Why Use Steroids?

jsbrook,

While I am not trying to be a prick, I feel that I must point out that when you make a claim such as:

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
But there are people that ruined their lives or at least caused themselves serious problems because of steroid use. I’ve known a few. [/quote]

then once you are asked for details you reply:

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Well, I don’t know anyone who personally ruined there lives from steroids. [/quote]

you are just another source of misinformation about steroids and their use. Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but as much as you frequent this board I would think that you would be better informed about steroids, their possible side-effects, and their use.

BTW, I would guess you have not used steroids and it is my opinion that some of your views on this topic are whacked and way off base.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Always thought it was funny that cigarettes and booze are legal. But steroids are not. Ironic.[/quote]

Yeah, and what about the most abused performance enhancing drug ever: caffeine. :slight_smile:

I don’t know about birth control… I managed to do alright while on a test bold stack, the result was my daughter.

[quote]DRG wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Well, I don’t know anyone who personally ruined there lives from steroids.

you are just another source of misinformation about steroids and their use. Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but as much as you frequent this board I would think that you would be better informed about steroids, their possible side-effects, and their use.

BTW, I would guess you have not used steroids and it is my opinion that some of your views on this topic are whacked and way off base.
[/quote]

I wasn’t going to comment on this since I don’t have the tact to handle it the way you did, DRG.

But - it is painfully obvious that jsbrook is trying to sound knowledgable, and give his educated opinion on a subject he knows nothing about. It is people like this, coupled with the idiots that are doing 2 grams of test a week with absolutely no idea of what they are doing, that have given fodder to the anti-steroid climate we are currently in.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Wideguy, you make good points. But there are people that ruined their lives or at least caused themselves serious problems because of steroid use. I’ve known a few. Not everybody has done the research and determined what appropriate cycles and proper PCT are the way you have and everyone should. But it begs the question whether the law should be used as an instrument to protect people from themselves. And there’s no easy answer. In many instances we will use the law this way. But in other cases, we will leave people, as autonomous individuals with free agency, to make their own mistakes. One clue is that we make conduct illegal that we think will be particularly abused by children and adolescents. And there is the idea that inapproriate steroid use is too compelling to adolescent athletes. I’m personally not sure whether legalization with solid regulation would lead to more abuse or not.[/quote]

Where I am from steroids are legal for personal use and there seems to be much less abuse than else where I have been.

Don’t think it would work in the US though.

[quote]DRG wrote:
jsbrook,

While I am not trying to be a prick, I feel that I must point out that when you make a claim such as:

jsbrook wrote:
But there are people that ruined their lives or at least caused themselves serious problems because of steroid use. I’ve known a few.

then once you are asked for details you reply:

jsbrook wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve known people who have had some health problems because of nonjudicious steroid use. Also people who were kicked off a teams because their steroid use was discovered. This dramatically affected their lives in a negative why. I should have been more clear about knowing people who have actually ‘ruined their lives’. Personally, I do not.

[quote]honkie wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Wideguy, you make good points. But there are people that ruined their lives or at least caused themselves serious problems because of steroid use. I’ve known a few. Not everybody has done the research and determined what appropriate cycles and proper PCT are the way you have and everyone should. But it begs the question whether the law should be used as an instrument to protect people from themselves. And there’s no easy answer. In many instances we will use the law this way. But in other cases, we will leave people, as autonomous individuals with free agency, to make their own mistakes. One clue is that we make conduct illegal that we think will be particularly abused by children and adolescents. And there is the idea that inapproriate steroid use is too compelling to adolescent athletes. I’m personally not sure whether legalization with solid regulation would lead to more abuse or not.

Where I am from steroids are legal for personal use and there seems to be much less abuse than else where I have been.

Don’t think it would work in the US though.
[/quote]

I’m curious. Why not? Do you think it’s just a cultural difference? People who grew up with minimal restricitons on alcohol use (underage) in other countries tend to have a a healthier relationship towards alcohol. Do you also feel that a similarly more liberal alcohol policy would fail here?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
DRG wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

I wasn’t going to comment on this since I don’t have the tact to handle it the way you did, DRG.

But - it is painfully obvious that jsbrook is trying to sound knowledgable, and give his educated opinion on a subject he knows nothing about. It is people like this, coupled with the idiots that are doing 2 grams of test a week with absolutely no idea of what they are doing, that have given fodder to the anti-steroid climate we are currently in.

[/quote]

Or are the very reason that there are laws illegalizing steroids in the first place. Because such people exist. And there are a lot of them.

I personally have done some but minimal research into steroids. But I know enough to say that most people on this site do their homework before deciding to use. I think there is the tendency here to assume that the majority of users do as well. Why is that necessarily the case? Is there any real evidence as to the percentage of users who use wisely? Or reason to think the restriction makes this more or less likely?

i like it to being a “hobby” of sorts. the research on nutrition, training, seeing what works and what doesn’t. the feeling of getting real results faster, trying to keep them, that feeling and look of power, some vanity i guess. i used to drink n smoke n all that. ive never been healthier since trying gear.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Or are the very reason that there are laws illegalizing steroids in the first place. Because such people exist. And there are a lot of them.
[/quote]

What do you define as “a lot”?

Anecdotal evidence should hardly be the standard.

From here and on other boards, I know of probably 40 or so folks that research extensively, weight the risks, and proceed with AAS use in a very calculated manner. So if we are going to base our positions on anecdotal evidence, the judicious, well educated users of AAS outnumber the idiots in my experience.

You never hearof the smart guys that use. You only hear news reports about the idiots that misused.

Personally, I think you are acting like the witch-hunters. Armed with just enough knowledge to be dangerous, you think you have a handle on what goes on in a world you know nothing about.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

What do you define as “a lot”?

Anecdotal evidence showould hardly be the standard.

From here and on other boards, I know of probably 40 or so folks that research extensively, weight the risks, and proceed with AAS use in a very calculated manner. So if we are going to base our positions on anecdotal evidence, the judicious, well educated users of AAS outnumber the idiots in my experience.

You never hearof the smart guys that use. You only hear news reports about the idiots that misused.

Personally, I think you are acting like the witch-hunters. Armed with just enough knowledge to be dangerous, you think you have a handle on what goes on in a world you know nothing about.

[/quote]

I don’t define anything as a lot. I’m not defining anything at all. I’m not knowedgeable enough on the issue. But I don’t a lot of people here are either. People assume that because they and the like-minded serious lifters they know approach steroid use intelligently, that is what most people who use also do. It’s a natural assumption that applies to everything.

We are largely limited by our perspective. Chances are you’re not gonna know personally or know about high school or college athletes abusing steroids or how prevalent use or abuse is. It doesn’t relate to your own experience. If the evidence is out there, either way, I would like to see it. If evidence could be presented to Congress that abuse, particularly among young athletes, was actually very small, I think it would go a a long way towards legalization. I’m not sure that even if the evidence was compelling enough, it would accomplish this however. Steroids have been demonized. And it’s hard to remove the stigma of something that’s been demonized even when all logic mandates it.

I’ve seen an adundance of ignorance from the anti-steroid lobby. But I haven’t seen the kind of compelling evidence and arguments that would POTENTIALLY make them see the light (or at least would a reasonable person). It doesn’t mattter that steroids can be used intelligently in a way that greatly minimizes potential harm. It doesn’t even matter that a large percentage of users DO use intelligently.

What might matter and what SHOULD matter is that the abuse is minimal, and particularly, that it’s minimal in the class of people who we are seeking to protect. Maybe that evidence is out there. If it is, I would like to be pointed to it. And if it is, it should be heavily stressed.

These people have goals and they want to achieve them.AT ALL COST.Peace.

Biscuite

[quote]biscuite wrote:
These people have goals and they want to achieve them.AT ALL COST.Peace.

Biscuite[/quote]

What people?

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I personally have done some but minimal research into steroids. [/quote]

Then why are you participating in a thread with the subject: “Why Use Steroids?”

This is a topic about which you admit to having minimal knowledge.

So far there are 53 posts on this thread and about 10 of them are from you. What is your point? Be heard at all costs?

[quote]DRG wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
I personally have done some but minimal research into steroids.

Then why are you participating in a thread with the subject: “Why Use Steroids?”

So far there are 53 posts on this thread and about 10 of them are from you. What is your point? Be heard at all costs?
[/quote]

Ok, so I’ll shut about it then. But it doesn’t mean my last post wasn’t valid or that there isn’t some perspective that can be gained from people who haven’t done steroids that responsible users just overlook by virtue of thinking everyone who uses is like them. But point taken; I’m done. Discuss amongst yourselves.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
DRG wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
I personally have done some but minimal research into steroids.

Ok, so I’ll shut about it then. But it doesn’t mean my last post wasn’t valid or that there isn’t some perspective that can be gained from people who haven’t done steroids that responsible users just overlook by virtue of thinking everyone who uses is like them. But point taken; I’m done. Discuss amongst yourselves.[/quote]

for the most part, users on this board are educated AND responsible. so saying that not all users are responsible and take the time to educate themselves is a worthless contribution when you consider who the question was posed to.

shut the fuck up already!..I’m an asshole, and totally approve this message.

Bro my point is that the main reason NOT to do steroids (here in the US) is because it’s illegal. Our government thinks they are dangerous. You seem to think it’s possible that they are right. Your arguement is that there would be a good number of people who would use them irresponsibly. You think that number would be ANYWHERE near the number of people who die from alcohol related deaths? NO FUCKING WAY.END of story.

[quote]WideGuy wrote:
Bro my point is that the main reason NOT to do steroids (here in the US) is because it’s illegal. Our government thinks they are dangerous. You seem to think it’s possible that they are right. Your arguement is that there would be a good number of people who would use them irresponsibly. You think that number would be ANYWHERE near the number of people who die from alcohol related deaths? NO FUCKING WAY.END of story.[/quote]

Fair enough. But the number of people who use alcohol is exponentially higher. You can’t just compare numbers. The percentage of abusers out of the total users of both is the important thing. If the percentage of those who use steroids irresponsibly out of the total number of users is quite high than I would suport them being illegal. I don’t know that this is case. I’m just saying that if there was some hard data that could be presented such as on this site that the risks are relatively minimal when approahced the right way and ALSO that out of total users, the percentage who use irresponsibly is quite small, I think it would go a long way.

It’s arguably not the place of law to protect people from themselves in the first place. But that’s exactly what is sometimes done and justified by lawmakers for various reasons, and this is one of those cases.

I can see your point bro and I agree that you can’ cross refference statistics on two entirely different things ie. booze and juice. Still just the fact that to even get results from steriods you have to eat, train, and get some rest. Plus you have to do all these things regularly. Otherwise they really don’t do shit. That’s not the case with all of these other substances. You get immediate gratification no matter how much of a weak willed lazy sack of shit you are. Anyway I’m getting way off the point so I’ll stop there. Good question though.