Watchmen Trailer

Alan Moore cutting all ties is not a good sign, but then again he is a bit eccentric so that may not mean anything.

Well, Moore has cut ties with anything based on his concepts. SOme artists are tempermental I guess.

S

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/07/watchmen-writer-alan-moore-not.html

He comes across as jaded and mis-informed. I wonder if his opinion of whether a graphic novel could be adapted to film would be changed if he watched the new Batman.

He claims he never even saw 300 but based on criticism he heard from others, he doesn’t think they did a good job.

No offense…but that makes no damn sense.

Also, he made the decision that his name be removed from further film projects long before they started making this movie. He claimed the same for From Hell apparently.

I wouldn’t use his action as a sign of anything other than that he is so aloof, he doesn’t even watch the movies he seems to claim to have a problem with.

“[quote]“There’s nothing that could get me interested in Hollywood again. And, increasingly, there’s nothing that could get me interested in the American comics industry again. Hollywood and American comics, I have given them a chance, and I think 20 years is long enough. If they were going to deliver, they would have done it by now.”[/quote]”

Ironically, “right now” is when they finally got it right.

Keep in mind, this is the guy that used to have nightmares about going to comic conventions and being mobbed to the point of suffocation. Plus, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was an exercise in obscenely horrible movie adaptations.

I love Alan Moore’s work, but what he did could only have been done when he did it, not now. Now is the time of reinvention and, more importantly, rediscovery and rededication to comics as an important American craft. The initial adaptations of comics can only been seen as cheesy at the best, and insulting to literary comics at worst.

At this point, I want to rant about the importance of comics to pre-Seduction of the Innocent American psyche, and how the combination of art and text can make a truly amazing literary piece, but I’ll stop here.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
I wonder if this movie would have been made or if the effect would hvae been the same had Moore been given the Charilton characters by DC instead of creating homages ala the Watchmen

I think it’s better with new characters than it ever could have been if they had used the old DC franchise characters. We all know that The Nite-Owl is a stand-in for Batman, but the fact that he’s The Nite-Owl makes it kind of funny. Also, Dan Dreiberg comes free from all of the baggage that is Bruce Wayne, so when Dan acts like the weak, flawed human that he is, we can accept it, while we couldn’t accept that from Bruce.[/quote]

Nite-Owl was a stand in for the Blue Beetle and Doc Manhattan was Capt Atom these where Charlaton characters DC bought in the 70’s which weren’t being used until crisis.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Well, Moore has cut ties with anything based on his concepts. SOme artists are tempermental I guess.

S
[/quote]
Did you see the travesties that where League of Extradinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta?

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
I wonder if this movie would have been made or if the effect would hvae been the same had Moore been given the Charilton characters by DC instead of creating homages ala the Watchmen

I think it’s better with new characters than it ever could have been if they had used the old DC franchise characters. We all know that The Nite-Owl is a stand-in for Batman, but the fact that he’s The Nite-Owl makes it kind of funny. Also, Dan Dreiberg comes free from all of the baggage that is Bruce Wayne, so when Dan acts like the weak, flawed human that he is, we can accept it, while we couldn’t accept that from Bruce.

Nite-Owl was a stand in for the Blue Beetle and Doc Manhattan was Capt Atom these where Charlaton characters DC bought in the 70’s which weren’t being used until crisis. [/quote]

Oh, that’s interesting. I don’t know anything about Blue Beetle and Capt Atom, so I’ll stop here, but when I read the Watchmen I though Nite-Owl was the perfect stand in for Batman.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

Did you see the travesties that where League of Extradinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta?[/quote]

Of course, but like was said, this has left him jaded as if they could never do better. They are showing that you can do better and he chose to give up on all of Hollywood at the wrong time.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

Did you see the travesties that where League of Extradinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta?[/quote]

I liked V for Vendetta…not a good adaption of the graphic novel but I liked the movie.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

Did you see the travesties that where League of Extradinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta?

Of course, but like was said, this has left him jaded as if they could never do better. They are showing that you can do better and he chose to give up on all of Hollywood at the wrong time.[/quote]

That and he’s a pretentious douche. I think his appearence on the Simpsons showed exactly what he was about
Bart "Your run of Radioactive man was the best
Moore “You liked my work on Radioactive man? But when I did him I made him a cross dressing heroin addict who wasn’t radioactive”
Bart “I know I just like the drawings”

I love that

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:

I think it’s better with new characters than it ever could have been if they had used the old DC franchise characters. We all know that The Nite-Owl is a stand-in for Batman, but the fact that he’s The Nite-Owl makes it kind of funny. Also, Dan Dreiberg comes free from all of the baggage that is Bruce Wayne, so when Dan acts like the weak, flawed human that he is, we can accept it, while we couldn’t accept that from Bruce.

Nite-Owl was a stand in for the Blue Beetle and Doc Manhattan was Capt Atom these where Charlaton characters DC bought in the 70’s which weren’t being used until crisis.

Oh, that’s interesting. I don’t know anything about Blue Beetle and Capt Atom, so I’ll stop here, but when I read the Watchmen I though Nite-Owl was the perfect stand in for Batman.[/quote]

Yeah he wanted the Charlaton characters becuase no one was using them DC ok’d then said he couldn’t use them due to DC using them in Crisis (goddamn both of those works came out over 22yrs ago)

I think it’s interesting that if you go to Amazon.com right now, the #2 on their Top 100 is Watchmen. I need to go back and re-read my copy.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I think it’s interesting that if you go to Amazon.com right now, the #2 on their Top 100 is Watchmen. I need to go back and re-read my copy.[/quote]

I was at New England Comics yesterday picking up my subscription and the guy there said he had sold 20 copies since the trailer came out

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
I watched the trailer again during the midnight showing of The Dark Knight, and the reaction was extremely enthusiastic. I would say easily 95% of the audience had no idea what the fuck they were watching, but were engrossed nonetheless. The girl I was with (not into comics one bit) turned to me and whispered urgently, “I really want to see that”.

To those who haven’t read it, do. It is a towering piece of comic art and storytelling. A multilayered masterpiece. The only comparable graphic novel would be From Hell (also from Alan Moore).

Also, from what I could see from the trailer, Jon and the Comedian looked much bigger than they did in the book.

Speaking of trailers, I saw the T4 teaser and it looks similarly fucking awesome.[/quote]

I’ve never read a comic book series, but I noticed a lot of people downloading the Watchmen comic off torrent sites and it has everything to do with the trailer. Anyway, I downloaded it too…I’m anxious to start reading it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I will say this; this is the first time in about ten years that I have actually looked forward to seeing a movie at a theater. If it weren’t for X-Men, Batman, Iron Man, and Hulk, I get the strong feeling that Hollywood would really be suffering by now.

9 times out of 10, I would rather just wait for the dvd.[/quote]

Even with Batman being a huge blockbuster ticket sales are projected to be down from last year. For the most part, I’d rather watch a movie at home, but for movies like Batman, LOTR, Matrix…I like to see them at the theaters.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I will say this; this is the first time in about ten years that I have actually looked forward to seeing a movie at a theater. If it weren’t for X-Men, Batman, Iron Man, and Hulk, I get the strong feeling that Hollywood would really be suffering by now.

9 times out of 10, I would rather just wait for the dvd.

Even with Batman being a huge blockbuster ticket sales are projected to be down from last year. For the most part, I’d rather watch a movie at home, but for movies like Batman, LOTR, Matrix…I like to see them at the theaters.

[/quote]

That’s my feelings as well I still haven’t seen Dark Knight yet(too many humans at the theatre yesterday). I can wait to watch certain films, comedies most horror films but a comic related film I have to go see. Same as a Pixar film I’ve seen every Pixar film in the theatre since Toy Story

[quote]Cavan wrote:
From what I’ve heard, the Tales of the Black Freighter stuff isn’t going to be in the movie, but they’re going to do some separate release of it. I think it’s either going to be released to DVD around the time the movie comes out or it’s going to be part of the special edition Watchmen DVD when that releases. I don’t think they had decided last I heard.[/quote]

gay

[quote]He claims he never even saw 300 but based on criticism he heard from others, he doesn’t think they did a good job.

No offense…but that makes no damn sense. [/quote]

Alan Moore, while a genius, is still the biggest damn prima donna in comic books. Brian Michael Bendis, Mike Mignola, Frank Miller, Garth Ennis, Daniel Clowes and many others have all put out similarly amazing work without acting like that.

He’s just bitter, and it’s a shame that he doesn’t want to be associated with a project that will get people interested in his graphic novels again.

I think the extra DVD is going to be animated as well

SPOILER somewhat!!!

Ill embed the spoiler in this text so that someone doens’t accidentally read it i also read that they change the alien destroying NYC to something else so hopefully I didn’t spoil this for anyone

[quote]Vash wrote:
Keep in mind, this is the guy that used to have nightmares about going to comic conventions and being mobbed to the point of suffocation. Plus, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was an exercise in obscenely horrible movie adaptations.

I love Alan Moore’s work, but what he did could only have been done when he did it, not now. Now is the time of reinvention and, more importantly, rediscovery and rededication to comics as an important American craft. The initial adaptations of comics can only been seen as cheesy at the best, and insulting to literary comics at worst.

At this point, I want to rant about the importance of comics to pre-Seduction of the Innocent American psyche, and how the combination of art and text can make a truly amazing literary piece, but I’ll stop here.[/quote]

Why stop here? On a thread like this…about a graphic novel like this…where else is there a better place for that discussion?