What's a Troll?

Can some one please tell me what a troll is? I’m a 47 yr old male,I been playing around with computers for a little while, but by no means am I an expert, I’m new to work out forums and I just seen this word. Thank You for any help.

Give us spaghetti and we will tell you.

Generally someone who posts a deliberately inflammatory/provocative/controversial/stupid topic or comment which they do not necessarily believe, for the sole purpose of creating argument, derailing a discussion and generally being a dick.

Google search can answer a lot of these “first world” questions for you (urban dictionary etc).

your mom

Something like that.

Am I the only one who watched that video and had an initial reaction of “Hm, pretty decent full squat, troll”?

[quote]SSC wrote:

Something like that.[/quote]

I feel like you’re saying “boy’s hole”, and it’s clearly “soul”.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/Headhunter

I thought that a troll would be one that stirred shit up on the internet but maynot genuinely believe all they say.

Then there are people that are just crude, stupid idiots that keep writing whatever comes into their head thanks to the anonymity they get online then they sound so stupid your brain assumes they must be trolling (and hopefully therefore not genuinely holding the insane beliefs)so as not to lose all faith in humanity.

There are some in the middle that say whatever will make them sound like a big tough guy that “tells it like it is even though some people can’t handle the truth” like HoustonGuy. They may be the worst, as a troll may be so nutty you can just laugh them off…they usually come in for the quick kill anyway…10 posts and they’re gone.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/Headhunter
[/quote]

LOL

Well played, Cortes!

The most honest answer I can give is that it’s a ‘shit stirrer’…though, what constitutues ‘shit’ & even what counts as ‘stirring’ is extremely contextual/debateable.

A person, vaguely playing ‘devils advocate’, ‘being a bit provocative’ etc may well be accused of being a troll…when in reality, their intentions may be as pure as the driven snow.

To my mind, the essence of trollery is: Generating conflict + a certain degree of malice. Anything else is just gold old-fashioned tomfoolery!!

A lot like the term ‘hater’, it’s a much over-used term IMO. Back when I first started using the interwebz, only the most notorious of shit stirrers werre accused of being the the ‘T’ word

People are getting way too sensitive nowadays…but hey…MAYBE I’M JUST TROLLIN!!!:slight_smile:

A troll is just some guy having fun, either maliciously or at his own cost

In the last few years, with the spreading of Internet culture to the mainstream, the term has been corrupted… these days, anyone acting like an idiot, asshole, or retard is a ‘troll’.

Back in the days, trolls were trolls, assholes were ‘flamers’ (outright insults are flaming, and different to trolling), and retards were retards.

Good trolling, be it malicious or not, takes a great mind.

I was bargaining for pots of spaghetti for all of us. But y’all had to go and ruin it by giving this info away for nothing.

THEY SEE ME TROLLIN’
THEY HATIN’
ePATROLIN’
THEY TRYN CATCH ME TROLLIN’ DIRTY

[quote]want2getlean wrote:

In the last few years, with the spreading of Internet culture to the mainstream, the term has been corrupted… these days, anyone acting like an idiot, asshole, or retard is a ‘troll’.

Back in the days, trolls were trolls, assholes were ‘flamers’ (outright insults are flaming, and different to trolling), and retards were retards.

Good trolling, be it malicious or not, takes a great mind. [/quote]

^This

Does anyone here even remember flamers or flaming? Most of the idiotic stuff posted here would file under that category.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

^This

Does anyone here even remember flamers or flaming? Most of the idiotic stuff posted here would file under that category.

[/quote]

Yea a flamer was easy to spot. Seem to be on gaming forums but i frequent them so i’m not too sure.

The OP could be a troll…

Thank’s to every one that help, I guess your never to old to learn.
Ct, how you want that sketti made?..lol. Spar, my mom pass…

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

^This

[/quote]
Flame wars. Had nothing to do with gays, aside from its use as a defamation. We hardly ever hear any of those terms anymore, do we?

I wonder how many of the posters here even know what usenet was, or rather, is. It is still a formidable, if not essential, tool for internet communication.

The real dinosaurs among us will remember “bulletin boards.”