32 Years Old, 220 Pounds, Trying to Get Lean and Shredded

I was working out for 5 months prior stopped for 2 1/2 weeks cause I hurt my back compensating on curls. I am looking to start over and find a beginner program preferably a whole body one 3-4 times a week? and how often should I do cardio?

I know you get asked this a lot sorry, just signed up.

1 Like

We are going to need more information than that:

220 pounds, but whats your BF%?

Do you have only 5 months training?

What about your food? Sleep time? What do you do for living?

1 Like

You were weight training five months and injured your back doing curls? Five months into training you should be focusing on deadlifting and squatting and pressing. If you hurt your back doing a deadlift, I would understand, but curls?? I see it all the time so itā€™s not surprising but it makes no sense.
And, yes, much more information necessary.

2 Likes

Try thisā€¦

Cardio just do 45 mins of bike HIIT/swimming/whatever, on 1-2 days a week

1 Like

Put too much weight on the bar ended up compensating with my back to lift it. Got a bit overzealous. I did a simple beginner program for 5 months, I am 5ā€™10 and I donā€™t know my BF percentage. I sleep 7-8 hours a day and I work stock, not heavy stock thoughā€¦

Trying to get my physique like this

At your height youā€™ll probably need to weigh 200 pounds with very low body fat to look like that. Iā€™m guessing youā€™re not walking around with that kind of muscle right now. You may want to get back into (properly) lifting and focus on building muscle for a while. Follow a good diet and you can minimize your fat gain and probably even lose some fat since youā€™re essentially still a beginner. Read tons of T Nation articles.

3 Likes

Is there a program out their suitable for me know? Rep, volume, sets etc you can point me to? Iā€™ll be on later to measure myself to get BF percentage, It might not be accurate but in the range

Well at 32, you will need at least a year training and eating correctly. Then after that, due to the factor that your endogenous test is naturally going down at that age, you are going to need to be on gear ( roids, juice) to get to that physique. Thatā€™s the sad realityā€¦

1 Like

Is there a program to me started?

Any programs for me?

@shrednation
I feel ā€œThe Shut Up Programā€
ā€œ8 Week Basic Strength Planā€ or
ā€œThe Waterbury Methodā€ would be good starts.
@RampantBadger is better at this so heā€™ll probably pull a link or two outta thin air for you.

1 Like

Thanks bro

yep those all good programs that work especially Waterbury method

Shred: click on ā€˜Lessons from southwoodā€™ -its a link to an article with good beginners program like you asked and everything laid out

if you want to look vaguely like that picture the bottom line is you are going to have to train damn hard for anywhere from 3-15 years

2 Likes

Those seem cool, is there any full body work out besides the Waterbury Method? Anything with deadlifts in them?

On 2nd thought, I have been working out for 5 months maybe more any full body novice work out plans? Thanks

@shrednation I was looking for full body, since youā€™re relatively young training wise, but wasnā€™t sure what you preferred, so I included both splits and Waterbury full body.

1 Like

Baby steps as everyone has said. Hurting your back doing curls means you are expecting instantaneous rewards. T-forming yourself requires a complete overhaul of your life and, takes time and dedication. The guys here have an abundance of knowledge but before you get crazy with questions, READ articles and then more T nation has some kick ass stuff about everything you need to know. Itā€™s like an encyclopedia. So, after studying and deciding if you want to put in the long hours andproper nutrition, then hit the forums. Also, sometimes just reading posts on forum teaches you things about lifting, life, relationships etc. good luck :hugs:

Thanks, but Iā€™m ready for the complete overhaul of my life. Iā€™ve been working out for 5 months a d before that 6 months. Just need a novice program. I am reading but Iā€™m 32 and need to get going again

Cool is there a another full body work out besides water bury? Anything novice?