GuineaPig’s Training Log - Hunt 300 Deadlift

really really is.

I was writing out my workout plan for today, and as I was writing S B and D down the side… MIND BLOWN!

1 Like

Search criteria, “Dude talkin’ that bullshit.” haha

2 Likes

Would like this twice if I could

1 Like

imma release the sbd kraken on you if you dont watch out

2 Likes

If anybody has any more advice

1 Like

Day at the beach in Frankston/Mornington because guinea pigs are actually good swimmers like hairy little hippos.

Unfortunately think I tweaked something around my shoulder throwing an American Football a thousand times. Doesn’t seem too serious so far a bit of pain around the front of the shoulder when I bring my arm behind me. It kind of radiates so I can’t pin it down to certain spot.

Saw a random sting ray and thought about what them bastards did to Steve Irwin

Anyways bit worried about my shoulder but will try out benching tomorrow and should be able to. I think these few months have been good largely in part to staying injury and niggle free. No knees, hips, elbows, wrists or back. Fingers crossed this shoulder tweak will turn out to be nothing much

4 Likes

I would recommend caution around your shoulder.

Its a very complex joint and, when injured, can be very difficult to diagnose and rehab.

My little bro ‘tweaked’ his shoulder and 18 months later still can’t flat bench.

See how you feel in the morning, see how you feel after bar only warm-ups, but be completely prepared to walk away from the session.

remember if you make it worse you wont be able to bench, likely wont be able to get your hands in position for squat and it could even be painful to deadlift. When I broke my collar bone I spent 6 weeks doing nothing but leg press for 6 weeks before I could even add curls into my routine.

If you have just got a minor strain or inflammation from overuse a few days rest should be more than enough for it to recover.

3 Likes

Yeah is looking pretty good but until I do a few reps with the bar won’t know for sure. Am finishing up the cycle soon anyways so don’t mind a forced deload or cut back on intensity for bench.

Big fuckin workout tomorrow (might not bench cos if shoulder but we’ll see) and the last HIgh day of the training cycle according to my friend/coach/program guy.

Would just like to take a bit of time to reflect on how it’s gone. Keeping in mind I sandbag everything my lifts have gone

Sleeveless Squat
125kg x 7 to 140kg x 6

Bench
85kg x 7 to 95kg x 5

Deadlift
Sumo 160kg x 8 to 180kg x 8
Conventional 145kg x 7 to 160kg x 10

Good gains if I do say so myself. Bench a bit meh but will fix that next cycle.

Meh in absolute terms but all your lifts went up 10-12.5% depending how much you adjust for rep drops.

Just that a big % increase, on a small number, is still a povvo bench :wink:

1 Like

IMG_1658

2 Likes

18/12/17

Hot day today but going out into the city for lunch with mates and a workout at the Doherty’s Gym there. Ventilation is trash in the Banana Alley Vaults so will try go grab a rack/platform down one of the open ends of the tunnel.

Pre workout yums yums is Sushi Hub. Was meant to go a little easier on the sushi because didnt want to carry around an extra kilo during my workout but was not successful. Luckily didn’t vomit up lunch during the workout.

High day with lots of sets today (my least favourite kind of workout). Will slog thru it anyways.

Squat
150kg x 4,4,4,4,4,3,3,3

Sleeved Squats on the menu with 150kg. Hitting the rack all over the place but went alright. Lot of sets and was feeling drained by the end. Nothing a Gatorade couldn’t fix though.

Bench
90kg x 2,2,2,2,2,2,2

Took it easy/careful cos of the shoulder tweak with some 90kg doubles. Not the best circumstances to be trying to improve my form and wasn’t particularly successful so roast away.

As far the shoulder goes didn’t feel anything during bench and didn’t feel worse after but still something there. It’s a bit weird feeling.

Didn’t get around to trying out how dips feel. Sounds a bit strange but dips are the only exercise that have never bothered my shoulder vs incline DB and flat bench (not much of a sample size I know

Deadlift

Sumo DL
185kg x 6,5,6,1 Rep PRs

Felt heavier than last session at Iron Revolution but got in the volume and a grindy Rep PR.

For once without pants or tights now I remember why baby powder is used in meets. When I was pulling hook my thumb nail was ripping into my thighs. Switched to straps and still got caught on the thighs but at least it’s better than drawing blood.

Conventional DL
165kg x 6,6,5,4 Rep PRs

For the first time in a while came out of conventional Deadlift with a fried lower back. DOMs tomoz for sure.

Gruelling session overall but got in the work. Apparently a deload next week and I think I’ll need it.

Squatting with a belt is going well but felt terrible on deadlift cutting into me as I set up and shit. Makes me want to go Yury Belkin on that shit

3 Likes

Maybe try wearing it slightly higher? I had the same issue when I first used a belt for deads.

2 Likes

Ima try next time but it was already higher than I have for squats so any higher and it’d be on my ribs. Does it still work the same up there?

Still looks like your grip is still a little too narrow for your current bar path.

Better than the vid from last week but your elbows still flare out at the sticking point.

Not sure what you are using a mental cues at the moment but simply squeezing the bar harder and ‘pulling the bar apart’ could help keep the stacking.

EDIT: On re-watching I think the flare actually put you into a stack rather than out of it. Looks good.

I still want to see that white knuckle grip though.

1 Like

Yeah, Didn’t use the squeezing hard af thing this workout. My guinea pig brain can only handle so many things at once lol. Next time

Was trying to: Pull feet back and engage legs more, retract scapula more, cheater arch more lol and widen the grip a finger width

Haha I know the feeling of remembering all the cues. Can definitely set you bak rather than help you forward.

Great bruce lee quote on the topic.

“Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick.
After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick.
Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick.”

First it seems simple. Just push the bar. Then you dissect it, and there is a lot to think about. Then you perfect, it, they all become second nature, and you can again just focus on pushing the bar.

That mid phase is a bitch, with slow progress, but as more things become second nature, progress improves.

There will always be cue’s but, hopefully, fewer each time.

1 Like

“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” Something that pops up when I google Bruce Lee quotes

3 Likes

No tights no likes… almost rhymes.

1 Like

But it was 35 degrees…