T Nation

Vertical Jump Calculator!

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/verticaljumpcalculator.html

Do you think this is accurate?

no

Hell naw, not even close!

This thing is retarded.

In my experience, it was pretty close. For me, the power snatch was a more accurate predictor. But it was definitely within an inch or two using either predictor.

It assumes a certain amount of efficiency at jumping. If you’re bad at jumping or aren’t particularly fast, it might not work well for you.

Fart Power calculator/.///
enter Your height:…
enter your biceps curl 1RM:…
calculate:…

I tried it and…

Well, as of right now, my ATG front squat max with a pause is 280 pounds. That means my back squat with the same stance and pause is atleast 322… If I eliminate the pause, I should be able to do 340… So I typed in 340 for the full olympic squat, and 205 for the bodyweight and it says that my vertical should be 27.81 inches… I wanted to ba able to jump as high as Frank Yang, so it says that if I wanted to jump 40 inches, I must be able to ATG squat 489 pounds with the same bodyweight… I guess that can be a good goal to pursue.

LOL

The author of that calculator posts around here, right?

[quote]elano wrote:
LOL[/quote]

What???

[quote]Marlind wrote:
Fart Power calculator/.///
enter Your height:…
enter your biceps curl 1RM:…
calculate:…[/quote]

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
so it says that if I wanted to jump 40 inches, I must be able to ATG squat 489 pounds with the same bodyweight… I guess that can be a good goal to pursue.[/quote]

So under this calculation, all those and1 basketball players squat in the 400s?
and i have a vertical jump of 31 inches, weigh 200 lbs and i don’t have anywhere close to 370 lb squat

I wouldn’t assume your back squat is 322 if your front squat is 280. You could try your back squat first to figure it out.

The basic idea is that for a given squat and bodyweight you SHOULD be able to jump a given height AS LONG AS your movement efficiency in the jump is up to par. If your current squat gives you a vertical jump forecast that is above your actual current jump height you know you need to work on transferring your squat strength into jump explosiveness better, thus you need more actual jump training and perhaps more explosive oriented training. If your VJ is even, or above, the forecasted VJ, you know your jumping efficiency is good, you’re transferring your strength into explosiveness well, and should continue driving up your squat.

Note: The calculator works best if you’re between 5’6 and 6’0 tall. Shorter folks tend to require slightly heavier squats for a given VJ and taller folks tend to require slightly less.

From what I understand, And1 basketball players dont have super high standing vertical jumps, their running jumps (usually off 1 foot) are what are impressive. Said jumps are far less dependent on your squat max than a standing vert, and instead are more affected by limb/tendon length, one’s ability to transfer power/reactive strength, etc. I wouldn’t arrogantly toss aside CoolCoolJ’s calculator, especially when Kelly Baggett posts it on his website. The correlation is present mostly in people that weightlift (which I assume is everyone here). I’m 6’0 with a 360-370 ish atg oly squat at 180 lbs, so I should jump 32-33 inches. I’ve never tested my vertical, but I’m pretty sure I’m currently at that level (probably lower… gotta start doing plyometrics and playing ball again).

[quote]Kevk010 wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
so it says that if I wanted to jump 40 inches, I must be able to ATG squat 489 pounds with the same bodyweight… I guess that can be a good goal to pursue.

and i have a vertical jump of 31 inches, weigh 200 lbs and i don’t have anywhere close to 370 lb squat
[/quote]

What about your height?

The basic idea behind my calculator is that the amount of stress you put in your body roughly 1/52 of the power exerted in a large fart(scientific name:Hadron electro-fartosis)…Usually larger folks exert more force in these tests…and Bigger-assed individuals like Kim Kardashian less power because the fart has to travel through the jello-softy-ass until it reaches air(remember in denser materials even sound travels slower)

[quote]Kevk010 wrote:
[/quote]

No. I put in a standing vertical of 40 inches and a body weight of 200 lbs. The calculator spits out 477 lbs for the squat. It doesn’t mean that I HAVE to be able to squat 477 lbs to jump 40 inches; it just means that IF I can squat 477 lbs then I SHOULD be able to jump 40 inches as long as my “movement efficiency in the jump is up to par”. Also, most NBA players are very tall and it’s mentioned on the page that people taller than 6’ can generally get away with squatting less.

I would say it’s more of a tool to see if your time would be better spent focusing on plyometrics or strength. I usually don’t put much stock in any kind of “calculator” when it comes to physical ability, so on whether or not it’s accurate, I’ll leave that to Kelly Baggett.

Check this one out!

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/VerticalJump.html

It says that 17 year old elite athlete males who are 66 inches tall, such as me, has a population average of a 26 inch vertical jump… And mine is 27.8. Woohoo!!!

…In my mind, I can call myself an “elite athlete”.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Check this one out!

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/VerticalJump.html

It says that 17 year old elite athlete males who are 66 inches tall, such as me, has a population average of a 26 inch vertical jump… And mine is 27.8. Woohoo!!!

…In my mind, I can call myself an “elite athlete”.[/quote]

well 90% of people can’t jump 10 inches…(in the 90% there are some athletes included sadly)

Well I have a Power Snatch of 105 kg at 155 pounds, but I sadly cannot jump 58 inches, barely 30 I think