Gun Love Thread

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:
Here’s a closer pic of the border[/quote]

I’m considering doing that to my archangel stock. I assume the grade of plastic makes a difference?

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Probably, but Bambi’s dad is a little bit bigger than that. Plus I was banging that steel flip target at 100 yards open sights, and the circle is about 6". I figure 6x has got to be a step up from open sights.
[/quote]

damn… I need better glasses, lol.

I’m good with irons out to about 50 yards, 100 if the target is pretty big. Would need a lot more practice before I could hit 6" at 100 with irons…

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Probably, but Bambi’s dad is a little bit bigger than that. Plus I was banging that steel flip target at 100 yards open sights, and the circle is about 6". I figure 6x has got to be a step up from open sights.
[/quote]

damn… I need better glasses, lol.

I’m good with irons out to about 50 yards, 100 if the target is pretty big. Would need a lot more practice before I could hit 6" at 100 with irons…[/quote]

Well, I didn’t hit it every shot, lol. Like, 60% on metal, about half of those hit it square enough to flip it. On the other hand I was using the cheap ammo, which produces a lot of flyers. So I don’t know. I feel good enough about my skill to shoot up to 100 yards with the irons off hand. Past that I’ll see what I can do with the scope and high dollar ammo at 200 yards.

My friend’s going to let me use his press & shit which is awesome. Doing the math I can roll my own with the top dollar Sierra Boat-Tail Hollow points for like $.40 a bullet. The cheapest .308 I’ve found is like .65, and the flyers really get on my fucking nerves.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:
Here’s a closer pic of the border[/quote]

I’m considering doing that to my archangel stock. I assume the grade of plastic makes a difference?[/quote]

Yeah for sure I’ve noticed that my 870 stock is softer than the polymer on glocks and m&p’s but still workable. Just start slow and practice on some old unused ar grips if you have any.

So here is my top 3 right now, and will get whichever goes on sale first:

1. Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50
  2. Leupold VX-2 Target 6-18x40mm
  3. Nikon Monarch 3 5-20x44mm

Or if Santa is good to me:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420328164/vortex-viper-pst-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-6-24x-50mm-side-focus-first-focal-illuminated-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
So here is my top 3 right now, and will get whichever goes on sale first:

1. Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50
  2. Leupold VX-2 Target 6-18x40mm
  3. Nikon Monarch 3 5-20x44mm

Or if Santa is good to me:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420328164/vortex-viper-pst-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-6-24x-50mm-side-focus-first-focal-illuminated-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding[/quote]

I would look around a little, midway is high on some things, especially ammo.

I got my first gun today! I’m so excited!

3 Likes

Good! It makes me happy to see women take their own defense seriously.

That’s not .357, is it?

You will never, ever lose your guns.

Worrying about it is like worrying about Y2K before the year 2000. Chicken Little kind of stuff.

Excellent choice for a first pistol. No woman should ever be defenseless.

1 Like

No, it’s a .38 Special. I won’t carry it - it isn’t necessary where I live - but I’ll be glad to have it at home when I’m alone. I’m out in the middle of nowhere, and the windows are open all summer long.

I’ve been thinking about it for a while. I’m glad I’ve got it. Now I just need to become competent using it.

I would stongly recommend getting some snap caps and doing regular dry fire practice.

Once you feel competent and confident you may want to consider carrying anyway, because you never know what you may find when you come home. There could be anything from a buglary in progress to a very mean stray dog waiting for you.

Huh - will the snap caps give the kick that live rounds do? Because one of the things I need to do is toughen up the area between my thumb and index finger. It’s definitely bruised after shooting maybe 25 rounds with the pistol. Afterward I had trouble lifting a draft beer with that hand, though I was able to cowboy through the pizza. : )

Haha, no, no recoil. They let you dry fire the revolver without potentially damaging the firing pin. Your particular revolver is very light which makes it pleasant to carry but unpleasant to shoot.

Snap caps will help you develop good muscle memory and trigger control. You get in the habit of shooting without flinching, and this carries over when you are shooting live ammo. You can also practice reloads. I can’t afford to go to the firing range as often as I would like, but when I am dry firing on a regular basis I see a great improvement when I do go to the range.

Okay, interesting. Kevin (Hockey) has an area set up on his 150 acres for shooting, with various target possibilities. We were shooting a close target with the revolver and I did much better early, before my hand started hurting - and before I started anticipating the hurt. I’ll look for the caps.

I shot a 9mm that day, too, which didn’t have any recoil and was a delight to shoot, but it’s difficult for me to cock the bigger pistols and I’m not sure I would be safe with them due to the size/weight.

When shooting something with a lot of recoil I sometimes have the same problem, my shooting will start great but get worse.

I highly recommend the Azoom Snap caps. I have had a few other brands come apart in firearms with strong actions.

One thing that may help you is a different set of grips. I don’t know what comes on yours, but there are probably several different aftermarket styles available. Larger ones may help, depending on your hand size.

This is a prepared lady,

7 year old gets her first deer. Better trigger discipline that some of my buddies.

3 Likes

I saw this on Facebook over the weekend. The liberal meltdown was fun to watch, lol.

Reviving this thread just because I am excited that I picked up a brand new Maverick 88 12 gauge for $199.99. Now I am all Mossberg 500 crazy looking at aftermarket parts.

3 Likes