Why Squatting ATG is Safer Than Parallel

I’m not sure which is sadder…the OP, or the responding badasses who, in turn, feel the need to talk shit about anyone who squats ATG, as though it’s some kind of crutch.

I will never understand why people care how others squat.

[quote]bcingu wrote:
I’m not sure which is sadder…the OP, or the responding badasses who, in turn, feel the need to talk shit about anyone who squats ATG, as though it’s some kind of crutch.

I will never understand why people care how others squat.[/quote]

I think your sarcasm detector is broken. No one cares and they’re making fun of the OP’s dumb little list.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
…[/quote]

What’s the original quote?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Pretty sure that was a trolljob…

[/quote]

yup

I think a full squat is easier than parallel. There is somethng about stopping right at paralell that sends a shock wave of pain through my legs and makes my quads feel like they are going to tear. Going lower seems to cushion the reversal more.

I literally just saw this and was wondering where to post it… I guess here is as good as any

[quote]Otep wrote:

What’s the original quote?[/quote]

There wasn’t one. I just made it up.

Give it a try! Meme Generator

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:

[quote]kanew wrote:
I dislike the original post purely on the lack of capital letters.

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:
haha, this is awesome. 99% of people that squat “atg” don’t even get to parallel. ATG is one of those internet warrior terms guys use to justify why they squat 1/4 of what guys in meets do.[/quote]

I’m in the remaining 1% then. My hamstrings have to rest on my calves or its not a rep. [/quote]

Hamstrings hitting calves has NOTHING to do with being below parallel. If I let my knees drift forward enough, I can touch my hamstrings and calves but I’ll still well above parallel. I honestly think it’s the most common squat technique in commercial gyms because it only uses your quads.
[/quote]

If that’s legitimate then either you have some amazing calf flexibility or you are squatting on the tip of your toes.
Either way; personally, with knees bent and heels on the floor at full calf stretch my shins are at about 45 degrees(I don’t have amazing calf flexibility); therefore when my hamstrings rest on my calves my arse is as close as its going to get to the ground while my feet are planted.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Why squatting parallel is fucking awesome:
11) it’s much harder to die with less weight on your back
[/quote]

YES!

This thread amuses me.

Also, I don’t think half of you actually know what a parallel squat looks like. It is most definitely possible for your hamstrings to touch your calves and still be well above parallel.

Haven’t really thought about my hamstrings touching my calves. Something to put my mind on tomorrow.

Parallel is just a good benchmark for a competition so that everybody gets judged the same. However, the further you go down, the more badass you are.

christ could someone but a bullet in this thread already.I think majority of people whoes been training more then a hand full of years will tell you as long as the hip joint is below the knee line its a freaking squat.And why the hell is there even a debate in a powerlifting forum in the first freaking Place.This is for the little Troll that got this thread going.Little advice ok.Unless you have at least 10 years under a bar or have lifted in a few meets you arent a freaking expert your not a Bill Starr,Louie Simmons a Dave Tate or any number of well known guys.Hell there guys that post here who hold state ,Nation and even world records holders. So next time you post something you might not come on this site and act like a cocky s.o.b.Maybe you need to shut up a learn for others that have been there and done that.In other words your opinion is worth Dick.

And for people who say they NEVER go below parallel for whatever reason, that’s just an excuse.

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
christ could someone but a bullet in this thread already.I think majority of people whoes been training more then a hand full of years will tell you as long as the hip joint is below the knee line its a freaking squat.And why the hell is there even a debate in a powerlifting forum in the first freaking Place.This is for the little Troll that got this thread going.Little advice ok.Unless you have at least 10 years under a bar or have lifted in a few meets you arent a freaking expert your not a Bill Starr,Louie Simmons a Dave Tate or any number of well known guys.Hell there guys that post here who hold state ,Nation and even world records holders. So next time you post something you might not come on this site and act like a cocky s.o.b.Maybe you need to shut up a learn for others that have been there and done that.In other words your opinion is worth Dick.[/quote]

I take it you don’t squat ATG, nor you do give a shit.

[quote]toots27mkc wrote:

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
Nope dont realy give a shit.Could not realy care about a post by someone who just copyed his ideas from other sources. Ive done atg when i was younger.For what its worth when I do hit dept my hammies do hit my calves.I just dont care for some 18 year old acting all cocky about training when hasnt paid his dues yet.

By the way in most powerlifting feds you have to hit parallel or lower.USAPL Will damn near make you wipe your ass with the floor.

I squat all the way to the floor. Then I have someone take a picture. Then i put the bar down and go look at the picture to make sure I went low enough. Then i go put my ass back to the floor and put the bar on my back and complete the rep. THAT is how much I care about going below parallel.

or

I just squat around parallel cuz thats good too. And everyone knows quad extensions are what get you Hyooooge!

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
I think a full squat is easier than parallel. There is somethng about stopping right at paralell that sends a shock wave of pain through my legs and makes my quads feel like they are going to tear. Going lower seems to cushion the reversal more.[/quote]

I totally agree with this. I squat low basically because it feels much more comfortable for my knees, nothing to do with pretending to be a badass. Stopping and reversing the movement at parallel is much more stressful for the knees. I mean true parallel squat is stressful, knee joint is strongest in a fully flexed (atg squat) or almost fully extended position (1/4 squat). Parallel is where the joint is especially vulnerable to injury.

I bet most people who pretend that parallel squat is less stressful for their knee joint actually squat above parallel. The vast majority of people who pretend to squat atg in fact barely break parallel, those who pretend to squat to parallel actually do 1/4 squat.