Carwin vs Lesnar?

[quote]SeaHag wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

For illustrative purposes, here’s Brock’s straight right (notice how it has a lot of momentum behind it, sending Herring tumbling backwards across the mat, but not all that much impact, as he doesn’t seem too hurt by the punch):

The fact that his lights weren’t turned out has more to do with the punch placement than any lack of power you may percieve. So far as I know Carwin hasn’t broken any bones in his opponents faces, like Brock did to Heath.

From FiveKnuckles.com is for sale | HugeDomains

“Herring fought Brock Lesnar at UFC 87 after Mark Coleman was forced to withdraw due to a knee injury. The fight went the full 3 rounds and Lesnar was declared winner by unanimous decision. Herring was seen struggling with the larger, physically more dominant opponent, and was knocked down early in the first round with a straight right. According to Heath Herring’s official Facebook profile in a note titled “6 Months To Rest”, Herring is said to have suffered a broken orbital bone from the first punch of the fight and is expected to be out of action for six months”[/quote]

Maybe, but the winner of the fight isn’t determined by who can break more noses, but by who wins via knock out, submission, TKO, or judges decision. So far, Brock has yet to KO anyone and Carwin has so far KO’d several guys with one punch. You can talk about placement all you want, but that’s actually part of the power equation. Maybe Brock can hit a heavy bag as hard as Shane (maybe not, who knows), but he hasn’t been able to land a big shot on the button like Carwin has. So, he doesn’t have the applied power that Carwin does.

Lesnar IS the better wrestler there is no question about that Lesnar was a division I champion, Carwin division II. There is a difference between division I and division II. If Lesnar comes out and takes him down He will have almost as much trouble as Mir (well maybe not that much trouble). But, on the ground Lesnar wins big.

Also, while Carwin may be more apt to use his hands, and he’s good at it Lesnar hits very hard, ask Couture and Herring who both hit the bottom of the UFC cage after ONE Lesnar shot.

As for taking a punch Carwin seems to be able to take shots and keep coming he’s done it in the past, Lesnar’s chin is yet unproven.

I’ll call the fight for Lesnar, I don’t see how Carwin escapes the big takedown over and over again. But, I do see how Lesnar escapes being knocked out.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Lesnar IS the better wrestler there is no question about that Lesnar was a division I champion, Carwin division II. There is a difference between division I and division II. If Lesnar comes out and takes him down He will have almost as much trouble as Mir (well maybe not that much trouble). But, on the ground Lesnar wins big.
[/quote]

Well, as KMC mentioned before, just because Carwin wrestled Div 11 and Lesnar wrestled Div 1, doesn’t mean that Lesnar is that much better of a wrestler. Carwin attended a Div 11 school to pursue an engineering degree, not necessarily because he wasn’t a good enough wrestler to wrestle Div 1.

That said, I would probably give Lesnar the wrestling advantage, but how much of an advantage is yet to be seen. I do think that eventually Lesnar will take Carwin down if the fight goes on long enough. The question is, will he be able to keep him there/control him once he does, and will Carwin catch him with a KO shot before Lesnar is successful.

And yet neither of them were actually knocked out. Knocked down, yes, knocked out, no. People look like they get shot in the head when Carwin connects. Brock has yet to prove that he can Ko people like that. Maybe the potential is there (he’s huge, very strong, and quick for his size), but it hasn’t matured yet if it is.

Well, Lesnar has taken some decent shots (a punch from Randy and a Knee from Mir) and though he was rocked, he recovered both times and ended up winning the fights. But he’s yet to face someone who can hit like Carwin. Randy couldn’t KO Gonzaga, even though he landed some solid shots; all it took was one right hand from Carwin to KO Gabe.

As much as I would like to see Carwin win, if I were gonna put money on the fight I’d probably bet on Lesnar as well. But, I think that it’ll be a competitive fight and could definitely go either way. It’s either gonna be real short, or a war IMO.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
It’s either gonna be real short, or a war IMO.[/quote]

War? I don’t think so. Lesnar dominates him for five rounds (more or less) or Carwin gets a number of shots in fairly early that hurt Lesnar and it’s over. I’ll stick with my original analysis and prediction.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
It’s either gonna be real short, or a war IMO.

War? I don’t think so. Lesnar dominates him for five rounds (more or less) or Carwin gets a number of shots in fairly early that hurt Lesnar and it’s over. I’ll stick with my original analysis and prediction.[/quote]

hehe, yeah, i wonder if some of the posters have ever seen heavyweights fight before. These guys are former collegiate wrestlers so they know a thing or two about conditioning, but if this thing doesnt end early, it could get real sloppy and real ugly by the 3rd or even 2nd round.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
ZEB wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
It’s either gonna be real short, or a war IMO.

War? I don’t think so. Lesnar dominates him for five rounds (more or less) or Carwin gets a number of shots in fairly early that hurt Lesnar and it’s over. I’ll stick with my original analysis and prediction.

hehe, yeah, i wonder if some of the posters have ever seen heavyweights fight before. These guys are former collegiate wrestlers so they know a thing or two about conditioning, but if this thing doesnt end early, it could get real sloppy and real ugly by the 3rd or even 2nd round.[/quote]

Yeah, no doubt it’ll likely slow down during later rounds if it goes that far. That doesn’t mean that it still can’t be competitive though. They’re both in phenomenal shape, but they’re also huge guys with lots of muscle to supply oxygen to.

If it does get really sloppy, it’ll probably be tough for either one to finish the other, hence it’ll wind up being a back and forth struggle (“war”). Take a look at the most recent TUF fight and even though both of the guys’ conditioning sucked and they gassed, the fight wound up with them going back and forth, neither able to finish the other. That’s what I was referring to when I said “war”. Kind of like Griffin vs Bonner 1 (only obviously less action due to their size). Not a pretty fight, but still a fairly competitive one.

I’d bet that Lesnar and Carwin have enough gas to make it a lot more exciting that the TUF fight though, and are obviously much more skilled.

I really have no idea who to go with on this fight, but I just wanted to say: How amazing would it be to see someone as big and powerful as Brock Lesnar just get caught and be knocked right out on their feet? Would make my month.

EDIT: Not that I’m that fan that only looks for the knockout, but just something about Brock, I’d LOVE to see him get CLOCKED.

i heard the fight got cancelled

[quote]xxxwtfxxx wrote:
i heard the fight got cancelled[/quote]

Just postponed…supposedly due to an illness to Brock [H1N1 flu]. The fight is being rescheduled for UFC card 108 on January 2nd…at least that is what Carwin Tweeted; but there’s been nothing official from the UFC so far as I know.

[quote]edmondfightclub wrote:
I have to say this, Lesnar, to be honest, only has his speed and size.[/quote]
Oh is that all.

[quote] If you watch him, he isnt that great a wrestler.[/quote] Good enough to win an NCAA national championship at heavyweight, but then again everyone does that right?

[quote] His technical abilities seem to be limited to transitions on the mat.[/quote] Do you want to see more wrestling moves? Would that impress you? Is it more wrestling moves you want to see from Lesnar?

[quote] I havent seen him attempt any submissions,[/quote] Wait I thought it was more pure wrestling moves you wante to see, now it’s submission moves. Now tell me, how many people has Randy Couture submitted? Something like two in 12 years. But, you like him so all is well. Lesnar however must submit someone for you to respect him, I see.

[quote] all he does is drops those 2 inch hammer fists on your face.[/quote] That actually worked for him when he did it. But, if you watch the second Frank Mir fight you’ll see him bring those ham hock fists far back and launch them.

[quote] And you can say that he beat Mir’s face in, which it did look bad, but did you hear Mir after the fight? He said that brock doesnt even hit hard.[/quote] Really? Apparently he hits hard enough to rearange Mir’s face and knock down Couture and Herring. Ah, but none of that counts because you don’t Lesnar, I have to admit he is difficult to actually like with his abrasive personality and all “Budweiser don’t give me no money”. Yea, he’s easy to hate, we get it.

Yes, that’s all it is, he’s big, and he lays on fighters and they can’t move. None of Mir’s Jiu-Jitsu skill could get him out of that problem he had with that big person, laying on him. Lesnar is going to have to teach others his “laying on” technique. It works well for him, he won an NCAA title just laying on guys. He was so big they couldn’t move. Many were even his weight or larger but with that special “laying on” technique well, they just can’t move. It isn’t fair I tell you, it just isn’t fair!

[quote] Carwin, now that man is the real deal.[/quote] As opposed to Lesnar who is not real, just a big, fast, heavy person who lays on people.

That means that he’ll be especially strong if the fight goes to 4 or 5 rounds. Wait, no it doesn’t. Darn. But, the man is good no question.

What was that? Division II? Hmm, that would be inferior to Division I where Lesnar ruled right? Yea, but he’s still good, division II is good.

You forgot about Lesnar’s special “laying on” technique won’t that work? I guess we won’t know until we see the fight. But Lesnar did manage to win a Division I HW wrestling title. I imagine he held lots of guys down his own weight who were equal to or better than Carwin(division II), on the mat.

And you base this on watching dozens of their matches right? No, probably not. You base it on the fact that you don’t like Lesnar. Let’s see how that thinking works out for you when they meet.

[quote]
End:Lesnar throws that big right, Carwin steps right, and catches him in the chin with a vicious right hook. Brock down for the count![/quote]

And then you woke up.

[quote]BrownTrout wrote:
Not to mention his physique is a hell of allot better looking. [/quote]

Hey, think they’ll do a pose down after the fight? No, probably not.

People seem to really be playing up the Div I NCAA title…

Sento seems to have caught on- maybe a few more.
Carwin’s choice of school had more to do with where he wrestled, then his ability.

I can tell you first had, how hard the NCAA playing field is.
I can also tell you that Lesnar is NOT the wrestling phenom you people want him to be.

I can tell you first hand the difference between HS, D3, D1 and international competition.
and how at each level the game changes, unless your a heavyweight.
most other weights from 55 to 100 kg are far far more competitive then Heavy.
Just by the fact that there are less big people.
and less big people who get to that level.

He never played any greco, never did any post college wrestling inside or outside of the US.
seemingly never thought about olympics etc, but wasnt really offered that either.

and for all the people saying his wrestling is great. go watch his youtube stuff on him wrestling
its not that good, but it needn’t be.
ragdolling goes a long way when your bigger, stronger , faster then most if not all of your competition.

Yes he is a freak athelete, huge, fast powerful.
But at heavyweight the competition is much lower.
much.

Steve Neal is the one exception- in the same era/time frame as Lesnar. NCAA title, then worlds champion then Pro NFL football, never having played.

If you go back a few more years, the original super freak would be Karelin.
No comparison.
None.

Before people get their panties wet, and say I’m discrediting Lesnar.
there always seems to be someone :slight_smile:

the dude is a freak.
Big.
Super fast. agile.
strong like bull
and of moderate skill
He uses his size and weight exceptionally well,
go look at the neck crank top control he utilized against Mir.
his take downs average. Yes I said it.

His striking less then average, but it does’nt need to be better.
Or does it.

here is one case where big strong fast will beat most talent.
I did say most.

People can say he beat Randy a real wrestler, I say sure , an old as dirt dude giving up 50 lbs.
and Mir, well Mir made a mistake and lesnar capitalized well, and beat that ass.

His mediocre skill set is probably enough when combined with freak athleticism to win most matches.
when your that big and athletic, you prob don’t need to do much, or do you?

Maybe I am missing something?
I am not surprised at his winnings, look at him
the only time I might say that size would trump technique

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:

Carwin’s choice of school had more to do with where he wrestled, then his ability.[/quote]

You’re saying he could have wrestled at a division I school but chose not to. The fact remains he competed against division II wrestlers and there is a difference between division I and division II, that’s why they have different divisions. Hence, winning a division II title, while impressive, is not as impressive as winning a division I title.

[quote]
I can also tell you that Lesnar is NOT the wrestling phenom you people want him to be.[/quote]

Why don’t we look at his record to determine how good he is. He had a 33-0 record his senior year in HS. He then went on to have a 106-5 record in College winning the NCAA division I (not II) championship his senior year. Before that he was ranked as the number one HW of the big ten.

Certainly an impressive career. I don’t think that he’s the best wrestler to ever set foot in the Octagon. Obviously there are more impressive wrestlers, but his wrestling pedigree is quite good and certainly better than Shane Carwin’s by leaps and bounds.

[quote]I can tell you first hand the difference between HS, D3, D1 and international competition.
and less big people who get to that level.[/quote]

But he beat them all, the best that the country had to offer at division I.

[quote]and for all the people saying his wrestling is great.[/quote] I’m not sure there are as many saying he was a great wrestler as there are people saying that everyone thinks he’s a great wrestler. Odd huh?

[quote] go watch his youtube stuff on him wrestling
its not that good, [/quote]

Naw, he’s no good at all. I think it was just luck that caused him to win the NCAA title in division I. Yea that’s it, luck.

This is the second time (both on this thread) where the words “bigger, stronger or faster” are actually used as a put down when it comes to Brock Lesnar. This now borders on the comical.

[quote] Karelin.
No comparison.
None.[/quote]

I agree that Brock Lesnar sure could never have competed with perhaps the greatest olympic wrestler of all time. Wasn’t Alaxander Karelin undefeated for 13 straight years? Wow. But, what does that really mean? What other mma athlete with a wrestling background could have competed with Karelin? Certainly not Couture, Kerr, Henderson, Lindlin, Coleman or any of the other really good mma wrestlers. What does that prove? And furthermore how come you’re not on this (or any other) thread demeaning those wrestlers for not being the greatest?

[quote]Before people get their panties wet, and say I’m discrediting Lesnar.
there always seems to be someone [/quote]

Don’t wear panties, but you are certainly discrediting Lesnar, but you have a reason, you don’t like him. And (most) people will simply not give much or any credit to people they don’t like. Simple.

[quote]
his take downs average. Yes I said it.[/quote]

That’s funny usually when you are successful at 90% of your takedowns as Lesnar was in his final year of College (before winning the NCCA’s) most would say that you have strong takedowns. Didn’t he also takedown everyone he’s been in an mma match with? But I guess none of this matters if you don’t like someone you don’t allow facts to get in the way of a first class berating.

Let’s see he knocked down Couture, sent Herring rolling ass over head and beat Frank Mir to a bloody pulp. I think his striking is quite good based on what he’s done so far, but then again I don’t base my analysis on emotion.

[quote]
People can say he beat Randy a real wrestler, I say sure , an old as dirt dude giving up 50 lbs.[/quote]

That’s funny most people polled by the UFC (and many on this board) thought that Couture was going to beat Lesnar. If he had lost it would have been Captain America to the rescue. But, since he won Couture is too old. Got it!

[quote]
and Mir, well Mir made a mistake[/quote]

Have you noticed something about people who win? They cause their opponents to make mistakes, they make their opponents play their game. Mir had no game because Lesnar took it away from him.

He’s knocked opponents down, he’s taken them down and he’s kept them down, but for some reason he’s only mediocre.

Yes, you can’t detach your emotion from your analysis.

[quote]
the only time I might say that size would trump technique[/quote]

Size doesn’t really trump technique, check out Bob Sapp, he outweighs Lesnar by 80+ pounds and is a good 2" taller as well and he’s lost many times to smaller more skilled opponents. There are others out there bigger and taller who have not made an impact. But if you have both size and skill as Lesnar does then you are deserving of respect, even if you don’t like him personally, or should I say his persona.

I’m not saying the guy can’t be beaten because on any given night anyone can be beaten. But, he is a very skillful guy who has shown that he can get better with every fight. Keep in mind I don’t like his public persona. He’s an obnoxious ego driven moron, at least that’s how he acts, maybe in private he’s a different man. But, I will give him his due. Brock Lesnar is real force to be reckoned with and not only because of his size, strength and speed, but because of the skills he brings into the Octagon. It’s okay to boo your favorite villain, but try to use some analytical skill and give him credit for his ability while continuing to hate him for his obnoxious behavior.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
kmcnyc wrote:

Carwin’s choice of school had more to do with where he wrestled, then his ability.

You’re saying he could have wrestled at a division I school but chose not to. The fact remains he competed against division II wrestlers and there is a difference between division I and division II, that’s why they have different divisions. Hence, winning a division II title, while impressive, is not as impressive as winning a division I title.

I can also tell you that Lesnar is NOT the wrestling phenom you people want him to be.

Why don’t we look at his record to determine how good he is. He had a 33-0 record his senior year in HS. He then went on to have a 106-5 record in College winning the NCAA division I (not II) championship his senior year. Before that he was ranked as the number one HW of the big ten.

Certainly an impressive career. I don’t think that he’s the best wrestler to ever set foot in the Octagon. Obviously there are more impressive wrestlers, but his wrestling pedigree is quite good and certainly better than Shane Carwin’s by leaps and bounds.

I can tell you first hand the difference between HS, D3, D1 and international competition.
and less big people who get to that level.

But he beat them all, the best that the country had to offer at division I.

and for all the people saying his wrestling is great. I’m not sure there are as many saying he was a great wrestler as there are people saying that everyone thinks he’s a great wrestler. Odd huh?

go watch his youtube stuff on him wrestling
its not that good,

Naw, he’s no good at all. I think it was just luck that caused him to win the NCAA title in division I. Yea that’s it, luck.

when your bigger, stronger , faster then most if not all of your competition.

This is the second time (both on this thread) where the words “bigger, stronger or faster” are actually used as a put down when it comes to Brock Lesnar. This now borders on the comical.

Karelin.
No comparison.
None.

I agree that Brock Lesnar sure could never have competed with perhaps the greatest olympic wrestler of all time. Wasn’t Alaxander Karelin undefeated for 13 straight years? Wow. But, what does that really mean? What other mma athlete with a wrestling background could have competed with Karelin? Certainly not Couture, Kerr, Henderson, Lindlin, Coleman or any of the other really good mma wrestlers. What does that prove? And furthermore how come you’re not on this (or any other) thread demeaning those wrestlers for not being the greatest?

Before people get their panties wet, and say I’m discrediting Lesnar.
there always seems to be someone

Don’t wear panties, but you are certainly discrediting Lesnar, but you have a reason, you don’t like him. And (most) people will simply not give much or any credit to people they don’t like. Simple.

his take downs average. Yes I said it.

That’s funny usually when you are successful at 90% of your takedowns as Lesnar was in his final year of College (before winning the NCCA’s) most would say that you have strong takedowns. Didn’t he also takedown everyone he’s been in an mma match with? But I guess none of this matters if you don’t like someone you don’t allow facts to get in the way of a first class berating.

His striking less then average

Let’s see he knocked down Couture, sent Herring rolling ass over head and beat Frank Mir to a bloody pulp. I think his striking is quite good based on what he’s done so far, but then again I don’t base my analysis on emotion.

People can say he beat Randy a real wrestler, I say sure , an old as dirt dude giving up 50 lbs.

That’s funny most people polled by the UFC (and many on this board) thought that Couture was going to beat Lesnar. If he had lost it would have been Captain America to the rescue. But, since he won Couture is too old. Got it!

and Mir, well Mir made a mistake

Have you noticed something about people who win? They cause their opponents to make mistakes, they make their opponents play their game. Mir had no game because Lesnar took it away from him.

His mediocre skill set

He’s knocked opponents down, he’s taken them down and he’s kept them down, but for some reason he’s only mediocre.

Maybe I am missing something?

Yes, you can’t detach your emotion from your analysis.

the only time I might say that size would trump technique

Size doesn’t really trump technique, check out Bob Sapp, he outweighs Lesnar by 80+ pounds and is a good 2" taller as well and he’s lost many times to smaller more skilled opponents. There are others out there bigger and taller who have not made an impact. But if you have both size and skill as Lesnar does then you are deserving of respect, even if you don’t like him personally, or should I say his persona.

I’m not saying the guy can’t be beaten because on any given night anyone can be beaten. But, he is a very skillful guy who has shown that he can get better with every fight. Keep in mind I don’t like his public persona. He’s an obnoxious ego driven moron, at least that’s how he acts, maybe in private he’s a different man. But, I will give him his due. Brock Lesnar is real force to be reckoned with and not only because of his size, strength and speed, but because of the skills he brings into the Octagon. It’s okay to boo your favorite villain, but try to use some analytical skill and give him credit for his ability while continuing to hate him for his obnoxious behavior.

You sound butt hurt about the whole post.

[/quote]

[quote]drewh wrote:

You sound butt hurt about the whole post.[/quote]

Yes, that’s it you’ve got it. It’s not that I like honest debate about a sport that I love and the respect that I have for the athletes involved. It’s the butt hurt thing, excellent job of analysis on your part. There might just be a position for you as an mma commentator. You’re going places kid.

(eye roll)

Shane via KO (shoryuken punch)

i dunno, could carwin have battled neal to a 3-2 loss in the same year neal would go on to win worlds? i seriously doubt it

Zeb good retort fair enough
we can agree to disagree.

Drewh- as much as you post here, your still kind of a low level troll :slight_smile:

I don’t like his public persona either , but it is a business, and he probably is smarter about that
then I most would give him credit for the bad guy you love to hate.

really I did make that post too long and should have made it more succinct.

Only in Lesnars’ case does bigger, stronger Faster, equate better.
Ill give him credit he has an amazing work ethic, and works his advantages well.

Bob Sapp is his polar opposite, not as athletic, nor hardworking, no heart.

As far as his technique, well is lacking, but it does not matter.
striking, again you don’t have to have too much Technique with “lunchboxes” and power.

His take downs - well they are tackles
and always have been, to my eye.
they work because of His speed, size, etc,
not because he is tactical or good with his setups etc.
I have never seen him attempt any throws, etc, but sticks to very basic doubles, and duck unders.

that being said , I don’t think many people could defend such a tackle.

His top control I have said is excellent, and its not by accident.

as far as talking about other wrestlers, well they have not come up as often,
Lunch box hands seems to take the lions share.

As for the other wrestlers you mentioned, I can tell you plenty about them as I knew them in college
and the greco club circuit. Kerr, was a team mate, so we are close in age.

As for coleman, or couture, I am amazed they still get fight clearance.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
i dunno, could carwin have battled neal to a 3-2 loss in the same year neal would go on to win worlds? i seriously doubt it[/quote]

Good point… I doubt it too.

Lesnar in every fight now, since he demolished Mir in their second fight. He’s improved so fast in such a short time, that if it continues, he’ll keep winning until his body starts falling apart.

To me, its pretty much that simple.

EDIT: In my view, Mir is one of the best heavyweight guys on the floor I’ve seen - technically. If he had nothing for Brocks “laying on” technique, I dont see how anyone else stands a chance.

Brock in the second, TKO.