Warhammer 40,000?

Played alot in high school, tournaments and such… in 40k. Played infrequently in college, and havent played so much with the new rules.

I had a wicked dark eldar army and loved their fluff and tactics. I sold them because i was an idiot, and then started a chaos collection. My best friend is trying to get me back into it, but time is at a premium. Fun game though.

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Played alot in high school, tournaments and such… in 40k. Played infrequently in college, and havent played so much with the new rules.

I had a wicked dark eldar army and loved their fluff and tactics. I sold them because i was an idiot, and then started a chaos collection. My best friend is trying to get me back into it, but time is at a premium. Fun game though.[/quote]

End of 2012. 40k 6th ed. is coming out. So get your army ready or buy a painted one…

Well I got a book today. I chose this one as it looked like fun and it’s an omnibus with three novels in it.

I can attest to the Gaunt’s Ghosts series being fairly readable. Not the best fiction around, but I played 40K tabletop so their entertaining enough. It’s been years since I actually have played a game, and last I checked it didn’t look like any new miniatures had come out. I’m surprised that it sounds like the game is still being played by a decent audience. Everywhere I’ve lived it’s been slowly dying out. Lot’s of fun though, wish I could find some players in the Northern Colorado area.

[quote]forkknifespoon wrote:
I can attest to the Gaunt’s Ghosts series being fairly readable. Not the best fiction around, but I played 40K tabletop so their entertaining enough. It’s been years since I actually have played a game, and last I checked it didn’t look like any new miniatures had come out. I’m surprised that it sounds like the game is still being played by a decent audience. Everywhere I’ve lived it’s been slowly dying out. Lot’s of fun though, wish I could find some players in the Northern Colorado area.[/quote]

It definitely still has a small following, but games like StarCraft did a good job killing it off. You can only spend your entire allowance on pewter miniatures and super glue for so long…

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]forkknifespoon wrote:
I can attest to the Gaunt’s Ghosts series being fairly readable. Not the best fiction around, but I played 40K tabletop so their entertaining enough. It’s been years since I actually have played a game, and last I checked it didn’t look like any new miniatures had come out. I’m surprised that it sounds like the game is still being played by a decent audience. Everywhere I’ve lived it’s been slowly dying out. Lot’s of fun though, wish I could find some players in the Northern Colorado area.[/quote]

It definitely still has a small following, but games like StarCraft did a good job killing it off. You can only spend your entire allowance on pewter miniatures and super glue for so long…[/quote]

Guys,

I am one of the head judges at Adepticon and we sell out a large hotel for a week to host primarily Warhammer 40k and Warhammer in different point levels over a 4 day period. It is not dying out at all it is actually growing. Expensive yes but growing.

Look up Games Workshop stores in your area or a Local Gaming Store.

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

Guys,

I am one of the head judges at Adepticon and we sell out a large hotel for a week to host primarily Warhammer 40k and Warhammer in different point levels over a 4 day period. It is not dying out at all it is actually growing. Expensive yes but growing.

Look up Games Workshop stores in your area or a Local Gaming Store.

[/quote]

Good to hear, maybe you could PM me your phone number so my wife will have someone to yell at instead of me when I pick up one more of my dormant hobby/time/money sinks.

All kidding aside I might see if there is a local group. Having an army somewhat ready to go already (not all painted, but very large Eldar army) makes things easy. Have the rules changed a lot in the past 5-6 years? Like I said I don’t see many new minis, I think I remember previews for Grey Knights stuff coming out right when I was stopping playing.

Grey Knights just came out again with a lot of new sculpts…

A lot of little things has changed to the rules–easier if you ask me to pick up and play.

go to the gw website and have a looksy. You will be amazed at the quality of the new sculpts.

Rick

Have a look at the minis on the GW site but don’t buy any from them. They cost an arm an a leg. I haven’t bought anything from GW directly in years. I get all my stuff second hand on eBay nowadays . The price hikes of late are unjustifiable and the Finecast debacle has put most of the veteran gamers in my group off buying anything new.

apparently all people who play 40k are nazis

[quote]lnname wrote:

apparently all people who play 40k are nazis[/quote]

Reminds me to good old “Dungeons and Dragons players are satanists” with those comics created by some ultrareligious guy…

[quote]Edevus wrote:

Reminds me to good old “Dungeons and Dragons players are satanists” with those comics created by some ultrareligious guy…[/quote]

I remember those. Good times, good times…

40K is awesome.

Dark Angels are what’s up.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
40K is awesome.

Dark Angels are what’s up.[/quote]

You chose the chapter with the lamest named Primarch, “Lionel”. Might as well have called him Maurice.

[quote]spiderman739 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
40K is awesome.

Dark Angels are what’s up.[/quote]

You chose the chapter with the lamest named Primarch, “Lionel”. Might as well have called him Maurice.[/quote]

What? Blasphemey!!

A word to the wise…

Heresey Begets Retribution.

And actually it’s Lion’el for what it is. LOL

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

What? Blasphemey!!

A word to the wise…

And actually it’s Lion’el for what it is. LOL[/quote]

You have probably seen this already as you are an old hand at this but for those that haven’t;

Lion El’Johnson = DA Primarch
Lionel Johnson = Homosexual poet.

Dark Angels = Chapter of Space Marines
The Dark Angel = poem Lionel Johnson wrote about his experiences being homosexual.

Curious…anyone here play the Warhammer Online MMORPG? I’ve played it a bit because it offers some decent play-time for free, plus it’s one of the few MMORPG’s available for the Mac (I’m seriously considering getting a Windows partition just to play Age of Conan and/or The Secret World). Anyhow, it’s more or less a Warcraft type game incidentally set in the archaic fantasy version of the Warhammer world.

There are some strategy elements including order vs. chaos battlegrounds, but everything I’ve seen (in the free -play zone) ends up being mob/gang type skirmishes – that is, two opposing mobs essentially taunt each other and take pot-shots until a couple of guys wander too far into enemy territory, get killed, allowing enough of a power shift to let one side take some ground (and vice versa for all eternity).

Anyhow…any players? And if I may ask, is it worth it to pay for the full version?

Sorry if this is considered a bit off topic, I can start a separate thread if there are any more than a couple of players!

@spidey yeah heard it, who cares the Dark Angels have a good background story.

@ LHT I don’t play MMO or video games, so I can/t help you.

Off topic here: If you really like good Sci-fi books read the Battletech line esp. about the Clans. That I think GW ripped off and came up with 40k Space Marines (Elementals)

Off Off topic: Regarding Battletech I actually was sponsored by the creator of that boardgame Forrest Brown. He also ran a Paintball facility in Joliet,Il called Challenge Games. I was on Team Farside for awhile.

[quote]spiderman739 wrote:

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

What? Blasphemey!!

A word to the wise…

And actually it’s Lion’el for what it is. LOL[/quote]

You have probably seen this already as you are an old hand at this but for those that haven’t;

Lion El’Johnson = DA Primarch
Lionel Johnson = Homosexual poet.

Dark Angels = Chapter of Space Marines
The Dark Angel = poem Lionel Johnson wrote about his experiences being homosexual. [/quote]

It is for this reason that i changed from DA to deamonhunters. Dark angels look really cool but their back story doesn’t live up to the miniatures

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]pgtips wrote:
I used to paint the space marines, But I made my own colours and stuff up. Man I loved painting those things but I never played the game.[/quote]

I was the opposite. Hated painting, loved playing (and designing scenarios).

[/quote]

I think I would have loved playing the game. Looked like a really elaberate game of chess. None of my mates would play it though and took the piss out of me haha