Have You Ever Given Up?

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]Miss Parker wrote:
Well, I’ve been beaten by a superior opponent and openly admitted it many times, and I’ve got no problem tapping when I’m beaten.

But the only time I believe I’ve “given up” - as in, I was completely defeated inside and out - was when my friend Matt sneak attacked me with a choke from behind while I was chatting with some friends. He had me in a tight rear naked and had twisted his body so my feet were lifted off the ground and he was holding me up by my neck. I know now I should have gone with his movement as he was making the attack, of course. But at the time I was so tired & my brain was so foggy that I just shut down & did nothing. It still bugs me that I reacted that way. Oh well, lesson learned.[/quote]

this is the fatigue factor…i’ve talked to quite a few SF and Delta Force dudes, and they all had that weird ability to push through an intense amount of pain and fatigue…

Eric Haney talks about it in his book “Inside Delta Force”…he gets lost doing Land Nav and has to trek like 70 miles or something through the West Virginia mountains. [/quote]

Yeah, a good part of our training focuses on learning to fight through fatigue, fear, or pain. Not nearly so much as the SF guys, of course…

A lot of females react to exhaustion (especially exhaustion paired with frustration) by involuntarily crying. I tend to shut down & turn into a catatonic zombie.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
What? Alright people here are confused. If your doing jiu jitsu of any sort and you get SUBMITTED and TAP that is NOT giving up. Unless you want your arm or leg broken just to say I didn’t give up, no. You just got outskilled. Man…just watch this fight. This is a warrior, never giving up and continuing! And I can bet everything he wasn’t feeling the greatest when knocked down to come back and keep goin that hard.

- YouTube - Part 1

- YouTube - Part 2

- YouTube - Part 3[/quote]

LOL a warrior doesn’t wave off the fight then complain about getting beat up in the post fight interview.

Well, I’ve been beaten by a superior opponent and openly admitted it many times, and I’ve got no problem tapping when I’m beaten.

But the only time I believe I’ve “given up” - as in, I was completely defeated inside and out - was when my friend Matt sneak attacked me with a choke from behind while I was chatting with some friends. He had me in a tight rear naked and had twisted his body so my feet were lifted off the ground and he was holding me up by my neck. I know now I should have gone with his movement as he was making the attack, of course. But at the time I was so tired & my brain was so foggy that I just shut down & did nothing. It still bugs me that I reacted that way. Oh well, lesson learned.[/quote]

this is the fatigue factor…i’ve talked to quite a few SF and Delta Force dudes, and they all had that weird ability to push through an intense amount of pain and fatigue…

Eric Haney talks about it in his book “Inside Delta Force”…he gets lost doing Land Nav and has to trek like 70 miles or something through the West Virginia mountains. [/quote]

Yeah, a good part of our training focuses on learning to fight through fatigue, fear, or pain. Not nearly so much as the SF guys, of course…

A lot of females react to exhaustion (especially exhaustion paired with frustration) by involuntarily crying. I tend to shut down & turn into a catatonic zombie.[/quote]

I think men might do that, or at least a man: Cristobal Arreola.

[quote]goldengloves wrote:

LOL a warrior doesn’t wave off the fight then complain about getting beat up in the post fight interview.[/quote]

I thought he meant Maidana.

A lot of females react to exhaustion (especially exhaustion paired with frustration) by involuntarily crying. I tend to shut down & turn into a catatonic zombie.[/quote]

hmm…i turn into a complete jerk, until i do some regulated breathing and calm down.

i suspect, or at least wonder, if there ins’t some training to get people exhausted, and then train them to counter their own response to this…

One of my massive shortcomings, is my complete inability to back down or give up. I wont give an inch,no matter the cost to me, no matter how outgunned I may be. Though I admit, as I age, I’ve gotten smarter about this…

Not giving up does NOT mean you have to go head to head… :slight_smile:

[quote]highlander0 wrote:

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:

a great training partner or session or match or beating can have you doubting
everything you think about yourself

If your not feeling like you gave up sometimes during practice or training

[/quote]

This is truly sage advice. One of my main training partners is a level above me and I recently went through a long stage of self doubt because of this. I am happy to say that after some time of reflection and reassessing this trial has made me mentally tougher. That is the beautiful thing about competition, and especially any type of combat sport [/quote]

The challenge is NEVER to be as good as the other guy…but to be as good as GOOD AS YOU can be.

I DID MEAN MAIDANA!!! ahah I can’t beleive you actually thought that I thought Ortiz was the warrior. Maidana was fuckin KNOCKED DOWN 3 times by taking some hard shots. that does something to you mentally to get yourself back up and fight like he did, and Maidana did and never lost hope or gave up and gave it his ALL and pulled the win off in the end, many thought Ortiz was going to win. That’s a straight warrior there!

[quote]rasturai wrote:
I DID MEAN MAIDANA!!! ahah I can’t beleive you actually thought that I thought Ortiz was the warrior. Maidana was fuckin KNOCKED DOWN 3 times by taking some hard shots. that does something to you mentally to get yourself back up and fight like he did, and Maidana did and never lost hope or gave up and gave it his ALL and pulled the win off in the end, many thought Ortiz was going to win. That’s a straight warrior there![/quote]

haha I figured.

Maidana is a tough cat, no doubt. Ortiz hits hard, so I’m sure he was buzzed by those knockdowns, and he came right back with that straight right and pulled it off. Good for him.