UFC 107 Penn vs Sanchez

Thoughts??

Personally I don’t like Sanchez, I think he’s fucking weird and to be perfectly honest - probably slightly retarded.

I’m seeing BJ wrecking him in the 2nd.

how “weird” you perceive him to be is of no relevance to the outcome of this fight.

you call him “weird” because you can’t understand his level of mental focus, and dub it “retarded” as a childish way of insulting a man who has already achieved far more then you ever could.

this will be a great fight and i would be utterly stunned if bj “wrecks” him. rather, i see sanchez pushing his usual pace early and overwhelming bj ala GSP.

of course, bj always has the ability to bust out an incredible performance, but for the UFC’s sake, i’d like to see Sanchez win.

[quote]darraghoconaill wrote:
how “weird” you perceive him to be is of no relevance to the outcome of this fight.

you call him “weird” because you can’t understand his level of mental focus, and dub it “retarded” as a childish way of insulting a man who has already achieved far more then you ever could.

this will be a great fight and i would be utterly stunned if bj “wrecks” him. rather, i see sanchez pushing his usual pace early and overwhelming bj ala GSP.

of course, bj always has the ability to bust out an incredible performance, but for the UFC’s sake, i’d like to see Sanchez win.[/quote]

lol

I see BJ beating Diaz handlily but have to say I love Diaz’s fighting style and have real respect for his camp. Saulo is one person I would kill to train with.

Diaz is a bit of a nut job though.

Solid fight card.

Penn vs. Sanchez should be a competitive fight. It will be interesting to see how BJ keeps pace with him. BJ should get the better of the stand-up. Diago’s best bet may be to work his clinch game where he can wear BJ down a bit. I can’t wait to see if Diago attempts to get it to the ground and if he can take BJ down.

Mir vs. Kongo - Can’t wait for this fight. This one comes down to Mir’s TDs vs. Kongo’s TD defense. I hope it stay of the feet for awhile so we can see how far along Mir’s striking has come.

Can’t wait to see Palhares in the cage again.

The Guida vs. Florian fight should be entertaining.

Penn v. Sanchez-Sanchez is a high pace fighter. He certainly has the ability to wear down BJ if he can avoid taking too much damage in the early rounds. Diego likes to trade punches, but against BJ that is hard to do. BJ punches very hard and has a stone chin. Also, BJ possesses a great jab and will be able to control the distance more effectively than Diego’s other opponents (similar to how Koscheck was able to control distance with his jab in their fight). On the ground BJ probably has an advantage, but I doubt it’s a huge one. Diego has been training with Saulo Ribeiro and has always been solid there. I think BJ’s power will be the difference and he will wear Diego down similar to how he wore down Sean Sherk and Kenny Florian and win via stoppage in round 4.

Mir v. Kongo-dhickey has this right, which I think is pretty obvious. Kongo has decent wrestling, and I don’t think Mir has particularly good takedowns. I look for Mir to pull guard or half guard fairly early, similar to what he did with Brock in round one the 2nd time they fought (i.e. go for a footlock/kneebar just to get it to the ground if the sub fails). Kongo, however, has some very nasty ground n’ pound and is just so big and strong. I look for Kongo to win via TKO in round 2.

Guida v. Florian-Kenny Florian is better at everything except being ugly. Florian will use movement and distance to frustrate the spastic attacks of Guida and would submit or reverse him on the ground. I like Florian via unanimous decision.

Diegos is solid but there is no way he is even close to BJ on the ground, we all saw BJ toy with Kenny there. These are my two favorite fighters so I don’t care who wins, I can see Diego coming out and swinging for the fences something I think BJ will game to do so it should exciting.

I hope Kongo knocks Mir out, mainly because I think Mir is overrated and he has a big mouth.

I can see Kenny winning a boring ass decision, or Clay winning a boring ass decision.

As solid as Sanchez is Penn seems invincable at 155. I don’t see Sanchez or anyone else beating him as long as he stays focused.

I’d like to see Mir take this fight seriously and not dive in for the highlight submission. Kongo can obviously bang but I don’t ever remember him knocking anyone out. I got Mir here.

Don’t really care who wins the Guida Florian fight, I just wanna watch 'em beat the hell out of eachother.

I don’t like Penn’s erratic conditioning. One time he’s in shape next two times he gasses in the second round. In that area I give Sanchez the nod. The longer the fight goes the worse it will be for Penn.

I know Penn is touted as being invincible on the ground, but I watched two guys beat him senseless on the ground, Hughes and GSP. Granted Sanchez is not a wrestler but I think he’s going to give Penn a hard time on the ground because of his sheer size and skill.

Standing, I think Penn has a better game, but will Sanchez’s height and reach be too much for Penn?

I honestly don’t see this as being a good fight for Penn. If he’s 100%, the best Penn he can possibly be he’ll win, but how many times have we really seen that?

They both beat up Ken (I want BJ’s belt) Florian. But Sanchez did it in the first round. It took Penn 4 rounds to do it. Sanchez also took out Joe Riggs in the first round. The only two losses that Sanchez has on his record are to Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch, both by decision, in fact Fitch was a split decision. Granted this was all at a higher weight class and we don’t know how much Sanchez has lost by sucking as much weight as he has. However, He’s beaten both Guida and Stevenson at lightweight.

I’m going to buck the BJ trend on this thread and call Sanchez as the winner. Here’s why:

I don’t see Penn being able to stop Sanchez and the longer the fight goes the worse Penn will look. I see Sanchez taking a decision, or win by stoppage in the 5th round because Penn runs out of oxygen.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I don’t like Penn’s erratic conditioning. One time he’s in shape next two times he gasses in the second round. In that area I give Sanchez the nod. The longer the fight goes the worse it will be for Penn.

I know Penn is touted as being invincible on the ground, but I watched two guys beat him senseless on the ground, Hughes and GSP. Granted Sanchez is not a wrestler but I think he’s going to give Penn a hard time on the ground because of his sheer size and skill.

Standing, I think Penn has a better game, but will Sanchez’s height and reach be too much for Penn?

I honestly don’t see this as being a good fight for Penn. If he’s 100%, the best Penn he can possibly be he’ll win, but how many times have we really seen that?

They both beat up Ken (I want BJ’s belt) Florian. But Sanchez did it in the first round. It took Penn 4 rounds to do it. Sanchez also took out Joe Riggs in the first round. The only two losses that Sanchez has on his record are to Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch, both by decision, in fact Fitch was a split decision. Granted this was all at a higher weight class and we don’t know how much Sanchez has lost by sucking as much weight as he has. However, He’s beaten both Guida and Stevenson at lightweight.

I’m going to buck the BJ trend on this thread and call Sanchez as the winner. Here’s why:

I don’t see Penn being able to stop Sanchez and the longer the fight goes the worse Penn will look. I see Sanchez taking a decision, or win by stoppage in the 5th round because Penn runs out of oxygen.

[/quote]

I’m taking BJ. He’s superior in both boxing and bjj skills.

Yes Sanchez beat Florian in 1 round 4 years ago, but you have to admit Florian is much better now, and they fought at a higher weight class.

Sanchez is no where near Hughes and GSP on the ground. When Hughes beat BJ senseless on the ground in their second fight, BJ was clearly gassed. And the round before BJ had Hughes in that choke and armbar.

When GSP beat Penn, GSP had at least 20 extra lbs on BJ. Plus GSP is much stronger than Sanchez, so he won’t be able to control him on the ground as well.

BJ will win IF he comes in top condition. Don’t we say that with all his fights though. lol

Uh, Sanchez IS a wrestler.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Uh, Sanchez IS a wrestler.[/quote]

Not anywhere near the proficiency of hughes or GSP though, hence why it’s a bad comparison.

[quote]Valor wrote:
darraghoconaill wrote:

of course, bj always has the ability to bust out an incredible performance, but for the UFC’s sake, i’d like to see Sanchez win.

lol[/quote]

rofl

[quote]fnf wrote:
ZEB wrote:

BJ will win IF he comes in top condition. Don’t we say that with all his fights though. lol[/quote]

Boy you said it, lol, that’s why I said: [quote]If he’s 100%, the best Penn he can possibly be he’ll win[/quote]

I’m counting on him NOT being in 100% condition. At this point I think we should assume that he’s not at his best until proven otherwise.

I’ll bet good money on Mir if the odds are right, I just think he’ll finish Kongo.

Penn I suspect will also get it although Diego’s tough as nails. I can see Ken Flo knocking out Guida, or possibly getting a decision. Kenny’s a good finisher but Guida’s durable.

I see BJ winning this fight using his takedown defense and outboxing Diego for a finish in the 2nd round. Sanchez’s standup skills aren’t that polished while BJ’s are pretty decent.

I don’t see Kongo winning this fight unless he picks away at Mir for 3 rounds or lands a flash KO. Even though Mir’s takedowns aren’t all that great, he should be able to take Kongo down and submit him. I would love for Kongo to win though because I like his fighting style and I’m really starting to dislike Mir and his obsession with Brock Lesnar.

I can see the Guida-Florian fight going short or long. If it’s short, Florian wins it, but if it’s long, Guida takes the decision. Clay has the best conditioning of any lightweight in the UFC that I’ve seen and he’s one of the most durable.

I have a prediction: You are right in your prediction, the fight goes 5 rounds and Sanchez wins a decision . . . BUT, the judges award the win to BJ, even though every living soul who saw the thing knew hands-down that BJ got whooped like a redheaded stepchild.

The way decisions have gone lately, that’s what I think will happen. Just a hunch. :slight_smile:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

Penn-Sanchez: Penn by TKO (not KO), or Sanchez by UD. i think Penn can pound him out and take any shot Diego’s got, but Sanchez is really developing into a good, all-around fighter. his wrestling/BJJ was always his strong suit, but when he fought Guida, his kickboxing looked awesome, and it thought he damn near TKO’d Guida (not to mention the SD was bullshit). either way, i don’t really care who wins. i kinda like boths guys, and at the same time, i think their both dickheads. i dunno…

Kongo-Mir: Kongo by TKO or KO, unless he does something really stoopid. Mir can’t take a hit, and always does his “curl-in-a-ball” defense…Kongo prolly hits and kicks harder than anyone Mir’s fought. still, Mir is an experienced fighter, and has good BJJ, so he always has a chance…

Guia-Florian: while i like Kenny, and respect all the improvements he’s made, i just don’t see him subbing or KO’ing Guida. Guida’s pace otherwise is pretty much impossible to match, and he’ll outpoint anyone at that division.

overall, i’m really looking forward to this card…

[quote]Damici wrote:
I have a prediction: You are right in your prediction, the fight goes 5 rounds and Sanchez wins a decision . . . BUT, the judges award the win to BJ, even though every living soul who saw the thing knew hands-down that BJ got whooped like a redheaded stepchild.

The way decisions have gone lately, that’s what I think will happen. Just a hunch. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

LOL…you’re prolly right!

The way they are both making it sound there going to run at each other swinging, should be an exciting title fight for a change.