Warhammer 40,000?

[quote]spiderman739 wrote:

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
Most 40k books are terrible.

With that said the Ragnar Blackmane books are pretty decent and the first 3 of the Horus Heresy is ok.

I play Dark Angels in 40k and have 11 armies for Fantasy.

The Games are far better than the books.

[/quote]

11!!! Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick! They all painted?

As for the book, yep, there are some bad ones. Stick with Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill and you can’t go far wrong.[/quote]

All painted !!! All over 4k as well and painted to a better than Tabletop standard.

I am one of the Head judges for Adepticon Fantasy Team Tourny for 2012.

I live by Chicago if anyone wants to roll some dice…

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
I get the feeling from reading some of the “history” on the Wiki that the back story is ENORMOUS. What books are good to start with to get a broad view to understand the history of the whole thing?[/quote]

Horus Heresy. [/quote]

Thank you sir!

[quote]pgtips wrote:
I used to paint the space marines, But I made my own colours and stuff up. Man I loved painting those things but I never played the game.[/quote]

I was the opposite. Hated painting, loved playing (and designing scenarios).

I never got into the tabletop game, but I’ve been a huge fan of the lore/universe/fluff for a long time. Only read a handful of the books though. Never really had the money/time (probably not the patience either) to properly model up and paint an army for a game, though I’d probably enjoy a game if I did.

Although I have downloaded a few codices online and tinkered with some army lists. Even have an unfinished 4 page word document on my laptop detailing a Space Marines chapter I was creating haha.

GAUNTS GHOSTS AND CIAPHAS CAIN for imperial stuff.
horus heresay, ultramarines, space wolves for space marines.

if youre looking into warhammer, read malus darkblade. how can anyone not like dark elves, dak magic, lots of blood and gore.

Have you guys played Mordheim? I think it was called like that. It’s with bands of mercenaries instead of armies and you fight in a small town.

[quote]Edevus wrote:
Have you guys played Mordheim? I think it was called like that. It’s with bands of mercenaries instead of armies and you fight in a small town.[/quote]

Yes fun small skirmish game, easy to learn and did not seem to overwhelm new players.

[quote]LTKO wrote:
GAUNTS GHOSTS AND CIAPHAS CAIN for imperial stuff.
horus heresay, ultramarines, space wolves for space marines.

if youre looking into warhammer, read malus darkblade. how can anyone not like dark elves, dak magic, lots of blood and gore. [/quote]

Pertaining to the Malus Darkblade-- Because it was written by a 3rd grader using crayons? Most of the black Library books are horrible but it is based in a genre that is so rich in history ( both 40k and fantasy) that we just enjoy the surroundings and ignore the traveling companions so to speak.

[quote]Edevus wrote:
Have you guys played Mordheim? I think it was called like that. It’s with bands of mercenaries instead of armies and you fight in a small town.[/quote]

Mordhiem was pretty popular with our group but nobody has played it for a while.

If we are branching out into other games, there is one that stands head and shoulders above the lot… BLOODBOWL!

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

All painted !!! All over 4k as well and painted to a better than Tabletop standard.

I am one of the Head judges for Adepticon Fantasy Team Tourny for 2012.

I live by Chicago if anyone wants to roll some dice…[/quote]

Good luck with the judging. Likewise, if you find yourself ever in Japan and hankering for a game then there are always dice and tables at the ready :slight_smile:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

Mordhiem was pretty popular with our group but nobody has played it for a while.

If we are branching out into other games, there is one that stands head and shoulders above the lot… BLOODBOWL![/quote]

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

Yes fun small skirmish game, easy to learn and did not seem to overwhelm new players.[/quote]

It seems it’s not supported anymore and Games Workshop is not even printing more copies. I saw people playing at the store many times, but I never got to try it. Talking about Warhammer got me thinking about it, so I think that I could get the handbook from somewhere and use a mix of WH40K and Warhammer Fantasy stuff to play some games once I get back home for holidays.

It might have already been mentioned, but have any of you read the Gaunt’s Ghosts series? Those are the ones that have been most recommended to me by my engineers. Good, bad???

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
It might have already been mentioned, but have any of you read the Gaunt’s Ghosts series? Those are the ones that have been most recommended to me by my engineers. Good, bad???[/quote]

I loved them. Full of do-daring and such. I prefer them to the books about Space Marines.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
It might have already been mentioned, but have any of you read the Gaunt’s Ghosts series? Those are the ones that have been most recommended to me by my engineers. Good, bad???[/quote]

I loved them. Full of do-daring and such. I prefer them to the books about Space Marines.[/quote]

Perfect. I’ll be picking 'em up soon.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Quality-wise - strong, entertaining stories. BUT . . .

after about 12 “Men of Tanith - do you want to live forever’s,” I got to asking out loud “I’m guessing that, yes, at least one of these fuckers DOES.”

And despite Dan Abnett’s un-contestable skill, I found the Ciaphus Cain series to be more entertaining and human than the First and Only.

[quote]Vash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

after about 12 “Men of Tanith - do you want to live forever’s,” I got to asking out loud “I’m guessing that, yes, at least one of these fuckers DOES.”

And despite Dan Abnett’s un-contestable skill, I found the Ciaphus Cain series to be more entertaining and human than the First and Only.[/quote]

Men of Tanith…is that the one that starts with a siege and some Imperial Guard comissair being SS-officer alike? I started to read that novel and I got bored immediately.

[quote]Vash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

And despite Dan Abnett’s un-contestable skill, I found the Ciaphus Cain series to be more entertaining and human than the First and Only.[/quote]

I think that the appeal is very different. Gaunts Ghosts reminds me of Sharp’s Rifles. A motley crew with an inspiring leader.

Ciaphus Cain is always looking out for number one. He is a realist and will never stick his neck out if he can avoid it. He isnt looking to become a hero, just to live as long as he can. I completely agree with you about being more human.

Both characters are great and the stories very readable but in very different ways. I read my first Ciaphus Cain book the other day having no idea what to expect, and really enjoyed it.

I would recommend both of them.

Off topic: Just finished painted up some units for my O&G army and I am going to play Warhammer tonight @ 2500pts.

Yep, I am a Big Geek/Super Nerd…who cares I am having fun with friends

At my uni, nearly everyone who does powerliting also plays war hammer 40k and vica versa

GREY KNIGHTS FOREVER

[quote]lnname wrote:
At my uni, nearly everyone who does powerliting also plays war hammer 40k and vica versa

DARK ANGELS FOREVER

[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

off topic: My O&G went 2-0.