XPC 2014

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
Which one do you think the general public will want to watch?[/quote]

The “General pubic” doesn’t give a fuck about powerlifting, raw , geared, crossfit, oly lifting,strongman, bodybuilding, bobsledding, curling, or any anything else remotely fitness related. I mean have you seen what the “general public” looks like? come on man…

look everyone has hobbies they like to see get advanced. Do yourself a favor and Stop projecting your interests on others in such a fashion. It only will get you worked up for no reason.

Besides if I can squat 585 raw and 725 in a suit am I any less of a lifter? no, and if someone shit talked me in person, I’d prolly sock em in the mouth for doing it. Those numbers may suck in the scheme of things but for me they mean alot, I busted my ass for those. Besides, none of you fuckers running your mouths are prolly on the cover of Powerlifting USA so you got room for improvement too.

[/quote]

i think i had all my questions answered already so i have no problem with this thread being “derailed”. it is actually quite an interesting conversation. i see points being made that i agree with 100%, and others that have really made me think. the post from strengthdawg that i quoted above is probably my favorite. I agree 100% with everything you said. I might not be a WR holder or even elite, but i work my ass off!

[quote]osu122975 wrote:

[quote]frankjl wrote:
For those that think powerlifting will ever be main stream, I’d love to agree with you but I just can’t.

If you’ve ever travelled to a meet to watch, you’d know how unbelievably boring it is. I mean seriously. Even if you’re familiar with the lifters & their back story – it’s like watching paint dry to watch a full meet. It’s just not that interesting – raw or geared.

If you’re going to reply to this and tell me I’m wrong – tell me which meets you’ve gone to and tell me how much fun you had there.[/quote]

100% agree. Even when I’m competing, I’m ready for the day to be done. I’ve stated basically what you’ve said on another forum and it was met w/ opposition, but it doesn’t make it any less true.

Most of the feds I lift in have all these pity awards (Yes, I have some…lol). But all in all, just give awards to the top 5 lifters regardless of weight/age by some formula and end it. The scoring takes forever. If we get done at a decent time and the drive home isn’t very long, I’ll wait, but otherwise, C-YA! I compete to break PR’s, not receive awards.
[/quote]

In powerlifting, everyone is a winner!

to all the people saying meets are along and boring. when powerlifting was on TV, it was EDITED. with EDITING. so all the boring stuff was EDITED OUT.

[quote]Paul33 wrote:
to all the people saying meets are along and boring. when powerlifting was on TV, it was EDITED. with EDITING. so all the boring stuff was EDITED OUT. [/quote]

yes; but who really wants to watch a bunch of “fat guys”," roid heads",“alpha males”, " Insert what ever name you want to call them here____", play with weights? I would prolly watch it like I watch WSM, every now and then when nothing better is on. Take those Tough mudders, zombie runs, X-Terra’s etc. While I respect and admire those who do those things and I don’t care how many times they are on TV. This Guy has ZERO interest in doing them.
See IMHO, those “average guys”, or “general public” cannot comprehend taking hundreds of pounds for a ride. People often times cannot relate to that and likely don’t want to or they’d be like us and already in the sport. Even average gym goers don’t play with real weights. In my 41 years on this rock I’ve seen a bunch of guys playing with 225 on BENCH. Fewer with 275, a hand full with 315 & 365, jump to 4 wheels and it’s a rare as a good looking hooker that ISN’T a COP. In PL circles, those numbers aren’t “all that”. But I dare go out on this limb and say even most peeps on THIS SITE aren’t pushing the upward range of those numbers. I know because I’ve read the “check my form” threads…

I will concede that the genius of crossfit IMO is that it appeals to chicks, at least in the beginning, in a big way. Kind of like 80’s Hair metal, Attract the chicks, and the guys follow… It morphed from all those “boot camp” gym classes and stuff. As chicks got more fit, they sought out more and more intensive sessions. Crossfit comes along and it’s a good fit. Add in some of those “scary oly lifts” but dumb it down with horrific form and build a culture that form is for OCD type peeps, call it “hard core” and make a bunch of hardcore / witty saying tee shirts and you have a winner.
People are “gear queer” in this country. This is evident in all areas. People will try to buy their way to improvement. So all you need is one major player in the game like Reebok branding their shoes as “Cross fit shoes” and more will jump on board. Don’t underestimate the power of marketing. For example, the Tour De France. Remember that? No one gave a fuck about a bunch of little guys riding bikes across France in a gruelling 3000 mile month long race, that is until American Lance Armstrong won it several times. Then I started seeing shit loads of cyclist on the road. My buddy down at the bike shop was making money hand over fist. We know what happened to lance and no one is back to giving a crap about the TDF, except for the “real” cyclist who are in it because they love it.

[quote]trivium wrote:
Your attitude about your lifts suggests that you value other’s opinions of your lifts. If you were really a secure human being, you wouldn’t be upset if someone called you weak because your own opinion of them would be enough.
[/quote]

I lift in my garage and I rarely if ever, speak about lifting to anyone. Even when people ask me for workout advice I say very little. My point was that I bust my ass for every ounce on the bar, for my own benefit. I care not what other lift or do. I just get tired of people bashing geared lifters and I get tired of the fucking raw only camps.

But I hear ya man. Sorry for my attitude, and it wasn’t directed at you per se’. This raw vs geared shit really gets under my skin. FWIW I haven’t been i a bench shirt or squat suit in 2 years. It’s just people who have never lifted equipped need to keep quiet about such things because they have no fk’n clue. Their uneducated “opinions” mean shit, because they cannot speak from first hand experience. They might as well give tactical advice to Special forces because they have played call of duty or some shit.

[/quote]

Well there is nothing wrong with being in the Clint Darden camp (garage gym, geared box squats, etc), but my big thing is that there is no “Raw vs. Gear” as they don’t compete with each other in the same meet.

I do believe that Raw guys can learn from geared lifters. The more I read and explore programming, the more I believe that westside might be one of the best training methods ever made for both geared and raw lifters.

Understanding why someone would use a band, chain, box, board, etc. can add valuable training information to any lifters basic understanding of the sport.

For example, looking at weak points with creativity can be eye opening. I listened to Dave Tate talk about assistance for a stalled bench press. The guy said that he was stuck in the mid range. Dave just started spilling knowledge of elbow positions (rotation, flexion, and angles relative to torso/shoulder, levers), assistance in those positions, and selecting the one with the most carryover to the individual asking the question.

Even though I have never even put on a weightlifting belt, all of these things can add valuable tools to my repertoire.

Even if I never use this information, knowing it exists can change how I make my decisions.

An example of this in my own training is that I have a few rowing movements I love. They are Kroc rows, t-bar rows, Pendlay rows, and chest supported row. I was doing Kroc rows, Pendlay rows, and chest supported row for ever. They stalled. I kept doing them for the next several months. No progress. One day I decided I would give swapping them out a shot. I moved to Kroc rows and t-bar rows. I started light, focused on form and progressed. After several months, I stalled. Last week I decided that I was bored of them and pissed that they weren’t moving at all. I ended up doing a set of Pendlay rows with 50 more lbs than I stopped doing them with. Better form, better range of motion.

Didn’t Louie Simmons say that “Everything works, but nothing works forever.”?

I guess I just want people to realize that everyone can learn from one another. There doesn’t have to be a this or that.

If you are raw and you use a slingshot, you didn’t bitch out. You just used a tool.

If geared guys drop the bench shirt for a few weeks and it helps them, then so be it. They didn’t bitch out or turn into one of those awful raw lifters either.

My only gripe with each camp is the judging seems to be a bit less strict with squatting in geared competitions for various reasons, some of which are understandable, some are not. Both sides of powerlifting are guilty of chest thumping.

I am also willing to bet a substantial amount of money that if there were a 6 lift meet consisting of raw s/b/d and geared s/b/d that we wouldn’t learn anything about who was actually the strongest because the geared guys would almost without a doubt win the geared event, and the raw guys would almost without a doubt win the raw event.

It would literally take years of training in each discipline to sort all of it out.

Anyway I didn’t mean to derail the thread.

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
Your attitude about your lifts suggests that you value other’s opinions of your lifts. If you were really a secure human being, you wouldn’t be upset if someone called you weak because your own opinion of them would be enough.
[/quote]

I lift in my garage and I rarely if ever, speak about lifting to anyone. Even when people ask me for workout advice I say very little. My point was that I bust my ass for every ounce on the bar, for my own benefit. I care not what other lift or do. I just get tired of people bashing geared lifters and I get tired of the fucking raw only camps.

But I hear ya man. Sorry for my attitude, and it wasn’t directed at you per se’. This raw vs geared shit really gets under my skin. FWIW I haven’t been i a bench shirt or squat suit in 2 years. It’s just people who have never lifted equipped need to keep quiet about such things because they have no fk’n clue. Their uneducated “opinions” mean shit, because they cannot speak from first hand experience. They might as well give tactical advice to Special forces because they have played call of duty or some shit.

[/quote]

Well there is nothing wrong with being in the Clint Darden camp (garage gym, geared box squats, etc), but my big thing is that there is no “Raw vs. Gear” as they don’t compete with each other in the same meet.

I do believe that Raw guys can learn from geared lifters. The more I read and explore programming, the more I believe that westside might be one of the best training methods ever made for both geared and raw lifters.

Understanding why someone would use a band, chain, box, board, etc. can add valuable training information to any lifters basic understanding of the sport.

For example, looking at weak points with creativity can be eye opening. I listened to Dave Tate talk about assistance for a stalled bench press. The guy said that he was stuck in the mid range. Dave just started spilling knowledge of elbow positions (rotation, flexion, and angles relative to torso/shoulder, levers), assistance in those positions, and selecting the one with the most carryover to the individual asking the question.

Even though I have never even put on a weightlifting belt, all of these things can add valuable tools to my repertoire.

Even if I never use this information, knowing it exists can change how I make my decisions.

An example of this in my own training is that I have a few rowing movements I love. They are Kroc rows, t-bar rows, Pendlay rows, and chest supported row. I was doing Kroc rows, Pendlay rows, and chest supported row for ever. They stalled. I kept doing them for the next several months. No progress. One day I decided I would give swapping them out a shot. I moved to Kroc rows and t-bar rows. I started light, focused on form and progressed. After several months, I stalled. Last week I decided that I was bored of them and pissed that they weren’t moving at all. I ended up doing a set of Pendlay rows with 50 more lbs than I stopped doing them with. Better form, better range of motion.

I guess I just want people to realize that everyone can learn from one another. There doesn’t have to be a this or that.

If you are raw and you use a slingshot, you didn’t bitch out. You just used a tool.

If geared guys drop the bench shirt for a few weeks and it helps them, then so be it. They didn’t bitch out or turn into one of those awful raw lifters either.

My only gripe with each camp is the judging seems to be a bit less strict with squatting in geared competitions for various reasons, some of which are understandable, some are not. Both sides of powerlifting are guilty of chest thumping.

I am also willing to bet a substantial amount of money that if there were a 6 lift meet consisting of raw s/b/d and geared s/b/d that we wouldn’t learn anything about who was actually the strongest because the geared guys would almost without a doubt win the geared event, and the raw guys would almost without a doubt win the raw event.

It would literally take years of training in each discipline to sort all of it out.[/quote]

that tate elbow comment was fucking hilarious. i mean i like dave, but that is the definition of overthinking things. powerlifitng is not rocket science or quantum physics. guys half his weight have been benching more, since benching was invented, raw, without ever going into that much detail on their fucking elbow angle and whether they should have reverse band nipple clamps. i used to think like you, that westside was da bestside, and then realised id wasted about 2 years of my life fucking around with stuff that made minimal impact.first in learning the system,and yes i catered to my own needs, picked lifts that all built my main lifts, etc.

Geared lifting is a turn off to the sport even for an avid lifter like myself. It’s like going to a baseball game and having to watch a real baseball game and then a game where instead of a wooden bat they use a hydraulically activated one that instead of swinging the “batter” just has to resist the force of the hydraulic activator, and the pitcher is a gets to use a sling shot, and instead of playing defense there are just areas of the park that count as outs if the ball lands in them. Basically, it isn’t baseball at all.

The geared squat is a completely different lift than the raw version, same with the bench. Which means geared guys don’t actually bench or squat. If you aren’t benching or squatting, it isn’t powerlifting. If you enjoy geared lifting, more power to you. I’m not trying to stop anyone. But it doesn’t fit the definition of powerlifting.

As an aside, I think there is a much simpler reason for the fall of geared lifting. Geared lifters are starting to realize the next generation is going to get better gear and beat all their records and accomplishments whether they are stronger or not. Geared lifting is more like stock car racing. The only real accomplishment is relative to current peers. Absolute numbers are meaningless in a sport defined heavily by technology, equipment, and regulation. No one knows or talks about how fast Richard Petty?s best Daytona ET was. There are too many qualifications for anyone to really make any call on the absolute merit of such a number. But, that flies in the face of the powerlifting mentality, which is all about the absolute numbers.

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

It would literally take years of training in each discipline to sort all of it out.[/quote]

that tate elbow comment was fucking hilarious. i mean i like dave, but that is the definition of overthinking things. powerlifitng is not rocket science or quantum physics. guys half his weight have been benching more, since benching was invented, raw, without ever going into that much detail on their fucking elbow angle and whether they should have reverse band nipple clamps. i used to think like you, that westside was da bestside, and then realised id wasted about 2 years of my life fucking around with stuff that made minimal impact.first in learning the system,and yes i catered to my own needs, picked lifts that all built my main lifts, etc.[/quote]

I don’t think you read my post as thoroughly as I wrote it.

For the record I don’t currently run westside, but I do try to incorporate the relevant methodology to my training.

I do believe that everyone’s westside is supposed to be different, and that is why it works. Westside, I am finding, is more like guidelines and principles. Not a program per se.

As for the Dave Tate comment…you can take it and write it off as overthinking and ignore it, or you can look at what he is trying to tell you and try to understand what it is he is getting at. I don’t think that you will ever get weaker from understanding multiple ways of doing things. And, who knows. You may need that information later on down the road.

From what I hear advanced lifters talk about very often is that you will constantly be learning a lift throughout your career. Several people have said that their form even changed as their body weight changed.

You can always learn. Even if the person is telling you things that you know are dead wrong. Look at it as learning how to not do things.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
As an aside, I think there is a much simpler reason for the fall of geared lifting. Geared lifters are starting to realize the next generation is going to get better gear and beat all their records and accomplishments whether they are stronger or not. Geared lifting is more like stock car racing. The only real accomplishment is relative to current peers. Absolute numbers are meaningless in a sport defined heavily by technology, equipment, and regulation.[/quote]
I think there are many reasons, but that’s actually one I had never considered. Very interesting; makes a lot of sense. You know that’s one thing that’s always bugged me with raw lifting. Nobody thinks anymore about back in the old days people used to have 2 hour weigh ins. 24 hour weigh ins are the norm now; hell I’ve heard of a 48 hour weigh in! You’ve got guys going after records in the 220lb weight class walking around at like 250 the week before and competing at close to that weight once they rehydrate.

And I really hate how for a period of time there was just single ply only. So Ed Coan wears the same loose, shitty squat suit for 10 years and benches and deadlifts raw and his records go in the “single ply” category; probably only like 50lbs more than he would have totaled raw lol.

I guess it’s not as big a deal as I make it out to be though. I mean anyone who really knows anything about powerlifting should know all that anyhow.

Sorry trivium, that was adressed to strengthdawg! i was mainly adressing the dave tate thing. it was just absurd, ill try and find the quote. i would say there is probably about 20-30 worthwhile exercises for powerlifting, the other 1000000 are normally pretty worthless

“People are “gear queer” in this country.”

this is a matter of degrees. how many people have you tried to explain powerlifing equipment to? if you tell them the truth and say that guys get 200-400+ pounds out of a shirt or suit, in a good few cases doubling their lifts, they respond “why? thats retarded? its not them lifting the weight.” which is TRUE. if gear was “oh they get 20 pounds out of it, its for safety and joint health” noone would give a fuck

i think we can all agree that we should do whatever we like to do. if that’s raw powerlifting, awesome. if it’s geared, cool. in the end, there will be very few people that will care if you totaled elite or not.

@ Csulli

apparently guys DID do extreme cuts, even with 2 hour weighins. ed coan was 1 pound away from pulling his 181 deadlift of 791, at 165. he was 166 at weighins, and by the time he lifted he was i think around 180ish. i was the same about 24hour weighins before i heard that haha.

[quote]Paul33 wrote:
“People are “gear queer” in this country.”

this is a matter of degrees. how many people have you tried to explain powerlifing equipment to? if you tell them the truth and say that guys get 200-400+ pounds out of a shirt or suit, in a good few cases doubling their lifts, they respond “why? thats retarded? its not them lifting the weight.” which is TRUE. if gear was “oh they get 20 pounds out of it, its for safety and joint health” noone would give a fuck [/quote]

The competition is to see who can put up the biggest total using specific equipment. It has nothing to do with strength. This point is lost on pretty much every raw zealot out there.

[quote]grettiron wrote:

The competition is to see who can put up the biggest total using specific equipment. It has nothing to do with strength. This point is lost on pretty much every raw zealot out there. [/quote]

lifting weights isnt about strength? fucking hell thats a new one! i think alot of basic logic is lost on most geared zealots.it misleads people, and yes,everyone falls for this when you start out. the only person ive heard qualify their lifts as multiply is mark bell. everyone else says " i bench 900 pounds" no you fucking dont. lifitng weights should be about strength. that is the exact same mindset that could be applied to squatting high as fuck. NAH MAN ITS ABOUT MOVING THE MOST WEIGHT.

actually, looking at your 595x2 vid, you probably apply that mindset as well.

Apart from troll attempts, I think the multiply “hating” (across the Internet) can be reduced to the simple notion of “giving credit where credit is due”. Same goes for all the other admittedly tiring “debates” such as Enhanced BBers/PLers VS natties, IPF depth squats VS SPF quarter squats, Dopers/Cheats VS non-dopers, etc.

Naturally, the people “in the know” have a pretty accurate understanding of how impressive certain performances are under whatever condition (raw, raw w\ wraps, singleply, multiply, natty, enhanced, extreme talent, etc.). And the more you know, the less vocal you feel you have to be when people misrepresent their own and other accomplishments.

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:

The competition is to see who can put up the biggest total using specific equipment. It has nothing to do with strength. This point is lost on pretty much every raw zealot out there. [/quote]

lifting weights isnt about strength? fucking hell thats a new one! i think alot of basic logic is lost on most geared zealots.it misleads people, and yes,everyone falls for this when you start out. the only person ive heard qualify their lifts as multiply is mark bell. everyone else says " i bench 900 pounds" no you fucking dont. lifitng weights should be about strength. that is the exact same mindset that could be applied to squatting high as fuck. NAH MAN ITS ABOUT MOVING THE MOST WEIGHT.[/quote]

Powerlifting competition isn’t about strength. Nice try.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Apart from troll attempts, I think the multiply “hating” (across the Internet) can be reduced to the simple notion of “giving credit where credit is due”. Same goes for all the other admittedly tiring “debates” such as Enhanced BBers/PLers VS natties, IPF depth squats VS SPF quarter squats, Dopers/Cheats VS non-dopers, etc.

Naturally, the people “in the know” have a pretty accurate understanding of how impressive certain performances are under whatever condition (raw, raw w\ wraps, singleply, multiply, natty, enhanced, extreme talent, etc.). And the more you know, the less vocal you feel you have to be when people misrepresent their own and other accomplishments.[/quote]
This is gospel.