UFC 107 Penn vs Sanchez

There’s a reason he’s called the prodigy. Where are all those threads bagging on BJ’s supposed lack of “skills” How much difference a year can make.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I would like to see Gray Maynard given a shot. BUT…I wouldn’t mind seeing Nate Diaz in there with BJ just because of how they match up style-wise…and personality-wise…lol.

Speaking of which…Maynard vs. Diaz at next UFC Fight Night.[/quote]

Just like Sanchez, BJ will be superior in both boxing and BJJ to Diaz. It’ll be an ass whoopin’, but I’ve always liked Diaz, especially when he wanted to go at it with Karo.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
There’s a reason he’s called the prodigy. Where are all those threads bagging on BJ’s supposed lack of “skills” How much difference a year can make.[/quote]

As Joe Rogan said, “It’s insane that BJ after 3 years of training took the World Jiu-Jitsu Championship”

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]slimjim wrote:
There’s a reason he’s called the prodigy. Where are all those threads bagging on BJ’s supposed lack of “skills” How much difference a year can make.[/quote]

As Joe Rogan said, “It’s insane that BJ after 3 years of training took the World Jiu-Jitsu Championship”[/quote]

Also, if I remembered correctly, he beat a few Gracie black belts who had been training for 10+ years to win the Championship.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

Now he’s taking his training and conditioning seriously though. A hungry BJ Penn is indeed one of the scariest fighters in all of MMA. He’s got that fire back that he seemed to be missing for a while there.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]slimjim wrote:

Now he’s taking his training and conditioning seriously though. A hungry BJ Penn is indeed one of the scariest fighters in all of MMA. He’s got that fire back that he seemed to be missing for a while there.[/quote]

Im not going to go back and find the threads, but there were plenty of retards on here who felt like they had done a proper analysis of BJ’s gameplan and skillset based off of what they saw against GSP. Running the gamit from “his striking is one dimensional” (he never throws kicks) to “really, how good is his BJJ, he’s never submitted anyone.” Not solely limited to critiques of his fitness which has never really been in question at 155. At welterweight, against top pressure heavy guys like GSP and Hughes, many have gotten tired, let alone a natural 155 pounder.

I’ve been saying it for years, BJ is truly a student of the game, just because you havent seen him throw a high kick (oh wait, you guys just did) doesnt mean he hasn’t studied and practiced how to throw one until he was more than proficient at it. The guy takes OCD to an entirely different level regarding skills training.

I’m glad somebody finally said this.

I see a Sanchez v K-Flow fight in the cards.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]slimjim wrote:

Now he’s taking his training and conditioning seriously though. A hungry BJ Penn is indeed one of the scariest fighters in all of MMA. He’s got that fire back that he seemed to be missing for a while there.[/quote]

Im not going to go back and find the threads, but there were plenty of retards on here who felt like they had done a proper analysis of BJ’s gameplan and skillset based off of what they saw against GSP. Running the gamit from “his striking is one dimensional” (he never throws kicks) to “really, how good is his BJJ, he’s never submitted anyone.” Not solely limited to critiques of his fitness which has never really been in question at 155. At welterweight, against top pressure heavy guys like GSP and Hughes, many have gotten tired, let alone a natural 155 pounder.

I’ve been saying it for years, BJ is truly a student of the game, just because you havent seen him throw a high kick (oh wait, you guys just did) doesnt mean he hasn’t studied and practiced how to throw one until he was more than proficient at it. The guy takes OCD to an entirely different level regarding skills training.[/quote]

I guess I’m one of the retards you are referring to. I stated the obvious on the 1st page, BJ is both SUPERIOR in boxing and BJJ. Sanchez doesn’t come close in those areas.

The only thing that Sanchez probably does better is kick, because BJ hardly doesn’t. Even Rogan remarked when BJ threw that leg kick, “A rare kick from BJ” So going from what I’ve seen from previous Sanchez and BJ fights, Sanchez may be the better kicker. And I’ve never said BJ is one-dimensional striker. He does throw some of the best knees.

[quote]IB.Curlin wrote:
I see a Sanchez v K-Flow fight in the cards. [/quote]

I don’t know. Too many other match-ups at 155 that make more sense right now. It would give Florian a chance to avenge a loss…but I’d rather see Florian and Sanchez versus Edgar,Maynard,Griffin or Diaz.

Florian is definitely not the same fighter Sanchez beat back then…so a rematch would be interesting…but there are too many guys at 155 that need to be tested,imo. Gotta find someone clearly worth putting up against BJ Penn…IF there is such a thing…lol.

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]slimjim wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]slimjim wrote:

I’ve been saying it for years, BJ is truly a student of the game, just because you havent seen him throw a high kick (oh wait, you guys just did) doesnt mean he hasn’t studied and practiced how to throw one until he was more than proficient at it. The guy takes OCD to an entirely different level regarding skills training.[/quote]

I guess I’m one of the retards you are referring to. I stated the obvious on the 1st page, BJ is both SUPERIOR in boxing and BJJ. Sanchez doesn’t come close in those areas.

The only thing that Sanchez probably does better is kick, because BJ hardly doesn’t. Even Rogan remarked when BJ threw that leg kick, “A rare kick from BJ” So going from what I’ve seen from previous Sanchez and BJ fights, Sanchez may be the better kicker. And I’ve never said BJ is one-dimensional striker. He does throw some of the best knees.[/quote]

I can’t remember if it was you, I don’t think it was. I wasn’t referring to this thread as I haven’t looked at the posts, I was referring to previous discussions where everything about BJ’s game was called into question - basically comparing him to fighters like Chuck Liddell or other guys who fall into patterns and are predictable…the arm chair experts were trying to say that BJ needed to revamp his game, as if him not throwing kicks was an oversight in his skill set and not by design for his particular style, and his lack of diversity (I think the thread I’m refferring to went down just before the Florian fight) in his striking would give the advantage to Florian, the more diverse striker. As if BJ hadn’t studied muay thai extensively, going so far as to train in thailand and fly in muay thai trainers from brazil.

BJ was 2 for 2 on kicks thrown. Diego landed 8 strikes the entire night. I’d say that BJ is the better kicker, but then value judgements are always relative.

SlimJim- Don’t take all the credit saying BJ is beastly/other wordly/ not gonna lose till he retires. Can we say those things too? All jokes aside, I love BJ because his striking style is… boxing. And I box. So that’s why I like him. He’s also from Hawaii- I lived there in my younger days. I was saying he would trainwreck Sherk. In fact, I may go find that old thread some time.

And as for Sanchez- I was taking a shower one time and thought to myself- ‘you know how diego runs across the ring like a fucking numbnut? what if a REALLY GOOD STRIKER caught him with a punch as he was running in?’ low and behold, BJ is the prodigy- and shut that downs kid up. I want Florian to fight Diego again- and cut him up with them elbows.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]slimjim wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]slimjim wrote:

The only thing that Sanchez probably does better is kick, because BJ hardly doesn’t. Even Rogan remarked when BJ threw that leg kick, “A rare kick from BJ” So going from what I’ve seen from previous Sanchez and BJ fights, Sanchez may be the better kicker. And I’ve never said BJ is one-dimensional striker. He does throw some of the best knees.[/quote]

I can’t remember if it was you, I don’t think it was. I wasn’t referring to this thread as I haven’t looked at the posts, I was referring to previous discussions where everything about BJ’s game was called into question - basically comparing him to fighters like Chuck Liddell or other guys who fall into patterns and are predictable…the arm chair experts were trying to say that BJ needed to revamp his game, as if him not throwing kicks was an oversight in his skill set and not by design for his particular style, and his lack of diversity (I think the thread I’m refferring to went down just before the Florian fight) in his striking would give the advantage to Florian, the more diverse striker. As if BJ hadn’t studied muay thai extensively, going so far as to train in thailand and fly in muay thai trainers from brazil.

BJ was 2 for 2 on kicks thrown. Diego landed 8 strikes the entire night. I’d say that BJ is the better kicker, but then value judgements are always relative.[/quote]

That’s the thing, I don’t know if BJ is a good kicker because he rarely does it. 2 kicks landed on a beaten individual is a small sample to grade someone on. Look at GSP, kicking and especially to the leg is a big part of his arsenal.

I’ve always wondered why BJ doesn’t kick more since he has such tremendous balance and flexibility. Kicking should come easy to him but I don’t think he cares if it’s part of his game. When you can wreck everyone with your boxing and BJJ, I guess you don’t have to diversify as much.

[quote]fnf wrote:
When you can wreck everyone with your boxing and BJJ, I guess you don’t have to diversify as much.[/quote]

who says having a highly polished boxing and BJJ game isn’t “diversified”? seems to be diversified enough for him at the moment.

[quote]Therizza wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:
When you can wreck everyone with your boxing and BJJ, I guess you don’t have to diversify as much.[/quote]

who says having a highly polished boxing and BJJ game isn’t “diversified”? seems to be diversified enough for him at the moment.[/quote]

That’s true. BJ is much better than everyone else in both boxing and BJJ that’s all he needs. I was just wondering about the kicks. Slimjim would know more about this.

My friend who’s a big Florian fan said he’ll be ready for BJ in about a year. I told him don’t let the Guida fight fool you.

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]Therizza wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

who says having a highly polished boxing and BJJ game isn’t “diversified”? seems to be diversified enough for him at the moment.[/quote]

That’s true. BJ is much better than everyone else in both boxing and BJJ that’s all he needs. I was just wondering about the kicks. Slimjim would know more about this.

My friend who’s a big Florian fan said he’ll be ready for BJ in about a year. I told him don’t let the Guida fight fool you.[/quote]

I think BJ is too good at making people fight his fight. If you take him down, and that’s a big if, he can submit you quickly, as we saw with Florian. If it stays standing, his boxing is really good enough to win the fight. His striking made Diego look like a novice. He’s the real deal. I love BJ. I want to move back to Hawaii, just to be the janitor at his gym.

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]Therizza wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

My friend who’s a big Florian fan said he’ll be ready for BJ in about a year. I told him don’t let the Guida fight fool you.[/quote]

I think BJ is too good at making people fight his fight. If you take him down, and that’s a big if, he can submit you quickly, as we saw with Florian. If it stays standing, his boxing is really good enough to win the fight. His striking made Diego look like a novice. He’s the real deal. I love BJ. I want to move back to Hawaii, just to be the janitor at his gym.

[quote]Therizza wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]Therizza wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

I think BJ is too good at making people fight his fight. If you take him down, and that’s a big if, he can submit you quickly, as we saw with Florian. If it stays standing, his boxing is really good enough to win the fight. His striking made Diego look like a novice. He’s the real deal. I love BJ. I want to move back to Hawaii, just to be the janitor at his gym.[/quote]

If you go back to Hawaii, go to Mama’s Fish House in Maui and have a mahi mahi with wasabi butter sauce for me.