T Nation

Have You Ever Given Up?

Not to go into too much extra detail sense I don’t think its relevant(unless someone wants to know…) but have yall been in any sort of match/sport etc… where you’ve given up. I feel like I gave up in my final match at a tournament on Saturday and it has been haunting me sense the same way I still have nightmares about some lacrosse games I had back in high school.

Just want to know if anyone has been through something similar…

Sure have man. I never gave up when I was playing HS football, but I was so damned small that I was kind of like the Rudy anyway.

Sparring wise, I’ve never given up, per se, but then you don’t really “give up” in sparring… it was kind of like, “I’m exhausted, I’m fuckin done.”

In real fights, I’ve most certainly given up when I was getting fucked up too badly. I used to be upset about it, but I look back and attribute it to the fact that if my heart wasn’t in the fight, or if I was just outclassed, I’d call it a day early. I have had some fights where I literally fought to the edge of passing out, but was either too scared or too intent on finishing to quit.

It’s like that marine general said, “We’re not retreating, we’re attacking in another direction.” shit happens. Move on.

I never gave up in my life. If I’m outclassed I try to find the weakness and exploit it. I turtle and let him come to me. I poke and play keep away. But I can’t recall a single time in a competition that I just gave up.

In sparring, sure, I always get to a point where I’m so fucking tired that I just cover up and try to survive against a better opponent, but I’ve never said “stop, I can’t continue”. On one or two occasions I’ve sparred the best guy in our club, and he’s body shot/ripped me twice, I’ve given up before, if I had have continued I would’ve been at risk of puking or pissing blood.

So far, I’ve never given up in actual match.

As for real fights, can’t recall giving up, but I have let my “bottle” (aka letting your fear/adrenaline rush get the better of you) go before a fight has started in one or two situations. That’s something I still have alot of trouble with, is initiating the fight. Most of the time when some guy gets in my face I know in the back of my head that I can probably drop him in a few punches, and should it draw out longer, I could easily outskill him, but it’s just committing to that first punch that is hardest for me. Once I’m in the fight, I’m fine.

If you say you have never quit

you have never worked enough or with anyone worth a shit

a great training partner or session or match or beating can have you doubting
everything you think about yourself

If your not feeling like you gave up sometimes during practice or training

train harder

find better places to train.

go - go cut your 15 or more pounds ( when you weigh 145)

grind your self to a stump

go not eat for days.

compete with the best

world best - see that they don’t make want to change your name
see where your head is after

go see that you did not die enough during training

then say you did not give up.

I gave up or quit in practice or HS and felt the burning shame for years.

the work after more then made up for it.

I have had to give up a couple of times, got my ass kicked a couple of years ago when I was younger by a guy who now fights for the K1… If only I had known :stuck_out_tongue:

BJJ I have never given up, but I have been outclassed sometimes and then you just tap out.

you win some, you lose some. Thats life, but if you just gave up, did you lose interest? Did your opponent just take the fight out of you? I’ve had many occasions where I was totally outclassed and got hit with a good shot that took the fight out of me, but you gotta dig deep and get back to your feet. Every fighter goes through that. But if you lost interest…maybe its time to look at another sport?

I’ve never given up in a street fight or in a competition. But in my first year of boxing while sparring a veteran who was making it a point to punish me I did give up. I didn’t give up in the sense that I said stop or didn’t keep going, but I basically stopped trying to compete and just tried to last (best word I can think of for it) and withstand the pain.

Being in a fight and being dominated to the point that your will to win is actually broken is one of the worse feelings IMO. I remember having a sense of panic, fear, and embarrassment and just hoping that it ended soon.

I have no respect for guys who try to really put a hurting on people during sparring sessions or any fight for that matter when they already know they outclass them. Just dominating them should be enough, but to try to hurt someone that you know is not a worthy opponent is chicken shit. That sort of thing can really change a fighters mentallity and perception of themselves and stay with them for a long time, but I guess sooner or later it happens to most of us and you have to learn from it and allow it to motivate you.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
sooner or later it happens to most of us and you have to learn from it and allow it to motivate you. [/quote]

Gospel

It’s not a shame to give up, sometimes your heart just isn’t there

i think the better prepared you are, the less likely this is to happen…

i’ve rarely seen anyone quit who was really in shape…not necessarily endurance, but the right kind of endurance, and having the strength to match.

and sometimes people just put too muhc pressure on themselves and can’t match that level mentally…i imagine the Olympic athletes have some truly exceptional sports psychologists

Yeah. HS wrestling. If a guy was more jacked than me I would give up before the match started. Conditioning wasnt good, I would get afraid of getting gassed and just dead-fish. Didn’t figure out my shit till my senior after going to a camp where they kicked my ass so hard that I got over it.

If by any chance you are talking about a combat sport get your ass to one of them wrestling red-flag camps or whatnot.

[quote]Eli B wrote:
Yeah. HS wrestling. If a guy was more jacked than me I would give up before the match started. Conditioning wasnt good, I would get afraid of getting gassed and just dead-fish. Didn’t figure out my shit till my senior after going to a camp where they kicked my ass so hard that I got over it.

If by any chance you are talking about a combat sport get your ass to one of them wrestling red-flag camps or whatnot.
[/quote]

I just moved to Los Angeles, i there any of these you recommend? i want to start wrestling, i’ve wrestled on brazil.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
i think the better prepared you are, the less likely this is to happen…

i’ve rarely seen anyone quit who was really in shape…not necessarily endurance, but the right kind of endurance, and having the strength to match.

and sometimes people just put too muhc pressure on themselves and can’t match that level mentally…i imagine the Olympic athletes have some truly exceptional sports psychologists[/quote]

Did you see the Cotto vs Pacquiao fight?? Cotto is a tough SOB and clearly gave up. I would argue that it doesn’t matter who you are or what kind of conditioning you have, it is possible for someone to take the fight out of you if they clearly outclass you and frustrate you to the point that you begin to doubt your own abilities.

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:

[quote]Eli B wrote:
Yeah. HS wrestling. If a guy was more jacked than me I would give up before the match started. Conditioning wasnt good, I would get afraid of getting gassed and just dead-fish. Didn’t figure out my shit till my senior after going to a camp where they kicked my ass so hard that I got over it.

If by any chance you are talking about a combat sport get your ass to one of them wrestling red-flag camps or whatnot.
[/quote]

I just moved to Los Angeles, i there any of these you recommend? i want to start wrestling, i’ve wrestled on brazil.
[/quote]

Welcome to LA man!! Nothing but celebrities, blondes, beaches, and parties out here!!

Or was it smog, traffic, ang gangs???

Either way it’s GREAT! =D

For sure, i just need to go to venice beach to see where the old pro trained and someday i will meet the governator!

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:

[quote]Eli B wrote:
Yeah. HS wrestling. If a guy was more jacked than me I would give up before the match started. Conditioning wasnt good, I would get afraid of getting gassed and just dead-fish. Didn’t figure out my shit till my senior after going to a camp where they kicked my ass so hard that I got over it.

If by any chance you are talking about a combat sport get your ass to one of them wrestling red-flag camps or whatnot.
[/quote]

I just moved to Los Angeles, i there any of these you recommend? i want to start wrestling, i’ve wrestled on brazil.
[/quote]

Welcome to LA man!! Nothing but celebrities, blondes, beaches, and parties out here!!

Or was it smog, traffic, ang gangs???

Either way it’s GREAT! =D
[/quote]

its great but you dont see celebrities or get the blondes or go to parties?

^ Is that a statement or a question???

You’ve been fairly quiet these last few days, everything okay buddy? Too busy fapping or what?

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
i think the better prepared you are, the less likely this is to happen…

i’ve rarely seen anyone quit who was really in shape…not necessarily endurance, but the right kind of endurance, and having the strength to match.

and sometimes people just put too muhc pressure on themselves and can’t match that level mentally…i imagine the Olympic athletes have some truly exceptional sports psychologists[/quote]

Did you see the Cotto vs Pacquiao fight?? Cotto is a tough SOB and clearly gave up. I would argue that it doesn’t matter who you are or what kind of conditioning you have, it is possible for someone to take the fight out of you if they clearly outclass you and frustrate you to the point that you begin to doubt your own abilities.[/quote]

no, i haven’t seen that…i guess i wasn’t speaking in all cases, but most cases.

when i think about not giving up, i think of Diego sanchez vs BJ Penn…BJ schooled Sanchez in every area the entire fight. Sanchez kept trying, though, and if he didn’t have truly exceptional conditioning, he would not have been able to do that…

he still lost, but he didn’t quit.

^ Oh there are tons of cases of people not giving up and I agree that some people have shown tremendous heart, but I do believe all people have breaking points. Some may be so high that they will never be pushed to that level, but I do believe everyone has one. But now we’re talking more psychology then individual experiences and I don’t want to highjack the thread.