Velvet's Lifting and Other Fun Stuff Log

Hey man, I appreciate the tag and I’ll do what I can :slight_smile:

Do you recall a specific incident after which your symptoms began, or have your symptoms “crept up” since you began your hiking and running?

You mentioned short runs are okay. Do you have an idea what the “threshold distance” for your symptoms are?

1 Like

8/30/21

Cardio

Running: ~30 minutes

Back to the trails, started raining about half way through which was pretty refreshing.

@j4gga2 Appreciate it man, let’s see if I can get this put into words without too much rambling.

I don’t recall a specific incident such as a misstep or something, but back in July I did a 14 mile hike and after that was when I noticed consistent problems. The trail was rocky and unstable, and very wet, so I was slipping and sliding throughout the day.

My shorter runs are between 2.5-3.5 miles generally and they’ve been mostly fine. I noticed on a longer 6 mile run I had some swelling and soreness, similar to the hikes. That longer run was on a treadmill which I suspect had something to do with it. Generally I don’t experience pain or swelling until much later or the following day.

2 Likes

8/31/21

Press deload workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

Hangboard chins: (various grips)
4x10

Axle press:
50x10
80x5
100x3
120x1

Band ab crunch:
4x10

SUPER SETS (press - curl)

Standing DB press:
20x10
30x8
40x6
50x4
60x2x0
20x20

Axle curl:
30x10
40x10
50x10
60x10
70x7
30x50

SUPER SETS (dip - band)

Dips:
5x15

Band pull apart:
5x20

Lateral raise drop set:
15x10
10x20
5x30
Hands x40

Quick and solid workout. Chins felt silly strong even just using the wimpy little hangboard grips, so that’s cool. Press single moved fine.

Got pretty ambitious with those DB presses afterwards, had a good laugh at myself after the two failed reps with the 60s. The first rep I tried strict and that moved a few inches and came back down. Went for some leg drive next and they get higher but still no dice.

That lateral raise drop set at the end was vicious. About 4.5-5 minutes of agony right there.

1 Like

Well look mate, it actually sounds like you’ve got a pretty decent handle on it. Unfortunately, doing your hikes/runs is likely to irritate your knee if you exceed your threshold distance, but exceeding that distance is a requirement for your training for the 24 hour relay race, so I wouldn’t remove it entirely. If possible, I would aim to get the most training effect out of the lowest hiking volume possible, but I don’t know what that would be since I never even knew 24-hour existed.

Training-wise, your decision to re-prioritise single-leg exercises is a very good decision. I would also focus on slowly building your tolerance up to deep knee flexion. Front-foot elevated split squats, working on driving your knee over the big toe and allowing your foot arch to flatten. I wouldn’t jump right into this, but slowly build the volume and ROM up over time. If you notice this exercise is increasing your swelling and/or discomfort, I would try something else.

^ You don’t have to do this zercher-style, but it’s a good idea. Using two dumbbells or a goblet style are good ideas too. i wouldn’t recommend putting a bar on your back for this one though.

Finally, I would consider working on improving your access to tibial rotation, which is often involved in the type of symptoms you’re experiencing. Try this:

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

9/1/21

Cardio

Running: ~25 minutes

Back to the trail today, moving quicker solo as expected. Just beat the rain getting back to my car which was nice.

@j4gga2 Thanks dude! Will definitely look into those two suggestions. Appreciate you taking the time to share some insight.

1 Like

Happy to help brother, let me know if you’ve got any other questions

1 Like

9/3/21

Laziest bench day ever

SUPER SETS (bench - band)

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
170x3
210x1

Band pull aparts:
4x25

DB bench dropset:
70x9
60x6
50x6
40x7
30x8
20x12
Pushups x7
Bench pushups x4

Got my heavy-ish single in and just wanted to wrap things up in 5 minutes after so “ran the rack” on the DBs and bodyweight stuff to call it good. Rested only long enough to change the weights and jot down the reps.

1 Like

9/4/21

Fun and games

Kickball: ~1 hour

Volleyball: ~45 minutes

9/5/21

Cardio

Running: ~45 minutes

Dancing: ~2 hours

Last wedding weekend for a while. Hell of a month there, probably have another two summers like this I’d guess too given my age group.

Wedding was at a summer camp, which was awesome. Got a handful of hard runs in during kick ball, but ultimately that’s a game of mostly standing around.

Volleyball was so much fun, I haven’t played in years. I was pretty good back in high school, and after a few rusty moments I got my groove back and played a hell of a game.

Next day I couldn’t believe how sore I was. Shoulder was barking almost immediately after playing, definitely wasn’t ready for the spikes, but my lower legs were rocked from all the jumping. Didn’t seem to impact my running at all, but walking around was rough.

Danced the night away to top it all off. Got the lawn mowed this afternoon, and need to get my things in order then hit the road for work again. I’ll start my next week of programming tomorrow and just chill the rest of the day.

1 Like

Sorry man, not checked in in a while.

Hard keeping up with these logs😰

Still grinding my man

Hope all is well

1 Like

9/11/21

Cardio

Running: ~90-100 minutes

Not entirely sure what the time was on this, but it was hard. Went out with a teammate I’ll be running with at the race. It’s hilarious how bad I am compared to a runner out there.

Started out pretty solid, but we ran a decently technical trail and it kicked my ass. After a rough downhill my right foot went numb, and after a little longer my left did too. Shoes didn’t seem too tight, but I loosened them anyway. Limiting factor today was numb feet and the arches of my feet not being able to endure the beating. Lungs were working hard but if I could have focused my effort on a single task they’d have held up.

I think part of my issue was a poor footwear choice, but live and learn. Being a beginner at something again is good.

Got absolutely railroaded by work this week. I spent the majority of the week driving around in traffic, to get places and wait, and not sleep at hotels because I never can for some reason. No lifting, no running, nada. Honestly, I had plenty of chances to get in some conditioning workouts, but I just didn’t want to. My body actually does feel good after the break, and I probably needed it more than I care to admit.

3 Likes

9/13/21

Cardio

Treadmill run: 20m @ 6.5mph

Well, work is doing it’s thing again. Thought I’d be home this afternoon but it’s evening and I’m about 100 miles north of where I started and 90 miles west of where I live. Did this in cargo shorts and yesterdays clothes, but I got something relevant in. Fitness room was comically hot.

2 Likes

9/14/21

Leg workout

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x5
215x5
245x5

Incline standing ab wheel:
5x5

Hise shrugs:
135x13

SUPER SETS (pull - core)

Mat pulls: (7)
135x5
185x5
235x3x8

Dip bar leg raise:
5x5

BB shrugs:
185x14

Walking lunges:
BWx25/each

Would you look at that, I lifted some weights. Finally back home after what wound up being another pretty rough work trip nutritionally and sleep wise. Felt pretty sub-human when I got home and took a nap with my dog before I did anything. Slogged through this and cut out all the assistance work aside from the single leg stuff to just get it done and get out of the gym. Trips should be more predictable again after these two weeks.

2 Likes

9/15/21

Press workout

NG chins: (wide grips)
5x9

Axle press:
50x10
90x5
100x5
110x9
90x13

Band oblique crunch:
x10/side

GIANT SETS (press - raise - band)

BTN press:
75x2x8
75x6
75x5

Lateral raise:
15x4x10

Band pull aparts:
4x25

Lateral raise drop set:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

ALTERNATING SETS (dip - curl)

Dips:
x23
x19
x18

Axle curls:
50x20
40x23
30x25

Two days in a row. I am the model of consistency. Pretty happy with my main work today, normally after a long break I get floored by overhead pressing, and while this wasn’t the best performance I’ve put in at these weights, it wasn’t the disappointment I was expecting.

Supplemental was on point MMC wise. Brutal pump coming away from that. Upping the weight a bit on the lateral raise was the right move I think. Still light enough that it’s the muscles moving the weights, but requiring some real effort to move them. Made the drop set suck that much more too.

Didn’t have much left for the assistance work today. Dips were as tough as they’ve ever been and I basically just endured as long as I could before knocking out singles until the minute was over. For the curls I really tried to focus on making the biceps do the work. I’m fine with the numbers dropping on those for that reason as I was probably making them too much of an “arm” exercise chasing numbers than just crushing the intended muscles.

Great work Velvet keep it going

1 Like

9/16/21

Cardio

Trail run: ~40 minutes

Nice run today, couldn’t ask for better weather. Great trail too, a little bit technical but pretty easy to navigate. A good training trail for sure. Opened it up on the downhill sections which was fun and scary at times. Finished the last half mile running at a pretty hard pace which I haven’t been doing. Felt good to get that kind of work in.

2 Likes

9/16/21

Back workout

Overhand pullups:
BWx8
+10x8
+20x2x8
+15x7

SUPER SETS (band - row)

Band straight arm pulldowns:
3x12

BB rows:
135x3x10

Rear delt fly:
10x3x12

Band shrugs:
x100 rest/pause

Solid back workout. DOMS is trying its best to slow me down, but that’s what I get for not lifting for like 10 days. Going to sleep tonight is going to be the bees knees.

1 Like

9/17/21

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (row - bench - core)

DB rows:
70x5x5

Axle bench:
50x10
80x5
130x5
150x5
170x5

Band crunch:
5x10

GIANT SETS (bench - band - hang)

Axle bench:
130x5x10

Band face pulls:
5x10

Handboard shrugs:
5x10

Solid AM workout. Did this off an energy drink and granola bar. Got to bed around 230am last night, woke back up at 345 to pick a friend up at the rental car return station, back to sleep around 415, and up again at like 8. Silly night, but the weights were light and they felt that way which is a good sign.

Skipped assistance as I’m tight on time today, but planning on putting some dedicated tricep work at the end here I think.

9/20/21

Leg workout

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

SSB box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x3x8

Incline standing ab wheel:
1x6
4x5

Mat pulls: (7)
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x5

Dip bar leg raise:
1x6
4x5

BB shrugs:
225x11

Bulgarian split squat:
x25/leg

Band hamstring curl:
x30

Calf raises:
x10 slow reps

Band shin pulls:
x30

Band hip flexor raises:
1x10 - laying
1x10 - standing

Decent enough workout. Weights felt extremely heavy today, but that was to be expected. Had a weekend of pure hedonism at a friends bachelor party and I haven’t felt this exhausted and unhealthy in a while. Brain is still recovering from the abuse I subjected it to. I noticed when I forgot to do the Hise shrugs with the SSB at the end of the workout haha. 100% worth it though.

1 Like

9/21/21

Press workout

NG chins: (mid wide grips)
5x10

Axle press:
50x10
95x3
105x3
115x8
95x13

Band oblique crunch:
x10/side

GIANT SETS (press - raise - band)

Football bar press:
90x2x8
90x5
90x4

Lateral raise:
15x4x10

Band pull aparts:
4x25

ALTERNATING SETS (dip - curl)

Dips:
x29
x25
x20

Axle curls:
50x21
40x24
30x27

Pretty good workout today. Picked up a truckload of firewood that I unloaded and stacked, then helped a friend load the truck up with random stuff for a dump run before doing this. Happy with that top set, the way the eighth rep went up it felt like there was going to be a ninth, but when it came crashing down on me there was no turnaround available for it. Still a good effort and maybe a PR. I should be better about tracking that kind of thing.

Supplemental was spot on today. I was pretty gassed after the back off set, but was able to grind out two good sets to get the volume work started. Ran into a wall on the second two sets, but there was some good fight to be had there.

Assistance felt much more doable this week. Turning the curls into a bicep exercise rather than an arm exercise was the right call. Reps are way down, but that just means I can ride out these weights a lot longer. The pump I’m getting is sweet.

9/23/21

Pull workout

OH pullups:
BWx8
+10x8
+20x3x8

SUPER SETS (band - row)

Straight arm band pulldowns:
3x12

BB rows:
145x3x10

Rear delt fly:
10x4x10

Band shrugs:
x100

Solid workout, pullups felt pretty strong today. Seem to be lacking some MMC on the rows where as I had a great connection when they were the first exercise. Interesting but I don’t have machines and am too lazy to set up the landmine for T-bar rows right now. I’m digging the speed in which I can annihilate my whole back on this day.

Trail run a little later when my fiancee is home from work, should cool down a little by then too.

2 Likes