Egypt Erupting

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Update:

Mubarak has indefinitely blocked all trains to Cairo to prevent protestors from attending the Million Person March. Internet has been cut throughout the country–I think all ISPs by now; before, it was only a couple–and all mobile service to be cut off later today.

He’s totally the kind of guy the U.S. should support! I mean, he’s open to DEMOCRACY![/quote]

What’s with the holy grail of democracy?

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
What’s with the holy grail of democracy?[/quote]

Huh? Pretty sure you’re not using that phrase right.

And by the way, my update came from friends. I don’t if that word was echoed in the media.

Becks take on it so far.

Huh? Pretty sure you’re not using that phrase right.[/quote]

What’s with democracy being the holy grail? Better?

What’s with democracy being the holy grail? Better?[/quote]

What would you suggest? I say democracy because that is what is always championed by Washington, that many countries need “democratic institutions” (or whatever phrase they use) and America will fight to spread democracy around the world, etc. Isn’t that the chorus?

John S.,

Not sure who the fuck would care about Beck talking on such matters. Seriously. The guy is a fucking joke.

This is a beautiful moment in history for the Middle East.

If the transitions to democracy can be made, this will be a legendary event.

Remember people, Egypt is one of very few countries who are friendly with the US. That is why Obama cannot denounce Mubarak too much.

Update:

Mubarak has indefinitely blocked all trains to Cairo to prevent protestors from attending the Million Person March. Internet has been cut throughout the country–I think all ISPs by now; before, it was only a couple–and all mobile service to be cut off later today.

He’s totally the kind of guy the U.S. should support! I mean, he’s open to DEMOCRACY![/quote]

They are going to have to physically get near him, the people need to literally chase Mubarak out nude. He keeps spinning this as “the people are confused and I am the answer”, but he must physically be ousted.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Remember people, Egypt is one of very few countries who are friendly with the US. That is why Obama cannot denounce Mubarak too much. [/quote]

Remember- he’s still caught in between a rock and a hard place. Push too much, and the islamists say this is Western interference. Don’t push at all, and it seems like we don’t care. Denounce him, look like an asshole and lose an ally if he stays in power. Don’t, and fear the consequences when whomever takes over next remembers that you never helped.

He must tread lightly here. Let them determine their own course.

Unconfirmed reports are coming out, that Mubarak will not seek reelection.

[quote]Big Banana wrote:
It is not the majority of Egyptians that we worry about. It is the minority that is willing to use violence. The majority of Iranians did not want what they got. [/quote]

And that’s a good observation, but you can’t hold onto a worthless government because you fear what MIGHT be a worse successor.

Mubarak should be exiled or just shot.

And what the fuck happened to coup de’ etats? Are they now passe?[/quote]

Don’t you understand? This is the way the right thinks: better not get rid of that brutal dictator, because we might get a repressive government! We better cut Social Security NOW, or else in the future, we might have to…cut Social Security!

What would you suggest? I say democracy because that is what is always championed by Washington, that many countries need “democratic institutions” (or whatever phrase they use) and America will fight to spread democracy around the world, etc. Isn’t that the chorus?

John S.,

Not sure who the fuck would care about Beck talking on such matters. Seriously. The guy is a fucking joke.[/quote]

The actual Washington said not to get into foreign entanglements.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:

[quote]Big Banana wrote:
It is not the majority of Egyptians that we worry about. It is the minority that is willing to use violence. The majority of Iranians did not want what they got. [/quote]

And that’s a good observation, but you can’t hold onto a worthless government because you fear what MIGHT be a worse successor.

Don’t you understand? This is the way the right thinks: better not get rid of that brutal dictator, because we might get a repressive government! We better cut Social Security NOW, or else in the future, we might have to…cut Social Security!
[/quote]

Isn’t that the same logic the Kenyan used for his health care bill? That the current medical costs were unsustainable, and that something needed to be done? So “hope and change” was implemented? Are you disagreeing with that “right-sided” thinking by our president? Ryan, I am sorry to see that you are nothing more than racist and xenophobic, just because our president is black. Ryan, I hope one day you can get past the color of his skin, and see that his actions are meant for the benefit of our country as a whole. Your disagreement is nothing more than vitriol over a black man being president.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Big Banana wrote:

[/quote]

Isn’t that the same logic the Kenyan used for his health care bill? That the current medical costs were unsustainable, and that something needed to be done? So “hope and change” was implemented? Are you disagreeing with that “right-sided” thinking by our president? Ryan, I am sorry to see that you are nothing more than racist and xenophobic, just because our president is black. Ryan, I hope one day you can get past the color of his skin, and see that his actions are meant for the benefit of our country as a whole. Your disagreement is nothing more than vitriol over a black man being president.
[/quote]

lol.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Big Banana wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Vitriol, it’s what’s for breakfast!

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
This is a beautiful moment in history for the Middle East.

If the transitions to democracy can be made, this will be a legendary event.[/quote]

Or it lasts for a month like what happened in Iran. But whatever happens we should stay out of it.

John S.,

Not sure who the fuck would care about Beck talking on such matters. Seriously. The guy is a fucking joke.[/quote]

Because he is attacking our foreign policy, showing how what we did kept this guy in power and is causing this uproar. It is fun to watch people turn to non interventionist foreign policy.

What we are seeing in egypt is exactly what Thomas Jefferson was talking about. It is why we need Commerce with all, alliance with none.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Let them determine their own course.[/quote]

Don’t you think that they could have democratic elections that elect a Hammas or Hezbolla type org? This is what WILL happen.

Tunisia and Egypt are erosions of our hegemony. Both countries are/were run by CIA.