Motorcycles - Post Your Ride

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Please. Bike love does not depend on whether you built her.

It depends on whether you can control her.[/quote]

build one with your hands then tell me you are not more connected to it than anything you have ever ridden. if you still feel the same way i would gladly eat my words

[quote]morepain wrote:

build one with your hands then tell me you are not more connected to it than anything you have ever ridden. if you still feel the same way i would gladly eat my words[/quote]

I understand what you mean. However, what I meant is that anyone who really considers themselves a rider probably loves their bike like cowboys used to depend on horses. It almost has a character…and no two ride exactly the same.

I have no doubt that building own would create a strong connection.

I am just saying I am betting most here feel some connection as well regardless.

[quote]morepain wrote:

build one with your hands then tell me you are not more connected to it than anything you have ever ridden. if you still feel the same way i would gladly eat my words[/quote]

I understand what you mean. However, what I meant is that anyone who really considers themselves a rider probably loves their bike like cowboys used to depend on horses. It almost has a character…and no two ride exactly the same.

I am just saying I am betting most here feel some connection as well regardless.[/quote]

I will take it a step farther and say that the money you spend on your bike and the accessories you put into it makes another connection.

My mechanical skills suck balls, so if I build it I would probably die horribly on it. I will leave that to the experts. :slight_smile:

[quote]morepain wrote:

I agree with you to a point morepain. I’ve owned my 1150 since 89’ and have washed it and polished it for countless hours to keep the stock parts as close to perfect as possible. Too many good memories to list. I’ve always said to my wife the only way I could be more in tune with this baby is if I tore it down and built it back up myself. Not gonna happen, even if I had the bread I don’t have the ability or patience and I know it lol.

As a matter of fact it’s sick right now, either the cam chain tensioner or the crank shaft itself. One is minor surgery the other is major.

[quote]morepain wrote:

I am just saying I am betting most here feel some connection as well regardless.[/quote]

Each of the four bikes I’ve owned over the years sure have.

The GS550 was the most important to me. I damn near killed myself in a shit hole factory job to save the money up to buy a brand new machine for the first time. I actually went to bed each night staring at the picture of it I got from the dealership. I waited all fucking winter to have it shipped here and built.

There is no feeling in the world like walking into a dealership and seeing the “do not sit on bike sold” sign on not just any showroom bike but YOUR bike lol.

I eventually sold it to a buddy and he ruined it:(

[quote]morepain wrote:
in progress, started this one in january, its about ready for teardown for prep and paint. My softail is in my avatar. my next project is a 1973 triumph trident restoration that i inherited from my father when he passed this year. [/quote]

nice

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
The BatCave[/quote]

Nice.

Lou, what kind of bikes are those? Been flirting with getting a bike for years now. I think next spring I’m going to do it.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]morepain wrote:

I will take it a step farther and say that the money you spend on your bike and the accessories you put into it makes another connection.

My mechanical skills suck balls, so if I build it I would probably die horribly on it. I will leave that to the experts. :)[/quote]

Agreed. This was my second bike…but I know what it is capable of…which is pretty amazing to me. It’s a 2006, but I doubt most people would see it as being much older than one year old just looking at it. I try to keep it up. It stays in the garage…mostly because my first bike started rusting outside with the cover on it because I lived on the beach.

No motorcycle rider treats their bike like it’s just a dead machine.

Your life depends on you knowing it inside and out.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
The BatCave[/quote]

Nice.

Lou, what kind of bikes are those? Been flirting with getting a bike for years now. I think next spring I’m going to do it. [/quote]

BG even if you have ridden in the past, take the riders course either Riders Edge HD or some other. I went 20 years between bikes.

1. it helps bring back muscle memory
  2. you can go test some bikes out

I discovered that the bike that I really wanted by vision was not the same when I got on it. Just my .02

Not mine but exact picture. 2007 Honda VFR800 interceptor. Its a VTEC which i have come to really like. Its currently all stock. Once i start working full time again I will 1) buy a fender eliminator, its ugly as shit 2) get the rims powder coated white, sounds bad but it looks real nice and i know a guy who does it so it should only be a couple hundo. Its the 25th anniversary edition with the red white and blue color scheme. First bike, will keep for-ev-er!!!

My one gripe is that both exhausts run right under the seat which causes it to get really hot, I think theres something wrong since it gets hot to the point of hurting, the shop couldnt find anything. next time it happens they said to bring it over hot and theyll take it out they just cant ride it for an hour until it gets hot. Worst case, new seat and theyll put some foam underneath to keep the heat down so to speak.

BG i agree with DJ about taking the MSC. For me it was a learning experience, even if it isnt for you, you get a discount on insurance with proof of the class which is always a bonus, more money in your pocket!!

What do you guys pay for insurance yearly and who do you use?
Progressive, somewhere around $600 give or take, paid in 6 months, 12 month coverage.

^wheres my pic?!?!

Riders, which was like $100 or so for the year iirc?

[quote]gregron wrote:

Love the Ducati Monster. I don’t know what my next one will be…but that one is in the top 5.[/quote]

It’s a pretty bad ass bike IMO… Very "cafe racer"esque. I like that style a lot[/quote]

A friend of mine just got the ducati diavel… fucking awesome.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Love the Ducati Monster. I don’t know what my next one will be…but that one is in the top 5.[/quote]

It’s a pretty bad ass bike IMO… Very "cafe racer"esque. I like that style a lot[/quote]

A friend of mine just got the ducati diavel… fucking awesome. [/quote]

I’ve never seen the bike in person, but I’m just not feeling it from the pics.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
The BatCave[/quote]

Nice.

Lou, what kind of bikes are those? Been flirting with getting a bike for years now. I think next spring I’m going to do it. [/quote]

BG even if you have ridden in the past, take the riders course either Riders Edge HD or some other. I went 20 years between bikes.

I discovered that the bike that I really wanted by vision was not the same when I got on it. Just my .02[/quote]

thanks man. any advice is much appreciated. i’m torn between a sport bike and a harley. i’m just not a chrome guy so if harley, i’m looking for something black, like that night train or whatever it was. after being “counseled” on the matter for some time now, i’m leaning to harley. the way i drive and the way i ride my quad, i’m probably not a good guy for a sport bike - i’d be that dude doing wheelies down the highway x of a 100mph. i just don’t trust myself.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
The BatCave[/quote]

Nice.

I discovered that the bike that I really wanted by vision was not the same when I got on it. Just my .02[/quote]

thanks man. any advice is much appreciated. i’m torn between a sport bike and a harley. i’m just not a chrome guy so if harley, i’m looking for something black, like that night train or whatever it was. after being “counseled” on the matter for some time now, i’m leaning to harley. the way i drive and the way i ride my quad, i’m probably not a good guy for a sport bike - i’d be that dude doing wheelies down the highway x of a 100mph. i just don’t trust myself.
[/quote]

Yes sir, I love to cruise.

HD has a lot of black bikes now, Chrome is old school and like you I do not like. I am trying to get rid of all my chrome.

Pic is a Harley FatBoy 2010.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
The BatCave[/quote]

Nice.

[/quote]

Little of both BG , I love this look.

I really like the flat black color on a harley, it looks so clean/fresh

[quote]fighting_fires wrote:
I really like the flat black color on a harley, it looks so clean/fresh [/quote]

Plus it hides the oil leaks. . .

@BG
Definately take the rider course unless you have years of continuous (sp) experience.

Sportbike was an Yamaha R6 -too small for me and sold it last month. Gotta pay for upgrades to the batmobile and I don’t have Bruce Wayne dough.

Cruiser is a Honda VT 1100. In all I’ve had 3 bikes (GXSR 750) and I like the cruiser the most. I’m not a speed guy and the comfort is what its all about for me.

I’m definately ready to upgrade and I’m thinking next spring I need to get a new toy. Won’t be a Harley though. No offense to HD guys but it just seems like I’m paying extra for the name so I can tell people “yeah, its a HD” when I don’t really care.