Anybody Training for a Sport?

Interesting…

I’m old now. But I was an international “player” in Olympic Sport Taekwondo. Though my profile says 06, I used to post here under a different name and have been on this site since the earlier part of the 2000s. Believe I followed Thib here, I used to read him on another website back in the 90s when he still had that chunky/strong look.

I honestly never liked this site much as far as the forums…tons of bad information from regular posters, and I still think that. But I always liked the articles and contributors for the most part and the Picture of the Day they used to have, or perhaps still do. I have recommended this site to people often over the years, but for the articles…not the forums. There used to be some Sport/Athlete types that used to post here a long time ago that were really good…but they are no longer around. I’m sure there are some good ones on here now…but I don’t pay much attention to notice.

Oh…and I’m attempting to train again to get in shape to possibly fight again. Last time I fought I was 34, and that was old then…trying it at 40/41 may be even more fun. Big IF though.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
I Play high school lacrosse right now. Getting some interest from some small d3 schools in the area but nothing to write home about. Hopefully i will have a great junior year and attend some big camps that could help my stock. Not sure if i have the ambitions to play anything higher then d3 in collage.

Chronicle how do you train?[/quote]

I’m a year out from a torn acl so my training has changed a lot. Once I was off crutches I started SS and a lot of physical therapy. My squat went from the bar to 185 5x3. During season I did what I could. I usually lifted 1-2 times a week. About halfway through the season I switched to WS4SB. After about 4 or 5 months of that I’m going to switch to a 5/3/1 based program so that I can focus on the big lifts. I love to deadlift and squat so I want to be able to do both every week instead of having to choose. Outside of the gym I hit the wall everyday that I’m home and shoot 30-60 minutes. As the typical ‘dodge from the top’ middie (sieverts/rabil) I work on shooting on the run a lot. That helps a lot with conditiong. When I switch to 5/3/1 I’ll incorporate more loaded carries and sled pulls as GPP/conditioning type work

I just got done with my college hockey career. Any other ice hockey players? More specifically any goalies?

I’m training for basketball as well. And beach volleyball. Might sound like drastically different sports, but are same training wise in terms of jump high and be quick. Don’t have to be huge upper body for either too which helps. Metabolically they’re obviously a little different but oh well

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Anyone train for basketball purely? [/quote]

I play football(soccer - i do train like a madman too). I trained a basktball player about 18 months ago. He wanted to jump higher so h trained with me for about 3 months. He jumped higher after that period and was overall more dominant player on the court.

[quote]Young33 wrote:
I just got done with my college hockey career. Any other ice hockey players? More specifically any goalies? [/quote]

I played hockey. Played a couple games in the ECHL that was a good time injured wrist screwed me. I don’t play goalie. Due to my new job as a corrections officer working 3-11pm Thursday-Monday I can’t play my mens league that was really competitive. Now I’m just lifting to be stronger and move better and I feel healthier than ever.

I play Australian Rules Football the greatest sport on Earth. It is a combination of soccer, football, rugby, volleyball, lacrosse, and basketball. Their is a ton of running, jumping, and hitting. In general I am faster than about everyone who is stronger than me and I am stronger than the people who are faster than me. I play here in the U.S. their are about 50 mens teams and 9 womens teams. I play for the Columbus Jackaroos and we won the Division 2 National Chamionship this year. Check out usfooty.com for more information.

Also I am a trainer and own a gym so I am interested in learning more about everything related to fitness. I rarely post but read quite a bit. I spend most of my time now just reading the headlined articles but also peruse strongman, powerlifting, rehab, bodybuilding, nutrition, and more recently powerful women.

[quote]biggun7997 wrote:
I play Australian Rules Football the greatest sport on Earth. It is a combination of soccer, football, rugby, volleyball, lacrosse, and basketball. Their is a ton of running, jumping, and hitting. In general I am faster than about everyone who is stronger than me and I am stronger than the people who are faster than me. I play here in the U.S. their are about 50 mens teams and 9 womens teams. I play for the Columbus Jackaroos and we won the Division 2 National Chamionship this year. Check out usfooty.com for more information.

Also I am a trainer and own a gym so I am interested in learning more about everything related to fitness. I rarely post but read quite a bit. I spend most of my time now just reading the headlined articles but also peruse strongman, powerlifting, rehab, bodybuilding, nutrition, and more recently powerful women.

[/quote]

wow.
that looks like a lot of fun.

I’m lifting just to get big, and to compete later on down the road in powerlifting. I’m also playing football and lacrosse.

[quote]spk wrote:
i enjoy reading posts re:training… even tho no posts on here talk cycling… i still like reading opinions on training…[/quote]

spk - What are your thoughts about lifting for cyclists?

[quote]sprogg wrote:
training to get back to my rugby condition. been rehabbing endless shoulder trouble on and off for the last 8 years or so. used to play a pretty high level (partnered alex corbisiero, england and lions loosehead, in the front row for two years at club level).

my main focus (apart from explosive strength, been powerlifting for a couple of years too) is on trying to armour plate my joints. ive found the best way to do this is simply to work a full ROM whenever and wherever possible (ATG squats, heavy paused benches, snatches, etc.)

having once dismantled a canadian u19 front row i now harbour a secret (not so anymore) dream to rise through the ranks of canadian rugby and one day pack down against corby.[/quote]

Pretty impressive that Corbisiero is a beast, England miss him massively when he is out. Where was it you were playing with him?

I recently quit rowing and thinking of making a comeback to rugby. Already has been a huge change in my training.