Wearing Ghettoware After Adolescence?

I was channel surfing, and caught a portion of a Vanilla Ice Biography. He’s 40 years old, and wears his b-ball hat cocked to the side. Personally I can’t describe enough how rediculous that looks to me, but who’s laughing in the end?? He’s the one with the mansion and millions.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Yeah, that sounds great when you can afford it. I tip now because I have no justification not to. However, it wasn’t like I had the funds to take a girl out in college on the weekends AND tip 15% or more in all situations. Your perspective implies I should have simply not gone on dates until I had a career. [/quote]

You can go on all the dates you want; it’s a free country and you don’t HAVE to tip. But if you tip 10%, expect the waiter to think you’re a cheap bastard and/or expect to receive subpar service the next time you go to that restaurant.

And yes, if you are that low on funds that you can’t afford to tip properly (15% tip on a $40 bill is 6 bucks!) then yes, you shouldn’t be going out on dates until you can afford it. Three dollars is often the difference between an insulting tip and one that shows you appreciated good service (if you did indeed receive good service). Again, it’s a free country and if you don’t tip, it’s not like you stole the food or anything criminal, just don’t ask people not to judge you because they certainly will.

tom63 wrote:

Decent is getting the order right and not being stupid. I’ve always followed the rule, if you can’t tip for decent to great service, you can’t afford to go out/

Yeah, that sounds great when you can afford it. I tip now because I have no justification not to. However, it wasn’t like I had the funds to take a girl out in college on the weekends AND tip 15% or more in all situations. Your perspective implies I should have simply not gone on dates until I had a career.

We are in the middle of a recession and there were tons of poor people before then. Most people seem to want to pretend they have money…which is why people buy cars they can’t afford when they can barely afford rent…or wear clothes from Dolce & Gabanna when the lights might get cut off this week.

Simply put, the people who usually don’t tip, act that way because they either don’t have the money…or they weren’t raised with that etiquette. If you never see mom and dad tip, chances are you won’t either unless someone informs you of who does it and when. [/quote]

Very true, believe me, we did not have money growing up. Eating out was a treat, and Mickey D’s was a big deal to me. A real restaurant like Pizza Hut where you had a waitress was like the Ritz.

People need to grow up and get a handle on finances and learn to have money. It’s a lot better and more fun than worrying about some stranger thinking you have money. The guys I know who have money, have money, or as it’s called , cash.

And they pay it.

On the other side, I have a white trash idiot buddy. He pissed away 88,000.00 dollars in a year. Multiple tattoos, not that it is bad, but when you can’t pay bills…

But you want to buy a new camcorder because you follow bands around and one might be famous sometimes… Or you try to dress like a rock star from the 80s, Brett Michaels? Axel Rose?

Or you date a black girl and your stupid mullet now has corn rows? and you’re 40, and can’t pay your bills.

And I’m not criticizing him about who he’s dating, just what he is doing. Trying way to hard to impress people that know he’s an idiot. And angling to get disability which might be 40K and he’ll be set.

Even though he’s the dumbest motherfucker I have ever seen with money. It might sound harsh, but there are only two reason now that you are poor for a lengthy period of time. You are lazy. You are stupid. You are both. My buddy’s picture is under that section of the encyclopedia.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Yeah, that sounds great when you can afford it. I tip now because I have no justification not to. However, it wasn’t like I had the funds to take a girl out in college on the weekends AND tip 15% or more in all situations. Your perspective implies I should have simply not gone on dates until I had a career.

You can go on all the dates you want; it’s a free country and you don’t HAVE to tip. But if you tip 10%, expect the waiter to think you’re a cheap bastard and/or expect to receive subpar service the next time you go to that restaurant.

And yes, if you are that low on funds that you can’t afford to tip properly (15% tip on a $40 bill is 6 bucks!) then yes, you shouldn’t be going out on dates until you can afford it. Three dollars is often the difference between an insulting tip and one that shows you appreciated good service (if you did indeed receive good service). Again, it’s a free country and if you don’t tip, it’s not like you stole the food or anything criminal, just don’t ask people not to judge you because they certainly will.

[/quote]

Dude, when I was broke (hell, even now) I could not have cared less what someone who didn’t even know me thought about me. I didn’t write that I cussed the waiter out. I wrote that I didn’t leave some tip equal to the massive “20-30%” that tom wrote of earlier.

By his standards, I doubt anyone tips enough. Very often, I can remember a group of us going out and we tipped whatever we had in our pockets…which might have been 7-10 bucks for a table of four.

Yeah, people should avoid living unless they have the funds to live in comfort? Serially?

No one on minimum wage should ever go on a date unless they can afford 15% or better on a tip?

Get the fuck out.

I definitely tip now just like I buy my music I download. I am betting some of the same people here crowing about how much they tip are still downloading songs for free.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
It might sound harsh, but there are only two reason now that you are poor for a lengthy period of time. You are lazy. You are stupid. You are both. My buddy’s picture is under that section of the encyclopedia.[/quote]

I wouldn’t go that far. You don’t know the life situations of others. I will say that the average person isn’t as smart as they may think they are, but people can fall onto hard times for many reasons. I am sure quite a few hit a rock recently if they lost funds in the stock market.

Yes, buying that new Escalade when rent is due is dumb as shit…but the guy who just lost his job at the age of 45 that he has worked at for 20 years can also have a hard time paying bills for an extended period of time.

We are in the middle of a recession and there were tons of poor people before then. Most people seem to want to pretend they have money…which is why people buy cars they can’t afford when they can barely afford rent…or wear clothes from Dolce & Gabanna when the lights might get cut off this week.

Simply put, the people who usually don’t tip, act that way because they either don’t have the money…or they weren’t raised with that etiquette. If you never see mom and dad tip, chances are you won’t either unless someone informs you of who does it and when. [/quote]

Well, someone doesn’t have to tip, but they shouldn’t expect great service when they come back if they leave little or no tip.

If someone is going out and spending the money to be served at a restaurant, there’s little reason to not leave ~15%. It’s really not that much considering you’ll be spending $40-$60 anyway.

It’s also someone’s income. In some states, servers make less than $3.00/hour. Whether anyone agrees with it or not, tipping often IS the servers income.

I do agree with your last sentence, though. Some people just don’t know tipping etiquette.

EDIT: I posted the above before I saw your response. I think I understand what you are saying now. Although I still don’t think 15% is a big deal. If someone is so broke that 15% will make or break them, they probably shouldn’t be spending the money on a restaurant.

Dude, when I was broke (hell, even now) I could not have cared less what someone who didn’t even know me thought about me. I didn’t write that I cussed the waiter out. I wrote that I didn’t leave some tip equal to the massive “20-30%” that tom wrote of earlier.

By his standards, I doubt anyone tips enough. Very often, I can remember a group of us going out and we tipped whatever we had in our pockets…which might have been 7-10 bucks for a table of four.
[/quote]

It’s very disrespectful to your server to not leave a tip at all (assuming they weren’t terrible). If you’re too broke to leave a tip for someone, you shouldn’t go to a restaurant, that’s plain selfish. Just like malonetd said, most of these people are living off of their tips and work hard to earn that money.

For someone’s broke ass to come in, knowing they can’t afford the food and for the server to give them good service anyway and then not be compensated is pure selfishness. If you can’t afford it, get some carryout, restaurants are not a necessity, they are an indulgence that you shouldn’t partake in if you can’t afford it. That’s part of being broke, holding back on some things until you CAN afford it because that’s the responsible thing to do.

tom63 wrote:
It might sound harsh, but there are only two reason now that you are poor for a lengthy period of time. You are lazy. You are stupid. You are both. My buddy’s picture is under that section of the encyclopedia.

I wouldn’t go that far. You don’t know the life situations of others. I will say that the average person isn’t as smart as they may think they are, but people can fall onto hard times for many reasons. I am sure quite a few hit a rock recently if they lost funds in the stock market.

Yes, buying that new Escalade when rent is due is dumb as shit…but the guy who just lost his job at the age of 45 that he has worked at for 20 years can also have a hard time paying bills for an extended period of time.[/quote]

The poor I’m talking about have been for years. By observing what they do and how they do it over the years is how I’ve come to this conclusion. Hard times is one thing, but consistently poor is normally reserved for a whole lot of bad habits, like my buddy.

But according to him, he has bad luck.

It seems people either do not know or have forgotten that in the US the tip is part of the waiters or waitresses pay - they are paid way under minimum wage because the tip is factored in. If you do your job for free then do not tip, otherwise tip (unless of course the service was horrible). The tip is part of the cost of the meal. If you cannot afford the cost THEN you cannot afford the meal. Quite simple.

[quote]TDub301 wrote:
It’s very disrespectful to your server to not leave a tip at all (assuming they weren’t terrible). If you’re too broke to leave a tip for someone, you shouldn’t go to a restaurant, that’s plain selfish. Just like malonetd said, most of these people are living off of their tips and work hard to earn that money. For someone’s broke ass to come in, knowing they can’t afford the food and for the server to give them good service anyway and then not be compensated is pure selfishness. If you can’t afford it, get some carryout, restaurants are not a necessity, they are an indulgence that you shouldn’t partake in if you can’t afford it. That’s part of being broke, holding back on some things until you CAN afford it because that’s the responsible thing to do.[/quote]

Please. I remember going to prom and we were broke as shit aside from the money we specifically saved for that night. Mind you, it was far from the massive financial event I see lately. I rented a car…a fucking Taurus. I know we tipped about 10 bucks because that was what I personally left on the table. I hadn’t even heard of “15%” at that time.

I guess I should have stayed home.

tom63 wrote:
It might sound harsh, but there are only two reason now that you are poor for a lengthy period of time. You are lazy. You are stupid. You are both. My buddy’s picture is under that section of the encyclopedia.

Yes, buying that new Escalade when rent is due is dumb as shit…but the guy who just lost his job at the age of 45 that he has worked at for 20 years can also have a hard time paying bills for an extended period of time.[/quote]

And you’re right about that guy. you can have money saved etc. and still have some tough times. I’m talking about the poor who have anew HDTV when the Doc here did not ge tone yet. Or they all have cell phones, PCs, etc.

The guy in your example does exist, but unfortunately seems to be the exception.

TDub301 wrote:
It’s very disrespectful to your server to not leave a tip at all (assuming they weren’t terrible). If you’re too broke to leave a tip for someone, you shouldn’t go to a restaurant, that’s plain selfish. Just like malonetd said, most of these people are living off of their tips and work hard to earn that money. For someone’s broke ass to come in, knowing they can’t afford the food and for the server to give them good service anyway and then not be compensated is pure selfishness. If you can’t afford it, get some carryout, restaurants are not a necessity, they are an indulgence that you shouldn’t partake in if you can’t afford it. That’s part of being broke, holding back on some things until you CAN afford it because that’s the responsible thing to do.

Please. I remember going to prom and we were broke as shit aside from the money we specifically saved for that night. Mind you, it was far from the massive financial event I see lately. I rented a car…a fucking Taurus. I know we tipped about 10 bucks because that was what I personally left on the table. I hadn’t even heard of “15%” at that time.

I guess I should have stayed home.[/quote]

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You rented a car in high school?

TDub301 wrote:
It’s very disrespectful to your server to not leave a tip at all (assuming they weren’t terrible). If you’re too broke to leave a tip for someone, you shouldn’t go to a restaurant, that’s plain selfish. Just like malonetd said, most of these people are living off of their tips and work hard to earn that money. For someone’s broke ass to come in, knowing they can’t afford the food and for the server to give them good service anyway and then not be compensated is pure selfishness. If you can’t afford it, get some carryout, restaurants are not a necessity, they are an indulgence that you shouldn’t partake in if you can’t afford it. That’s part of being broke, holding back on some things until you CAN afford it because that’s the responsible thing to do.

A young kid at prom is a little different than some jackasses acting all rock star rich, then sticking a guy.

At our prom we had the meal where the prom was. There was no tipping, just tickets to buy for the event. Rented a tux, washed and waxed Dad’s 5 year old car( a big ass LTD, which would be very cool right now. not then though, haha!)

If you dont have enough money to tip the wait staff at least 20% for good service, you should not be going out to eat in a restauraunt…period. The wait staff’s wages relies heavily on tips and the wait staff for the most part are not rolling in dough.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Professor X wrote:
TDub301 wrote:

I guess I should have stayed home.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You rented a car in high school?[/quote]

My dad rented it for me but I paid for it. He just let me drive it.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
If you dont have enough money to tip the wait staff at least 20% for good service, you should not be going out to eat in a restauraunt…period. The wait staff’s wages relies heavily on tips and the wait staff for the most part are not rolling in dough. [/quote]

x2

Having worked in food service in my youth, I understand this.
I can’t stand abusive customers and lame tippers.

TDub301 wrote:

hahahaha, a Taurus, one of my best friend had a Taurus for a couple years as his first car, we used to go on him so much… But at least you left a tip (maybe not enough, but it’s better than nothing) and saved up, that is responsible especially for a highschooler. I just hate it when people don’t leave a tip to someone who at least did a decent job, for whatever reason. How did this discussion get started, anyway? I thought we were talking about “ghettowear”

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
If you dont have enough money to tip the wait staff at least 20% for good service, you should not be going out to eat in a restauraunt…period. The wait staff’s wages relies heavily on tips and the wait staff for the most part are not rolling in dough. [/quote]

I think my problem sometimes is just getting the “basic service”. Yes I know the wait staff can be busy or even short handed, but there have been times when the wait staff acted as if they really could not have been bothered to served you. They have a larger party near you that gets all the attention, their water is refilled, their orders turned in on time and their food served hot. You get the same wait person, but they don’t even make eye contact as they eyeball their “other table” while taking your orders, which of course arrives cold or not even the correct dish, “So you want them to make what you ordered or what?”

WTF?!? Forget what happens the next time I show up, take care of me the first time I set foot in the restaurant. Because you’ll not have any trouble remembering me next time, because of the ass chewing the manager would have giving you that night from having to comp meals and getting an ear full from the entire table, because of the below basic service.

For me basic service is,

Getting water and drinks to the table in a timely manner

If you have to pass my table to get to your other tables, check with me as often as you check with the other tables, at least on your way back to the kitchen!

If I only see you when you take the order, bring the food and later the check, you have not done the basics as far as checking with your table. And if I or anyone at my table has to get up to talk to the manager or worse grab a pitcher of water, order drinks or to check on orders, you can expect there won’t be a tip. Why? I’m not there to do your job, that’s why.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
MattyXL wrote:
If you dont have enough money to tip the wait staff at least 20% for good service, you should not be going out to eat in a restauraunt…period. The wait staff’s wages relies heavily on tips and the wait staff for the most part are not rolling in dough.

x2

Having worked in food service in my youth, I understand this.
I can’t stand abusive customers and lame tippers.
[/quote]

Exactly. I don’t buy the hard knock life crap either. My parents (Mom’s mom died when she was 12 and her dad had an illness and couldn’t work for years and my Dad’s dad left him and he was raised by his heroin junkie mom) were on welfare growing up and somehow they learned to give somebody a respectable tip. I was on reduced lunch in public school growing up; we weren’t quite shopping at Goodwill but I know all about struggling to make ends meet.

You don’t need to give an extravagant tip. If you tip 15%, that’s not a great tip but you aren’t outright insulting the wait staff and they can get by on those sorts of tips. The difference between a 10% tip and an 18% tip is not much but it means a lot to your server.

Here’s a novel idea… if you take a date out and you absolutely only have $30… then don’t order more than $26 worth of food! Skip the beer and get a water, order the 8oz steak instead of a 10oz steak, etc. Have a little self-control! The difference between tipping $4 on a $26 bill (15%) and $3 on a $27 is essentially nothing to you as a customer, but over the long run makes a big difference to the wait staff.

Your server at a restaurant gets paid essentially entirely on tips. When you tip less than 10%, you are essentially telling the waiter that he/she has to serve you for free.

If you absolutely cannot afford to leave a 15% tip ($6 on a $40 bill) then yes, I would absolutely say that you have no business spending that money to go out to eat. Otherwise, you are forcing the server to wait on you for free and that is pretty selfish.

If you’re reading this, imagine your occupation and having somebody come to your place of business, have you work for them for 40 minutes and then not pay them. Would you be pissed? I think so…

Wow…how did this thread turn to serving.

Ya I play bongos.

The video I meant to post was this one, not the facebook link.

By the way, I don’t consider the beirut guys get up to be ghettoware by any means, but ya the paris guy definetely.