What's a Troll?

[quote]Nards wrote:
I thought that a troll would be one that stirred shit up on the internet but maynot genuinely believe all they say.

Then there are people that are just crude, stupid idiots that keep writing whatever comes into their head thanks to the anonymity they get online then they sound so stupid your brain assumes they must be trolling (and hopefully therefore not genuinely holding the insane beliefs)so as not to lose all faith in humanity.

There are some in the middle that say whatever will make them sound like a big tough guy that “tells it like it is even though some people can’t handle the truth” like HoustonGuy. They may be the worst, as a troll may be so nutty you can just laugh them off…they usually come in for the quick kill anyway…10 posts and they’re gone.[/quote]

Where is that slimy troll HG anyway?

Baked with cheese

Cover it with pepperoni and crumbled turkey bacon and cottage cheese

Get to work

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Baked with cheese

Get to work [/quote]

I would love that right now. Fuck you Rock. Why you make me hungry?

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
I thought that a troll would be one that stirred shit up on the internet but maynot genuinely believe all they say.

Then there are people that are just crude, stupid idiots that keep writing whatever comes into their head thanks to the anonymity they get online then they sound so stupid your brain assumes they must be trolling (and hopefully therefore not genuinely holding the insane beliefs)so as not to lose all faith in humanity.

There are some in the middle that say whatever will make them sound like a big tough guy that “tells it like it is even though some people can’t handle the truth” like HoustonGuy. They may be the worst, as a troll may be so nutty you can just laugh them off…they usually come in for the quick kill anyway…10 posts and they’re gone.[/quote]

[/quote]

We’re not sure but we all think BootScootinBoogie (I think that’s the name) is HG with a new account.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/Headhunter
[/quote]

lol

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Baked with cheese

Get to work [/quote]

I would love that right now. Fuck you Rock. Why you make me hungry?[/quote]

Its what I do. Its all a plot to get you strung out on crack and sucking cocks.

This is step one.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

[quote]want2getlean wrote:
A troll is just some guy having fun, either maliciously or at his own cost

In the last few years, with the spreading of Internet culture to the mainstream, the term has been corrupted… these days, anyone acting like an idiot, asshole, or retard is a ‘troll’.

Back in the days, trolls were trolls, assholes were ‘flamers’ (outright insults are flaming, and different to trolling), and retards were retards.

Good trolling, be it malicious or not, takes a great mind. [/quote]

^This

Does anyone here even remember flamers or flaming? Most of the idiotic stuff posted here would file under that category.

[/quote]
Flame wars. Had nothing to do with gays, aside from its use as a defamation. We hardly ever hear any of those terms anymore, do we?

I wonder how many of the posters here even know what usenet was, or rather, is. It is still a formidable, if not essential, tool for internet communication.

The real dinosaurs among us will remember “bulletin boards.”
[/quote]

I remember being 8 years old in '97 when I think Bulletin Boards where like the pinnacle of online communities, lol

What is T-Nation then? I mean where we are right now?

I mean what is it technically called? A forum? I described it to a buddy a while ago as a bulletin board. Eeek…showing my age.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

In the last few years, with the spreading of Internet culture to the mainstream, the term has been corrupted… these days, anyone acting like an idiot, asshole, or retard is a ‘troll’.

Back in the days, trolls were trolls, assholes were ‘flamers’ (outright insults are flaming, and different to trolling), and retards were retards.

^This

Does anyone here even remember flamers or flaming? Most of the idiotic stuff posted here would file under that category.

[/quote]
Flame wars. Had nothing to do with gays, aside from its use as a defamation. We hardly ever hear any of those terms anymore, do we?

I wonder how many of the posters here even know what usenet was, or rather, is. It is still a formidable, if not essential, tool for internet communication.

[/quote]

Ahh, the days of the mid-80’s running an ASCII BBS from an MPP1000 modem and an Atari 800XL.

[quote]Nards wrote:

HG is currently battling Bane for the the soul of Gotham…

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[/quote]

We’re not sure but we all think BootScootinBoogie (I think that’s the name) is HG with a new account.[/quote]

I assumed that the new handle and ball-fondling avatar were the result of a lost bet (?)…

OP is trolling us, all the signs are there. Low post count, feigning naivete, asking an innocent question in seeming earnest. A perfect demonstration of subtle trolling. Not an obscene, offensive, blatant troll, but a mature, master troll.

[quote]grettiron wrote:
OP is trolling us, all the signs are there. Low post count, feigning naivete, asking an innocent question in seeming earnest. A perfect demonstration of subtle trolling. Not an obscene, offensive, blatant troll, but a mature, master troll.[/quote]

OP:

"Hm… best way to troll without being found out… I GOT IT!

Just ask what trolling is, those internet fools won’t suspect a damn thing. I feel like I should be in a Guinness commercial. GENUIS!"

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

^This

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ahh, the days of the mid-80’s running an ASCII BBS from an MPP1000 modem and an Atari 800XL.[/quote]

Waiting 5 minutes for a 50kb picture to download!

I think a troll is similar to an ogre. And belongs to the Orc race.

[quote]hawkins14 wrote:
I think a troll is similar to an ogre. And belongs to the Orc race.[/quote]

Nope Troll is originally a mythical creature from norwegian folklore. Ogre is similar, but is the english varition I think( I could be wrong about ogre ). Trolls are large and resembles trees, kinda a mix between the trolls and ents from the lord of the rings universe.

[quote]grettiron wrote:
OP is trolling us, all the signs are there. Low post count, feigning naivete, asking an innocent question in seeming earnest. A perfect demonstration of subtle trolling. Not an obscene, offensive, blatant troll, but a mature, master troll.[/quote]

This is indeed true.

He’s trying to be meta about it…subtle perhaps. But we’re quite discerning here.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

^This

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ahh, the days of the mid-80’s running an ASCII BBS from an MPP1000 modem and an Atari 800XL.[/quote]

[/quote]

GRANDMA ARE YOU ON THE PHONE AGAIN

I had learned that one of the characteristics of a troll was that the troll gets his/her “lulz” or enjoyment by how many people he/she can inflame or how much attention her got. In this case, the OP isn’t getting much of anything. Either he’s very subtle, or very incompetent as a troll, or legitimate.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

^This

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

GRANDMA ARE YOU ON THE PHONE AGAIN
[/quote]

Haha! That reminds me of when I used to watch Dennis the Menace or Leave it to Beaver and wonder at the antiquity of it when they’d use the phone and have to deal with “party lines” or even had to ring an operator first to connect them to the other party via a switchboard.