Vertical Jump Calculator!

athlete…

[quote]Marlind wrote:
athlete…[/quote]

Whoah… Umm, isn’t that a little offensive??

…Don’t get me wrong, IT WAS HILARIOUS!

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Marlind wrote:
athlete…

Whoah… Umm, isn’t that a little offensive??

…Don’t get me wrong, IT WAS HILARIOUS![/quote]

:slight_smile: I aint the type of everyone-is-equal-respect-fags-retards etc…lol
:wink: and you aint a retared midget…

I know my squat and power clean have doubled in the past year however my vertical jump has only increased 1/2 an inch.

[quote]elano wrote:
I know my squat and power clean have doubled in the past year however my vertical jump has only increased 1/2 an inch.[/quote]

That may be but you can’t calculate jumping ability…Its something very individual…

[quote]Marlind wrote:
elano wrote:
I know my squat and power clean have doubled in the past year however my vertical jump has only increased 1/2 an inch.

That may be but you can’t calculate jumping ability…Its something very individual…[/quote]

Exactly my point.

here we go again…people use your brain for once!

It’s kinda funny that the highest vertical jumper here, or even in the world for that matter, SquatDr with a 50 inch vertical jump, lines up pretty well with my Vertical Jump formula :wink:

5’9" 210lbs full olympic squat in the low-mid 600s. Since he recently low bar power squatted to parallel 635lbs x5 with just a belt. 700’ish 1RM

3xBW = 50 inches - sweet

I created the formula myself, by using some logical deduction about how much you need to squat to powersnatch a certain weight with no dip to catch it.
The distance from my hip crease to my catch position is just under 40 inches

ie how much explosive strength deficit vs the squat is needed to throw up a certain weight. Now if you can throw up a load that is the same as your bodyweight 40 inches into the air, you should be able to jump the same as well.

It’s pretty accurate, for 90% of people who do practise jumping and have been squatting a while, and have no fatigue. Fatigue kills your hops!
I’ve collected a fair sample size of people who say it matches up spot on for them

There is even one High school coach who told me it lines with all his trainees

coolcolj knows his shit. squat heavy, power clean heavy and practice your jumps and you will fly. Hard work pays off!

what coolcolj says.

it lines up perfectly for me, my movement efficiency is a little higher than normal but that’s pretty much spot on. I don’t think you need to full olympic squat though. I just put my raw parallel pl-style squat and it’s the same. I put in how high my vertical actually is and it gave me exactly how much i squat lol

It’s about right for me give or take an inch. (25 inches if anyone’s curious)

[quote]Marlind wrote:

:wink: and you aint a retared midget…[/quote]

You are, though. :slight_smile:

Pretty much on the money here.

1m 5’6, 160lbs and sqaut 405 to parralel so i put in 365 for atg sqaut
it said my leap shoulb be 38 inches, but i only leap like 28
guess i would get a lot out of some plyos

also i put in 600 sqaut at 150 and it said that it was equil to 67 inches
its calculating in a linear fashion

[quote]Hearthquake wrote:
Well I have a Power Snatch of 105 kg at 155 pounds, but I sadly cannot jump 58 inches, barely 30 I think[/quote]

Power Snatch??? :o

Jesus… how did you add 3kg to your best snatch and turn it into a power version in a year??

It’s calculating in a linear fashion because with a vertical jump, speed is not the limiting factor. Strength is. The human body is really heavy, you need to be frigging strong to throw it up.
And even then, it’s not like we’re throwing it up that high. 48 inches is like 4 feet. Hardly comparable to the distances that a shot put gets thrown, and yet see how strong world class shot putters are, compared to the weight of the shot. And speed is more of a factor here due to the lighter object being propelled…

So until your full squatting over 3xBW I wouldn’t worry about it being linear, because the highest jumper here lines up really well with it as it is :slight_smile:

Also it’s not so much the squat that gets you the hops, but the muscle mass you gain getting there. You just keep getting bigger and stronger, and your jumps keeps go up and up, in always linear scale.

Squat gains via neural adaption won’t really help your hops. Neural gains are movement and skill specific

I’m gonna chime in here only because I just got through reading a bit about this in “Science & Practice”.

Basically, it’s stating that once you develop a sufficient foundation of strength, the limiting factor turns to rate of force development. It takes a certain amount of time to get to max force, and with a jump you’re off the ground before you get to your full potential.

So, the question is when does your rate of return diminish from your 1RM squat? Do you really think it is a 3xBW squat?

I guess I need to test my vertical to have an informed opinion…:wink:

All i can say i could not touch the back board until i started doing front squats.

[quote]mahwah wrote:
I’m gonna chime in here only because I just got through reading a bit about this in “Science & Practice”.

Basically, it’s stating that once you develop a sufficient foundation of strength, the limiting factor turns to rate of force development. It takes a certain amount of time to get to max force, and with a jump you’re off the ground before you get to your full potential.

So, the question is when does your rate of return diminish from your 1RM squat? Do you really think it is a 3xBW squat?

I guess I need to test my vertical to have an informed opinion…;)[/quote]

Well look at world class shotputter’s bench press vs the 16lb shot, and they’re throwing the shot over 70 feet. Lighter load, greater distance thrown = more speed required
And yet a strength to weight ratio of at least 12:1 is required, and more like 15:1 and over

Then compare your bodyweight and your squat. Highest vertical jump I know of is 50 inches, a touch over 4 feet. Greater load to be propelled, over a shorter distance means velocity is relatively low.

With heavier load and slower velocity, strength is of greater benefit
Diminishing returns shouldn’t even enter the equation! :slight_smile:

I was skeptical at first but it may be right on. I’ve told I must have a 36"+ vert by guys who can’t jump yet I reach around 8ft @ 5’10" and it’s nothing for me to grab the rim of a bball hoop. But that works out to 24 inches.

If I had 40 I’d be getting 16inches above the rim…and I’m not. My squat, since I guessed it was 1rm, I put in 373 (end of current cycle, I think) with a weight of 205.

that’s about right. but I swear I jump higher :frowning: