The Expendables Review

Saw it yesterday. The whole fucking thing was awesome, from start to finish. The scene where the girl takes Stallone to the Hill and he and Statham wreck shit for a good 3 minutes was probably my favorite scene. I’m gonna see this again before it leaves the theater.

[quote]â??The Expendablesâ?? topped the weekend box office. The Lionsgate film, directed, co-written and starring Sylvester Stallone, with an ensemble cast that includes Bruce Willis, Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li and other action stars, earned $35 million.

â??Eat, Pray, Love,â?? the film adaptation of Elizabeth Gilbertâ??s bestselling memoir, placed second. â??Eatâ?? (Sony), which stars Julia Roberts, brought in $23.7 million. [/quote]

WIN

Awful movie. Beyond awful writing, not one reasonably witty or funny part (even though Stallone attempted to put them in there, they failed), and all in all just a shit movie and a waste of 10 bucks.

I mean, a couple of the fights scenes were cool, Statham’s badass, so is Terry Crews, but Coutore is a HORRIFIC actor, Jet Li was pretty pathetic, and Stallone just mailed that shit in, him and his waxy, over-surgeried face… really dissapointing overall.

It’s hard for me to believe that the guy that wrote this is the same guy that wrote Rocky and Rambo.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
^and I thought I was alone in thinking that about Dolph Lundren.

Read an article where Stallone said if this does well he already has an idea for a sequel “I’m going on record saying I can’t imagine topping Terry’s Bad MOFO GUN. Or Randy’s Punch-the single coldest punch in Movie History”[/quote]

If they do make a sequel, could they cast Steven Seagal for fuck’s sake?

This may have been addressed elsewhere, but Seagal wasn’t in this due to the filming of Machete, correct?[/quote]
That’s what I had read and JCVD didn’t want to do it because the story wasn’t that good he claims
Honestly this movie could be Stallone and the rest farting on a snare drum and I’ll still see it and buy the special edition DVD[/quote]

JCVD is fag and would only ruin the movie.

Agreed though, I plan on seeing this and/or buying it on DVD once comes out. [/quote]

The fact that the man doesn’t know how to handle a gun and usually does that karate shit would have ruined it for me.[/quote]

Seagal declined to appear because he didn’t want to work with one of the producers, and Van Damme turned down the part that eventually went to Dolph Lundgren because it “lacked depth”.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

Read an article where Stallone said if this does well he already has an idea for a sequel “I’m going on record saying I can’t imagine topping Terry’s Bad MOFO GUN. Or Randy’s Punch-the single coldest punch in Movie History”[/quote]

This may have been addressed elsewhere, but Seagal wasn’t in this due to the filming of Machete, correct?[/quote]
That’s what I had read and JCVD didn’t want to do it because the story wasn’t that good he claims
Honestly this movie could be Stallone and the rest farting on a snare drum and I’ll still see it and buy the special edition DVD[/quote]

Agreed though, I plan on seeing this and/or buying it on DVD once comes out. [/quote]

The fact that the man doesn’t know how to handle a gun and usually does that karate shit would have ruined it for me.[/quote]

Seagal declined to appear because he didn’t want to work with one of the producers, and Van Damme turned down the part that eventually went to Dolph Lundgren because it “lacked depth”.
[/quote]

And…JCVD is still ghey.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Homo ramblings.[/quote]

I was hoping the whole time you were going to say, just kidding. However you didn’t, and that is sad.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[/quote]

And…JCVD is still ghey.[/quote]

Quite. Van Damme is a pretentious twat. His movies are what they are, but his ego has always been the limiting factor in his career (he once boasted that he never took acting lessons…no shit) But…the peak of his self-love was turning down this movie, which, let’s face it, as a theatrical release would not have damaged his career in the slightest. His interviews are frakking hilarious, though (unintentionally, of course).

Saw it last night and was a little disappointed. I thought the whole movie would be like the last 30 minutes. Should have had moar Terry Crewes with his auto shotgun. Mickey Rourke was good, and Steve Austin looked massive. He looked like he put on 30-40 lbs.

It was good overall, for what it was, but I expected a lot moar.

Homo ramblings.[/quote]

I was hoping the whole time you were going to say, just kidding. However you didn’t, and that is sad.[/quote]

Dude… that was the cheesiest shit in the entire world. Every line was awful, everything was predictable… it was awful.

Now I like goofy action movies that are just there for a good time like “The Rundown” or “Roadhouse” or whatever. But this was just pathetic.

Homo ramblings.[/quote]

I was hoping the whole time you were going to say, just kidding. However you didn’t, and that is sad.[/quote]

Dude… that was the cheesiest shit in the entire world. Every line was awful, everything was predictable… it was awful.

Now I like goofy action movies that are just there for a good time like “The Rundown” or “Roadhouse” or whatever. But this was just pathetic.[/quote]

I believe everything you said. Cheesy beyond belief. 64yr Old Sly running down the pier had me grabbing my seat thinking shit old man is going to catch a heartattack. And every word you said is why I loved it.

And why I know YOU will watch it again an again. Your boys will shame you into it over beer Pizza and the Directors cut Blue ray even just to play back Terry Crews and the AA-12 shotty. Its ok you don’t have to admit it now hahah

I went to college for acting and film…just thought I should say that first…minored in Athletic Training…

Ok…the film was good. Heres why

1. Stallone literally looks like a 65 year old man running. He was frankenstein as all hell
  2. The AA-12 was bad ass! Terry Crews lit that Island up
  3. All the characters were predictable
  4. The writing was HORRENDOUS…I mean…it was just awful

BUT…

I LOVED IT! Every minute of it! And hopefully there will be an Expendables 2 where better writing and plot can shine…but I grew up on these guys as a kid (still 24)and seeing most of them all in one movie was Awesome! Stone Cold did look massive…However JCVD and Chuck Norris wouldve been awesome too. Maybe Stallones saving them and others for part two?

oh and the bruce willis, Stallone, Arnold scene was epic. And how can I forget? The tag team of Statham and Jet Li was Amazing!

[quote]four60 wrote:

And why I know YOU will watch it again an again. Your boys will shame you into it over beer Pizza and the Directors cut Blue ray even just to play back Terry Crews and the AA-12 shotty. Its ok you don’t have to admit it now hahah[/quote]

LOL.

This is sad… but true.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
I saw the movie. Pure Ass Kickage. Watch it. Now.

I only wish JCVD was in it.

I’d say more, but I’m tired. And what else should I have to say. Watch this movie.

Have you caught the ghey? Go see the movie. Now! Put down your man purse. Throw away your True Blood movie collection. Erase True Blood from your DVR list. Stop watching re-runs of Glee.

Get up, go to the theaters, pull out your plain black/brown wallet, pay cash(or debit), and watch this movie. Take back what Hollywood has taken from you.[/quote]

It was the greatest movie of all time. In no other movie did I see a man fire a warning shot into a guy’s stomach with a grenade launcher.

I rest my case.

I don’t understand how anyone is complaining that it was predictable. No shit it was predictable. I was expecting an over the top action flick with cheesy one-liners, a nonsensical plot, bad acting and a body count in the 1,000’s. I got everything I expected and more. It wasn’t the best action flick I’ve ever seen, but it was definitely the flick with the best action. I will see it again in the theatres, and I will buy it the day it comes out.

Sly: “He wants to be President”

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I don’t understand how anyone is complaining that it was predictable. No shit it was predictable. I was expecting an over the top action flick with cheesy one-liners, a nonsensical plot, bad acting and a body count in the 1,000’s. I got everything I expected and more. It wasn’t the best action flick I’ve ever seen, but it was definitely the flick with the best action. I will see it again in the theatres, and I will buy it the day it comes out.[/quote]

Exactly. So many movies I saw as a kid weren’t good, were cheesy, and had a predictable plot. Commando, please? Conan, come on? Rambo 2, 3, Rocky movies, every Arnold film that did have a robot in it?

They all suck as quality acting, plot, and development films and win as action flicks.

Homo ramblings.[/quote]

Now I like goofy action movies that are just there for a good time like “The Rundown” or “Roadhouse” or whatever. But this was just pathetic.[/quote]

I didn’t go there for a twist. And the movie had some funny parts, Arnold scene?

I went there to see some stuff I haven’t seen in an action movie, like fight scenes with actual fighting styles that mercs would use. Crazy ass weapons that are non-issue in the military. Motorcycles, tattoos, redemption, killing, blowing up stuff, fighting evil, &c. I didn’t walk into this movie saying, oh I hope this is Inception, or A Beautiful Mind.

In my Action movies the most twist I want is about, as much as, the Boondock Saints gives. That El Duce is The Saints father. Besides that you’re taking away from the action.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I don’t understand how anyone is complaining that it was predictable. No shit it was predictable. I was expecting an over the top action flick with cheesy one-liners, a nonsensical plot, bad acting and a body count in the 1,000’s. I got everything I expected and more. It wasn’t the best action flick I’ve ever seen, but it was definitely the flick with the best action. I will see it again in the theatres, and I will buy it the day it comes out.[/quote]

Exactly. So many movies I saw as a kid weren’t good, were cheesy, and had a predictable plot. Commando, please? Conan, come on? Rambo 2, 3, Rocky movies, every Arnold film that did have a robot in it?

They all suck as quality acting, plot, and development films and win as action flicks.[/quote]

I disagree. The Rocky movies you could get into. Maybe they were overproduced by they were still quality movies.

And Terminator? T2? Those were intense, good movies.

And even the lower rung, the Blood Sports, etc. were good time movies.

This one though just really grated on me the wrong way, I think because the guys in it CAN act, and have done so pretty well in other movies- guys like Jet Li, Stallone, Steve Austin, etc.

But it seemed like everyone just mailed this one in and didn’t even try. Like I said, Statham and Crews were the only guys in that movie that even resembled “actors.”

Stallone really needs to stop getting plastic surgery and start devoting more time to writing things that don’t suck.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

They all suck as quality acting, plot, and development films and win as action flicks.[/quote]

I disagree. The Rocky movies you could get into. Maybe they were overproduced by they were still quality movies.

And Terminator? T2? Those were intense, good movies.

And even the lower rung, the Blood Sports, etc. were good time movies.

This one though just really grated on me the wrong way, I think because the guys in it CAN act, and have done so pretty well in other movies- guys like Jet Li, Stallone, Steve Austin, etc.

But it seemed like everyone just mailed this one in and didn’t even try. Like I said, Statham and Crews were the only guys in that movie that even resembled “actors.”

Stallone really needs to stop getting plastic surgery and start devoting more time to writing things that don’t suck.[/quote]

He looks fine, looks like he lived twenty years getting punched in his mouth for money.

However, the tattoo guy’s caps were sick. And, I’m trying to find a hat like his.