Deadlift form check plz

Video: iCloud Photos - Apple iCloud

115x6
I’m just coming back from a back tweak on 130kg deadlifts two weeks ago

Any comments appreciated

Doesn’t look bad. I’d like to see a 3/4 angle too.

You set up well and don’t change your hip angle when you initiate the pull - good stuff!

You do this little hitch right as you pass your knees. I think you’re trying to finish the rep strong, but that’s an opportunity to tweak your back as the weight jumps then settles. You end up with a shrug there that then drops. This is the one area I think we could improve.

You seem to finish with your glutes instead of low back, which is awesome; another angle would help, but I think you’re good.

I think you could fix the hitch just by concentrating on a smooth pull (drive your feet through the floor kind of cue). If not, and since the shrug is a little early, maybe we have to force your lats to crank down. A drill I absolutely love for that I saw from Coach Thibaudeau on this site: you wrap a light band around the middle of the bar and the other end on the rack in front of you so that it pulls the bar forward. This forces you to keep your lats engaged the whole pull to keep the bar from getting out in front of you. Don’t go crazy on band tension. Again, I don’t really see anything to indicate you definitely need this, but it’s an option if just smoothing out that knee pass isn’t automatic.

Overall: looks great!

1 Like

Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate that. The jump around the knees is me following SS rip cue “drag the bar up your legs” and the legs don’t follow a straight path but I did notice when I used an empty bar trying to get a straight bar path that I could get it if I bent straight over without bending my knees as much (if that makes sense)

Looks like you do a little shrug at the top. That may go away when the weight gets heavier.

1 Like

Yes I think that was just there in this set - usually it’s not there - I usually pull the shoulders back as per starting strength form

1 Like

My thought is are you sure your bar path and body position is the most efficient. You seem to have a very rigid form, to the point that concentric and the eccentric looks identical. This is good. But it looks like you are concentrating on making the eccentric mimic the concentric.

IMO, to find the most efficient form, it is better to make the concentric form mimic the eccentric form. That is, how you allow the descent of the bar naturally, is usually the most efficient form to do the concentric (pull).

You can find this fairly easily by doing sets of 5 to 10 reps with a weight that is fairly heavy, but very easy to do without breaking form. Do the reps touch and go. Don’t set up after every rep. You will be pulling the weight from the same position that it touched the ground from your descent. This should be your most efficient form.

Now. Give us some idea of how your skeleton is structured. All you long waisted or long legged? How tall are you?

3 Likes

I’ll piggyback off this as well. Initiation off the floor looks solid and yeah things become a little less than ideal from the knees up there. 3 things come to mind for you to work on.

1. As far as getting a straighter bar path, it’s good that you get your shoulders out over the bar to start the pull…but there is such a thing as too far. To maintain that straight path, maybe think about setting up with the shoulders back a little relative to the bar.
  2. I think training the RDL would benefit you greatly, as that’s the portion of the movement that looks less than perfect. Especially hip-banded RDL! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnXt1rtemto&ab_channel=TestosteroneNation
  3. I would recommend doing 20 of these before EVERY set of deadlifts. The cueing and activation they provide is unparalleled IMHO. And they’re meant just to activate…nowhere close to fatigue or even getting a pump. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO56_AmHjpI&ab_channel=NoExcusesCrossFit
1 Like

I’ve just spent an unearthly time trying to find out my leg to height ratio

Height 6’3 (190cm)
Head to chair sitting down (96cm)
The rest (Leg worked out from above) (94cm)

Ratio 0.49 (average is 0.53?)

So longer torso than leg if Ive measured from the right place

That is an interesting methodology. Just consider that the neck and head are of no consequence in the mechanics of a deadlift.

When I was a sophomore in college, a few of use engineers got together and sought a precise height for all of us. I was 6’ 1/8". I am fairly long legged. As I got older my spine compressed more each year, so I just got more long legged. My inseam length to the floor is slightly shorter than 36". (I know actually inseam is measured from the crotch to the ankle, but to the floor is much more relatable for the deadlift.)

I found that my most efficient deadlift form is a hinge lift, where my legs don’t have much bend. At 6’ 3" I find it difficult to believe that a deadlift for you would be best with much bend in your knees at all. You cannot mimic your best traditional deadlift form from someone who is short legged. They need to shorten the moment arm of the torso. They will be relying on their quads to initiate the pull.

I had the opportunity to see Vince Urbank (6’ 5") workout where I did. He would “setup” with his legs bent, but when he began his pull his legs were nearly straight. His hips rose first and then he pulled.

IMO, you will have a difficult time finding your best form if you don’t do touch and go reps. You eccentric descent will be the most efficient. You just need to try to make the concentric pull the same path as the eccentric descent.

Maybe some members who are 6’ 3" or more could offer some insight on their form findings for pulling the most weight.

4 Likes

I’ve never seen it said like this but it makes perfect sense.

Today I tried out doing some empty bar reps against two vertical bars - to see what it felt like with a vertical bar path.

It felt totally different- I was bending over at the top with almost straight legs…

Is that a good idea to get the feel of the path?

I would strongly recommend letting the weight on the bar “direct” the proper descent of the bar. An empty bar is too little weight to accomplish this. You probably need to do touch-and-go reps for a few weeks for your body to find its natural bar path and body positions.

1 Like

Oh cool thanks I will