Vertical Jump Calculator!

This would work for people who do train squat often. May even work for people who train both, but I doubt it would be consistent across a field of men who squat hard and often. Different people squat and jump with way too much hip variation.

I don’t know if it’s accurate relative to predicting jumping ability- but it is consistant. I came up with about 33 inches on either the powersnatch or deep squat. I don’t even know how I would go about measuring my verticle jump. I know I used to be able to ollie onto a handrail when I was 16. But somehow I doubt I can jump that high now.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
This would work for people who do train squat often. May even work for people who train both, but I doubt it would be consistent across a field of men who squat hard and often. Different people squat and jump with way too much hip variation.[/quote]

that’s why I said a raw olympic full squat. You can only really squat one way with the bar high on your traps and with a shoulder width stance going all the way down. You have to use your legs

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
It’s calculating in a linear fashion because with a vertical jump, speed is not the limiting factor. Strength is. The human body is really heavy, you need to be frigging strong to throw it up.
And even then, it’s not like we’re throwing it up that high. 48 inches is like 4 feet. Hardly comparable to the distances that a shot put gets thrown, and yet see how strong world class shot putters are, compared to the weight of the shot. And speed is more of a factor here due to the lighter object being propelled…

So until your full squatting over 3xBW I wouldn’t worry about it being linear, because the highest jumper here lines up really well with it as it is :slight_smile:

Also it’s not so much the squat that gets you the hops, but the muscle mass you gain getting there. You just keep getting bigger and stronger, and your jumps keeps go up and up, in always linear scale.

Squat gains via neural adaption won’t really help your hops. Neural gains are movement and skill specific [/quote]

I agree stronger is always better, i pointed out that its linear to show it wont be as accurate with really big sqauts

i dont agree however that neural adaptations wont help your leap

I think the calculator is pretty close for athletes who jump on the regular basis it’s a little off for me but understandably so since I’m over the 6’ mark with longer limbs. My question is in regards to the squat as being exercise choice in the variable for everyone. For someone with longer femurs relative to torso it seems(at least for me anyway) that the deadlift is a more telling strength exercise for my vertical. It seems to correlate more with my vert than my squat.

I find this calculator to be very accurate with nfl players where i’ve found their squat and for myself my vertical shows a 27 in. (it’s 31) but i’m 6’2 and play lots of basketball

It got mine exactly.