18 Inch Arms 2

The alcohol vid is just what I needed bruh

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Some bench with some glute bridges thrown in from this morning.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
You’re looking great in the videos man. Like people have commented, delts had a nice pop now.

What’s your typical day diet wise looking like now? And lately you’ve said you’ve switched from less PL training to more BB, controlling the weight and stuff. Are they still those long marathon sessions you were doing (2 hours at the gym) or are they more frequent, shorter sessions now?[/quote]

I’ll go into more details later.

But, IF for the most part. 3 meals a day.

2 Close together, pre and post workout and then dinner.

Obviously lots of meat, veggies, carbs around workout time.

I think I am stronger now than before and I’m on a cut, lost 10-12 lbs so far.

Gym sessions are frequent, 3 on 1 off, bodypart twice a week.

Big volume but it’s quick. I don’t rest too long, concentrate on form over weight on iso exercises. Going well so far.[/quote]

I see the water bottle stuck. I approve.

[quote]johnman18 wrote:
Nice to see you’re still around man. Feels so weird around here without the other vets…[/quote]

Hey dude, nice to see you posting too. Yeah I’m on break from school, have had a lot free time so I could get on more. I still converse daily with all the other guys, times have just changed I guess.
Are you in that BOI group on facebook? That would be really cool if you could hook me up with a link to it.

[quote]johnman18 wrote:

[quote]johnman18 wrote:
Nice to see you’re still around man. Feels so weird around here without the other vets…[/quote]

Hey dude, nice to see you posting too. Yeah I’m on break from school, have had a lot free time so I could get on more. I still converse daily with all the other guys, times have just changed I guess.
Are you in that BOI group on facebook? That would be really cool if you could hook me up with a link to it.[/quote]

I can’t cause it’s secret as in you can’t find it on facebook if your not in it or invited, and I’m not an admin.

You wouldn’t like it anyways, we hardly talk about lifting anymore, most of us have met in real life, it’s like a place where friends hangout and shoot the shit, nothing like the BOI on here though. We talk more about the latest GQ trends and what suits are on sale then weights. And the rest is girl and relationship talk and what the next hangout will be. Lol

Difference between 18 inch arms 1 and 18 inch arms 2…or I should say probably 17 inch arms but I refuse to measure.

Difference between 18 inch arms 1 and 18 inch arms 2…or I should say probably 17 inch arms but I refuse to measure.[/quote]

who cares dude you look 20x better now than you did before.

Wow! that is an awesome transformation. Good work dude:)

Thanks guys. Ryan I know man, I was kidding, I care more about what I look like than what I measure. Measurements now are just for shits and giggles.

Yo new vid.

I’m going to really push to get a lot of stuff up and just perfect the delivery with time.

And another, answering some questions.

And another. You can see what I do with myself, two weekdays at school before classes start and not much going down. Ha

K, and now back to arms.

Hey man. Like the vids. Keep doing them. Sounding more “natural” each time if that makes sense… More articulate.

Have you been working on your hips/ankle? Saw you mentioned them in that other thread… And if so have you noticed anything?

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:
Hey man. Like the vids. Keep doing them. Sounding more “natural” each time if that makes sense… More articulate.

Have you been working on your hips/ankle? Saw you mentioned them in that other thread… And if so have you noticed anything?[/quote]

Thanks man.

So far just some basic stretching. Doing more weighted calf exercises, some foam rolling. I don’t notice too much of a difference, but it has not been much time.

However I feel tight in certain areas. For example when I stretch the quadratus lumborum on the right side of my body (where my pelvis seems slightly tilted up) I can tell it is more tight than the left side, which would make sense.

Hopefully more stretching will help correct these issues.

Thanks ankle, I am going to strengthen the calf, and figure out a way to gain more mobility and strength in the joint. It was recommended to me to work it on a unstable surface, but I can’t think of many of those.

Actually found something I will try to strengthen the ankle joint. Standing on one foot for 60 seconds, then once you’re good at this, stand on one foot with your eyes closed for that amount of time… Obviously trying to balance is going to help strengthen that joint.

My right ankle has less dorsiflexion than the left and I have been trying to fix it for a while now. It has definitely gotten better over time but it is something that I definitely still have to work at. I have seen a lot of people regarding my ankle including a physical therapy session with Kelly Starrett (the guy from MobilityWod) and one of the most important things I learned was that everything is connected. Kelly said, to free up my ankle I also have to clear up the front of my hip and gave me a few exercises to do using band distractions to open up my hip. These definitely helped but my ankle still felt like it locked up and I couldn’t figure out why.

A couple months ago I smoked a joint and was cooking in the kitchen and I went to take a step with my right ankle and for the first time ever I actually NOTICED that I was kind of holding a position with my ankle very slightly and it wasn’t moving freely in the air when I went to take a step. Somehow since I finally noticed my “neural restriction” (that’s what I’m gonna call it) I was able to “let go” and I took a step with my ankle and it just popped and instantly felt looser.

Anyway, the moral of the story is to get high. Nah, but ever since then I have been able to notice the same thing in my ankle. I was not able always just “release my ankle” whenever I wanted but then I started balancing on one foot and sometimes that would work to release it but sometimes it wouldn’t. Now I finally took the time to make my own mobility routine specifically for me based on my restricions and so far it seems like it is working really good.

What I use to unlock my ankle and what I think would also help you is to stand on an airex (balance) pad with your bad foot and just raise your other knee up in the air and balance for as long as you can (I stop at a minute if I get that long). So far this has worked for me every time. It really does make all your little stabilizer muscles fire and seems like I have also gotten a little more stable on that leg throughout the day as well.

Anyway I kind of ended up rambling on and that was longer than I meant it to be. Basically I would just try to think about working on your body as a whole and realize that there are so many factors that could go into why your ankle is tight/weak. What Aragorn wrote when he replied to you in that thread had a lot of good info. I would second the advice of doing some of the things in mobilitywod videos. Escpecially ones that focus on hip and ankle of course…

Hopefully some of that info helps in some way…

Oh I’ve also been told that running on sand is really good for ankle stability and that’s free if you ever go to the beach…

That was some great advice, thanks Jon. I had to read it twice to understand what you were talking about with your ankle. So basically you were subconsciously putting your ankle in a slightly unnatural position when planting it on the ground and it may be part of the cause to your problem, but it took you a while to notice this? That’s what I got. So I will be paying more attention to my body.

Heard the same thing about the sand. When I first injured my ankle, I went to the beach about a week later and holy shit was walking in that sand painful. However, over a year later I should be able to do this.

I’ll look into that airex balance pad as well.

I tried the eyes closed, standing on one leg for 1 minute yesterday. I felt every little muscle working as a wobbled around having to catch myself on the wall a few times. It put my calf muscle and all the muscle in that area on fire. I will keep doing this.

Yup. I was subconciously restricting movement at my ankle. I think what happened is I must have injured my right ankle a long time ago (Have a vague memory of doing ankle circles for it to help heal it, can’t really remember injuring it though)which forced my body to compensate - Hip interanal rotation deficit, a weaker, less “active” glute, loss of full complete hip extension (which can cause my QL to act up since my gluete isn’t firing great) and of course shitty dorsiflexion, all on the right side. Bad ankle dorsiflexion reinforced (maybe even caused) all of that other shit and vice. Not even 100% sure which is the chicken and which is the egg… I think itâ??s more likely that my body was in bad positioning so my mind inhibited my ankle. What I do now, is unlock my ankle, and then do mobility for it right after, all while making sure to have really good form and driving my knee out.

There’s just a bunch of weird things that could be happening. I took the FMS Seminar (still haven’t taken the test) and one of the things I realized their is how important breathing is. I asked the guys presenting if you could do one exercise to help out with as many problems and imbalances as possible, what would it be? They said breathing. So diaphragmatic breathing. Like if don’t breath properly, you probably won’t be able to tighten your abs/core as much during an exericse and if you donâ??t do that your body will use other muscles to help stabilize you, like your hip flexors, which could make them always â??onâ?? or tight. At least thatâ??s my understanding. Keep in mind. I am no expert and am just letting you know what I have learned about my own body though my experience with seeing a few different people who are really good at what they do.

Anyway, Iâ??m not saying that your ankle problem is or is not this complicated. Could just be something simple. Main point Iâ??m trying to make is I think if you treat every problem as if it could be a whole body thing and work on fixing movements instead of looking at one joint youâ??ll probably see results faster.

I know my writing is kind of all over the placeâ?¦ If you have any questions let me know…

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:
Yup. I was subconciously restricting movement at my ankle. I think what happened is I must have injured my right ankle a long time ago (Have a vague memory of doing ankle circles for it to help heal it, can’t really remember injuring it though)which forced my body to compensate - Hip interanal rotation deficit, a weaker, less “active” glute, loss of full complete hip extension (which can cause my QL to act up since my gluete isn’t firing great) and of course shitty dorsiflexion, all on the right side. Bad ankle dorsiflexion reinforced (maybe even caused) all of that other shit and vice. Not even 100% sure which is the chicken and which is the egg… I think itâ??s more likely that my body was in bad positioning so my mind inhibited my ankle. What I do now, is unlock my ankle, and then do mobility for it right after, all while making sure to have really good form and driving my knee out.

There’s just a bunch of weird things that could be happening. I took the FMS Seminar (still haven’t taken the test) and one of the things I realized their is how important breathing is. I asked the guys presenting if you could do one exercise to help out with as many problems and imbalances as possible, what would it be? They said breathing. So diaphragmatic breathing. Like if don’t breath properly, you probably won’t be able to tighten your abs/core as much during an exericse and if you donâ??t do that your body will use other muscles to help stabilize you, like your hip flexors, which could make them always â??onâ?? or tight. At least thatâ??s my understanding. Keep in mind. I am no expert and am just letting you know what I have learned about my own body though my experience with seeing a few different people who are really good at what they do.

Anyway, Iâ??m not saying that your ankle problem is or is not this complicated. Could just be something simple. Main point Iâ??m trying to make is I think if you treat every problem as if it could be a whole body thing and work on fixing movements instead of looking at one joint youâ??ll probably see results faster.

I know my writing is kind of all over the placeâ?¦ If you have any questions let me know…
[/quote]

Makes a ton of sense. The body is made to work as a unit and obviously one imbalance can have a negative impact on another area of the body. I feel like the issue is amplified for someone like me who has been striving for perfection so every little issue becomes something I need to correct instead of being passive about it like a lot of other people would probably be. I appreciate you taking the time to give me such detail and in-depth ideas on how you are managing with your ankle and hip issue and how I can apply it.

Got another video up.