Have You Ever Given Up?

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
no, i haven’t seen that…i guess i wasn’t speaking in all cases, but most cases.

when i think about not giving up, i think of Diego sanchez vs BJ Penn…BJ schooled Sanchez in every area the entire fight. Sanchez kept trying, though, and if he didn’t have truly exceptional conditioning, he would not have been able to do that…

he still lost, but he didn’t quit.
[/quote]

In all fairness, Diego didn’t receive anywhere near the amount of punishment Cotto received in one or two fights.

Cotto would get murdered on MMA

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
Cotto would get murdered on MMA[/quote]

Your statement is extremely random and unfounded with no justification or facts to back up your claim.

But if you’d like to debate that issue we should start a new thread.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:

a great training partner or session or match or beating can have you doubting
everything you think about yourself

If your not feeling like you gave up sometimes during practice or training

[/quote]

This is truly sage advice. One of my main training partners is a level above me and I recently went through a long stage of self doubt because of this. I am happy to say that after some time of reflection and reassessing this trial has made me mentally tougher. That is the beautiful thing about competition, and especially any type of combat sport

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

Your statement is extremely random and unfounded with no justification or facts to back up your claim.

But if you’d like to debate that issue we should start a new thread.[/quote]

Thank you.

What a ridiculous statement to make out of nowhere.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

Thank you.

What a ridiculous statement to make out of nowhere.[/quote]

Michael Jordan would get murdered in downhill skiing.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
^ Oh there are tons of cases of people not giving up and I agree that some people have shown tremendous heart, but I do believe all people have breaking points. Some may be so high that they will never be pushed to that level, but I do believe everyone has one. But now we’re talking more psychology then individual experiences and I don’t want to highjack the thread.[/quote]

yeah, i agree.

just to be clear, i’m not saying in all cases, it’s a conditioning issue…i just think that it is normally the case.

speaking of the mental aspect, has anyone read “the Fighter’s Mind” by sam Sheridan?

^ no, recommend it??

Not combat related but suffice to say I have given up several times lifting. Once I tried to get a total harness lift total of 3 million pounds. I used approximately 1200 lbs which would require approximately 2500 reps. I attempted to get the workout done in two hours. About 1.5 hours through I was in a bunch of agony. I suddenly felt very wet underneath my shirt and saw a bunch of blood seeping through shirt in shoulder/trap region as well as through my shorts around my waist. I stopped right there and said f it. I still have burn scars around those regions. Never did tried that mark again. At least those injuries heal and is not a big deal. The internal injuries you get that take a real long time to heal are the worst, especially if you are close to winning a meet or competition - boy do you want to give up. I’ve had several times where the back gives out and keep trying to lift a stone and the though of either getting laid out for a week and trying or not getting laid out and being fine in a couple of days is a tough decision. But I guess in the end it is all about intestinal fortitude and having an iron will.

I gave up last night. I was on top of my girlfriend and banging away but I was way too drunk to finish. I ended up rolling off her and verbally submitted. It happens. She threatened to find another partner to roll with in future if my form doesn’t improve.

Well… technically I’ve given up every time I submit during practice but it’s nothing to feel bad about. But have I ever seriously “given up” and just said “fuck it” in a combat sport? No, not that I can think of.

I’ve done that more in like, “life activities” (whatever that means).

I did however “give up” when I was playing Football from being so angry and frustrated during a game. Ironically, I would start to play better because I stopped caring so much and usually just got in angry douchebag-over-aggressive mode.

I might tap out, but I never give up. I don’t think of tapping out as giving up. I fight until I can’t fight no longer, I never give up.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
^ no, recommend it??[/quote]

i dunno…i haven’t read it either! :slight_smile:

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
^ no, recommend it??[/quote]

i dunno…i haven’t read it either! :)[/quote]

A Fighter’s Heart by Sheridan was an absolutely incredible book. I haven’t read the new one, but I’m sure it’s excellent.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

Thank you.

Michael Jordan would get murdered in downhill skiing.[/quote]

Shaq would get murdered on Golfing.

Those are facts they don’t need explanation

What? Alright people here are confused. If your doing jiu jitsu of any sort and you get SUBMITTED and TAP that is NOT giving up. Unless you want your arm or leg broken just to say I didn’t give up, no. You just got outskilled. Man…just watch this fight. This is a warrior, never giving up and continuing! And I can bet everything he wasn’t feeling the greatest when knocked down to come back and keep goin that hard.

- YouTube - Part 1

- YouTube - Part 2

- YouTube - Part 3

Well, I’ve been beaten by a superior opponent and openly admitted it many times, and I’ve got no problem tapping when I’m beaten.

But the only time I believe I’ve “given up” - as in, I was completely defeated inside and out - was when my friend Matt sneak attacked me with a choke from behind while I was chatting with some friends. He had me in a tight rear naked and had twisted his body so my feet were lifted off the ground and he was holding me up by my neck. I know now I should have gone with his movement as he was making the attack, of course. But at the time I was so tired & my brain was so foggy that I just shut down & did nothing. It still bugs me that I reacted that way. Oh well, lesson learned.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
What? Alright people here are confused. If your doing jiu jitsu of any sort and you get SUBMITTED and TAP that is NOT giving up. Unless you want your arm or leg broken just to say I didn’t give up, no. You just got outskilled. Man…just watch this fight. This is a warrior, never giving up and continuing! And I can bet everything he wasn’t feeling the greatest when knocked down to come back and keep goin that hard.
[/quote]

LOL, and as much as I like Ortiz… he, uh, gave up. Like really gave up.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

Thank you.

Michael Jordan would get murdered in downhill skiing.[/quote]

Shaq would get murdered on Golfing.

Those are facts they don’t need explanation[/quote]

you are a dork…i was making fun of you.

[quote]Miss Parker wrote:
Well, I’ve been beaten by a superior opponent and openly admitted it many times, and I’ve got no problem tapping when I’m beaten.

But the only time I believe I’ve “given up” - as in, I was completely defeated inside and out - was when my friend Matt sneak attacked me with a choke from behind while I was chatting with some friends. He had me in a tight rear naked and had twisted his body so my feet were lifted off the ground and he was holding me up by my neck. I know now I should have gone with his movement as he was making the attack, of course. But at the time I was so tired & my brain was so foggy that I just shut down & did nothing. It still bugs me that I reacted that way. Oh well, lesson learned.[/quote]

this is the fatigue factor…i’ve talked to quite a few SF and Delta Force dudes, and they all had that weird ability to push through an intense amount of pain and fatigue…

Eric Haney talks about it in his book “Inside Delta Force”…he gets lost doing Land Nav and has to trek like 70 miles or something through the West Virginia mountains.