20 minutes of my door.

2. No, i tend to do a lot of weird stuff that people ask what the hell are you doing? Like GHR, Meadows rows etc. There are some proper bros who train there though! Spend 1 hr doing every bicep curl known to man with 5 minutes rest between sets while their 5 mates all have a turn. Luckily these guys are made to feel unwelcome and normally leave.

3. There was a whale/woman who joined and worked out in daisy duke style hotpants. Thats was funny but also disturbing when she was face down on the leg curl machine! She only came down once! Also a guy who gives himself a little talking too before he faces up to squatting a plate each side. “Come on Brian get nasty etc”.

4. I just ignore them and get on with it!

1. Owing to my work/private schedule, I can only train mornings before work (which is what I prefer anyways), but where I’m at, most gyms don’t open until 9:00 or 10:00 A.M., so I’m more or less forced to train at a big commercial chain. It’s not ideal but it’s affordable and for the last three and a half years or so I’ve been able to train without any major hindrances.

2. Not really. There are the odd instances of people who are just ignorant (e.g., eating sandwiches at the leg press and leaving crumbs all over the place) or who want to show off (screaming even though they’re lifting mini-weights), but I’ve found the gym clientele to be pretty good all around. Sometimes the so-called trainers come up to me and question what I’m doing; this happened yesterday when I was doing back extensions with an isometric hold.

A new employee came up to me and said that I’d injure myself doing this and that she was sure since she studied sport science. We had a bit of a discussion and I managed to convince her that I also knew what I was doing. This happens from time to time in every commercial gym; I think you just have to let staff know that you’re competent and won’t recklessly endanger yourself or others with your training.

1. The best example that I’ve seen was a “trainer” and his client doing seated half-good mornings on an incline bench in the gym’s only squat rack (of course while I was waiting to use it). I have no idea what the goal of this exercise was, but it looked fascinating. They could’ve just as easily used a bench press station, but I didn’t say anything.

2. I remind myself that this gym is about half as expensive as all the other gyms that I’d ever trained at.

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
I’ve actually found one 45lb dumbell where it was were it was suppose to be, and the other one was waay across the gym leaning next the step mill. At some point, they were going back to the rack and said, " Aww fuck it, too much work, Ill leave it right here and get it two weeks later when I workout again".[/quote]

lol

[quote]Waylon Benning wrote:

My gym is pretty commercial and you can expect most of the demographic to be that alike. I agree ^ but honestly they blast the kind of shitty music a teenage girl would listen . It overpowers the music from my earbuds. Come on now… but you gotta laugh about it and keep focus.[/quote]

I sympathize. I go to a varsity gym where they put on the oldies channel of all things, where they play all those awful done to death 80s songs I hated the first time they came around already (I am old enough to have been there). You know, like Kenny G. and Ghostbusters.

1. Where do you train: I train at a small athletic club (it’s the biggest one in the area).
  2. Do you have to deal with ALOT of dumb shit where you train: It’s usually just crowded for how small the space is. Luckily, people are mostly doing cardio on the other side of the room so I get the weight area mostly to myself (or I scare people off. I’m not sure on that one).
  3. What’s the funniest thing you’ve seen: Just people doing awkward “exercises”.
  4. How do you not let it phase you: Keep my headphones in and keep lifting.

I like my gym. The 24 Hour Fitness I go to most has a lot of people who lift seriously and who have a lot of size.

I also get very irriated when I got to othersin the area that are often filled with a group of people who are clearly much older and just go to the gym to sit on equipment.

These types do not understand gym etiquette. They are the types to jump on a machine even though your towel and bag are right there and you just turned around for a second. They are the types who wander aimlessly around while you are trying to get to the next piece of equipment.

I am all for everyone being allowed to work out…but acting like the 45 year old 140lber who hasn’t broken a sweat in 40 minutes should always be tolerated as he literally sits on that HS machine for 15min doing one light set and then talking on the phone for another 5 is just wrong.

I respect the people who train seriously. I can’t fucking stand the people just taking up space. Too many of them fucks up the whole vibe and can fuck up my focus.

Whats with people wearing mouth gaurds to workout at alot of commercial gyms. Is this like an MMA inspired fashion trend?