Rubber Guard and Eddie Bravo

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
zecarlo wrote:
But a lot of dominant MMA grapplers start out as wrestlers, who don’t train in the gi.
[/quote]

all the champs in the UFC train at least partly in gi jiu jitsu (i dont think forrest does anymore, but he earned a purple). If you count couture as champ, i dont think he does.

nog, silva, gsp, penn are bjj blackbelts

lyoto machida is a bjj blackbelt

thiago alves is a black belt in bjj

murilo bustamante (gi) clowned an olympian (greco)

sherk trains with the gi

i imagine most of the aka guys play around with the gi.

some people dont like gi trainig, that’s fine. i think mac danzig is strictly no gi, but the evidence points to the people with the best ground games starting with gi training, or wrestlers choosing to add gi training to their arsenal

^great point.

[quote]elliot007 wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
zecarlo wrote:
But a lot of dominant MMA grapplers start out as wrestlers, who don’t train in the gi.

all the champs in the UFC train at least partly in gi jiu jitsu (i dont think forrest does anymore, but he earned a purple). If you count couture as champ, i dont think he does.
[/quote]

Yeah, I do count Couture. And honestly, because I think it’s only a matter of time, Lesnar will probably fall into this category as well.

To the best of my knowledge GSP isn’t a BJJ black belt, he’s a brown belt.

Sherk didn’t start out training with a gi though. He started out as a wrestler. Hughes dominated the welterweight division for years, and again he started out as a wrestler. It wasn’t until later in these fighter’s careers that they may have started training with a gi.

Again, I’m not against training with a gi. But to make blanket statements, like “unless you start training with a gi, you’ll never be as technical as you could be, or as good of a grappler as you could be” just isn’t the case.

Emphasis mine. Exactly what I was saying. You can start out training without a gi and it can take you very far. If you want to have the most rounded game possible, then yeah, perhaps adding in gi training will help you to get there.

gsp was recently given his bb

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
gsp was recently given his bb[/quote]

Then I stand corrected.

[quote]Ianct wrote:
here are my tips for you as a beginner:

1. DONT GET FRUSTRATED. Take your time. In my opinion the learning how to do BJJ starts when you are able to calm down. New people are always VERY tense, and try to muscle up. So take your time and relax.

**2. You are going to get tapped, and tapped A LOT. Its ok to get tapped. It is a good thing. Start off working/focusing on your game from your back, and primarily ESCAPES. Go for submissions, but dont worry if you dont get them, it takes time.

If you develop your escapes and your game from your back early you will not have to worry about them later on. Dont worry about all the latest fads in bjj right now, just work on your game.

1. Realize as you progress, the other in the class (granted they put in the same amount of time as you do or more) will progress as well. So if you have been there for a while and still cant tap a guy who has been there longer, its because you both progressed.

****The best way to tell that you have gotten better is rolling with brand new students. It takes time. BJJ Takes a lot of time. ****

1. Toss on a gi every once and a while. You will learn a lot of advantages and disadvantages about your game, it will help you greatly in the long run.

2. Be open to different ideas/schools check out as many as you can and find the best atmosphere that works for you.

3. ENJOY!!! It becomes insanely addicting!! [/quote]

Good list.

I’ll add one.

1. Get a good solid foundation in the basics. JJ is a lot like weightlifting because the basics pay off and you can build on them.

I would suggest not jumping straight into rubber guard but learn pins, sweeps, passes, POSITION… One of the things about JJ is that the things that aren’t flattering are what will pay off.

Also, a good coach will help you find out what works for you. Listen to your coach and buy one of these:

with the addition of #7, the list is spot on

I’m no expert but here is my take that has been repeated a lot on the net:
#1 If you want to be a good grappler train gi

#2 If you want to train MMA then train no-gi

#3 If you want the best of both worlds see points 1 and 2

#4 As for Eddie Bravo material I own the twister DVD and Rubber guard DVDs and I have to say it is eye opening and useful and will probably change no-gi grappling in some ways. BUT all the hoopla surrounding it reminds me of people talking about Sambo or leg lock submissions as the next big thing.

It all works but at some point you will realize some moves are more high % then others.

#5 I believe the original poster stated that he just started training. If I were you just train and don’t worry about the gi vs no-gi argument. Do both and found out which one you like more.

#6 Don’t worry about the rubber guard yet, work on takedowns skills.

#7 Feel free to blast my remarks.

thanks guys…just being a reader more so than a writer. thanks for all the points and info.

dont even have to thank us dude, throwing these ideas around helps everyone