Mayweather - Pacquiao!

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Before Muhammud Ali, they fought who they were told to fight.

Look up Frankie Carbo.

Men were fighting, but the mob ran EVERYTHING.[/quote]

That what I had said, I would extend that period of time to the early 80’s in the Hagler/Leaonard/Hearns era. When boxing started to become prime time PPV is when it really started. I used to watch all those fights live on antenna TV lol. That last part about the mob might be the only thing we’ll ever agree on.

1. Mayweather is “the shitz.”

2. You gotta read more about Ali. People thought he was raving madman before the Sonny Liston fight. It wasn’t until later that people realized that it was something of an act. But still, the purpose was to get under the other man’s skin, and Ali ALWAYS did that.

3. You should read more about the history of boxing. Fighters fight, and oftentimes they’re just as brutal and hard to get along with outside the ring.

Sonny Liston was WAY, WAY rougher than Floyd Mayweather, who people kind of roll their eyes at. Liston was a really bad man. Tyson as well. Also Foreman.

I don’t know where you’re getting this rosy view of boxing history from. [/quote]

1. IMO one more fight will prove that, that’s up to him. Hopefully Pac (if he wins) gets the chance. If Pac should duck the fight, then yes I’d agree he’s the shitz.

2. I’ve read my share, watched my share, even remember watching Ali get demo’d by Larry Holmes as a kid on live TV with my dad. lulz

3. Funny I was about to say the same to you lulz, I’m probably wrong, but from what you’ve said (or lack of) about Ali/Frazier/Foreman era, I just assumed that you watched an A&E Biography on Ali or sumptin’.

I don’t think that is a stretch in thinking that boxers would be hard to get along with. Any combat sport has an element of egotistical macho BS between the fighters, well until they are brain dead and retired, then they are best friends.

I am not sure what the requirements for being dubbed “the shitz” are, but Mayweather could drop his next 3 fights and still be the remembered as the best boxer of this generation.

My take is that Pac has more to fear from Mayweather than vice versa. Floyd has the size and skill advantage. I also think he has the chin to make getting rocked/hurt and crumbling far less likely than Pac would like.

I will also state that Mayweather has much, much more to lose. He is undefeated. More than that he is the “bad guy”. That means a lot of the PPV buys are filling his pockets hoping to see him lose. There would be far lest interest from his “haters” in seing him drop a second fight. Pac on the other hand would be less diminished, market wise, as long as he fought “brave”.

I think there are tons of reasons to root for Pac against Mayweather, and precious few reasons to pick him to win. As it stands now I just want to see the fight. After 2-3 episodes of 24/7 I will probably be in the Pac camp just because of the BS Floyd will do to hype the fight. So I get it. I understand why people want to say he is scared/fake/a poser. I just cannot agree.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]B.L.U. Ninja wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Some of the shit posted in Pacquio’s defense is ridiculous. Taking a blood test doesn’t make one weaker for an entire week. I’ve taken several and was back to normal after a night of sleep. And, if Pac’s got nothing to hide, why not do it? I’m sure Mayweather would have no problem taking the same tests. It’s pretty obvious the Pacquio is juicing, and anyone who argues this doesn’t understand how the body works. You don’t magically gain the physical advantages that Pac has over the years.That’s not to say that Mayweather hasn’t touched the sauce, 'cause it wouldn’t surprise at all if he is/was. Most (if not all) at the highest level are on something, and to think otherwise is simply naive.[/quote]

So, you can gain muscle as a natural bodybuilder but not as a boxer?

Like I said, Pac only RECENTLY enlisted Ariza’s help for his strength and conditioning. You’re telling me, a 110lb 16 year old CAN NOT put on muscle mass as he fills out his frame AND with proper strength and conditioning which he previously have NOT used/done?

A regular skinny person can put on 20+lbs of muscle in 10 years but somehow Pac can’t without juicing?

Why can’t people accept the fact that Mayweather is running from PAC? Ali never ducked a fight, neither did Frazier, Tyson and certainly not Pacquiao.

Again, this guy has the nerve to defame someone’s legacy because he’s scared of the guy. Who is this guy to say, “oh he’s too good, he must be juicing.” Get the fuck outta here man.

Like Pac says after every fight, A fighter’s job is to fight. The Athletic Commission’s job is to test fighters, and have caught quite a few. The promoter sets up fights and the trainer gets the fighters ready.

This guy needs to stop running. Even Daniel Tosh’s gay ass took a punch from Pacquiao.[/quote]

Every time someone says Floyd is “scared” of Pac, I laugh.

132 fights.

126 victories.

Wins over Jose Luis Castillo (twice) and total demolitions of Chico Corrales, DeMarcus Corley, Emmanuel Augustus, Zab Judah, Carlos Baldomir, Arturo Gatti, Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, Juan Manuel Marquez, Victor Ortiz, Shane Mosley.

Scared of Pacquaio?

C’monnnnnnnnnn.

How about, three years ago he woulda got 25 million for this fight. Now, its 60 million guaranteed.

The word is “smart,” not “scared.”[/quote]

Anyone of those fighters have the hype and mythical appeal that Pac has? I don’t think so.

I understand the politics of boxing, and yes, some people are looking it the way you do, Mayweather is squeezing as much money as he can out of this, but doesn’t a part of you suspect that this guy is actually scared?

Look, Mayweather is a great fighter, but the way he’s handled this situation reeks of pussy-itis.

But, does anyone in here seriously believes Pac is juicing? I stated my case, what do you think?

There’s no way of knowing for sure, unless Mr. Prima Donna Mayweather gets his wish, but do you guys genuinely believe there’s even a reason to doubt this humble man?

But, does anyone in here seriously believes Pac is juicing? I stated my case, what do you think?

There’s no way of knowing for sure, unless Mr. Prima Donna Mayweather gets his wish, but do you guys genuinely believe there’s even a reason to doubt this humble man?[/quote]

Absolutely. Humble, what the fuck? Humble don’t mean shit to me. Shane Mosley is humble as they come, and he did steroids.

This is BOXING. This is millions of dollars on the table, this is fame, wealth, political power, everything, that rests on those two fists of his. And there’s also the prospect of being physically beat down every time he steps in the ring.

Humble. Humble don’t mean shit. I don’t know if Pac is juicing or not, but he’s just as likely to be juicing as any other professional athlete is, and how affable he is in person is probably the WORST guideline to possibly use.

There’s no way of knowing for sure, unless Mr. Prima Donna Mayweather gets his wish, but do you guys genuinely believe there’s even a reason to doubt this humble man?[/quote]

Absolutely. Humble, what the fuck? Humble don’t mean shit to me. Shane Mosley is humble as they come, and he did steroids.

This is BOXING. This is millions of dollars on the table, this is fame, wealth, political power, everything, that rests on those two fists of his. And there’s also the prospect of being physically beat down every time he steps in the ring.

Humble. Humble don’t mean shit. I don’t know if Pac is juicing or not, but he’s just as likely to be juicing as any other professional athlete is, and how affable he is in person is probably the WORST guideline to possibly use. [/quote]

Luckily the guideline is that Mayweather = Bad therefore anyone in opposition to him stands on the side of angels.

Hell, look at all the righteous gnashing of teeth about how Mayweather dispatched Ortiz. After all, it’s not like Ortiz was known to hit during brakes or had a history of fouling that ran through his career up to and including the brake to take away a point for a flying head butt. Oh, wait…I might have that wrong.

Regards,

Robert A

Anyone of those fighters have the hype and mythical appeal that Pac has? I don’t think so.

I understand the politics of boxing, and yes, some people are looking it the way you do, Mayweather is squeezing as much money as he can out of this, but doesn’t a part of you suspect that this guy is actually scared?

Look, Mayweather is a great fighter, but the way he’s handled this situation reeks of pussy-itis.[/quote]

LOL mythical appeal? Oh man, that kool aid must taste good.

But, for a second, I’ll suspend my incredulousness at what you just said and say that an undefeated, brutal puncher like Chico Corrales had every bit the “hype and mystique.”

I’d say a ring legend like Oscar De La Hoya had every bit the “hype and mystique” of Manny Pacquiao, and I’d DEFINITELY say that Shane Mosley had every bit of it as well - guy was, at one time, a 38-0 lightweight with 35 knockouts, and came into the Floyd fight after utterly killing Margarito.

Hell, Ricky Hatton came in at 45-0, having retired the legendary Kostya Tszyu and kayoing Castillo with the most devastating body shot I’ve ever seen a few months before with more hype than I’ve seen in years.

The fact is, EVERYONE has the hype and mystique - until Floyd whips their ass. Then they were too small, too light, too slow, too old, too heavy, too shot, too out of shape, too inexperienced, too WHATEVER.

And I’m telling you guys, styles make fights, and Pacquaio is tailor made for Floyd. Will he give him problems? Yup, especially during the first few rounds.

But around Round 7, Floyd will do what he always has done - make adjustments, start landing the lead 2 and 2-3-2 with frightening regularity, and make Pac not want to come in anymore. Then they will stay at his range, and he will win.

It might be a boring fight, he may get on his bike a couple times during it, and he won’t get credit for it after he wins. But he’s faster than Pac, his reach is longer, and the one weapon that works EVERY TIME against a southpaw - the straight right hand - is the punch he has perfected.

So do I think he’s scared? No. I think he doesn’t want to get bullied by Freddie fucking catchweight Roach into fighting at a catchweight he doesn’t want, with gloves that he doesn’t want, in a ring that’s not the size he wants, and under conditions that make him uncomfortable. Why? Because Pac’s still a special fighter, and he’s going to have to have every advantage lined up, and his head on perfectly straight, to win.

It’s called “Stacking the deck.” It’s called “being smart.”

End rant.

Humble. Humble don’t mean shit. I don’t know if Pac is juicing or not, but he’s just as likely to be juicing as any other professional athlete is, and how affable he is in person is probably the WORST guideline to possibly use. [/quote]

You believe Marquez won both fights, I get that, and you’re bitter, but there are better choice of words. FWIW, I believe Marquez won the first one, but lost the second on the account of that knockdown.

And you’re right, humility don’t mean shit in a sport where there probably more crooks than any sport. I think what you’re trying to say is that every other fighter/great athlete in the world is or probably juicing. You’re inclined to believe that, but that is just wrong IMO. You also said, you wouldn’t be surprised if we found out Mayweather tested positive for steroids. Interesting, and very much understandable, yet still something I wouldn’t consider…yet

What I’m saying is, I believe the Commission does a decent job, and as long as there hasn’t been a single shred of evidence, there’s no reason to be skeptical mainly because this kind of shit ruins reputations.

I would not have had any problem with Mayweather ducking this fight or even stalling for more money if he didn’t claim that Pac was juicing. That is so fucking disrespectful not only to a great fighter but to the sport as well. That is what many people have a problem with. Is Pacquiao better than Mayweather? I personally think so, but that’s not even what why people have a beef with Mayweather. The way he handles himself and his disrespectful remarks is why people are calling him out.

Look, Mayweather is a great fighter, but the way he’s handled this situation reeks of pussy-itis.[/quote]

LOL mythical appeal? Oh man, that kool aid must taste good.

But, for a second, I’ll suspend my incredulousness at what you just said and say that an undefeated, brutal puncher like Chico Corrales had every bit the “hype and mystique.”

I’d say a ring legend like Oscar De La Hoya had every bit the “hype and mystique” of Manny Pacquiao, and I’d DEFINITELY say that Shane Mosley had every bit of it as well - guy was, at one time, a 38-0 lightweight with 35 knockouts, and came into the Floyd fight after utterly killing Margarito.

Hell, Ricky Hatton came in at 45-0, having retired the legendary Kostya Tszyu and kayoing Castillo with the most devastating body shot I’ve ever seen a few months before with more hype than I’ve seen in years.

The fact is, EVERYONE has the hype and mystique - until Floyd whips their ass. Then they were too small, too light, too slow, too old, too heavy, too shot, too out of shape, too inexperienced, too WHATEVER.

And I’m telling you guys, styles make fights, and Pacquaio is tailor made for Floyd. Will he give him problems? Yup, especially during the first few rounds.

But around Round 7, Floyd will do what he always has done - make adjustments, start landing the lead 2 and 2-3-2 with frightening regularity, and make Pac not want to come in anymore. Then they will stay at his range, and he will win.

It might be a boring fight, he may get on his bike a couple times during it, and he won’t get credit for it after he wins. But he’s faster than Pac, his reach is longer, and the one weapon that works EVERY TIME against a southpaw - the straight right hand - is the punch he has perfected.

So do I think he’s scared? No. I think he doesn’t want to get bullied by Freddie fucking catchweight Roach into fighting at a catchweight he doesn’t want, with gloves that he doesn’t want, in a ring that’s not the size he wants, and under conditions that make him uncomfortable. Why? Because Pac’s still a special fighter, and he’s going to have to have every advantage lined up, and his head on perfectly straight, to win.

It’s called “Stacking the deck.” It’s called “being smart.”

End rant.[/quote]

So, those guys are 8 division champs, being compared to Jack Dempsey and hyped up as possibly one of the top 3 fighters of all time?

Is Mayweather a great fighter? No one questions that, but has Pacquiao ever tried to do anything NOT to make this fight happen? Hell no. He wants to fight. But who’s not showing up? There comes a time when someone has to shut the fuck up and face the music. Only one guy’s been doing the talking. Blah blah blah he’s way too good, so he must be on steroids… Child please. Get in the ring.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Some of the shit posted in Pacquio’s defense is ridiculous. Taking a blood test doesn’t make one weaker for an entire week. I’ve taken several and was back to normal after a night of sleep. And, if Pac’s got nothing to hide, why not do it? I’m sure Mayweather would have no problem taking the same tests. It’s pretty obvious the Pacquio is juicing, and anyone who argues this doesn’t understand how the body works. You don’t magically gain the physical advantages that Pac has over the years.That’s not to say that Mayweather hasn’t touched the sauce, 'cause it wouldn’t surprise at all if he is/was. Most (if not all) at the highest level are on something, and to think otherwise is simply naive.[/quote]

So, you can gain muscle as a natural bodybuilder but not as a boxer?

Like I said, Pac only RECENTLY enlisted Ariza’s help for his strength and conditioning. You’re telling me, a 110lb 16 year old CAN NOT put on muscle mass as he fills out his frame AND with proper strength and conditioning which he previously have NOT used/done?

A regular skinny person can put on 20+lbs of muscle in 10 years but somehow Pac can’t without juicing?

Why can’t people accept the fact that Mayweather is running from PAC? Ali never ducked a fight, neither did Frazier, Tyson and certainly not Pacquiao.

Again, this guy has the nerve to defame someone’s legacy because he’s scared of the guy. Who is this guy to say, “oh he’s too good, he must be juicing.” Get the fuck outta here man.

Like Pac says after every fight, A fighter’s job is to fight. The Athletic Commission’s job is to test fighters, and have caught quite a few. The promoter sets up fights and the trainer gets the fighters ready.

This guy needs to stop running. Even Daniel Tosh’s gay ass took a punch from Pacquiao.[/quote]

Every time someone says Floyd is “scared” of Pac, I laugh.

132 fights.

126 victories.

Wins over Jose Luis Castillo (twice) and total demolitions of Chico Corrales, DeMarcus Corley, Emmanuel Augustus, Zab Judah, Carlos Baldomir, Arturo Gatti, Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, Juan Manuel Marquez, Victor Ortiz, Shane Mosley.

Scared of Pacquaio?

C’monnnnnnnnnn.

How about, three years ago he woulda got 25 million for this fight. Now, its 60 million guaranteed.

The word is “smart,” not “scared.”[/quote]

I would say there was plenty of hype and mythical appeal attached to both De la Hoya and Gatti before they got in the ring with Mayweather. De la Hoya kept the hype going well into his fight prep for Pac. Gatti was still anointed Warrior Spirit Made Flesh from his three fight series with Ward. Now, I do not think any of them posed the threat Pac does, but they were certainly in the major league of hype/myth.

Also, Floyd has a lot on the line and Pac is a legit threat, so he should be scared enough to train and he WILL have to be paid enough to risk his marketability and what he sees as his legacy. I cannot describe any of this as “pussy-itis”. Of his many character flaws I might attribute to him lack of courage/“balls” is not on the list.

Regards,

Robert A

You believe Marquez won both fights, I get that, and you’re bitter, but there are better choice of words. FWIW, I believe Marquez won the first one, but lost the second on the account of that knockdown.
[/quote]

I’m not bitter. I wasn’t in the ring that night, it makes no difference to me. I’m just callin it as I see it.

[quote]
And you’re right, humility don’t mean shit in a sport where there probably more crooks than any sport. I think what you’re trying to say is that every other fighter/great athlete in the world is or probably juicing. You’re inclined to believe that, but that is just wrong IMO. You also said, you wouldn’t be surprised if we found out Mayweather tested positive for steroids. Interesting, and very much understandable, yet still something I wouldn’t consider…yet

What I’m saying is, I believe the Commission does a decent job, and as long as there hasn’t been a single shred of evidence, there’s no reason to be skeptical mainly because this kind of shit ruins reputations.

I would not have had any problem with Mayweather ducking this fight or even stalling for more money if he didn’t claim that Pac was juicing. That is so fucking disrespectful not only to a great fighter but to the sport as well. That is what many people have a problem with. Is Pacquiao better than Mayweather? I personally think so, but that’s not even what why people have a beef with Mayweather. The way he handles himself and his disrespectful remarks is why people are calling him out.[/quote]

Who cares if you think it’s disrespectful? You won’t be in the ring that night, will you?

What it does is start trouble. It gets Manny and Freddie pissed off, angry, and upset, and gives Mayweather the initiative mentally.

Angry people make mistakes. They agree to weights they don’t want and gloves they don’t want and a bigger ring and blood tests and all sorts of other shit, effectively shooting themselves in the foot, just because they want to kick your ass and don’t want barriers in the way.

It’s setting them up to fail - just like Pac’s team has with fighters like Cotto - before the fight even starts.

It’s ingenious is what it is.

“Know the enemy, know yourself; your victory will never be endangered. Know the ground, know the weather; your victory will then be total” - Sun Tzu

So, those guys are 8 division champs, being compared to Jack Dempsey and hyped up as possibly one of the top 3 fighters of all time?
[/quote]

Being an “8 division champ” doesn’t mean shit when you beat David fuckin Diaz to get one of them. Division champs aren’t what they used to be.

[quote]
Is Mayweather a great fighter? No one questions that, but has Pacquiao ever tried to do anything NOT to make this fight happen? Hell no. He wants to fight. But who’s not showing up? There comes a time when someone has to shut the fuck up and face the music. Only one guy’s been doing the talking. Blah blah blah he’s way too good, so he must be on steroids… Child please. Get in the ring.[/quote]

I don’t think you have any idea what goes on behind the scenes. Few people do. But it’s not unfair, in this day and age, to ask for olympic style steroid testing. Especially for a guy who came up so much in weight and has maintained his power in ways that nearly every other fighter CAN’T.

Take the test and get in the ring. Pac has the one who has been holding this entire thing up by not agreeing.

And the fact that there is so much hype, that we’ve already gone on for three pages arguing about this, proves that Mayweather has been right all along.

By waiting for this fight to boil, he has assured that when it happens, it will be momentous.

Good point, none of us will step into the ring that night, so who cares what we think?

But, you’re basically giving Floyd the benefit of the doubt because he’s Floyd Mayweather. Dismissing what Pac has done for the sport and just his overall achievements is weak. I don’t think that’s directly what you’re doing, but it sounds like it to me.

You tend to over analyze Floyd just ducking the fight and believe its all tactics. And like I said, I can definitely see that because deep down Floyd is about the money, and Pacquiao cares more about putting on a show and the people, basically getting them the fights they wanna see.

We all wanna see this fight, and if you don’t think its unreasonable for a fighter to order unsanctioned testing against a guy who moved up in rank and threatened and took away the spot light from him, I don’t know what flavor kool aid you’re drinking.

And the fact that there is so much hype, that we’ve already gone on for three pages arguing about this, proves that Mayweather has been right all along.

By waiting for this fight to boil, he has assured that when it happens, it will be momentous.[/quote]

It will be as big as a non-heavyweight fight can be.

[/quote]

These are the two main reasons why I think Mayweather will win against Pac. His straight right hand “The Southpaw killer” as called by Teddy Atlas and his ability to make adjustments.
But I think Mayweather will win by split decision. One of the 3 judges will like the aggression and overall punching volume of Pac.
Nice post Irish.

By waiting for this fight to boil, he has assured that when it happens, it will be momentous.[/quote]

Or someone beats him in the meantime…

[quote]xXxJoKeRxXx wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

Really…really? I would say regardless Floyd’s legacy will be one of being a consummate professional and a boxer’s boxer IN THE RING. The fact he is simultaneously a douche-bag’s douche-bag outside of the ring really won’t be an issue for history. The line between ducking fights and making good match ups can be debated ad nauseam, but I am going to need to see him look bad in a fight before I take any of the “ducking and excuse making” as a sign of anything more than business savvy and brinkmanship.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

well I beg to differ. Maybe 100 years from now nobody will know all this stuff and give him the benefit of the doubt as being a great, ((unless it well documented in credible places like the internet lulz)) But if Floyd keeps doing this ring around the rosey, what else are we today living through it all to believe?? My opinion of him will change to a legend if he beats Manny, and if he loses, to one of the greatest. But as is, not doing all he can to test himself against Manny, and to trash him and question his professionalism only makes him a cowardly thug jk a great boxer. But no legend or anything to brag about.

Put it this way, imagine every legend (joe louis, moore, ray robinson, foreman, ali, ray leonard) duck their biggest rival, opinions of them would be way much worse than if they outright lost the fight the would of ducked. Nobody likes a cowardly/paper champion… Remember rocky 3 with Mr. T?? bwahahhaa[/quote]

Ray Robinson constantly ducked Charlie Burley.

As well as being a dick to boot.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:

[quote]xXxJoKeRxXx wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

Really…really? I would say regardless Floyd’s legacy will be one of being a consummate professional and a boxer’s boxer IN THE RING. The fact he is simultaneously a douche-bag’s douche-bag outside of the ring really won’t be an issue for history. The line between ducking fights and making good match ups can be debated ad nauseam, but I am going to need to see him look bad in a fight before I take any of the “ducking and excuse making” as a sign of anything more than business savvy and brinkmanship.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

well I beg to differ. Maybe 100 years from now nobody will know all this stuff and give him the benefit of the doubt as being a great, ((unless it well documented in credible places like the internet lulz)) But if Floyd keeps doing this ring around the rosey, what else are we today living through it all to believe?? My opinion of him will change to a legend if he beats Manny, and if he loses, to one of the greatest. But as is, not doing all he can to test himself against Manny, and to trash him and question his professionalism only makes him a cowardly thug jk a great boxer. But no legend or anything to brag about.

Put it this way, imagine every legend (joe louis, moore, ray robinson, foreman, ali, ray leonard) duck their biggest rival, opinions of them would be way much worse than if they outright lost the fight the would of ducked. Nobody likes a cowardly/paper champion… Remember rocky 3 with Mr. T?? bwahahhaa[/quote]

Ray Robinson constantly ducked Charlie Burley.

As well as being a dick to boot. [/quote]

excellent tidbit, thanx, never heard that before. Shall investigate claims (if possible) wherever i can, then reform opinion on him. This is exactly what I mean about Floyd legacy as seen by future generations. It’s quite possible all his shenanigans will be buried in the archives, or possibly not. But it’s much easier for us to form opinions. Not sure ‘if’ his team keeps putting up roadblocks for the fight, why he’d chance lookin’ like a complete douche chicken shit in avoiding one more fight. I’d say there would be less damage to his legacy if he lost to Manny, rather than duck him. Thats my opinion.

again thanx for the tidbit…

[quote]fnf wrote:

[/quote]

These are the two main reasons why I think Mayweather will win against Pac. His straight right hand “The Southpaw killer” as called by Teddy Atlas and his ability to make adjustments.
But I think Mayweather will win by split decision. One of the 3 judges will like the aggression and overall punching volume of Pac.
Nice post Irish.
[/quote]

I could see a split decision. I could see Mayweather fighting a lot like he did against DLH, and having the same outcome.