XPC 2014

[quote]Paul33 wrote:
noone cares about multiply any more
[/quote]

While Mr. Paul is way too emotionally involved with the issue, looking at it neutrally multiply really seems to have taken a serious hit in terms of popularity WITHIN the PLing circle, no?

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:
[/quote]

While Mr. Paul is way too emotionally involved with the issue, looking at it neutrally multiply really seems to have taken a serious hit in terms of popularity WITHIN the PLing circle, no?[/quote]

My humble opinion is that a lot of the geared guys are just looking for a break from lifting in gear. Squatting 1200 is a lot of freaking weight no matter how you look at it. Lifters eventually have to get stronger RAW in order to keep increasing their geared totals.

I wouldn’t say the popularity has dwindled, just taht there’s been a shift in people’s focus. Marshall Johnson went back to Single ply to get stronger there so he could get stronger in multiply.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:
[/quote]

While Mr. Paul is way too emotionally involved with the issue, looking at it neutrally multiply really seems to have taken a serious hit in terms of popularity WITHIN the PLing circle, no?[/quote]

My humble opinion is that a lot of the geared guys are just looking for a break from lifting in gear. Squatting 1200 is a lot of freaking weight no matter how you look at it. Lifters eventually have to get stronger RAW in order to keep increasing their geared totals.
[/quote]
Hmm… I don’t really think that’s the case. I think it’s a pretty noticeable shift in interest. Most of the biggest names popularity wise in powerlifting right now are either exclusively raw or at least primarily raw at this point.

“I think that geared lifting will eventually become a relic of the past. The future is raw powerlifting in my opinion.”
-Andrey Malanichev

Not that I care though. I mean I don’t see why Paul33 felt the need to be such a massive jackass about it.

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:
rum 7 got over 45000 views on the livestream, animal and bsn are sponsoring people, and it seems like raw liftings starting to leak into the bodybuilding sphere. so thats bullshit. now people see that you can be strong as shit and not look like donnie thompson[/quote]

Do you have a sponsorship? How many people travel to see you lift?[/quote]

lol is this supposed to be an attack on me? youre the guy totalling less than 2000 in gear arent you? fuck me thats bad, considering how the gears gotten these days. if i dont deserve an opinion than neither do you. just because the sports been fucked up by weak people trying to inflate their numbers with gear, doesnt mean it has to stay fucked[/quote]

FWIW, there was a thread on here a while back with raw zealots claiming wild shit like you just did about “gear” and in this particular thread, people were attacking Matt Wenning. Saying shit like he prolly couldn’t squat 405 without his suit etc. Well guess who set a fucking world record for the 308’s at the RUM7???
Didn’t Mendelson hold the raw bench record as well as the geared bench record at the same time? Wasn’t it 705 / 1003 or some shit?
Yes the gear has gotten better but you still have to be strong to put up the numbers plus if I aint mistaken everyone in those meets is wearing / not wearing the shit so whats the fucking problem? [/quote]

I was wondering if Wenning set the record. I didn’t hear anything about it, and powelifting-watch hasn’t credited him with anything that I can see.[/quote]

Set a squat WR and totaled 2000+, but no total record. He did awesome. 8+ squat 6+ bench 7+ pull.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]Paul33 wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]
Hmm… I don’t really think that’s the case. I think it’s a pretty noticeable shift in interest. Most of the biggest names popularity wise in powerlifting right now are either exclusively raw or at least primarily raw at this point.

“I think that geared lifting will eventually become a relic of the past. The future is raw powerlifting in my opinion.”
-Andrey Malanichev

Not that I care though. I mean I don’t see why Paul33 felt the need to be such a massive jackass about it.[/quote]

x2 to everything you said.

I personally have nothing against gear.

I do have a major issue with how high the squatting seems to be these days.

I understand it is hard to get to below femurs parallel in gear, but I think that you should at least hit parallel. Some of the squats I see in videos are total Denver squats.

I also don’t understand why gear even came about.

And then there is the camp that says that the gear doesn’t do much, which I think is total BS.

Is it a different skill to learn to use the gear? Absolutely. Nobody is debating that.

Is it what the lifter is actually capable of lifting? I don’t know. Lets get some of these guys out of gear and find out.

I personally would like to see Malanichev take a few singles in gear. I am pretty sure that records would fall.

I think we are going to eventually see powerlifting be a much bigger sport. The UFC grew from grass roots, and small shows to a legitimate sport.

I have no reason to believe otherwise with PL.

I see it in my own gym. When I started training there, there was 2 of us who would say that we were more interested in our total than looking good. Now there are a lot of people who are getting more interested. I can think of 5 or 6 off the top of my head.

One thing I think that is helping the sport as a whole is the fact that people are seeing guys like Dan Green. He is shredded, and pretty much the baddest man alive when it comes to the strength game.

This post goes along with my last one.

Which one do you think the general public will want to watch?

A)

B)

And then there is stuff like this.

In real sports, stuff this obvious doesn’t even happen.

These instances are barriers to gathering people’s interest and establishing it as a legitimate sport. Well, that and the fact that there isn’t one big federation to end all federations (like the NFL, MLB, or NHL to name a few). Look at boxing. Why do you think boxing isn’t as popular as MMA?

Ok enough thread derailing for now.

Sorry OP.

[quote]trivium wrote:

A)

B)

Neither honestly. Maybe as youtube clips, yeah, but not in a meet.

[quote]trivium wrote:
Which one do you think the general public will want to watch?[/quote]

The “General pubic” doesn’t give a fuck about powerlifting, raw , geared, crossfit, oly lifting,strongman, bodybuilding, bobsledding, curling, or any anything else remotely fitness related. I mean have you seen what the “general public” looks like? come on man…

look everyone has hobbies they like to see get advanced. Do yourself a favor and Stop projecting your interests on others in such a fashion. It only will get you worked up for no reason.

Besides if I can squat 585 raw and 725 in a suit am I any less of a lifter? no, and if someone shit talked me in person, I’d prolly sock em in the mouth for doing it. Those numbers may suck in the scheme of things but for me they mean alot, I busted my ass for those. Besides, none of you fuckers running your mouths are prolly on the cover of Powerlifting USA so you got room for improvement too.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

A)

B)

Neither honestly. Maybe as youtube clips, yeah, but not in a meet.
[/quote]

lots of powerlifting comps used to have thousands of people attend,some would have musicians in between flights for entertainment,and if you cut out all the shit lifters by having high qualifying totals, i guarantee more people would be interested and attend. i never understood the mindset of DUURRRHH ITS NOT POPULAR SO IT WILL NEVER BE POPULAR

[quote]trivium wrote:

The “General pubic” doesn’t give a fuck about powerlifting, raw , geared, crossfit, oly lifting,strongman, bodybuilding, bobsledding, curling, or any anything else remotely fitness related. I mean have you seen what the “general public” looks like? come on man…

look everyone has hobbies they like to see get advanced. Do yourself a favor and Stop projecting your interests on others in such a fashion. It only will get you worked up for no reason.

Besides if I can squat 585 raw and 725 in a suit am I any less of a lifter? no, and if someone shit talked me in person, I’d prolly sock em in the mouth for doing it. Those numbers may suck in the scheme of things but for me they mean alot, I busted my ass for those. Besides, none of you fuckers running your mouths are prolly on the cover of Powerlifting USA so you got room for improvement too.

[/quote]

http://lofifly.com/wp-content/uploads/Inter-tough-guy-April.jpg

noone is actually talking about “the general public”, if powerlifting could be as popular as crossfit or bodybuilding,that would be about 20 times more popularity than it has now. fucking hell, powerlifting is ten times cooler than bodybuilding, and has the potential to make you look just as good. theres huge potential for it but it will no doubt be ruined by idiots

We will have to agree to disagree.

We will have to agree to disagree.[/quote]

it has just as much potential as crossfit or bodybuilding, which are both doing 10x better

[quote]trivium wrote:

[/quote]

The general public does have interest in strength sports.

I do think that there is a lot of potential for growth in mainstream media. Just look at the UFC. It has gone mainstream. Strongman and highland games events are on TV all the time. Derek Poundstone, Bill Kazmaier, and Zydrunas Savickas are household names where I am from.

Nobody was worked up, and nobody is pushing their hobbies on others either. That occurred in your own reading of the posts. In your defense, I do suspect some of the posts were made to troll responses like yours.

This is a powerlifting forum. People are going to talk about such things. If it bothers you, then just move on man. There’s no need to get all fired up for nothing.

Your attitude about your lifts suggests that you value other’s opinions of your lifts. If you were really a secure human being, you wouldn’t be upset if someone called you weak because your own opinion of them would be enough.

If you read the posts I made, I even said that I would like to see raw guys go geared, and geared guys go raw, as I feel that both are relevant. Is it against the rules to want to watch the best of the best compete against one another?

The problem here is that as soon as you mention one in the same sentence as the other, people get all outraged and start chest thumping like a bunch of fucking idiots. It is like reading comprehension literally goes out the window and people resort to the same stupid shit that has been going on since I have been reading this website/forum 8 years ago. (Yes I lurked for a hell of a long time.)

That, and attitudes like the one you just displayed are perfect examples of the kind of stuff that keeps a barrier between people who lift and everyone else. It is even the reason that there are barriers between geared and raw lifters.

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

it has just as much potential as crossfit or bodybuilding, which are both doing 10x better[/quote]

Again, I do not see us seeing eye to eye on this issue.

[quote]trivium wrote:
Your attitude about your lifts suggests that you value other’s opinions of your lifts. If you were really a secure human being, you wouldn’t be upset if someone called you weak because your own opinion of them would be enough.
[/quote]

I lift in my garage and I rarely if ever, speak about lifting to anyone. Even when people ask me for workout advice I say very little. My point was that I bust my ass for every ounce on the bar, for my own benefit. I care not what other lift or do. I just get tired of people bashing geared lifters and I get tired of the fucking raw only camps.

But I hear ya man. Sorry for my attitude, and it wasn’t directed at you per se’. This raw vs geared shit really gets under my skin. FWIW I haven’t been i a bench shirt or squat suit in 2 years. It’s just people who have never lifted equipped need to keep quiet about such things because they have no fk’n clue. Their uneducated “opinions” mean shit, because they cannot speak from first hand experience. They might as well give tactical advice to Special forces because they have played call of duty or some shit.

The note at the beginning of the Hoff video posted here really says it all.

Do what you love to do for you and no one else. I know Hoff could care less what anyone thinks of him or his lifting. Same as Dan Green could care less about what people think of him or his lifting. Both do it because they love it.

We should be no different. After all, we are talking about lifting weights. In the grand scheme of things, who cares? This is all immature pissing back and forth over something that in the end is done for many reasons - none of which are life and death (or at least shouldn’t be.)

Fact is, who cares what I lift or what you lift? Do this for the reasons you set out to do them and stick to it. All the other noise is just noise.

I’m not speaking to anyone particular here so don’t take this as a personal attack.

As for the popularity thing, I’d much rather watch Olympic style weightlifting than any other strength sport. Much more entertaining and certainly a tougher skill to master.

[quote]Paul33 wrote:

it has just as much potential as crossfit or bodybuilding, which are both doing 10x better[/quote]

Humor me and tell me how many meets you’ve lifted in and what your numbers are like. How long have you been involved in the sport and when does your blog & e-book come out?

For those that think powerlifting will ever be main stream, I’d love to agree with you but I just can’t.

If you’ve ever travelled to a meet to watch, you’d know how unbelievably boring it is. I mean seriously. Even if you’re familiar with the lifters & their back story – it’s like watching paint dry to watch a full meet. It’s just not that interesting – raw or geared.

If you’re going to reply to this and tell me I’m wrong – tell me which meets you’ve gone to and tell me how much fun you had there.

[quote]frankjl wrote:
For those that think powerlifting will ever be main stream, I’d love to agree with you but I just can’t.

If you’ve ever travelled to a meet to watch, you’d know how unbelievably boring it is. I mean seriously. Even if you’re familiar with the lifters & their back story – it’s like watching paint dry to watch a full meet. It’s just not that interesting – raw or geared.

If you’re going to reply to this and tell me I’m wrong – tell me which meets you’ve gone to and tell me how much fun you had there.[/quote]

100% agree. Even when I’m competing, I’m ready for the day to be done. I’ve stated basically what you’ve said on another forum and it was met w/ opposition, but it doesn’t make it any less true.

Most of the feds I lift in have all these pity awards (Yes, I have some…lol). But all in all, just give awards to the top 5 lifters regardless of weight/age by some formula and end it. The scoring takes forever. If we get done at a decent time and the drive home isn’t very long, I’ll wait, but otherwise, C-YA! I compete to break PR’s, not receive awards.