Why Squatting ATG is Safer Than Parallel

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:
haha, this is awesome. 99% of people that squat “atg” don’t even get to parallel. ATG is one of those internet warrior terms guys use to justify why they squat 1/4 of what guys in meets do.[/quote]

This is so true it’s unbelievable. Every time I see 225 ATG RAW, I can be assured of some shitty form going halfway down.

the idea of the parellel squat in powerlifting is to minimise the distance needed to complete the lift, same as the arch during bench, while still going down far enough to justify it.
going atg in an olympic lift - ie the snatch - allows the lifter effeciency by getting deep under the bar so they can catch it better.
and stop trolling random non-entity ffs

Powerlifting style squatting, low bar with little forward knee travel lowers torque at the knee. narrow stance high bar with lots of forward knee travel increases knee stress. The reverse is true for back/hip stress.

Oh and LO freaking L at powerlifting squats not having as much hip/hamstring involvement.

Every fitness enthusiast, like this guy, needs to thrown into a big fire and burned for fuel. We are going to need a lot of them to catch up to the oil lost in that spill because most of these “people” only weigh 120lbs.

So:

Why squatting parallel is fucking awesome:

1. its the total opposite of what the asshole that started this thread does
  2. it counts in a meet
  3. if full range of motion really fucking mattered, your squat would end with you laying flat on the floor
  4. if full range of motion really fucking mattered, the asshole that started this thread would be the first 3000lb squatter.
  5. you cant get below parallel in gear
  6. it makes me bigger than the asshole that started this thread
  7. the asshole that started this thread has tom cruise as an avatar, probably the only person on earth that is a bigger asshole than him
  8. form is gay
  9. fundementals are a crutch for the talentless…
  10. you dont need to make lists about stupid shit you believe in because you are too busy planning your next squat cycle
  11. it’s much harder to die with less weight on your back
  12. you can do a circa max phase to a low box
  13. no matter how you squat, your deadlift is still going to suck

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
7) the asshole that started this thread has tom cruise as an avatar, probably the only person on earth that is a bigger asshole than him [/quote]
actually i think that’s the op in his avatar. although that doesn’t help his case in the least.

I have some pretty gnarley knees. Tore the meniscus in my right with chunks breaking off and getting under the knee cap and now even after surgery my patella doesn’t track right. I also have diagnosed severe tendonitis in my left knee. The tendonitis is from years of basketball, but I’ll believe until I die that my right knee problems stemmed from switching to ATG squats.

I had absoulutely no problems when squatting to parallel [or even 2" high] and got suckered into the “if you ain’t ATG you aint SHIT!” menatality and switched over. I eventually worked my way up to 315 for 5 at 170lbs and felt like that was pretty good, but all of a sudden my knees didn’t work like they used to. Everything was stiff and achey, and eventually one of 'em gave. I’m not saying that what happened to me will happen to everyone, but not all of us are built the same and can handle the same depths, grip widths, stance widths, etc… Now, if I hit even parallel my kness will ache for days but if I cut it about 2" high I’m fine. I loop a band around the back stands of a power rack and know where I need to be when my ass touches it. Any lower and my knee problems come roaring back. Moral of the story? Don’t give shitty, black and white advice or make gay lists.

Not to mention that people with poor flexibility can lose their lumbar arch (butt wink) going for “ATG”. Not so good for the lower back.

[quote]kanew wrote:
I dislike the original post purely on the lack of capital letters.

haha, this is awesome. 99% of people that squat “atg” don’t even get to parallel. ATG is one of those internet warrior terms guys use to justify why they squat 1/4 of what guys in meets do.[/quote]

I’m in the remaining 1% then. My hamstrings have to rest on my calves or its not a rep. [/quote]

Hamstrings hitting calves has NOTHING to do with being below parallel. If I let my knees drift forward enough, I can touch my hamstrings and calves but I’ll still well above parallel. I honestly think it’s the most common squat technique in commercial gyms because it only uses your quads.

Pretty sure that was a trolljob…

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Pretty sure that was a trolljob…

[/quote]

Guaranteed. He made it work pretty well too, look at all those top master elitist “pros” that had to voice how awesome they were by bashing what was supposed to be a newbie.

[quote]squidward wrote:
9.) do oly lifters ever have knee problems? no they just have problems when their arm snaps behind their head during snatches.
[/quote]

Uh, thrusting yourself into a full squat position with 400lbs on the bar will tear up your knees. That’s just the nature of the sport. The whole reason they catch the bar in a full squat position is because you can’t exactly pull 400lbs very high off the floor.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Ah, now I remember why I never read the PL forum…[/quote]

This retarded post has absolutely no place in the PL forum. MODS: can we get a move to some shithole abyss part of the site? Maybe a new subforum for Graveyard of Shitty Threads?[/quote]

I like that idea. Maybe one of the tech guys can make it so that class of 2010 can only post in the “graveyard”[/quote]
Damn, man. That’s actually quite a good idea. Some sites already do this.

[quote]stallion wrote:
7.) you obviously can’t do as much weight

That I guess is for many people reason number one. They are all a bunch of pussies brushing their egos. :slight_smile:

Good post![/quote]
I hope you and the OP bench with a cambered bar to your chest, and stand on a box to do your deadlifts. otherwise you’re just reducing the ROM to egotistically add weight

Well, I think the squat sucks anyway. With all the controversy surrounding it, it should be removed (same reason the Olympic press was removed). Squat depth, time issues, monolift vs. walkout, etc, etc. While we are at it, I petition for the bench press be abolished as well. Boring as hell for spectators, super arches, belly benching, the list of negatives is huge.

What does that leave? I believe all meets should start – and end, with the deadlift. A one lift meet not good enough? How about deadlift, deadlift, deadlift? Voila, 3 lifts. Ever notice how deadlift flights go faster than squats and benches? Well, it sure would be nice to go to a meet that wasn’t 800 thousand million hours long. My new proposed deadlift, deadlift, deadlift meet solves all.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Ever notice how deadlift flights go faster than squats and benches? [/quote]

That’s because everyone bombs out on squat and bench so there are usually only 8 guys left in the meet by the time deadlifts come around.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Well, I think the squat sucks anyway. With all the controversy surrounding it, it should be removed (same reason the Olympic press was removed). Squat depth, time issues, monolift vs. walkout, etc, etc. While we are at it, I petition for the bench press be abolished as well. Boring as hell for spectators, super arches, belly benching, the list of negatives is huge.

What does that leave? I believe all meets should start – and end, with the deadlift. A one lift meet not good enough? How about deadlift, deadlift, deadlift? Voila, 3 lifts. Ever notice how deadlift flights go faster than squats and benches? Well, it sure would be nice to go to a meet that wasn’t 800 thousand million hours long. My new proposed deadlift, deadlift, deadlift meet solves all.[/quote]

Nah, squat and bench are necessary. Squatting is warming up before the deadlift, and after warming up you need to rest on a bench a little before you deadlift.

(I’m quite sure I stole that from someone but don’t remember who…)

atg is possible in narrow stance. that is the maximum hip flexion you can hit while staying balanced. the more your bring your stance out, the higher this occurs. your hips are still doing the same ROM as in an atg squat, you just cant go as deep because you need the keep the bar over your heels. when you are trying to hit a max squat, you need to bring your stance out as wide as possible so that the max hip flexion occurs right at parallel

Hamstrings hitting calves has NOTHING to do with being below parallel. If I let my knees drift forward enough, I can touch my hamstrings and calves but I’ll still well above parallel. I honestly think it’s the most common squat technique in commercial gyms because it only uses your quads.
[/quote]

Please post a picture of this magical position you get into. I am both amazed and perplexed at this marvelous feat.

[quote]squidward wrote:
1.) when you stop at parallel, you are cutting off an exercise mid motion
2.) why are wall sits tough? because you are stuck in a parallel position
3.) when you stand up from a sticking point, it is easier to stand up with momentum
4.) ppl do more weight parallel than atg. heavier weight more often will lead to injuries. this is a result of form, from not going low enough
5.) atg allows hamstring and hip loading as opposed to knee loading.
6.) published report showing empirical data that displays safety of atg squats
7.) you obviously can’t do as much weight
8.) the majority of ppl who say i squat “x” weight do it between 1/4-1/2 squat
9.) do oly lifters ever have knee problems? no they just have problems when their arm snaps behind their head during snatches.
10.) when you take a shit in the field, you squat ass to grass. it is a natural movement.
11.) babies develop in the womb in fetal position. how often do they come out with knee injuries?
12.) http://www.youtube.com/user/lmercierdurso#p/a/u/1/YmAZiuWHqJc videos like this, where ppl put on way too much weight, put on a belt to look tough, then bend their knees.
13.) because i said so.
[/quote]

2010 Fail.