5x10

Hangboard shrugs:
5x10

SUPER SETS (band - skulls)

Band pushdowns:
3x10

Axle skull crushers:
30x3x10

Solid AM workout. Was supposed to do this yesterday but wound up staying at work several hours longer than anticipated to help with some emergency stuff. Not ideal, but altruism is good stuff.

Leisurely plate change rests between the main work, then 90s between the supplemental stuff, and no rest on the assistance at the end. It’s probably worth the extra minute to set up the EZ bar for the skull crushers because it’s a pain doing them in the rack with the axle, smashed the j cups several times.

1 Like

9/26/21

Cardio

Trail + street run: ~6.75 miles

Went to a new trail network near my house with the intentions of doing the trails out and back from my car. Would have been about 8.5 miles. Trails wound up being much more challenging than anticipated, and it rained a lot so some of the clay areas were quite slick. I slid on my heel at one point for a good 12 feet and saw the other side for a moment. Decided I’d use one of the closer trail heads as my turn around point for a ~6 mile trail run, but I managed to blow right by that without noticing and got to the end of the 4.25 mile trail. On a schedule today so I decided to just take the road back to my car, which is about a 2.5 mile journey. By then, it had warmed up, the sun had come out strong, and there is no shade on that road. It’s also 80% uphill. Good stuff today, only took a few breaks from running to do some vigorous uphill hiking in the trails and to read some signs and try and make sense of where I was.

3 Likes

9/27/21

Leg workout

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
195x5
225x5
255x5

Incline standing ab wheel:
2x6
3x5

Hise shrugs:
155x15

SUPER SETS (pull - core)

Mat pull: (7)
135x5
205x5
255x3x8

Dip bar leg raise:
2x6
3x5

BB shrugs:
205x14

Reverse lunges:
x25/leg

Band hamstring curl:
x30

Calf raises:
x10 super slow reps

Band shin pulls:
x30

Hip flexor raises:
1x10 - laying
1x10 - standing

Decent enough workout. Left hip is bothering me a bit after that run, should heal up quickly enough. Leg day is such a drag lately. Weights moved quick enough today, but just never feel up to the task when it’s time to move them. But hey, that’s leg day right?

1 Like

9/28/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

NG chins: (middle grips)
5x11

Axle press:
50x10
80x5
100x5
110x3
120x6
100x9

Band oblique crunch:
5x10/side

GIANT SETS (press - raise - band)

Axle clean and push press away:
100x4x8

Lateral raise:
15x4x10

Band pull aparts:
4x25

Lateral raise drop set:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

Dips:
x50 rest/pause

Axle curls:
50x50 rest/pause

Decent enough workout. Clocked in about two hours of sleep last night and spent a lot of time behind the wheel nodding off on my way home. On a condensed schedule this week though so had to make it happen.

Really wanted a seventh rep on that top set, but couldn’t get it past my chin. Was cool to have enough gas to make the attempt and struggle there for a moment though. Normally those reps get shut down quick. That’s exactly what happened on my FSL set. I mistimed my re-breathe/brace after rep 9 and my body just basically shut down. Took two stabs at 10 but it wasn’t going anywhere.

Push press was actually fairly easy, just the lungs and lightheadedness are the factors there. Towards the end controlling the eccentric is challenging, but I get some good pop out of the ol’ legs.

Called an audible on the assistance so I could just get the hell out of the gym today. Wrapped it up in about half the time.

1 Like

9/29/21

Pull workout

Overhand pullups:
BWx8
+10x8
+25x2x8
+25x7

SUPER SETS (band - row)

Straight arm band pulldowns:
3x12

BB rows:
155x3x10

Rear delt fly:
10x4x12

Band shrugs:
x100

Super pump in my back after this workout today. Have a gnarly knot in my left shoulder from yesterday that’s been making anything overhead a challenge today, and that first set of pullups was tough. After that though, felt pretty decent and grinded out some tough reps.

I’ve decided to abbreviate the programming on this day into 3 week blocks rather than the 6 week blocks I was doing previously. Once that 24hr race is done I’m going to shift gears a little with my lifting approach, but I want to get through all four phases of HSS-100 before doing so.

9/30/21

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (row - bench - core)

DB rows:
70x2x6
70x3x5

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
150x5
170x5
190x5

Band ab crunch:
5x10

GIANT SETS (bench - band - hang)

Axle bench:
140x5x10

Band face pulls:
5x10

Hang board shrugs:
5x10

SUPER SETS (band - skull)

Band pushdowns:
3x10

EZ bar skull crushers:
35x3x10

Got all this done in 35 minutes tonight. Was absolutely cruising. First PM bench workout in a bit and it was noticeably easier. Also got hosed at work today and got home four hours later than I anticipated, with a whole to-do list still before taking off for a weekend work trip early tomorrow. Think I had some adrenaline helping me out down there today.

1 Like

10/1/21

Cardio

Running: ~45 minutes

Did some running through the city today on my work trip. First half was playing dodge-a-person since no one knows how to walk orderly in public. Made it to a river side park and did a few laps around that before heading back. Lots of people out getting their fitness on there which was cool.

2 Likes

10/4/21

Leg workout

SSB box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
195x3x8

3x6
2x5

SSB Hise shrugs:
185x11

SUPER SETS (pull - core)

Mat pulls:
135x5
225x5
255x5
295x5
335x5

Dip bar leg raises:
3x6
2x5

BB shrugs:
275x7

Front foot elevated split squats:
x25/leg

Band hamstring curl:
x30

Calf raises:
x10 - super slow and long stretch/hold

Band shin pulls:
x30

Band hip flexor raises:
x10 - laying
x10 - standing

Tough workout today. Not particularly heavy or anything, but I accumulated about 8.5 hours of sleep between Thursday and Saturday night and I’m still making up for that. Exhausted but that’s a work conference for the company I work for. All worth it in the end. Looking forward to getting another good nights sleep.

1 Like

10/5/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chins - press - core)

NG chins: (middle close grips)
5x12

Axle press:
50x10
95x5
105x5
115x8
95x10

Band oblique crunch:
5x10/side

BTN press:
75x4x8

Lateral raise:
15x4x10

Band pull aparts:
4x25

Lateral raise drop set:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

ALTERNATING SETS (dip - curl)

Dips:
x28
x24
x20

Axle curl:
50x25
40x27
30x36

Went on a 90m walk with my dog on the tracks behind my house, then came inside to do this. Felt pretty useless today and especially so walking in to start lifting, but was a decent enough workout.

Was thinking about moving towards some simple double progression for my press training for a little while. Part of me thinks it’s silly to stop doing 5/3/1 as it has been working for me, but another part of me wants to try something new and see how it goes.

Gonna head out for a short trail run in a little while.

10/5/21

Cardio

Running: ~30 minutes

Hit the trails with the dog for a little bit. Beautiful day outside in the sun. She’s passed out and snoring hard now.

2 Likes

Great work velvet

1 Like

10/6/21

Pull workout

Overhand pull ups:
BWx6
+15x6
+35x2x6
+35x5

SUPER SETS (row - pull)

BB row:
165x3x8

EZ bar pullover:
45x3x10

Chest supported DB row:
60x3x10

Band lat pulldown:
x100 rest/pause

Preceded this with another 90 minute dog walk on the train tracks, really can’t beat this weather but the ticks can crawl back to the hole to hell they came out of.

Elbow is feeling pretty junky lately. Minor case of tendonitis, this time on the outside! Always seem to be chasing it around somewhere. Noticed if I use straps and go thumbless on the BB rows it didn’t aggravate it too much. That’s always been a pretty safe move for me but I think maybe I’ve been too attached to it for a bit. Will rock it thumbless a little longer and see how I respond.

10/8/21

Cardio

Trail run: ~12 minutes

Quick one today as I was racing the sunset out in some thick woods. Pretty happy with my pace there. There’s a 1.5 mile loop plus a short access trail, probably about 1.75 total miles. Got stuck a little later at work so by the time I got out the sun was setting but I didn’t want to mess with a headlamp so instead of two laps I just did a single quick one. Leaves have started coming down so the roots being covered was fun. Definitely going back for a multi-lap trip sometime as it’s a really fun trail. Some hills but nothing overly demanding, lots of turns, and decent footing throughout.

2 Likes

10/9/21

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (row - bench - core)

DB row:
70x3x6
70x2x5

Axle bench:
50x10
80x5
135x5
155x5
175x5

Band ab crunch:
5x10

GIANT SETS (bench - band - hang)

Axle bench:
145x5x10

Band face pulls:
5x10

Hang board shrugs:
5x10

SUPER SETS (band - skulls)

Band pushdowns:
3x10

EZ bar skull crushers:
40x3x10

Solid AM workout for this one. Woke up, crushed most of a monster and a quest bar, then knocked this out in 35 minutes. Main work felt like garbage, supplemental work felt pretty strong. Probably going to start incorporating 30 second rest times in that assistance superset between the exercises, think that’ll help keep it “honest”.

1 Like

10/10/21

Hiking

Tumbledown Mountain

Didn’t keep track of time or mileage, but this was a relatively short hike. Beautiful spot though. Just a few days past peak foliage in this part of the state. Would’ve loved a sunny day but it was still super nice. A little too chilly to enjoy the swimming hole near the top of the hike.

It was a really enjoyable hike too, easy trail and fun trail. Little mountains are sweet.

2 Likes

10/11/21

Leg workout

Box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x3
205x5
235x5
265x5

4x6
1x5

Hise shrugs:
185x13

SUPER SETS (pull - core)

Mat pulls: (7)
135x5
225x5
275x3x8

Dip bar leg raise:
4x6
1x5

BB shrugs:
225x10

Peterson step ups:
x25/leg

Band hamstring curls:
x30

Calf raises:
x10

Band shin pulls:
x30

Band hip flexor raises:
x10 - laying
x10 - standing

Solid workout tonight. Went on an hour walk, then came home and pulled weeds for an hour before coming inside to do this. Wasn’t expecting much due to being somewhat under fed and having hiked yesterday, but I wound up feeling really good.

That’s my best set of 5 on any kind of squats which is pretty cool. Had some more in the tank too. Pulls felt like nothing. Think I’m starting to remember how to really attack those.

Peterson steps were nice. Need to get a bit higher for them but they hit the quads and hip in a special way.

1 Like

10/12/21

Cardio

Running: ~20 minutes

Quick run on the train tracks before getting on a work call. Wasn’t sure how much time I spent out there and played it safe so I wasn’t late. Wound up a little light on time, but running on the blasted rock is quite the lower leg workout compared to the packed trails I normally run on.

1 Like

10/12/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

NG chins: (close grips)
5x13

Axle press:
50x10
80x5
100x3
110x3
120x6
100x9

Band oblique crunch:
x10/side

Football bar clean and press away:
90x3x8
90x5

Lateral raise:
15x4x10

Band pull aparts:
4x25

Lateral raise drop set:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

Ran out of time tonight so I left my gym setup to knock out the assistance work in the morning tomorrow. Sat down on my couch with my dog for a second after my work call and opened my eyes 25 minutes later. Funny how that can happen.

Came up one rep short on my top set today for what I wanted. Got the seventh to eye level and after a moment of struggling it came back down. FSL set came to an end when I started falling asleep at the wheel on the last rep. Hit a similar brick wall on the last set of supplemental work. As I lowered the bar it just kept going down past the rack position and into my lap. Didn’t even realize what was happening until it was too late haha.

10/13/21

Assistance work

ALTERNATING SETS (dips - curls)

Dips:
x28
x25
x22

Axle curls:
50x25
40x28
30x37

Nice quick hitter of a workout. Spent like 14 minutes down there, 12 of which was the workout plus a couple minutes turning on the speaker and doing some band dislocates, then cleaning up.

Upper body is super sore from yesterdays workout, first sets of this felt like garbage as I was “breaking free from my mold” I’ll put it. Always exciting to have side delt DOMS.

Got in a long walk with the pup this morning and about to go on another. Also took out my ACs which is a fun way to navigate the home. Made sure to do that before my arms were pumped to hell. Got some lawn mowing on the docket for this afternoon as well.

10/14/21

Back workout

Overhand pullups:
BWx6
+15x6
+35x3x6

SUPER SETS (row - pull)

BB row:
175x3x8

EZ bar pullover:
45x3x10

Chest supported DB rows:
60x4x8

Band pulldowns:
x100

Another solid back workout. Used straps and a false grip on the BB rows and it completely solved the outer elbow irritation. Also felt much better overall that way, may have learned something here.

Digging those chest supported rows. When I get an adjustable bench they’ll be more of a staple since I won’t have to dominate my rack to perform them.