The Expendables Review

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

He looks fine, looks like he lived twenty years getting punched in his mouth for money.

However, the tattoo guy’s caps were sick. And, I’m trying to find a hat like his.[/quote]

No…he looks fake and plastered together. at least in this movie he did.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I don’t understand how anyone is complaining that it was predictable. No shit it was predictable. I was expecting an over the top action flick with cheesy one-liners, a nonsensical plot, bad acting and a body count in the 1,000’s. I got everything I expected and more. It wasn’t the best action flick I’ve ever seen, but it was definitely the flick with the best action. I will see it again in the theatres, and I will buy it the day it comes out.[/quote]

Exactly. So many movies I saw as a kid weren’t good, were cheesy, and had a predictable plot. Commando, please? Conan, come on? Rambo 2, 3, Rocky movies, every Arnold film that did have a robot in it?

They all suck as quality acting, plot, and development films and win as action flicks.[/quote]

I disagree. The Rocky movies you could get into. Maybe they were overproduced by they were still quality movies.

And Terminator? T2? Those were intense, good movies.

And even the lower rung, the Blood Sports, etc. were good time movies.

This one though just really grated on me the wrong way, I think because the guys in it CAN act, and have done so pretty well in other movies- guys like Jet Li, Stallone, Steve Austin, etc.

But it seemed like everyone just mailed this one in and didn’t even try. Like I said, Statham and Crews were the only guys in that movie that even resembled “actors.”

Stallone really needs to stop getting plastic surgery and start devoting more time to writing things that don’t suck.[/quote]

Irish, you’re killin’ me!!! I don’t feel like they mailed it in at all. I feel liked they hammed it up and played it exactly the way it was supposed to be played. No one took themselves too seriously, everybody was over the top [another great cheesy 80’s flick, by the way] in the best possible 80’s way and shit got fucking destroyed left and right. Dude, I think you’re over-analyzing a movie starring all the great 80’s action icons called “The Expendables”. I’m not really sure what you were expecting?

Irish, why are you doing this to me?

White flash…its about time you made a shot. You’ve been 0 of 5 for the past year.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

He looks fine, looks like he lived twenty years getting punched in his mouth for money.

However, the tattoo guy’s caps were sick. And, I’m trying to find a hat like his.[/quote]

No…he looks fake and plastered together. at least in this movie he did.[/quote]

Looked the same in Rocky 5, from what I remember.

However, I’m still digging Tool’s caps on his teeth. Rourke looks a little ghey sometimes though, I’m glad he gained some weight.

We’ve won the first battle!

Did I mention, guns from, Red Dead Redemption
9 mils, fifty clip extensions…

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

We’ve won the first battle!

[/quote]

Kick ass, I’ll give buy one more ticket before Machette comes out.

And Sly looks like he should a 64 year old with a worn out face. He was never a Cary Grant. I should repost the behind the scene fight with Stone Cold. The part were Sly was tackled almost broke his neck he has metal in there now.

http://www.movieweb.com/movie/the-expendables/VIFnUbITxABVJO

Check this out. Cat has to be crazy. At 64 to still be putting your body on the line like this is nuts. If he does make a EXP-2 I hope he lets someone else Direct or Let his stunts be done totally by someone else. He’s to freaking old to be doing this crazy shit. I want the old dog around to Direct the new 48hrs with The Rock and Jet Li in 2017.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I don’t understand how anyone is complaining that it was predictable. No shit it was predictable. I was expecting an over the top action flick with cheesy one-liners, a nonsensical plot, bad acting and a body count in the 1,000’s. I got everything I expected and more. It wasn’t the best action flick I’ve ever seen, but it was definitely the flick with the best action. I will see it again in the theatres, and I will buy it the day it comes out.[/quote]

Exactly. So many movies I saw as a kid weren’t good, were cheesy, and had a predictable plot. Commando, please? Conan, come on? Rambo 2, 3, Rocky movies, every Arnold film that did have a robot in it?

They all suck as quality acting, plot, and development films and win as action flicks.[/quote]

I disagree. The Rocky movies you could get into. Maybe they were overproduced by they were still quality movies.

And Terminator? T2? Those were intense, good movies.

And even the lower rung, the Blood Sports, etc. were good time movies.

This one though just really grated on me the wrong way, I think because the guys in it CAN act, and have done so pretty well in other movies- guys like Jet Li, Stallone, Steve Austin, etc.

But it seemed like everyone just mailed this one in and didn’t even try. Like I said, Statham and Crews were the only guys in that movie that even resembled “actors.”

Stallone really needs to stop getting plastic surgery and start devoting more time to writing things that don’t suck.[/quote]
Made a typo, meant to say every Arnold movie without a robot. I really think other than T1,2, and Predator his movies weren’t great. But I still enjoyed them other than Conan. Sucked donkey balls IMO.

I was there opening day in 1981 I think it was and any guy that lifted was excited to see an Arnold movie. It just wasn’t to good.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Irish, you’re killin’ me!!! I don’t feel like they mailed it in at all. I feel liked they hammed it up and played it exactly the way it was supposed to be played. No one took themselves too seriously, everybody was over the top [another great cheesy 80’s flick, by the way] in the best possible 80’s way and shit got fucking destroyed left and right. Dude, I think you’re over-analyzing a movie starring all the great 80’s action icons called “The Expendables”. I’m not really sure what you were expecting?[/quote]

LOL. IN my eyes, the great 80s action movies were the ones like Predator, Terminator, the Rockies, Rambo, Top Gun, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard… but for the most part, they weren’t cheesy, they were cool movies with a lot of ass kicking.

To me, the Expendable was more of what Spaceballs was to Star Wars- a parody. They could have made a tremendous, quality action movie from this, but instead we got something that Vin Diesel should have starred in, something like XXX, instead of something awesome like Predator.

Think of it like this- what scene was there that was subtly badass in this movie? A scene like the scene in Predator when they’re coming in on the helicopters and “Long Tall Sally” is playing, or like in Die Hard when Bruce Willis writes “Now I’ve got a machine gun” on the dead guy in the elevator.

There was nothing that had even that much depth. I’m not asking to watch The Matrix or something, but just a movie that at least acknowledges that living people will be watching it.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Irish, you’re killin’ me!!! I don’t feel like they mailed it in at all. I feel liked they hammed it up and played it exactly the way it was supposed to be played. No one took themselves too seriously, everybody was over the top [another great cheesy 80’s flick, by the way] in the best possible 80’s way and shit got fucking destroyed left and right. Dude, I think you’re over-analyzing a movie starring all the great 80’s action icons called “The Expendables”. I’m not really sure what you were expecting?[/quote]

LOL. IN my eyes, the great 80s action movies were the ones like Predator, Terminator, the Rockies, Rambo, Top Gun, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard… but for the most part, they weren’t cheesy, they were cool movies with a lot of ass kicking.

To me, the Expendable was more of what Spaceballs was to Star Wars- a parody. They could have made a tremendous, quality action movie from this, but instead we got something that Vin Diesel should have starred in, something like XXX, instead of something awesome like Predator.
[/quote]

PLEASE, Please tell me your talking about the Original Predator movie, because everything after that sucked.

Think of it like this- what scene was there that was subtly badass in this movie? A scene like the scene in Predator when they’re coming in on the helicopters and “Long Tall Sally” is playing, or like in Die Hard when Bruce Willis writes “Now I’ve got a machine gun” on the dead guy in the elevator.

There was nothing that had even that much depth. I’m not asking to watch The Matrix or something, but just a movie that at least acknowledges that living people will be watching it.[/quote]

The Entire LAST 30 MIN of that movie was a “LONG TALL SALLY”. Don’t get me wrong. I could with have Written BETTER lines. But that was not what made the movie for me. The whole thing felt like an EVENT.
And I can’t tell you when I’ve had that feeling in the last 5yrs. The fights were epic. And the last Battle made me not want to blink. Sly dropping clips and popping new ones in like a fat kid and M&M’s.

Come on I understand your gripes REALLY I do. But your telling me that there was not 5 min in this movie that you winched up and said HOLLY SH*T OR DAMNNNN!!

Forget FightingIrish. His bread N butter is the Combat forum, not movies.

Four60 and I have never steered you guys in the wrong direction before. Watch the movie.

TWICE! THREE TIMES! FOUR TIMES! FIVE TIMES!

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[/quote]

Dude, Die Hard, Predator, Lethal Weapon, Rambo, those movies were damn good movies that happened to be action flicks. The Expandables was an action flick that was cool because of it’s cheesiness and action. It was exactly what it was supposed to be. It seems like you see what it is but don’t get why. It wasn’t a parody so much, but more of a send-up of all the great action flicks of the 80’s. Also, not this has anything to do with anything but I get told I look like Jason Statham all the time, so in your face everybody!

This awesome thread won’t be tainted by Mr. Haterade and Mr. Irish.

Watch this movie.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

White flash…its about time you made a shot. You’ve been 0 of 5 for the past year.[/quote]

Haha. Dude, this movie was fucking awesome but you cannot have seriously liked Predators. One of the 10 worst movies I’ve ever seen. Easily.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

White flash…its about time you made a shot. You’ve been 0 of 5 for the past year.[/quote]

Haha. Dude, this movie was fucking awesome but you cannot have seriously liked Predators. One of the 10 worst movies I’ve ever seen. Easily.[/quote]

This is why you’re not invited to go places anymore.

Watch The Expendables! Ignore the haters!

Then watch Predators if you got extra time.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

Haha. Dude, this movie was fucking awesome but you cannot have seriously liked Predators. One of the 10 worst movies I’ve ever seen. Easily.[/quote]

Then watch Predators if you got extra time.[/quote]

You cats have another week of debate and then its MACHETE TIME!

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

Then watch Predators if you got extra time.[/quote]

You cats have another week of debate and then its MACHETE TIME!
[/quote]

Fuckin’A.

A movie about a Mexican with a bunch of Knives? And he’s the main character and not the suspect in Law & Order?

Sign me up.