18 Inch Arms 2

Yeah no problem man. I know what you mean about being aware of your body and thinking about fixing issues. Whenever I mention to someone all the problems with my body (some slight and some more pronounced) I think to myself “Damn. I am pretty fucked up”. But then I realize that I am just more aware of the problems I have than the average person (especially someone who doesn’t work out at all) and I have spent a descent amount of time trying to optimize the way my body works and moves and especially lately, making sure I am going in the right direction and still getting stronger/bigger/leaner, whatever my goal may be but at the same time making sure everything I do is set up to improve my mobility/posture/weaknesses along the way and just trying to be really honest with myself and try to not do anything that would exacerbate any problem/imbalance that I have.

But if you look at the average person walking around, there will be a descent amount with pretty bad posture and they just are not aware of all the little things that are making them stand or walk that way, if they even notice it.

You might think about your problems more but as long as you do something to improve them than that’s much better than someone who is passive like you said and doesn’t really stress over it or anything. They’ll just end up getting worse in the end…

Good luck with everything

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:
Yeah no problem man. I know what you mean about being aware of your body and thinking about fixing issues. Whenever I mention to someone all the problems with my body (some slight and some more pronounced) I think to myself “Damn. I am pretty fucked up”. But then I realize that I am just more aware of the problems I have than the average person (especially someone who doesn’t work out at all) and I have spent a descent amount of time trying to optimize the way my body works and moves and especially lately, making sure I am going in the right direction and still getting stronger/bigger/leaner, whatever my goal may be but at the same time making sure everything I do is set up to improve my mobility/posture/weaknesses along the way and just trying to be really honest with myself and try to not do anything that would exacerbate any problem/imbalance that I have.

But if you look at the average person walking around, there will be a descent amount with pretty bad posture and they just are not aware of all the little things that are making them stand or walk that way, if they even notice it.

You might think about your problems more but as long as you do something to improve them than that’s much better than someone who is passive like you said and doesn’t really stress over it or anything. They’ll just end up getting worse in the end…

Good luck with everything[/quote]

Thanks brother and to you too.

Just throwing it out there, I got a PVC pipe to roll out my glute that has been injured since September. Anyways, I am so glad I did. I can feel so many knots in the hurt muscle compared to the other glute that is fine.

Hoping regularly rolling will fix it up.

I’ve had this for awhile, knew what I needed to do to fix it, but just didn’t care enough and put the effort in.

Glad I’m over that bit laziness.

Saw someone deadliftint 455 in my college gym today, making a ruckus and thinking he was a big shot. I pulled my 585 x 3 in that gym. That was motivation enough to get my top dog spot back. Haha

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:

Just throwing it out there, I got a PVC pipe to roll out my glute that has been injured since September. Anyways, I am so glad I did. I can feel so many knots in the hurt muscle compared to the other glute that is fine.

I’ve had this for awhile, knew what I needed to do to fix it, but just didn’t care enough and put the effort in.

Saw someone deadliftint 455 in my college gym today, making a ruckus and thinking he was a big shot. I pulled my 585 x 3 in that gym. That was motivation enough to get my top dog spot back. Haha
[/quote]

PVC pipe for rolling is fucking awesome. If you haven’t already been doing that kind of stuff you might be able to see a lot of improvement in just the way you move and feel by doing that stuff daily (or at least close to it). Lacrosse ball for glute/piriformis works even better. Just roll on it and find a knotty/sore spot and put just enough pressure so that it’s uncomfortable and you can feel the pressure but you also want to be able to relax into it more and more and just chill there til the soreness goes away or dramatically reduces. I use a bunch of different stuff to work on my body - lacrosse ball, rumble roller/pvc pipe/foam roller, theracane, the stick, etc… Everything is good and has a different purpose but for actually getting out trigger points the rumble roller is probably the best in most cases.

It took me a long time to figure out how to foam roll, etc… Most of the time I see someone recommending it, they usually say to just make sure you roll specific areas but I don’t recall ever seeing someone really stress the importance of relaxing into it. IMO I think that is one of the most important aspects of foam rolling. Act like your getting a deep tissue massage and your trying to time your breathing with the massuese putting pressure on your knots… Take in a deep breath and then exhale fully and slowly and Just relax and let your body sink into the pvc pipe (or whatever) and let your knots release… if you tense up because their is too much pressure and your body sort of goes into defense mode then you won’t be able to release those trigger points nearly as well and if you really tense up you could actually get tighter…

You might have know/heard all that before but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to throw that info out there and if you can save some time trying to figure that shit out then you could spend more time doing it correctly and start “healing” yourself faster.

You might wanna try just rolling out your entire body one day and figuring out where all your trigger points are. Possible that you have a ton of trigger points in your calf and that is limiting range or motion, never know til you try…

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:

[/quote]

PVC pipe for rolling is fucking awesome. If you haven’t already been doing that kind of stuff you might be able to see a lot of improvement in just the way you move and feel by doing that stuff daily (or at least close to it). Lacrosse ball for glute/piriformis works even better. Just roll on it and find a knotty/sore spot and put just enough pressure so that it’s uncomfortable and you can feel the pressure but you also want to be able to relax into it more and more and just chill there til the soreness goes away or dramatically reduces. I use a bunch of different stuff to work on my body - lacrosse ball, rumble roller/pvc pipe/foam roller, theracane, the stick, etc… Everything is good and has a different purpose but for actually getting out trigger points the rumble roller is probably the best in most cases.

It took me a long time to figure out how to foam roll, etc… Most of the time I see someone recommending it, they usually say to just make sure you roll specific areas but I don’t recall ever seeing someone really stress the importance of relaxing into it. IMO I think that is one of the most important aspects of foam rolling. Act like your getting a deep tissue massage and your trying to time your breathing with the massuese putting pressure on your knots… Take in a deep breath and then exhale fully and slowly and Just relax and let your body sink into the pvc pipe (or whatever) and let your knots release… if you tense up because their is too much pressure and your body sort of goes into defense mode then you won’t be able to release those trigger points nearly as well and if you really tense up you could actually get tighter…

You might have know/heard all that before but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to throw that info out there and if you can save some time trying to figure that shit out then you could spend more time doing it correctly and start “healing” yourself faster.

You might wanna try just rolling out your entire body one day and figuring out where all your trigger points are. Possible that you have a ton of trigger points in your calf and that is limiting range or motion, never know til you try…[/quote]

What would a trigger point be? And what areas do you typically roll?

Thanks for the help, all solid info. I’ll have to get a lax ball.

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:

[/quote]

You might wanna try just rolling out your entire body one day and figuring out where all your trigger points are. Possible that you have a ton of trigger points in your calf and that is limiting range or motion, never know til you try…[/quote]

What would a trigger point be? And what areas do you typically roll?

Thanks for the help, all solid info. I’ll have to get a lax ball.[/quote]

You can tell if there is a trigger point because an area will feel extra tender. They are usually pretty localized. If you feel an extra tender spot, stay on it/very slowly roll that area out. Use your breathing to ease into it and release it. Nice, slow and deliberate. Breath in through your diaphragm, making your stomach expand out from the front and the sides (like your filling up a balloon)and not through your chest (try to not make your shoulders rise when you breath). You should prob google crocodile/diaphramatic breathing. If the tender area goes away or gets much less tender then it worked and that was a trigger point.

You can get a lacrosse ball on amazon or at some sporting goods stores. You might wanna get a 3 pack or something.

Put the lacrosse ball in a sock, grab it like were a mace and swing it over your back and smash it against the wall. You can really dig into problem areas that way.

Obviously use common sense and stay off the spine and just get those meaty areas with a lot of tension. Maybe wait til your pretty comfortable with just rolling out your body… You might be able to start with a tennis ball in certain areas… Should work for bottom of feet if you’ve never rolled them before.

If I were you I would do theses just to get started

Do this - » The Cressey Performance Foam Roller Series

Then follow it up with this (scroll down the page til you see agile 8) - http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html

Do the Foam rolling/trigger point stuff first. It will allow for extra mobility. Then make your body put that extra mobility to use by taking your body (especially the area’s that were tight) through full ROM. Acitve/static stretches…
Spend extra time on your problem areas

BTW - I just passed the FMS certification test and bought the book “Movement” by Gray Cook. Been reading it and listening to Gray speak and it’s pretty amazing stuff. I think it’s really helping me realize stuff about my own body.

Basically the ankle thing I was talking about (how I had to unlock it) was a lack of mobility being caused by a lack of stability. So since I didn’t have the stability first, my body wouldn’t let me express the mobility that I would of had if I had that stability. At least that’s what I think from reading some of it…

Agile 8 is pretty much lower body. Look up some Mobility stuff by Cressey for some upper body stuff.

Thanks so much for the help man. Honestly big time motivated to heal up. I will keep you posted.

K, and now back to arms.

[/quote]
Those Shoulders are looking Zrawesque bro! And the arms aren’t bad lol just playing

I’d love to have delts like my boy ZRaw some day. Honestly they’ve grown so much over the last few months and have become my favorite muscle to train. You just look so much wider with big round delts. Thanks brotha.

I’d love to have delts like my boy ZRaw some day. Honestly they’ve grown so much over the last few months and have become my favorite muscle to train. You just look so much wider with big round delts. Thanks brotha.[/quote]

What do you attribute your recent shoulder growth to? Im always curious because i really struggle to hit my delts (specifically medial) effectively and youre in particular have blown up.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

I’d love to have delts like my boy ZRaw some day. Honestly they’ve grown so much over the last few months and have become my favorite muscle to train. You just look so much wider with big round delts. Thanks brotha.[/quote]

What do you attribute your recent shoulder growth to? Im always curious because i really struggle to hit my delts (specifically medial) effectively and youre in particular have blown up. [/quote]

Here was yesterday’s delt workout.

Delts

1 Arm DB Upright Row

25 x 15
35 x 15
45 x 15
55 x 15

Side Laterals Super Strict - Including partial reps when I could not go to full height.

10 x 20
20 x 20
25 x 20
30 x 20

Reverse Pec Deck

4 sets 12-15 squeezing hard.

Seated Machine Press

Worked up to a heavy set of 8

Kettle bell swings

4 sets of 12

Basically very short 30-45 second rest periods. I’d go, my training partner would go type deal.

Focus was more or less, get as much blood as I could into the muscle.

I do seated DB press every other workout.

Actually if we look at it like this…I pre-fatigue the shit out of my delts before hitting a compound.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/7/c/7c5b2_ORIG-Collages1.jpg

I know I post a lot in here…but this is the work I’ve been putting in…

Difference between 18 inch arms thread. I enjoy when people say I don’t look like I’ve put on much size over the years when I stopped the crazy bulking…

Point is, look like a bodybuilder is better than just being big. You looke bigger leaner.

2002/2010/2012/2013(Current)

Thanks so much for the help man. Honestly big time motivated to heal up. I will keep you posted.

Amazing transformation so far…

You may want to consdier using coconut oil that is labeled as virgin/unrefined. If the label doesnt indicate virgin/unrefined, you can bet the oil has been processed/refined which I believe seriously reduces the health benefits.

I know John Meadows recommends only virgin/unrefined coconut oil. It is more expensive but definitely worth the health benefits plus more and more stores are starting to carry this version at a reasonable price.I get mine from Trader Joe’s for $5, not sure if they are in the New York area though…

The definition is really starting to come in now. Gonna look crazy in a month or so. Whats the rate at which you have been losing fat the last couple months?

The definition is really starting to come in now. Gonna look crazy in a month or so. Whats the rate at which you have been losing fat the last couple months?[/quote]

Give or take 2 pounds a week maybe a little more. I think I’ve 16 pounds in 6 weeks.

Just a few more to go. I’m fucking starving and eating a little extra every few days and taking some cals out to adjust for that on off days.

I can’t imagine how much I used to eat if I’m so hungry off 3000-3200 cals in a day.

Austin do you honestly regret getting as fat as you did in the beginning, just so you could claim 18 inch arms?

The definition is really starting to come in now. Gonna look crazy in a month or so. Whats the rate at which you have been losing fat the last couple months?[/quote]

Give or take 2 pounds a week maybe a little more. I think I’ve 16 pounds in 6 weeks.

Just a few more to go. I’m fucking starving and eating a little extra every few days and taking some cals out to adjust for that on off days.

I can’t imagine how much I used to eat if I’m so hungry off 3000-3200 cals in a day.
[/quote]

I hear ya, im dieting at 3200-3700 cals a day, and its definitely not as much as id like to eat, but its tolerable.