Rubber Guard and Eddie Bravo

Flexibility & work ethic:

Drills (cognitive response really):

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Xen Nova wrote: Anyway, even eddie says though that you need that older shit…

Right. Pisses me off when people 1) think rubber guard is all eddie says you need, or 2) think grabbing your fucking ankle is rubber guard.

[/quote]

Rubber guard theory for those that don’t know:

http://www.submissions101.com/eddiebravo21.htm

If Eddie Bravo’s 10th planet jiu jitsu is the latest and greatest, than why did Leo Vieira tool him so easily? It is not the only jiu jitsu out there that works.

You’re correct, tapping a Gracie and earning your blackbelt is no big deal. The 10th planet system is non-practical and will never catch on.

I’m more interested in his theory than anything else he has a very unique perspective and the reasoning is sound. He’s competed at the highest level yet he’s NOT a natural athlete.

He’s actually stated that he never had what it takes to win ADCC, he’s not a natural athlete, and has a horrible work ethic (wouldn’t do much of any training outside of just rolling). Yet he was able to accomplish a LOT more than I have (or You :slight_smile: )

Innovation doesn’t necessarily have to come from the best or most accomplished. It just requires someone willing to open their mind to new possibilities that is unhindered by previous affiliations (hate to say this but most Brazilian’s just can’t get away from the gi).

Regardless whether or not you dislike him you can’t deny:

• The no-gi game requires tighter movements with less space to control your opponent

• You have to utilize under/over hooks as opposed to grabbing sleeves

• MMA grappling is VASTLY different than sport grappling.

• Drilling, “getting in your reps” is one of the most important things you can accomplish

• Mobility (flexibility) is probably the most important aspect of athletic preparation and this is especially true for grappling

BTW getting tool’d by Leo Vieira isn’t necessarily a horrible thing. That’s like saying Kobe Bryant beat Luke walton at 1 on 1… And also, GSP got KTFO by Matt Serra lol. Anything’s possible.

Well, anything’s possible and Eddie tapped out Royler. I actually like Eddie Bravo, but I don’t think his system is anything new or different than they have been doing in Brazil for years.

Thats a really old argument against his system that people have been using for YEARS now. It’s been debunked time and time again. I wouldn’t toss the whole system out but if Bravo contradicted himself at anytime I’d be pointing that bullshit out all the time as a disclaimer even if i endorsed his system … but he hasn’t.

Besides, define “new” or “different”, an armbar is an armbar, is an armbar…it all looks the same till you catch the nuance of whoever’s teaching it.

It IS something different. That’s pretty obvious if yo take long enough to examine the system. But Brazilians (mostly in no gi obviously) have been playing “high guard” for a LONG time. It relied on having your legs high and clinching down on your opponents head thai clinch style while searching for stuff and mainly stopped them from striking.

Nino Schembri would also even get into a rubber guard of sorts… except he doesn’t hug the knee, and he uses an over grip instead of under at the ankle. Eddie’s explained over and over again why he doesn’t do that. Hell he’s also NEVER said that he wasn’t influenced by Schembri.

Eddie has said plainly that he came up with his system through an examination of how people fought no-gi successfully, things he saw that were high percentage, tried shit himself, and then just kept making tweaks from there. So we’re still in keeping with what he’s said.

And again, it’s all in the theory. If you watch him roll, a lot of the positions aren’t “New”.

Jiu-Claw is just omaplata with a tweak or two. The spiderweb is nothing, white belts end up in that position. Crackhead control is just old school high guard with a few tweaks… etc

But it’s HOW he gets there, HOW he utilizes it, HOW he intends to flow to other sub’s and positions from there… it’s the subtle tweaks he uses that

The half guard is an obvious position but his subtle tweak with the “lockdown” is complete opposite of what I’ve seen anyone else do. And even if someone else does it, they probably don’t have a whole game plan revolving around sweeps, setups and submissions that flow perfectly into one another like Bravo does.

Hell twister side control looks like he’s just sitting out, but it’s far different and the mindset behind it is unique.

It’s the implementation that makes a lot of this shit unique. there’s plenty that LOOKS similar to stuff we’ve seen before but it’s not. Then there is stuff that is completely unique. But regardless it’s how it’s utilized that makes the difference.

A screw driver seems like it has an obvious purpose in your tool box till you use it to punch holes in peoples tire’s or something.

Of course, just like anything in jiu jitsu, if you practice it and get good and it, have a complete arsenal and an answer to every position, then it will work.

sooooooooo… you agree with me? lol

[quote]titopuente wrote:
Well, anything’s possible and Eddie tapped out Royler. I actually like Eddie Bravo, but I don’t think his system is anything new or different than they have been doing in Brazil for years. [/quote]

Who? And please link to YouTube videos/comp footage, etc.

Thanks.

“Go ahead… I’ll wait.”

-Kat Williams.

You know what I love about YouTube and the Internet in general? People can’t just make shit up. “Oh, guys have been doing this shit for years.” Well then… That shit would be on the Internet. Just post a video and prove it.

“Oh, I can dead lift 800 pounds.” Cool. Upload that shit to YouTube.

People still talk out of their asses though, making worthless and unsubstantiated claims. I’m not sure why people let them get away with it. There’s really no excuse for letting people get away with bullshit, since proof for one’s claims should be so super easy to provide.

admittedly i have a video of nino schembri that i downloaded years ago now… he uses a high guard and has his arm up there, but it’s not mission control (which i just ONE position in “rubber guard” anyway) which basically got debunked once people really started learning what rubber guard REALLY is (especially after the books/dvd’s came out).

i dunno how that “it’s nothing new” stuff gets perpetuated but regardless, I don’t care if he straight up stole the shit from Helio’s long lost notebook… it works.

I never said that it does not work.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

IMO and I don’t just say this lightly… 10th planetJJ is what Brazilian jiujitsu was to judo all those years ago after count koma taught the gracie brothers and they developed it on their own.

Give it 5-10 years, you’re going to get smoked if you don’t know how to avoid rubberguard, or see the electric chair coming.

[/quote]

You get smoked right now if you don’t know how to defend those things.

here are my tips for you as a beginner:

1. DONT GET FRUSTRATED. Take your time. In my opinion the learning how to do BJJ starts when you are able to calm down. New people are always VERY tense, and try to muscle up. So take your time and relax.

**2. You are going to get tapped, and tapped A LOT. Its ok to get tapped. It is a good thing. Start off working/focusing on your game from your back, and primarily ESCAPES. Go for submissions, but dont worry if you dont get them, it takes time. If you develop your escapes and your game from your back early you will not have to worry about them later on. Dont worry about all the latest fads in bjj right now, just work on your game.

1. Realize as you progress, the other in the class (granted they put in the same amount of time as you do or more) will progress as well. So if you have been there for a while and still cant tap a guy who has been there longer, its because you both progressed.
    ****The best way to tell that you have gotten better is rolling with brand new students. It takes time. BJJ Takes a lot of time. ****

2. Toss on a gi every once and a while. You will learn a lot of advantages and disadvantages about your game, it will help you greatly in the long run.

3. Be open to different ideas/schools check out as many as you can and find the best atmosphere that works for you.

4. ENJOY!!! It becomes insanely addicting!!

right. I have no idea about jiu-jitsu or any of that fancy mumbo-jumbo

I am a humble wrestler, and form my experience, the McDavid hex pads are the way to go. Seriously. They are as flexible as your knee is, and still provide very good protection. You really want to spend the extra money here, because cheap $5 pads bought at the local sporting goods store will crack right in half. Do some homework on pads

Something to consider about no-gi vs gi is that the best at no-gi just happen to be gi first guys. Is it coincidence? I doubt it. Training with the gi develops a more refined technique.

The Rubber Guard is just another tool. It’s not magic.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
Something to consider about no-gi vs gi is that the best at no-gi just happen to be gi first guys. Is it coincidence? I doubt it. Training with the gi develops a more refined technique.

The Rubber Guard is just another tool. It’s not magic. [/quote]

Again though it somewhat depends on the context. The best no-gi submission guys often times train in the gi. But a lot of dominant MMA grapplers start out as wrestlers, who don’t train in the gi.

It comes down to your goals.