Anybody Training for a Sport?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Anyone train for basketball purely? [/quote]

Dropped out of highschool early due to being a knucklehead, but had several juco and a couple of small D1 schools in the south interested. But, being a knucklehead I fucked those up too. Took several years off from the game due to injuries, frustration, life, all kinds of shit, but picked it back up about a year and a half ago. It’s been super sporadic due to injuries, but realized how much I’ve missed the game and am planning inn getting healthy enough to play in Pro-Ams and competitive leagues again. Nursing a knee injury at the moment, but hopefully will be good to go in a couple of weeks.[/quote]
I’m pretty sure this dude can ball, why? He is from Texas!!

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

Dropped out of highschool early due to being a knucklehead, but had several juco and a couple of small D1 schools in the south interested. But, being a knucklehead I fucked those up too. Took several years off from the game due to injuries, frustration, life, all kinds of shit, but picked it back up about a year and a half ago. It’s been super sporadic due to injuries, but realized how much I’ve missed the game and am planning inn getting healthy enough to play in Pro-Ams and competitive leagues again. Nursing a knee injury at the moment, but hopefully will be good to go in a couple of weeks.[/quote]
I’m pretty sure this dude can ball, why? He is from Texas!![/quote]

Haha, damn straight! Got some dunk vids (I’m 5’9"), but unfortunately they’re all after my knee blowouts and surgeries. I’m 31 now, so not really sure if it’s possible with my age and dossier of gnarly injuries, but if I can get back to 85-90 percent of where I was athletically at 24-25, I’d be happy as a pig in slop.

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

Texas<Indiana…we produce players like it’s out job and we have 9 out of the top 10 biggest high school gyms in the nation :slight_smile:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

Texas<Indiana…we produce players like it’s out job and we have 9 out of the top 10 biggest high school gyms in the nation :)[/quote]
Well you gotta remember the BBALL players we produce are our second rate athletes because the real ones are playing football!! LOL I mean we just had a 65 million dollar high school football stadium built…

@krumdiddy i was hoping you didn’t bring up HSFB lol

[quote]chobbs wrote:
@krumdiddy i was hoping you didn’t bring up HSFB lol[/quote]
LOL my bad I guess I could leave that alone… Wasn’t John Wooden from Indiana? If so you win…

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
LOL my bad I guess I could leave that alone… Wasn’t John Wooden from Indiana? If so you win…[/quote]
Yesssir, and coached at Purdue

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

Haha, damn straight! Got some dunk vids (I’m 5’9"), but unfortunately they’re all after my knee blowouts and surgeries. I’m 31 now, so not really sure if it’s possible with my age and dossier of gnarly injuries, but if I can get back to 85-90 percent of where I was athletically at 24-25, I’d be happy as a pig in slop.
[/quote]

Our starting quarterback has a story much similar to yours. He’s also from Texas and played football nad bball on HS, then went to play D2 college bball for two years before he dropped out. Dude was out from sports for like 8 years, moved to Brazil and was friends with our defensive coordinator. Decided to try out of the team and guess what, dude BALLS HARD. One of the fastest guys I’ve seen in a while and he has some sweet moves as well. Has been the highlight of the League ever since.

Turns out he had to drop out because he had a rare illness that makes your body stop producing new blood cells and your immune system shuts off. He got a bone marrow transplant and had to spend two years in a hospital room because his endocrine system was like one from a 3 year-old.
But dude got past it, started lifting again and has a new life now.

Put in work homie, it’ll pay its dividends.

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Chronicle wrote:
I’m training for lacrosse. Not exactly a huge sport so it has some interesting aspects to it as far as recruiting. I want to be good enough to play at the top club level. That level is above most D3 teams and could compete a little to D1 teams. The only reason the team I want to play at isn’t D1 is because of the location of the school. Too far away from the east coast to compete with the D1 teams out there. As far as training is concerned, my position (midfield) requires everything. Speed like a sprinter, conditioning like a soccer player, strength to hit like a football player, agility. Kinda do everything as a midfielder so I have to train for that[/quote]
Probably similar to a safety in football…[/quote]

I am training for lacrosse as well. I am a rising college freshman and am going to be playing at a pretty elite d3 program (finished in the NCAA top 10 and hosted NCAA tournament games this year). Similar to what was said above basically training like a safety getting bigger and quicker. I play Long stick midfield and might get moved to midfield or short stick defense midfield in the fall.

my log is over here at Fallball is Coming - Training Logs - Forums - T Nation

[quote]BoybodyKellish wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Chronicle wrote:
I’m training for lacrosse. Not exactly a huge sport so it has some interesting aspects to it as far as recruiting. I want to be good enough to play at the top club level. That level is above most D3 teams and could compete a little to D1 teams. The only reason the team I want to play at isn’t D1 is because of the location of the school. Too far away from the east coast to compete with the D1 teams out there. As far as training is concerned, my position (midfield) requires everything. Speed like a sprinter, conditioning like a soccer player, strength to hit like a football player, agility. Kinda do everything as a midfielder so I have to train for that[/quote]

I am training for lacrosse as well. I am a rising college freshman and am going to be playing at a pretty elite d3 program (finished in the NCAA top 10 and hosted NCAA tournament games this year). Similar to what was said above basically training like a safety getting bigger and quicker. I play Long stick midfield and might get moved to midfield or short stick defense midfield in the fall.

Good luck! I know lacrosse is a lot more popular on he east coast… In Tx you can only find teams at the big rich high schools…

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
LOL my bad I guess I could leave that alone… Wasn’t John Wooden from Indiana? If so you win…[/quote]
Yesssir, and coached at Purdue [/quote]
I had read a few books on him, I am going to school and hope to be a coach so I read up on a lot of coaches… Just finished one on Bill Walsh…

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Chronicle wrote:

I dont really follow D3 but I know a few teams. Where are you playing? To be more specific, I’m hoping to play at BYU or CU. Heading over to a camp at BYU in a few weeks. Luckily, there’s no recruiting so my late start in the sport won’t affect me

I play rugby in college, division 1-AA, although that is a bit misleading because it’s the division all the big colleges people know are in. The top division (1-A) is only like 30 teams that have played rugby forever.

Rugby: The Ultimate Sport

Check out The Beast (aka Tendai Mtawarira): Beast unbelievable lifting : Super Rugby 2012 R.14 Sharks vs Stormers - YouTube

[quote]orothlain wrote:
Rugby: The Ultimate Sport

Check out The Beast (aka Tendai Mtawarira): Beast unbelievable lifting : Super Rugby 2012 R.14 Sharks vs Stormers - YouTube

[/quote]

cmon man, we all know rugby is the football for fat and slow boys…

jk

[quote]Chronicle wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Chronicle wrote:

I dont really follow D3 but I know a few teams. Where are you playing? To be more specific, I’m hoping to play at BYU or CU. Heading over to a camp at BYU in a few weeks. Luckily, there’s no recruiting so my late start in the sport won’t affect me
[/quote]

I will be attending Nazareth college as a physically therapy major so it is going to be a huge adjustment academically as well. Naz was ranked number 8 in the final poll and hosted 2 ncaa tournament games.

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

cmon man, we all know rugby is the football for fat and slow boys…

jk[/quote]

::eyeroll::
NFL quality: http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/codyjugs1-220x300.jpg

I Play high school lacrosse right now. Getting some interest from some small d3 schools in the area but nothing to write home about. Hopefully i will have a great junior year and attend some big camps that could help my stock. Not sure if i have the ambitions to play anything higher then d3 in collage.

Chronicle how do you train?

Bill Walsh’s Finding a winning edge is a classic football coaching book for any level. I have coached high school football, basketball,baseball at various levels. I use this site for my own lifting and also with some of my players. I try to get my junior football playing son to follow some of coach t lifting technique but its too much for him. I wish I would have known about cluster sets in high school or ramp to a 1 rep max. I remember yelling at players who tried to max all the time. I would like to hear how you train for your sports. I am just about finished with a 14 year old baseball teams season and would love to introduce them to sport specific lifting.

training to get back to my rugby condition. been rehabbing endless shoulder trouble on and off for the last 8 years or so. used to play a pretty high level (partnered alex corbisiero, england and lions loosehead, in the front row for two years at club level).

my main focus (apart from explosive strength, been powerlifting for a couple of years too) is on trying to armour plate my joints. ive found the best way to do this is simply to work a full ROM whenever and wherever possible (ATG squats, heavy paused benches, snatches, etc.)

having once dismantled a canadian u19 front row i now harbour a secret (not so anymore) dream to rise through the ranks of canadian rugby and one day pack down against corby.