New Muscle Pump Coaching

I’m excited to get started tomorrow.

My biggest challenge will be exercise substitutions.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a free weight alternative to leg extensions? Weighted step-ups? Lunges?

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this.

Sissy squats, but they sure aren’t for sissies.

1 Like

She needs Surge Workout Fuel. Tell her to create a log and well count her in.

2 Likes

Unless gymnasts aren’t of the human species, I don’t understand.

Don’t overthink it and point your toes.

I agree. You can substitute sissy squats for leg extensions.

In the Thighs Block description page. The “Pump” indicates toe position as “Toes Out” on the first set and then “Toes In” on the third set. There is no mention of whether the toes are pointed up or down, and they are capable of either position and every angle between.

It is my guess that “Toes Out” moves the primary flexation of the Vastus medialis and “Toes In” moves the primary flexation of the vastus lateralis. All positions involve the Rectus femoris.

Then there is no mention of toe position in either the “Stimulate” or “Flutter”. My guess is that it doesn’t matter, but probably neutral.

We were looking at this more from the perspective of girls that like to over-emphasize leg/booty goals without neglecting upper body. This being the case, the plan was moreso for her to just modify the training/exercise selection to meet more “fit chick” goals.

If this is still acceptable to you and Dr. Ellington, I can speak with her about creating a log. By extension of this, would she receive the same shipment of Surge Challenge supplies?

This strategy will work well for her. It’ll be fun dialing in the fit-chick details. We have the experience.

And yes, she’ll get the same Surge Challenge kit as you did.

2 Likes

FLAVOR POLL

Which Surge Workout Fuel flavor do you like the best so far?
  • Wild Berry
  • Lemon Drop

0 voters

Definitely. You can make slightly lighter weights work effectively, but if you go too heavy you’re out of luck. No way around it.

I don’t think I could do it his quickly. I need some general warming up (agile 8, light calisthenics), a couple of warm ups sets for the bigger body parts, and the logistics of securing stations or at least setting things up. I took about 50 minutes all told in a pretty empty gym, which included the lifting and warm ups. Probably the second time through I could do it quicker, having a better idea of the weights and logistics required.

First workout in the books, posted on my log.

Some notes:
Surge is tasty. I used the Berry for both the pre- and intra-workout drinks. I’m picky on these things, and I appreciate it has no fake taste or artificial crap. Looking forward to the pre-bedtime drink.

The workout is more challenging than it looks on paper. Pretty fun, though, and a nice change from my typical workouts. I’ll note that it took me about 50 minutes. I warm up for 10 minutes or so, then need to secure stations. The need to secure stations and set up for each new block takes about 5 minutes. This may be challenging if you work out in a busy gym. It’s also often impossible to keep the rests to 10s, because it may mean getting yourself across the gym. For me, the leg press is in a different section of the gym than the curls/extensions.

My weight selection seemed appropriate. Challenging for sure, but not to the point of failure. This workout is more like an accumulation of effort/ fatigue rather than hitting a top set of 5 or an AMRAP set.

I may need to get some of these workouts done at home, where I’ll have to substitute machines for other moves.

1 Like

I’m going to have to open Wild Berry tomorrow. I can’t imagine anything better than Lemon Drop though.

3 Likes

Tongue in cheek questions:

1. Is it cool if I start my first steroid cycle a few days in?

2. What do we do if the squat rack isn’t open for curls?

3. Can I just take the Surge before Zumba
    class and report back?

4. Thighs, calves, legs: I’m assuming I can just skip this section?

5. I keep a strict 5 grams or less of protein per day. I should continue that I’m assuming? Don’t worry the 5 grams is soy.

Jokes aside I’m really looking forward to starting! Should be Thursday.

2 Likes

@Tim_Patterson My wife has created an account and has a post pending in #training-logs - her handle is @Shaina_Madel.

2 Likes

She’s in, and thank you for encouraging her to do it.

3 Likes

My triceps and lats haven’t been sore like they are today in forever, and it goes beyond Typical soreness… my muscles still feel pumped. I’m really excited about tomorrow’s workout!

1 Like

Just had Lemon Drop after having Wild Berry earlier. Both are actually very good. I expected to prefer the lemon, but would give the berry the slight edge. I’d rank them close enough that either one will do.

3 Likes

Lats and tri’s sore today… I was finishing up the 30/10/30 metabolic challenges which I loved, before jumping into this challenge. Will the surge challenge protocol replace the 30/10/30 workouts, or will it be another tool to use and cycle through between the two?

1 Like

Thanks for the great feedback!

I just posted the same thing. I’m also magically up 13lbs today. I weighed myself 4 times to confirm it. Explains why everything feels really full today. Glad pull-ups aren’t called for in the workouts. Doubt I could get 5 with the added weight.