Watchmen Trailer

The comic book was terrible and i dont imagine the movie being any better

but if its by the director of 300 im hoping there is alot more action and less of the boring talking and reflection that was most of the book

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
They better include all the parts with the kid hanging out at the news stand. [/quote]

Wow, I have absolutely no fucking idea what any of you are talking about.

Off to Amazon to remedy this situation…

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
FlavaDave wrote:
They better include all the parts with the kid hanging out at the news stand.

Wow, I have absolutely no fucking idea what any of you are talking about.

Off to Amazon to remedy this situation…[/quote]

Same here. I haven’t read it either and was wondering if I should bother, but after seeing some of the posts here, I figure I better read it before seeing the movie.

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
Idk, but that trailer had a lot of elements taken straight from the book in it. They better include all the parts with the kid hanging out at the news stand. [/quote]

I take back what I said about not being able to cut anything out of the book. They could drop that whole pirate ship thing and the movie would be fine.

I think they do need the kid hanging out at the news stand because he and the newstand guy were the people on the street that we empathized with, but they could cut that down to a few scenes here and there.

I don’t have my copy of the book, it’s on loan, but the more I think about it, the more plausible a 2 1/2 hour movie seems.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
the comic book was terrible and i dont imagine the movie being any better

but if its by the director of 300 im hoping there is alot more action and less of the boring talking and reflection that was most of the book[/quote]

Thanks for that, Mr. Deep Thinker.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
the comic book was terrible and i dont imagine the movie being any better

but if its by the director of 300 im hoping there is alot more action and less of the boring talking and reflection that was most of the book[/quote]

When a book gets rated one of the best of the 20th Century, I tend
to ignore those who claim “it was terrible”.

I haven’t read this yet…but I am sure I will give it more credit than that. From what I gather, the goal was not an action book. That reflection seems to be what the whole intent was.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
I did a little research on the book and I must say:

The Comedian is my kind of guy. If I was a super hero, I’d be him.

Wol, I never knew you were striving to be a sociopath. Dream big, you crazy dreamer.[/quote]

It’s funny. The reason I picked up the comic was that when I worked in this bookstore warehouse, one of the floor clerks was always calling me Rorschach. I didn’t what he was talking about for the longest time. Oddly enough, I was the same height, weight, and hair colour as Rorschach at the time.

And amazing trailer. I didn’t think they would actually make this.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
FlavaDave wrote:

I take back what I said about not being able to cut anything out of the book. They could drop that whole pirate ship thing and the movie would be fine. I think they do need the kid hanging out at the news stand because he and the newstand guy were the people on the street that we empathized with, but they could cut that down to a few scenes here and there. [/quote]

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

Que? The Black Ship reflected Ozy’s conspiracy. Without it, we lose the “we’re utterly screwed state created by the clashing superpowers of dumbfuckery and dumberfuckery.”

[quote]Vash wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
FlavaDave wrote:

I take back what I said about not being able to cut anything out of the book. They could drop that whole pirate ship thing and the movie would be fine. I think they do need the kid hanging out at the news stand because he and the newstand guy were the people on the street that we empathized with, but they could cut that down to a few scenes here and there.

Que? The Black Ship reflected Ozy’s conspiracy. Without it, we lose the “we’re utterly screwed state created by the clashing superpowers of dumbfuckery and dumberfuckery.”[/quote]

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SPOILER ALERT!!!AVERT YOUR EYES!!!111111

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Kuz wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
I did a little research on the book and I must say:

The Comedian is my kind of guy. If I was a super hero, I’d be him.

Wol, I never knew you were striving to be a sociopath. Dream big, you crazy dreamer.

It’s funny. The reason I picked up the comic was that when I worked in this bookstore warehouse, one of the floor clerks was always calling me Rorschach. I didn’t what he was talking about for the longest time. Oddly enough, I was the same height, weight, and hair colour as Rorschach at the time.

And amazing trailer. I didn’t think they would actually make this.[/quote]

You wouldn’t mistake me for the Comedian anytime soon, I can tell you that. Mentally, yes.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

You wouldn’t mistake me for the Comedian anytime soon, I can tell you that. Mentally, yes.
[/quote]

lolrape

[quote]Vash wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

lolrape[/quote]

We even share the same first name. All I need now is a cigar and a mask.

I watched the trailer again during the midnight showing of The Dark Knight, and the reaction was extremely enthusiastic. I would say easily 95% of the audience had no idea what the fuck they were watching, but were engrossed nonetheless. The girl I was with (not into comics one bit) turned to me and whispered urgently, “I really want to see that”.

To those who haven’t read it, do. It is a towering piece of comic art and storytelling. A multilayered masterpiece. The only comparable graphic novel would be From Hell (also from Alan Moore).

Also, from what I could see from the trailer, Jon and the Comedian looked much bigger than they did in the book.

Speaking of trailers, I saw the T4 teaser and it looks similarly fucking awesome.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
I watched the trailer again during the midnight showing of The Dark Knight, and the reaction was extremely enthusiastic. I would say easily 95% of the audience had no idea what the fuck they were watching, but were engrossed nonetheless. The girl I was with (not into comics one bit) turned to me and whispered urgently, “I really want to see that”.

To those who haven’t read it, do. It is a towering piece of comic art and storytelling. A multilayered masterpiece. The only comparable graphic novel would be From Hell (also from Alan Moore).

Also, from what I could see from the trailer, Jon and the Comedian looked much bigger than they did in the book.

Speaking of trailers, I saw the T4 teaser and it looks similarly fucking awesome.[/quote]

All of those trailers got applause when they popped on screen at the showing I went to. The only trailer that everyone was quiet on was that new Keanu Reeves movie. I get the feeling he doesn’t have the box office pull he used to. Maybe people were turned off by that last Matrix movie.

I will say this; this is the first time in about ten years that I have actually looked forward to seeing a movie at a theater. If it weren’t for X-Men, Batman, Iron Man, and Hulk, I get the strong feeling that Hollywood would really be suffering by now.

9 times out of 10, I would rather just wait for the dvd.

The book is a must read. If you like comics and havent read it it will give you a whole new appreciation for them when you do.

If you think that comics are for kids and havent read it then read it and it will change your mind about comics.

As for Keanu Reeves new movie I cant see it being as good as the original.

I wonder if this movie would have been made or if the effect would hvae been the same had Moore been given the Charilton characters by DC instead of creating homages ala the Watchmen

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
FlavaDave wrote:
Idk, but that trailer had a lot of elements taken straight from the book in it. They better include all the parts with the kid hanging out at the news stand.

I take back what I said about not being able to cut anything out of the book. They could drop that whole pirate ship thing and the movie would be fine.

I think they do need the kid hanging out at the news stand because he and the newstand guy were the people on the street that we empathized with, but they could cut that down to a few scenes here and there.

I don’t have my copy of the book, it’s on loan, but the more I think about it, the more plausible a 2 1/2 hour movie seems. [/quote]

From what I’ve heard, the Tales of the Black Freighter stuff isn’t going to be in the movie, but they’re going to do some separate release of it. I think it’s either going to be released to DVD around the time the movie comes out or it’s going to be part of the special edition Watchmen DVD when that releases. I don’t think they had decided last I heard.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I wonder if this movie would have been made or if the effect would hvae been the same had Moore been given the Charilton characters by DC instead of creating homages ala the Watchmen[/quote]

Probably. That Doc Manhattan is like a baby blue God living on earth. His powers are crazy.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I wonder if this movie would have been made or if the effect would hvae been the same had Moore been given the Charilton characters by DC instead of creating homages ala the Watchmen[/quote]

I think it’s better with new characters than it ever could have been if they had used the old DC franchise characters. We all know that The Nite-Owl is a stand-in for Batman, but the fact that he’s The Nite-Owl makes it kind of funny. Also, Dan Dreiberg comes free from all of the baggage that is Bruce Wayne, so when Dan acts like the weak, flawed human that he is, we can accept it, while we couldn’t accept that from Bruce.

I was reading an article about this movie and apparently it has been considered on multiple occasions but has always fallen through because ppl said the it could not be done justice on the big screen… alan moore the writer is breaking all ties with the movie… he has had his name removed from the credits and is giving all his royalties to gibbons (the illustrator)

also there are apparently 3 hours worth of footage but the studio is wanting it to be edited down to around 2 hours 25 minutes… the