Vets, Make Me Bigger/Stronger/Leaner

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
I’m amazed by all this walking loses fat posts. I too use to walk my lovely old Labrador 5 times per week around the lake which was around 4 kilometers. I never once for a second considered that it could actually help me lose fat.
I’m still not sold on that.

If I could walk why wouldn’t I jog? If i can jog why wouldn’t I sprint?
I guess I’m just a High Intensity Interval Training fan.
Then again these days I prefer to lift weights. Supersets and tri sets give a great cardio effect.[/quote]

I have two torn meniscus from military training…running hurts lol.[/quote]

Welcome to the club.

In fact, I doubt running is even a good idea if you are much over 220lbs if your goal is great knees when you get older.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
I’m amazed by all this walking loses fat posts. I too use to walk my lovely old Labrador 5 times per week around the lake which was around 4 kilometers. I never once for a second considered that it could actually help me lose fat.

Then again these days I prefer to lift weights. Supersets and tri sets give a great cardio effect.[/quote]
I do sprints and drag my sled as well,But the walking part involves no recovery,even with the weighted vest.I don’t think It will melt the fat off like other methods but It still has some good all around benefits.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

Welcome to the club.

In fact, I doubt running is even a good idea if you are much over 220lbs if your goal is great knees when you get older.

[/quote]

Yep.

When I was much lihgter and in training, I had to run up to 10 miles a day, swim 1-3 miles a day, spend a few hours a day at the range, o-course, diving, close quarters hand to hand stuff, etc.

My current build would prove difficult lol.

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

I do sprints and drag my sled as well,But the walking part involves no recovery,even with the weighted vest.I don’t think It will melt the fat off like other methods but It still has some good all around benefits.[/quote]

agreed. my gym just got a sled so i may start using it for quick little sprints. sounds fun actually.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

Welcome to the club.

[/quote]

Yep.

When I was much lihgter and in training, I had to run up to 10 miles a day, swim 1-3 miles a day, spend a few hours a day at the range, o-course, diving, close quarters hand to hand stuff, etc.

My current build would prove difficult lol.[/quote]

Try pushing and pulling the sled, nothing over 40 yards…very easy on the knees.

Also, if you have any decent hills nearby try running them…between 50-70 yards…also easy on the knees.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

Oh I agree. I was just trying to make a point.
I have played football since I was 5 years old and retired at 32. I spent most of my life running and sprinting but can’t do it now due to serious knee injuries.

My main point I guess is that you can still get a good cardio effect from weight training by using supersets and tri sets or just reducing rest intervals.
More to it then that but you get the point.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

Welcome to the club.

[/quote]

Yep.

Try pushing and pulling the sled, nothing over 40 yards…very easy on the knees.

Also, if you have any decent hills nearby try running them…between 50-70 yards…also easy on the knees.[/quote]

Yep, sounds fun actually. Used to loathe hill sprints lol, but they are effective.

Well gents, I have to go smash this Euro Hist Final. be back later.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

I have played football since I was 5 years old and retired at 32. I spent most of my life running and sprinting but can’t do it now due to serious knee injuries.
[/quote]

…which I would imagine is the case with many guys especially those who carry significant body weight. Running sucks unless trying to be a better runner.

i agree that walking may be time better spent elsewhere and that resting less did way more than any walking did…but for some, they just need to try it first and see.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

My main point I guess is that you can still get a good cardio effect from weight training by using supersets and tri sets or just reducing rest intervals.
More to it then that but you get the point.
[/quote]
Ya I agree Barbell complex’s are awesome.I love em.Kettle bell’s as well.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

Welcome to the club.

[/quote]

Yep.

What job did you hold in the military? Sounds cool.

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:

What job did you hold in the military? Sounds cool.[/quote]

He would have to kill you.

He would have to kill you.[/quote]

Ha ha! Please don’t kill me OP.

He would have to kill you.[/quote]

Ha ha! Please don’t kill me OP.[/quote]

Lol.

I was training as part of a Naval Spec Ops unit. My focus was demolition and ordinance disposal.

I’m no badass though lol. Just got to train like one. Got hurt, med dropped. Back in college now.

You may live.

Just an idea of where I’m at after 1 week of dropping the carbs. I feel…less than impressive at the moment to say the least lol.

I’ll get some leg shots when I get back from exams.

Good work.

yes, you look like you can kick ass.

I did not read anything in that thread… yet.

But i’d adjust the carbs based on training vs rest days…

Lookin damn beastly to me.

You should be offering advice and help rather than looking for it!

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
You should be offering advice and help rather than looking for it![/quote]

X2

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
You should be offering advice and help rather than looking for it![/quote]

It’s the sign of a smart man…there is a reason John Meadows gets trained by Dave Tate.