Anybody Training for a Sport?

sooooo many posts and articles on how to get stronger, what to do to help improve running, new exercises vs the old school basics… running my first marathon articles…do the people posting these questions play a specific sport, and want to try new ways to train in their off season to get stronger at their sport, or are most posting just weekend warriors that do a little lifting and jogging to stay fit?

i really dont read any posts saying anything related to any one sport… how they made it to semi pro ice hockey, or made it to the national meet in throwing the shotput.anybodys mile time come down with all this lifting, going from a 4:10 to a 4:00?.. just curious… i know the bird plays soccer, thats about it. seems like most are just lifting to bench 300 not 280… or 400 instead of 375…anybody lidting so they can throw the javlin farther? any nationally ranked athletes in any sport on here. like to here their backgrounds…

I’m interested to hear as well.

Although you would think those who are pllaying at a high level in their chosen sport are not reading bodybuilding websites to try to gain an edge.

Except DarkNinja. Who is really serena Williams.

tweet

i enjoy reading posts re:training… even tho no posts on here talk cycling… i still like reading opinions on training…

If its of any interest I train specifically for rowing. Now I am never going to reach international level standard, but I hope one day to qualify for Henley Royal Regatta. I attempted it last year after being in an 8 which finished top 150 at 8s head in London (crews from around that finishing position have qualified for Henley later in the year before).

Everything is so progressive in rowing. Lifting, erging, work on the water and crosstraining as well as the technical side are all huge aspects of my sport. Literally everything in rowing can be measured from split times on the ergo, weight lifted, distance cycled, number of squat jumps done, times of 2k pieces on the river. I still find plenty of stuff on this site which helps with my lifting and nutrition, as well as the fact I have an interest in bodybuilding, powerlifting and strongman even though I don’t compete in these myself.

I train for 100m to 400m. But I think all runners need to sprint! If you don’t run about 11 seconds 100m you can’t be a good runner in my opinion…

derpost

i agree

Also I am a big believer that until you reach a base level of strength (not saying I know where this is but would say at least deadlift and squat twice your bodyweight, and backs up what the likes of Rippetoe preaches), for most sports weight training should be geared towards strength training. Obviously fitness and everything helps, but I think a good base level of strength provides a better foundation to improve.

An example in rowing is being able to lift big helps massively into a headwind which destroys weaker crews. Being able to deadlift 2.5 times my bodyweight is probably part of the reason I have won some head races in tough conditions despite the rowing being scrappy and head races being considered endurance based.

While I do train for a sport I am far from top level… And considering I play on the line most of my training is lifting anyways and right now I am just trying to focus on my weak points… which for me is my entire backside LOL… I have found tons of good information on here but where I have got the most good info is on nutrition… turns out cheesecake is not a good post workout meal! Who’d of thunk it! LOL jk but I cam here because I have always admired how strict a bodybuilder is with his diet… never wanted to be a BB but if I could clean up my diet I think it would help me a ton in my sport…

I’m training for lacrosse. Not exactly a huge sport so it has some interesting aspects to it as far as recruiting. I want to be good enough to play at the top club level. That level is above most D3 teams and could compete a little to D1 teams. The only reason the team I want to play at isn’t D1 is because of the location of the school. Too far away from the east coast to compete with the D1 teams out there. As far as training is concerned, my position (midfield) requires everything. Speed like a sprinter, conditioning like a soccer player, strength to hit like a football player, agility. Kinda do everything as a midfielder so I have to train for that

[quote]Chronicle wrote:
I’m training for lacrosse. Not exactly a huge sport so it has some interesting aspects to it as far as recruiting. I want to be good enough to play at the top club level. That level is above most D3 teams and could compete a little to D1 teams. The only reason the team I want to play at isn’t D1 is because of the location of the school. Too far away from the east coast to compete with the D1 teams out there. As far as training is concerned, my position (midfield) requires everything. Speed like a sprinter, conditioning like a soccer player, strength to hit like a football player, agility. Kinda do everything as a midfielder so I have to train for that[/quote]
Probably similar to a safety in football…

I play semi-pro football (american) here in Brazil. Granted, I don’t post regularly but I check in whenever I can. Thibadeau’s sub-forum is pure gold, especially if Olympic Lifts are part of your programming.

Lots of good info here, but I agree you have to filter a thing or two. I’ve had a few threads about sport-related subjects and got answers (nice tips) from the same faces over and over, which is nice but makes it clear that not everyone here cares about performance in a field.

Unite we must.

[quote]Brant2 wrote:
I play semi-pro football (american) here in Brazil. Granted, I don’t post regularly but I check in whenever I can. Thibadeau’s sub-forum is pure gold, especially if Olympic Lifts are part of your programming.

Lots of good info here, but I agree you have to filter a thing or two. I’ve had a few threads about sport-related subjects and got answers (nice tips) from the same faces over and over, which is nice but makes it clear that not everyone here cares about performance in a field.

Unite we must.[/quote]
What position do you play? Yes I agree Thib’s forum is amazing for an athlete that wants to be explosive…

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

Unite we must.[/quote]
What position do you play? Yes I agree Thib’s forum is amazing for an athlete that wants to be explosive…[/quote]

Right now I play stud linebacker on a 3-5-3 defensive scheme, but in the past I played safety. Considering who I’m talking to I usually tell people I play strong safety for practicality issues. Also to avoid questions like ‘Aren’t you too small to play linebacker?’ and such.

We just moved from a modified 5-2 to the 3-5-3 this season so I’m still adapting. Plus, playing the whole game in the box fucks you up. I cannot put into words how much beaten up my hands (especially) my hands have gotten since the season started…

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

Unite we must.[/quote]
What position do you play? Yes I agree Thib’s forum is amazing for an athlete that wants to be explosive…[/quote]

Right now I play stud linebacker on a 3-5-3 defensive scheme, but in the past I played safety. Considering who I’m talking to I usually tell people I play strong safety for practicality issues. Also to avoid questions like ‘Aren’t you too small to play linebacker?’ and such.

We just moved from a modified 5-2 to the 3-5-3 this season so I’m still adapting. Plus, playing the whole game in the box fucks you up. I cannot put into words how much beaten up my hands (especially) my hands have gotten since the season started…
[/quote]
oh trust me I know! I’ve been in the box my whole life LOL I mainly play offense though, I have played all positions on the O-line but I have found a home at RG and C for now… I do like the 3-5-3 as well as the 3-3-5 both are really good if you tend to see a lot of spread offense… Not to mention I like playing on the nose or a 1 tech shade…

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

Unite we must.[/quote]

[/quote]
oh and just curious, how big are you?

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

Unite we must.[/quote]

[/quote]
oh trust me I know! I’ve been in the box my whole life LOL I mainly play offense though, I have played all positions on the O-line but I have found a home at RG and C for now… I do like the 3-5-3 as well as the 3-3-5 both are really good if you tend to see a lot of spread offense… Not to mention I like playing on the nose or a 1 tech shade…[/quote]

Man I have mad respect for linemen. You are all unsung heroes and you get the shittiest part of the job. You gotta have some balls to through 60 minutes of hell, so my hat is off to you homie.

We fuck around with the 3-3-5 in a few situations, mostly because we’re a relatively small and fast defense for the league, so we make the best out of playing the pursue game. Also, it’s nice to fall back into coverage from time to time and play ball hawk for a break. The 3-5-3 is a good weapon against pretty much every offensive formation if used properly - having 6, 7 or even 8 guys flying in on every play frightens any quarterback, especially inexperienced ones like the one we play against.

I’m 6’0", 190lbs. That in the States would be an ok conerback, but our league is WAY smaller in terms of players. I can actually play head to head with any TE in the league and I’m actually more developed than 99% of the receivers.

Are you playing college right now?

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Brant2 wrote:

Unite we must.[/quote]

[/quote]
oh trust me I know! I’ve been in the box my whole life LOL I mainly play offense though, I have played all positions on the O-line but I have found a home at RG and C for now… I do like the 3-5-3 as well as the 3-3-5 both are really good if you tend to see a lot of spread offense… Not to mention I like playing on the nose or a 1 tech shade…[/quote]

Man I have mad respect for linemen. You are all unsung heroes and you get the shittiest part of the job. You gotta have some balls to through 60 minutes of hell, so my hat is off to you homie.

We fuck around with the 3-3-5 in a few situations, mostly because we’re a relatively small and fast defense for the league, so we make the best out of playing the pursue game. Also, it’s nice to fall back into coverage from time to time and play ball hawk for a break. The 3-5-3 is a good weapon against pretty much every offensive formation if used properly - having 6, 7 or even 8 guys flying in on every play frightens any quarterback, especially inexperienced ones like the one we play against.

I’m 6’0", 190lbs. That in the States would be an ok conerback, but our league is WAY smaller in terms of players. I can actually play head to head with any TE in the league and I’m actually more developed than 99% of the receivers.

Are you playing college right now?
[/quote]
Yea 6’ 190 is small for a LB but that is if you are talking NFL… Semi-pro here there are LB’s that size… I play semi-pro ball now, hoping to get into college but I’m almost done with my associates already so I might finish my degree before I get a chance LOL I am just hoping to play D3 for a year or two so I can get a leg up on my potential coaching career… and now that I think about it, I have a buddie that plays DE that is your size, pure speed pass rusher though and he prefers to play FS lol

Anyone train for basketball purely?

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Anyone train for basketball purely? [/quote]
I haven’t seen anybody yet… I am hoping to get intern time with the strength and conditioning staff for the University of Texas soon though… Hopefully this year…

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Anyone train for basketball purely? [/quote]

Dropped out of highschool early due to being a knucklehead, but had several juco and a couple of small D1 schools in the south interested. But, being a knucklehead I fucked those up too. Took several years off from the game due to injuries, frustration, life, all kinds of shit, but picked it back up about a year and a half ago. It’s been super sporadic due to injuries, but realized how much I’ve missed the game and am planning inn getting healthy enough to play in Pro-Ams and competitive leagues again. Nursing a knee injury at the moment, but hopefully will be good to go in a couple of weeks.