Velvet's Lifting and Other Fun Stuff Log

8/15/21

Cardio

Jogging: ~25 minutes

Alright, I think I’ve sweat out all the alcohol from the wedding I was at this weekend. This was all over the place pace wise, which is where I struggle most as a runner. I’ve been advised to operate at a comfortable pace during my training runs for now, which is hard for me to regulate.

I was planning on getting a longer run in this weekend, but it was so obscenely hot this weekend that I decided against it. Instead I went swimming for a while yesterday in the lake. Did about 6-7 (two songs) worth of treading water at one point which is a pretty brutal workout. I used to be a very strong swimmer when I was younger, but I sink like a stone now.

It’s all that muscle, baby. You’re rock hard.

Badum-TSH!

1 Like

Cause the times they are a changing.

2 Likes

8/16/21

Squat workout

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
190x5
220x5
250x5

Incline ab wheel:
4x6
1x5

GIANT SETS (squat - shrug - core)

SSB box squats:
190x3x8

DB shrugs:
70x2x11
70x10

Ring fall outs:
3x10

SUPER SETS (rdl - hang)

RDL:
135x10
185x5
235x9
185x14

Hang board shrugs:
4x10

BB shrugs:
185x9

Band shin pulls:
x30

Band hip flexor raises:
x10 laying
x10 standing

Calf raises:
x10

Weed whacked my yard for an hour before this since my push mower won’t run. Had a solid sweat going after that. Got stung by a ground wasp too, so I’ve got a war to wage tomorrow.

Worked out with the fiancee again, so the box was a bit higher. Funny that I’m much taller than her, but she’s able to squat deeper to the same box than me.

Shoulder is feeling a little wonky today. Been dealing with what feels like some minor impingement but I think my whack sleeping conditions this weekend messed with it.

Forgot to do Hise shrugs so just hit some regular old BB shrugs today, they actually felt decent for once.

@kdjohn Haha man I’d like to say that, but thinking about it, I should probably be more buoyant now than when I was a skin covered skeleton back then. Never pass up a good joke though.

@Koestrizer I think the reference is passing over my head haha.

1 Like

It’s from one of my favorite songs “…you better start swimming or you’ll think like a stone - cause the times they are a changing”.

The times they are a changing by Bob Dylan.

4 Likes

8/17/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

NG chins: (widest to narrowest grip)
4x12
1x11

Axle press:
50x10
90x3
100x3
110x10
90x15

Band oblique crunch:
x10/side

GIANT SETS (press - raise - band)

Football bar press:
85x4x8

Lateral raise:
4x10

Band pull aparts:
4x25

Lateral raise dropset:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

ALTERNATING SETS (dips - curls)

Dips:
x31
x26
x23

Axle curls:
50x29
40x32
30x41

Solid workout tonight. Shared the gym again with my fiancee today, who was also doing some overhead pressing. This meant slightly longer rests than usual between my main work while we plate swapped and stuff, and it showed as my sets felt so much stronger. Numbers wise I’m right where I figured to be, and I should’ve had more but I lost my balance on the top set towards the end and had to call the set there. On the FSL set I nearly crushed my windpipe on the final eccentric as my arms legit just gave out. A good effort I’d say. I’ll never understand why people are opposed to working in with another, even with a home gym it’s very much doable.

The football bar is an awesome overhead pressing bar IMO. I know some aren’t crazy about it with clearing the chin and stuff, but I have decent cervical extension capabilities so I’m not worried. It throws the weight out in front a bit and forces more of an arched back position. I’m guessing there’s good training effect for later in straight bar sets when you start arching more for leverage. Also get a real great pump with it, feels much more brute and less technical than using a straight bar.

@Koestrizer I can’t stand Bob Dylan, so that makes sense why I didn’t catch it haha. No offense of course, different strokes and all.

3 Likes

8/18/21

Cardio

Treadmill run: 60 minutes @ 5.5mph

Well, this was a handful of things. The longest treadmill run I’ve ever done, and the longest sustained run I’ve done in I don’t know how long.

This was never taxing on my cardiovascular system, I nose breathed throughout with no drama. I did sweat an absurd amount though, and wound up with some chafe in my armpit which is now super tender. Going without a shirt was probably not the right move.

First few minutes I was heel striking as I warmed up, then the next 45 or so I was landing on the balls of my feet which is how I prefer to run. The last 10 minutes were more heel striking though, because my lower legs couldn’t keep up any longer. Could have maintained that pace for much longer physically with the heel strikes.

Hardest part of this was the mental aspect. I hate running, especially so when it comes to the treadmill. It was the right move with the weather I have going on though. First 30 minutes weren’t so bad, but there was a lot of bargaining for the second 30. Not necessarily because I was tired, but the boredom was killing me. I was also very hungry and thirsty, so when the hour was done I was elated.

1 Like

8/19/21

Pull workout

BB row:
45x10
95x5
135x3
185x3
205x3
235x3x3

SUPER SETS (chin - band)

Overhand pullups:
+35x3x6

Band pullovers:
3x8

Underhand chin ups:
4x8

Face pulls:
x100

Solid workout, nothing too special to note from it. Rows were fairly strict, which is pretty crazy to me. Still think doing BB rows for low reps is silly though.

Knee has been pretty swollen from that run all day, definitely have some damage in there that it’s trying to protect. Going to continue to train through it and see how it holds up. Hopefully it’ll fix itself.

2 Likes

8/20/21

Bench workout

SUPER SETS (bench - band)

Axle bench:
50x10
100x5
150x3
170x3
190x7
170x9

Band high rows:
4x11
1x10

Bench press ladder: (no rest between sets)
100-120-130-140-150-140-130-120-110x5

GIANT SETS (tricep - tricep - chest)

Band pushdowns:
1x34
2x33

EZ bar PJR pullover:
45x2x10
45x11

Ring pec flys:
3x8

Hangboard hangs:
5x30s

Decent workout, felt very unstable on the bench today. Probably had more reps in me if I didn’t feel like I was going to topple over. Not sure if it was how I gripped the bar or my bracing with my weird knee. That thing is being quite troublesome today, I’m considering actually getting some images done to assess what’s wrong in there. Felt like it was going to give it a couple times today, and not sure if I flexed to protect it or it was locked up momentarily but totally not cool either way.

That bench ladder would definitely work better with a partner to help change plates and spot reps. Solo you get a little too much rest and have to be somewhat conservative.

Good pump at the end, those ring flys are tough.

1 Like

Yeeeeah buddy, love these.

1 Like

8/23/21

Cardio

Jogging: ~20 minutes on the train tracks

Pressed for time today so got in a little ankle strengthening work, lol. Running on the tracks sucks, but it’s convenient and is definitely a challenge on the lower leg stabilizers.

@kdjohn Man, my triceps are sore in way they haven’t been in a long time. That stretch is the real deal on those things.

2 Likes

8/24/21

Conditioning

20s on/10s off x 8 minutes:

Odd rounds: burpees
Even rounds: prisoner squats

Fiancee wants to squat with me later today again, so afternoon plans changed a bit. Was ready for the gym though so decided to just get a quick little burner in. This is a sweet no-frills workout. Upper back was cramping up pretty good for some reason.

8/24/21

Squat workout

Box squat:
45x10
95x5
135x5
200x5
230x5
260x5

Incline ab wheel:
5x6

DB shrugs:
70x3x11

SSB box squat:
200x3x8

Dip bar leg raise:
3x10

SUPER SETS (rdl - hang)

RDL:
135x10
185x5
235x10
185x15

Hang board shrugs:
4x10

Calf raises: (long stretch, long contraction, slow negative)
x10

Band shin pulls:
x30

Band hip flexor raises:
x10 laying
x10 standing

Band hamstring curls:
x30

Waiting to workout with the family proved to be a tough move today. Puppy was being a total pain in the ass, and things did not roll along smoothly like they have been. Last workout before a deload though and the sets moved super fast, can probably thank the long rest period for that.

This programming has definitely been getting my squat stronger, but I’m feeling the call to ditch the box and get back to just free squatting. I also want to start deadlifting again, though I’d probably opt for a reduced ROM.

I’m toying with the idea of alternating main work and supplemental work each week for each lift, then hitting my assistance work a little harder. I need to actual focus on rehabbing my knee, and single leg stuff seems to answer the mail there.

8/25/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

NG chins: (widest to narrowest grips)
5x12

Axle press:
50x10
95x5
105x3
115x7
95x13

Band oblique crunch:
x10/side

GIANT SETS (press - raise - band)

Axle clean and push press away:
95x4x8

Lateral raise:
10x4x10

Band pull aparts:
4x25

Lateral raise drop set:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

ALTERNATING SETS (dip - curl)

Dips:
x32
x28
x22

Axle curls:
50x30
40x32
30x40

Decent enough workout. Really wanted 8 on that top set, and I think it was there today but I couldn’t stay focused on grinding it out. Having the fiancee and puppy in the gym with me is proving to be a solid distraction.

That’s my best 5x reps chinning effort ever though, so that’s pretty cool. Not 100% sure where that’s coming from but I’ll definitely take it.

Good effort on the assistance at the end. Probably going to be nickel and diming reps as time goes on there. Seems like where one set improves, the following one lags. All about the effort there though.

8/26/21

Cardio

Jogging: ~20 minutes

Work got pushed back a little bit so decided to get outside for a quick run before I head in. Already starting to get hot and muggy so glad I was able to shift this to the AM instead of baking this afternoon or having to resort to the treadmill. Just ran on my road which is pretty hilly and paved. I don’t mind the hills as much as running on the pavement. Starting to get my gait dialed in pretty good though.

1 Like

@Voxel Hey dude, so for the sake of not clogging up Anna’s log I figured I’d ask you about the program you just posted about here. Is that something you paid for? If so, no need to share. But if it’s something that’s free and you don’t mind sharing I’d like to take a look at it.

Paid for. In the book Maximum Muscle Bible by CT and Paul Carter. It’s a CT program. I’d feel comfortable discussing it more abstractly via email if money is in short supply for you. I believe I can do so without giving away too much.

I believe the value lies in realising how little emphasis can be placed on conditioning, skill work, and oly-lifts while simultaneously pushing hypertrophy and strength. CT has worked with enough athletes, Crossfitters included, for me to buy-in with regards to trusting the programming.

1 Like

8/27/21

Pull workout

BB row:
45x10
95x5
135x3
185x3
235x3
255x2
275x1
295x1 (barely)

SUPER SETS (chin - band)

Overhand pull ups:
+45x3x6

Band pullovers:
3x8

Underhand chins:
4x8

Band face pulls:
x100

Got a bit silly today going for a 1RM BB row, but it’s deload time next week so why not. The rep at 275 was a solid, strict rep. The rep at 295 not so much, but it was hilarious to try and move that much weight on the row.

@Voxel Thanks for the heads up man, no need to discuss as that book has been on my “to buy” list for a while now. Just haven’t gotten around to it since I’ve got a pile of books waiting for me to finish already. Good to know there’s something I’m interested in it aside from general curiosity.

8/28/21

Bench workout

SUPER SETS (bench - row)

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
160x5
180x3
200x6
180x7

Band high rows:
5x11

A real “jack shit” kind of workout to end this cycle. Wanted 7, but that 6th rep took about 4 seconds to complete I’d guess, and I knew rep 7 would end on my chest since I’m too cool for spotter bars.

Leaning towards some BBB bench programming after this. I think the volume will do me some good.

1 Like

8/30/21

Deload leg workout

Box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x3
235x1
275x1

Incline standing ab wheel:
5x5

Hise shrugs:
135x15

SUPER SETS (pull - core)

Mat pulls: (7)
135x5
225x5
315x5
365x1

Dip bar leg raise:
4x5

BB shrugs:
225x7

GIANT SETS (lunge - band - calf)

Walking lunges:
BWx3x10

Band hamstring curls:
3x15

Calf raises:
3x5

Band shin pulls:
x20

Band hip flexor raises:
1x10 - laying
1x10 - standing

Just a quick 7th week deload type of workout. Removed one mat from the box to lower it a touch, feels better than when I removed a board, about half the thickness.

Reconfigured the ab wheel set up and it’s much more secure now, but at a slightly lower incline so the reps are a bit tougher. Not a bad thing.

Mat pulls felt solid, like home almost. Deads are just such a natural movement for me, so much more so than squats. It’ll be good to get back to doing some pulls.

It dawned on me that I made a massive mistake by removing lunges and unilateral work earlier this year when I started doing all that hiking. I figured all those steps could take their place, but what I wound up with is a knee injury. As soon as I finished my lunges though my legs felt so much better right away, and I realized my knees felt the best they had in years when I was doing lunges every week. Should’ve kept them in there all along. They’re making a comeback as I switch gears to more running. Speaking of which, going to get out for one a bit later when it hopefully cools off a bit.

@j4gga2 Hey dude, mind if I pick your brain about knee rehab? I’m working around what I suspect is either a lateral meniscus or an LCL issue. Post activity I’m getting a decent amount of swelling and loss of ROM (likely due to the swelling). It clicks and pops a fair amount, and occasionally feels like it’s going to randomly give out. It hasn’t locked yet, but does sometimes feel like it “catches” on itself. No pain really, and I’m not limited by it, but it’s definitely not right. I’d say there’s some occasional discomfort or like, awareness, throughout the day but I’m talking like 1-2 on the pain scale tops. Lifting doesn’t seem to bother it, short runs I’m fine too. I notice on longer runs, or hikes, or even dancing for a while cause more issue. I just wrapped up the 3rd of 4 consecutive wedding weekends so I’m going to hang up the dancing shoes for a while after this coming one.

Do you have any tips for knee rehab that I could work into my assistance work? I’ve got my one leg day per week, and need to hit 3 running sessions a week. I’m training for a 24hr relay race, so these are steady state duration runs rather than speed or power.

1 Like